Go Bottom Go Bottom

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-30          65183

I am wondering if any of you use Amsoil products, and if you do how you buy it?

Do you order it direct or from an Amsoil dealership? The way Amsoil works almost anyone can become a dealer for a nominal fee. I had thought of getting a dealership, but you only get businesss if the customer uses your dealer number in the transaction, you cannot show prices and the customer has to be redirected to the Amsoil site for the transaction. If they don't complete it with your dealer number and order later you lose the sale.

Hence I lost interest.

Let me know your thoughts on Amsoil, I have never used it and it costs more than anything else I buy.

Dennis
TractorPoint

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-30          65185

I used it in the 80's and was very impressed with it, but no more so than any other synthetic. I bought a new 1984 VW Scirocco and installed a turbo kit on it after the warranty was up. I put 120k miles on it before finally blowing a head gasket (opened the wastegate too far!). When I pulled the head there were still saw machine marks on the cam lobes! The first 12k miles were on dino oil and probably half the remaining miles were will Amsoil and the other half were with SL-1 synthetic oil.

I purchased it directly from an Amsoil dealer - gave him money and left with a case of it. Even though it's a great product I don't think I'd use it again. Last I heard Amsoil doesn't submit their products for API testing, so they aren't certified. Amsoil will tell you that their products meet and exceed API standards, and I wouldn't doubt that, but that doesn't carry much weight if a warranty claim is denied for using products that aren't certified to meet manufacturer requirements. Besides, I like Mobil-1 for my gas engines and it costs less than Amsoil. I'm not sure yet what I'll use in my tractor. ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-30          65193

I used their 2000 Series 75W-90 in the axles of my Suburban and in the transmission of my Nissan, the Synthetic Universal Transmission fluid in the Suburban transmission, and the Marine 15W-40 synthetic with VERY good results. I bought my Amsoil from some gal named Cheryl. She gave me dealer pricing so I would buy several cases at once. She went through a divorce and I am not sure if she is still in business but her toll free business phone number is 1-888-576-3383. (it has been a LONG time since I talked with or order from her, not sure if this number is still good) She was a fun to shoot the bull with; she could talk tech, motors, and equipment with the best of them! It is good oil but if you change oil at regular intervals, it is not very cost effective unless you are in an extreme climate. Some of their oils are not API licensed as Ken said but neither is John Deere oil for that matter. I mostly use the axle oils now and use the John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50 oil in most of my vehicles and equipment. For the tractor it may be fine to use if you are like me and change the oil annually. But for use in my Cummins, definitely not at 11 qts. of oil every 4000 - 5000 miles. Give it a try and see what you think. Some other good synthetics out there are Mobil 1 Delvac, Chevron, John Deere 0W-40 Plus 50 synthetic, and Shell 5W-40 Rosmella T synthetic. The Shell and Mobil oil you can catch on sale at Wally World if you keep an eye out. ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-01          65219

I tried some Amsoil in the late 1970s. It worked fine. I researched the different types of synthetics at the time. I am definitely a fan of synthetic oil.

I have not continued to use Amsoil because of difficulty getting it. I moved away from the first dealer's territory. In recent years the major companies developed their own reasonably priced synthetics that were available from any autoparts place and most gas stations.

I am not looking for it anynore, so even if my next door neighbor sold Amsoil I would continue on with Mobil 1 and Rotella synthetics.

BTW, I don't leave synthetics in as long as some people say you can. I change them at the interval prescribed by the equipment manufacturer. Some people leave the synthetic in for up to 25K miles on a vehicle, but I don't think that it is a good idea because of the contaminants that get into the oil and the fact that you need at least five oil filter changes to go that distance. ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-01          65224

Same story here. When I started using Amsoil it was the only game in town.

Now there is simply no reason to wade through the religious pyramid marketing hogwash to obtain synthetic oil, especially at Amsoils inflated prices. ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
Murf

2003-10-01          65233

We used some in high stress applications, trannys, axles, etc., but not in the engines, mostly because of cost.

Our machinery mostly runs under what would be best described as 'extreme conditions' by anyones standards, long hours in choking dust, deep mud or blinding snow storms. Oil changes are often done more than once per WEEK based on accumulated run times.

We buy Shell Rotella 15w-40 in bulk from our distributor, we have a bulk tank in the shop and a smaller one in the service truck for on-site maintenance. It goes into absolutely EVERYTHING, even the Kohlers on our mowers and my wife's V-12 BMW. Never had a problem yet.

Best of luck. ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
TNTStanifer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-06          82297

I use Amsoil in all my vehicles and tractors. www.1210007.ultimateoil.com This will give more info on the products. If you have any question's email me. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-04-09          82583

I used it in my '95 Dodge Ram with a 360 with excellent results. At -10 degrees in a Michigan winter and having sat overnight it started up like it was 80 degrees out! Here in SE Michigan it seemed veryone was selling AmsOil. But now I can buy it off the shelf at my local autoparts called "Murrays" ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
agentorange

2004-04-10          82651

I use it in all my vehicles/equipment.
The top name synthetics are all good stuff.
I've always found it interesting that although many say that there is no difference between dino oil and synthetic the same will say not to use it until the normal "break-in" time is past.
Could that be because synthetic is a superior lube and will not allow the proper "set" in an internal cumbustion engine setup? I think so. Interesting.
I put it in any place where lubrication is needed.
The extended drain intervals are fine but I don't go to long beyond normal change.
I ask a lot of my engines. I use synthetics whenever possible.

good luck - have fun
-ao ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-10          82696

Murph
(Our machinery mostly runs under what would be best described as 'extreme conditions' by anyones standards, long hours in choking dust, deep mud or blinding snow storms)
So I take it that you dont work on the NICE day every week? LOL (just kiddin) ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
Raleigh

2004-04-20          83700

I've used Amsoil since 1989. I also go for extended drain. That's where you see the savings.

I use 15w-40 Marine heavy duty diesel engine oil in my tractors and the Hy-trans syn. also. I've had great success with it.

Got a dodge with 209,000 on it now and has had one oil change per year since 1992. It's a 90 model and had 56,000 on it when I bought it used. Change filter at 6 months and change everything at 12 months. Gear oils and grease are also great products. ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
steiny

2005-04-19          110046

I've had good luck with Amsoil. If you find a dealer, you can order online, no problem. I've used it in boats, cars, trucks and tractors. If you learn how to use it and test your oil, you can get so many hours out of a change that it is actually not expensive; change intervals have gone beyond 60,000 miles in vehicles with routine filter changes. You have to use the Amsoil filters to get the 2 micron filtration and for very extended use, go to a by-pass filter. Your oil will stay clean. I use these on marine applications and change oil once a year. My engines are going fine now after 20 years. All synthetics are not the same and filtration is the key--learn about them or forget about them, they're not for the uninformed. ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
tsterkel

2005-09-03          115878

I would,

IFF

Amsoil would submit their oils, like everyone else!, to independent certification.

until then, why would anyone use it? ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-09-03          115889

I use amsoil 2 stroke for everything with no problems.
I got tired of having several cans of different ratios of mix, I use it as directed 1 bottle for 5 gal of gas for /
johnsered 930 chain saw 40:1
stihl 046 chainsaw/fs85 trimmer 50:1
allen 218 si suzuki hover mower 50:1
craftsman 42 cc brush cutter that uses 16:1{still kick in}
craftsman 37 cc saw 40:1
snapper wheeled trimmer 32:1
and I use my equipement HARD !!! ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
duke8444

2005-09-05          115945

I have use the Amsoil and filters in my cars for years. But I always use the 7,500 mile product and change the oil and filter at near the 75K. I beleive it is better to get the old oil and filter out at some specific point. I personally never had a problem with their product. I do not plan on use it in my tractors. No particular reason, but I will just stick with it in my cars. ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
tsterkel

2005-09-23          116789

Let me know your thoughts on Amsoil, I have never used it and it costs more than anything else I buy.

Dennis
TractorPoint

Simple for me. 30 years with no API or any other independent certification. Why the reluctance to do what even the ultra cheap oils submit to???

If this was a cheap oil, say $1.50 per quart, MAYBE I would consider it. But it is easily the most expensive outside of limited distribution Euro specialty oils.

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-09-23          116790

I use Amsoil in my Jeep Grand Cherokee - only because I got tired of changing oil in 3 cars so often and my trusted mechanic (that I purchase it from) highly recommended it and uses it also. My mechanic really is a good guy - the sort of person who gives you parts at cost when he thinks they are too expensive. So I took his word for it (also knowing he makes good money on it).

I had used Amsoil in my Honda Accord until the dealer did me a "favor" and gave me a free oil change without asking me. :) ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
mowrey1999

2005-09-27          117038

Just giving my impression of amsoil, I have used amsoil in several vehicles,It is definately more expensive but I feel you get what you pay for , I have torn down automotive engines and where the gasket contact surface meets oil such as oil pan or around intake manifolds you see the gaskets crumbling or flacking and are so brittle they fall apart in your hand .From what I have seen on synthetic oils is the oil can take more heat so the gaskets dont become brittle and still stay lubricated and pliable unlike regular dino oils,that is not a guarantee the gaskets will stay good and not get brittle because you use synthetic oil because if you run a 7500 mile synthetic oil for 25000 miles it might not be doing its job any more and gaskets get brittle also, I still believe no matter what oil you run the most important item you can do is have a good quality clean air filter to keep contaminates out of the motor and cylinders, the other important item is a good oil filter and good oil,I think just as important as the oil are good air and oil filters that do a better job than the avg 2.50 fram filter.again I feel you get what you pay for so saving a few cents may sound good in the short term but may get you later.I have also read that synthetics are not all the same, The reason mobil 1 is cheaper and castrol ect is they are not 100 % synthetic they are a blend of synthetic and regular oil and claim to be synthetic but are not just a blend ,It seems today marketing lets companys get away with about everything,the synthetic oil in the product is 100% synthetic, but they dont tell you that it only makes up 20 % of the product in the can thats why the price is cheaper. so by saying synthetic on the label only means it has a percentage of synthetic in it and as far as I know royal purple/redline/and amsoil are possibly the only 3 that are fully synthetic or 100% of the product in the can is man made thats why the price difference, there may be another but I know these are the blended 80/20synthetic like mobil 1 or the others.I feel the reason oil companys auto manufacturers ect dont want you to run extended range oil or allow synthetic oil in there engines is if everyone was changing oil between 15 and 25,000 miles look at the easy money they would be loosing, /Ford /Chrysler and the others make make a killing off oil changes,and the auto industry definately can,t afford to loose any more money GM is almost in bankruptcy now as well as ford.My local dealer told me several people that had bought vehicles run synthetic oil they just suggest the interval be what is recommended,It wansnt it couldnt be used and it didnt void the warranty, chevrolet uses mobil 1 in the corvette right out of the factory,I used valvoline motor oil for years and never had a engine failure due to a oiling related issue and always used good air an oil filters and faithfully changed them,currently I use amsoil and change oil every 25000 miles or 1 time a year and change all filters 2 times a year and have never had problems , I dont mind paying extra for the oil since that is 8 regular oil changes/filters at 3000 miles and less time under the vehicle for me with just as good results.and overall it is cheaper if you figure total costs of filters and total oil I would have used.Also I saw someone who said why doesnt amsoil submit there oil for API or independant certification,I would think that obvious?they have proven they are superior and have plenty of satisified customers to back there claim Who is API-< American Petroleum institute> Owned by the big oil companys and definately not a independant testing agency,and what independant company can give a oil the API stamp other than API ?NONE - ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-09-27          117041

1) I don't believe that Mobil 1 is a partial synthetic. They have a partial on the market and label it so.

2) Mobil 1 has an extended drain interval version of their synthetic oil.

3) Several engines run on Mobil 1 have gone a million miles. If you can get better performance than that, it would really not matter.

4) Amsoil has a screwy, multi-level, marketing system that ADDS TO THE PRICE OF THE OIL.

5) Since they will not apply for standard testing, you will probably void your warranty by using it in the warranty period.

6) As a former Amsoil dealer who was invited out the door because I was not a "true believer", I can tell you that Amsoil does not have the market cornered on high tech oil.

BTW... My "sin" was that I tried to sell the product in a retail environment and not out of my garage, bypassing the whole "discipleship" aspect of the program.

Good Riddance, I say.

Finally, every engine I have run on Mobil 1 (with yearly oil changes... in a severe environment) that has been opened up for whatever reason, has shown zero measurable wear on any moving parts.

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
mowrey1999

2005-09-28          117096

I still feel it is as much good filters as well as good oil that will make your engine run a long time, as far as going 1 million miles that mobil 1 claims that isnt uncommon at all in the trucking industry about every oil can make that claim, shell rotella/chevron/sunoco oil and more and that is there standard oil not synthetic. as far as amsoil having the market cornered on synthetic I dont make that statement,I said amsoil has a loyal following of customers who after using it feel it is superior to other products out there,As far as the API rating on oils I feel it is like the good housekeeping seal useless, ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
tarbaby

2005-11-20          119608

when you want the best you pay more and I'm sold with amsoil in all my vehicles, tractors,and hydro trans also, I have noticed a quite difference in the motor and HST, check out the amsiol.com web site for more info. ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
Luckyfly

2007-08-27          145105

I own a Ford 2000 purchased in 1965, and a Ford 3400
purchased in 1969. I have been running Amsoil in each since
1983. They have gasoline engines and I change the oil and
filter every 2 years. Both tractors have seen better days,
but the engines run like new and use no oil. Neither has had the heads removed. These engines have thousands of hours.
I'm going to purchase a new compact tractor next month and
you can bet it will be running on synthetic oil of some
type. I will change the motor and hydraulic oil to synthetic as soon as it breaks in.
I'm retired now, but I was in the backhoe business for
35 years. I found out real fast that synthetic lubes made
my trucks,cars and tractors last for decades.
Do synthetics cost more? Not the way I figure it.
It is very expensive to rebuild tractors. My friends in the
excavation business would trade tractors about every 5 to
8 years. This costs $$$$$$$$$$!
One of my tractors is 42 years old!
I retired when I was 55 years old. Having equipment that
lasted helped me do this.

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
crunch

2007-08-27          145110

I use Amsoil in my Jeep Cherokee based on my local mechanics recommendation and he also sells it. (I trust him even though he sells it.) He offers free oil changes when you buy from him - but I do it myself anyway just as a matter of convenience. ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
bloggins

2007-08-30          145212

I had a 6-month membership with AMSOIL ($15) and put their product in the tractors engine, hydraulic unit, MMM box and front axle. I chose AMSOIL because I couldn't find any other alternative other than automotive synthetics in my area. Also AMSOIL delivered to my door within 2-days of placing the order! This past winter was a breeze with the synthetic hydraulic oil in the system. The FEL & 3-Pt performed well after start-up as if it was warmed-up. The quirky membership arrangement and group-hug newsletters are bizarre...I just want oil...not a society. ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
ihookem

2007-09-02          145295

I have been using Amsoil in my GMC duramax for 40k miles (only) but started using it for extended drains. At 15k miles drains it is the same price as regular oil.I am going to go 25k with 5-10k filter changes though. Wisconsin winters is where it excells cause we all know most engine wear is the first few seconds of start up. I have not put an Amsoil sample in the freezer yet to see if it stays thin but am sure it's better than regular oil. I know a guy who has a Ford diesel and has not changed oil in 70k miles. Doing an oil analasis every 15k with a 30 dollar Amsoil filter once a year the test comes back as good oil every time. Do a search on 409,000 mile oil drain interval and you will find a Mack truck owner that went 409,000 miles without an oil change(Amsoil of course) Taking the engine apart in front of mechanics and engineers and finding the engine was still in good shape. They put the engine back together with the same parts! You will find more stories like this soon as time passes and more owners use Amsoil. I have used Mobil 1 lots of times but will stick with Amsoil cause they insist 25k changes are ok for their oil. Mobil 1 claims 1 million mile engine life at 15k intervals but that is a far cry from the oil change intervals we are starting to hear about with Amsoil.So maybe Mobil 1 isn't all synthetic. Amsoil is cheap compared to engine rebuilds, and changing oil every 3-5k miles is granpas way of doing things and is down the path of non radial tires, points (remember them?) transister radios,and black and white tv's. Someday regular oil won't be sold. I also am partial to Amsoil cause it's from little town of Superior, Wisconsin and not from big oil that has enough advertisement money to get the whole world to believe them. With the little money Amsoil spends compared to big oil for their synthetics it's amazing they have not been bought out from BIG OIL for BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and shut down. They are doing well and it's probably cause they are the best. Next oil change in my Kubota will be Amsoil ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
pelletfarmer

2007-09-03          145310

Hey, Murf...do you get away with 15/40 all year cuz your stuff is running all the time? Or are they always starting in heat?

'Round here (northern mid-Mich or southern north-Mich depending on your POV!), Deere and the dealer seem to say 5/30. The newer Ford cars are insisting on 5/20. No problem with 15/40 in winter?

There sure are a lot of opinions on this. Maybe someone could try no oil and report back! jk ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
cutter

2007-09-03          145320

I am switching myself. I have been using Shell Rotella full synthetic with extended changes in the vehicles but generally never more than 5k. Changed the boat engines over last year.

Spoke to the Jeep dealer and he recommended changing the transfer case and axles over to Amsoil since I am planning on using it in the engine, says that will increase economy. And they are not an Amsoil dealer so really have nothing to gain with those comments. ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
Murf

2007-09-04          145330

We run Shell Rotella 15W-40 in everything, mostly because it's a) what our distributor sells, and b) because we only have one bulk tank setup so everything gets it's oil out of that one tank. ;)

The thicker oil is no big deal for us in the winter since even the units that aren't parked where a plug in (not many) is possible get a 'farmers pre-heat' before they start anyways. FYI, for those unfamiliar with the term, a 'farmers pre-heat' is the truck exhaust blowing across the engine / trans. for a while while the genset in the back of the truck powers the block heater, oil heater and battery charger.

I have looked into Amsoil and other synthetics, but with a good maintenance schedule and therefore clean oil, it was just extra money spent for nothing.

There are several machines that have been rotated out of the fleet and sold to people I know who now have 12,000+ hours on them without having any problems or repairs so far.

Best of luck. ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-09-04          145363

Somebody please explain why you would have to buy a membership to buy oil. That seems as silly as buying a Sam's Club membership to make the Waltons the richest family in the country, sorry I just won't do that. The Amzoil type thing likely has some benefit for the long haul never shut down engines, but most of us rarely warm our tractor engine enough in the winter to rid it of the water let alone the acids. The short run type use demands frequent changes just to keep the acids and water out. A friend of mine bought an 80-somrthing Ford E-150 van and ran it like 300 some thousand miles till the body fell off.
He used the cheapest oil that the Fleet Store sold that had the proper rating called for in his owners manual, but he did insist on a high quality filter. He was in the light delivery business driving two or three hundred miles daily. It just doesn't fit my type of engine use. Frank. ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
Murf

2007-09-05          145378

Actually Frank from an engineering point of view the 'long haul never shut down engine' is the last one to need the extra qualities of an Amsoil type of product.

That's another reason we don't bother with it.

The cold start and uneven engine temps is what demands extra protection. Our machines will often run 48 hours straight during storms, they only get shut off if there's a problem, they even get fueled while running, it's the only way to prevent the temps from spiking without the coolant circulating and the fan running.

Best of luck. ....

Amsoil Oil do you use it

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-09-06          145423

I was excommunicated from Amsoil 25 years ago and now I go to a different church. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login