Go Bottom Go Bottom

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-05          107296

And I don't mean the orange colored diesel tractor type. My neighbor that I met just the other day told me that I had several dens of coyotes on my property. (gee........I wonder how he knows that???????......but that is another story)

The night before last, while at the ranch I went outside to "water the lawn" and I heard a coyote howling out by my barn that is about 100 yards from the house. I stood quietly and listened while looking if I could see him. He howled a few more times and then it seemed like the entire back hill side forest lit up with howls. So many that I would venture a conservative guess of at least 20 or more.

I have noticed a lot of droppings from them but never encounterd them until now. I had NO idea there were this many. It was like a dog kennel moved in! :O) Not exactly my idea of the wildlife I want to see on my property as they are very distructive; not so mention their nasty habits of feeding on the kids pets. Looks like its time to break out the Ruger .223 Ranch rifle or maybe the 25-06.

These criters are INCREDIBLY sneeky and tough to get a glimpse of much less get a shot at. These guys are very cunning and whilley. As soon as I put the spot light on them; the "coyote symphony" IMMEDIATELY went silent and I did not see a one of them. (not that I thought I would)

Any of you guys have any experience with getting rid of coyotes??? I am going to have a chat with the game warden and University of TN extension agent about this. I will also be working on a wildlife management plan with the NRCS in the mean time in which I hope to get some good info. about this. I would appreciate any tips or suggestions from those who have had to deal with this issue.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-05          107302

My brother chases these critters. They use 2-3 teams with pick ups and the marine radios to stay in contact. They do a couple each week. They usually have to shoot the critters on the run. Some of the shots are so long he has to lead by 30+ feet and try to at least knock em down for a kill shot. They have run some of these over 5 miles. Their ranges are huge. BTW he uses a 223 semiautomatic and burns a lot of ammo.

Me being basically a long range pecker would opt for a laser ranger and a heavy barrel varmit. 7mm08 or 308, hi quality target scope, hand loads with spt and boat tails set up on a high spot in the shade with a cool N/A beverage and go to work. BTW I like still shots for a clean 1 shot kill.

With your dens if you can find them. You might try smoking them out and executing them or drop in the poison gas cartridges. Which ever is easier for you morally. They are not dumb and will git the hint real quick. You will have to be real aggresive to win this battle. ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-03-05          107316

They are not hard to kill. I have dropped them with a .22 LR HP (under 75 yards of course). ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-03-05          107317

Around here and in North Dakota, they hunt them with several dogs. Get the dogs chasing thm and then swap out the dog with a fresh one to wear the coyote down. Then, when you get a clean shot, you drop 'em.

You may be able to set up in a tree stand towards dusk and pick them off with a rifle. They'll get wary pretty quick, but some may move on if you keep it up. ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
plots1

2005-03-05          107321

The new 17. cal will work'em over pretty good to under a 100 yards. ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
poolman67
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-05          107333

I have about the same problem here in Arizona. I bought a "wounded rabbit" audio tape at a local sporting goods store. I put the tape in a boom box and get up on the roof of my shop so I can see the area all around my house. I wait until just before sunset and fire up the tape for just a couple minutes. This has resulted in a coyote meeting my 223, and his maker everytime. After a couple nights and good kills, the pack moves on down the road for at least a couple weeks, then they come back into my area again. It not only keeps them away for awhile, but also provides great fun. Try it, you'll like it. ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
funchy

2005-03-05          107339

Not to ask a stupid question, but have they actually done any harm ? Have you actually verified there the infestation your friend said was there?

Coyotes are a problem now because people shot ever wolf they could find. Rodents and other small animals have become a bigger problem because we kill off all the predators. Coyotes do kill certain pest rodents, insects, and rabbits. As long as they're not immediately threatening your livestock or pets, they might be doing some good. Just something to consider. ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
paulss

2005-03-06          107383

Randy,

You could declare war on coyotes, bring in the Air Force, Army and Marines, bomb and napalm everything in sight and there would still be plenty of them left. They are extremely adaptive and the ultimate survivor. In the event of a nuclear holocaust I firmly believe that the only things to survive would be coyotes, feral hogs and cockroaches. A coyote living near humans would much rather eat dog/cat food or a cat or small dog than go through the trouble of chasing down a rabbit, mouse or rat. They are opportunists and will usually pick the easiest target.

As someone mentioned earlier, if you have a portable cd/cassette player (even better if you can detach a speaker and run it a distance from your set up) there are tapes that you can buy to call them in. Or you can buy a mouth call that is just as effective with a little practice. If you have a good vantage point, sit with the wind in your face and be ready. They will not stick around long. In areas with limited visibility, I find that a decoy helps keep their attention. There are a number of rabbit decoys available or you can use anything that looks reminiscent of an animal. I've even used a raccoon tail mounted on a stick. A length of mono fishing line attached will allow you to give it movement.

Good luck.

Paul

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
harvey

2005-03-07          107409

I had another brain cramp on this. I'm ah thinkin a very good night vision scope might be in order also.

You will really need to check your hunting regs. Up here the DEC really frowns on any type of night hunting. We do have people that chase racoons, but I've never done that.

With some of the newlaws the DEC can confisticate anything you use in the comission of a game violation including your new pickup. ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-03-07          107419

Lion, There are two ways of thinking about lots of coyotes. Either they're a problem, or a great hunting resource. Many really get into setting up with their electronic or manual calls and take the challenge of bringing them in. If you are the type to get into the hunt, you could have months of fun.

If you're interested, below is a link to a company that has downloadable animal sounds. Lots of distress type calls. They can be written to a CD and played though most any personal DVD player or boom box. If nothing else, it's fun to listen to them.
Dave ....

Link:   Distress sounds

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
Murf

2005-03-07          107424

Randy, just as in any other war, the trick is to know your enemy and use it to your advantage. The other point I'm sure you already know is the advantage of elevation.

We have big problems with coyotes up here. We have developed special tactics for dealing with them.

The fastest method is shooting, it involves baiting them below a vantage point. The trick is that coyotes are both very cautiuous, and possess great sent abilities. However, they quickly get used to human presence, this will work to your advantage.

Find a nice hill with good, very long, lines of sight. Start by laying bait, already killed ground hogs work well, at the base of the hill, towards where the coyotes live. Then scratch out a good prone shooting spot on top of the hill. Develop a walking trail that leads past the bait station to the hilltop. Then start laying out bait, only add new bait when the old is gone.

The coyotes will quickly learn to ignore your scent and eat the bait. In the beginning they will go past the bait to follow your scent to the hilltop and back. Never walk past your shooting position. After a short time the coyotes will stop going to your shooting position, because neither you or any food are there.

Then pick a moonlit night to start the hunt. You may, depending on the numbers, want to invite some other shooters. Shoot only from the prone and choose your targets before they even arrive. The shooter far left takes the animal far left and so on. A coyote will hear you even whisper from an amazing distance.

A heavy barrel .223 or similar works well since you want a very flat trajectory to negate windage and elevation adjustments. You will have to fire very quickly after the first shots so start with the furthest animals, or wait for them to all come in to feed.

Best of luck. ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-03-07          107428

Randy:
I use a Johnny Stewart CD player with CD's. The coyote pup distress and rabbit distress tracks seem to work good. You want to shoot in an open area of over 100 yards and sit in a clump of trees. I have my best luck just before dusk or during sunrise. They can smell you over a hundred yards away so watch the wind direction. I use my Colt AR-15 with 20, 30 or 40 round clips, target model chambered in .223 for shots up to 250-300 yards. For fast moving shots I use my Colt 4X tactical scope so you can follow them while running. For real long shots, I use my Browning single shot 1885 chambered in .22-250 with a Harris Bi-pod and Leupold Vari-X III with 6 1/2-20 power. I use that for shooting straight down dike trails up to 400 yards.

In Michigan you need a fur bearer's license unless on private property where the critters are causing property damage. In Michigan you can also hunt after dusk with rim fires only. You may want to check out regulations in your area.

For nights I have an H&R single shot chambered in .17HMgn. Only use Hornandy ammo. Other brands don't hold true. I also have 8X Russian Nightvision Binoculars.

If you find some fresh roadkill, hang it on a rope from a tree several feet from the ground so they need to struggle to get it. On a good moonlite night about 75-100 yards from an outbuilding works good. You can pick them off like flies.

Your welcome to borrow my caller and CD's. I can UPS it to you. I won't part with my guns though! Sounds like fun, if you have beer, could stop by for a visit! ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-03-07          107429

Well you can spend $50 to $500 on a game caller, and $800 to $13,000 for a night vision riflescope - then spend your nights hunkered down in the cold.

Or - you could buy a $150 llama. I was losing 2 sheep a day till I bought the llama on July 3rd. Lost two more sheep that MONTH, and none since.

//greg// ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-03-07          107433

greg_g
I've never heard of that one. Do the llama taste bad, stink or kill the coyotes? ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
Murf

2005-03-07          107434

Llama, like donkeys, are very serious about herd protection, they will lure in, and then kill coyotes.

Most of the farms around here that still raise sheep have donkeys. They will drive the herd to a hilltop or high point in the pasture at sunset and keep them there till dawn.

I watched a donkey get a coyote years ago. A jake donkey hobbled around in a fake a limp and made funny sounds till the coyote came in close, then he spun around and gave him a rear hoof in the side of the head. The coyote flew about 10 feet and flopped down in a heap, it never got up again, but the donkey walked over to it and stomped it some more just for good measure.

I'd like to know where you can buy a $150 Llama though, even ones well past breeding up here sell for thousands as living lawn ornaments.

Best of luck. ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-03-07          107436

Its a bit off the topic, but a mate of mine had an ostrich that used to look after some sheep I had at his property in South Africa. Fab watchdog, would kick the heck out of anything that came near the sheep. He used it to prevent stock theft of chickens (which was rampant) after it kicked a donkey that was in the same paddock. The donkey had it's scrotum ripped open and the testicals were hanging out for all to see. After it was castrated he had a sangoma (witchdoctor) spin a story to the local tribesmen about how the donkey got too close to the chicken run and that was the result. Stock theft dried up overnight, I guess the would be thieves did not want to be robbed of their manhood.

On the coyote issue, whatever you decide to do it might be nice to let the neighbour know you will be blasting away one night. ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
Chief

2005-03-07          107444

I talked to the game warden about and he knows what I am up to. He also said no spot lights allowed. I would imagine that applies to night vision devices. Don't have any neighbors. ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-03-07          107445

Llamas have a genetic disposition to dislike ALL canines. They will chase/bite/kick/and generally make intruders unwelcome. They're quite respectful of us two-legged critters though.

The predators that were crippling/killing my sheep apparently gave up and moved on to easier pickin's. Cuz even the sheep in unguarded pastures aren't being bothered anymore

//greg// ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
Ducati996

2005-03-07          107468

After what I just heard I guess a couple of male chimpanzies could do the job effortlessly !!

In case it was missed in the news, two male chimpanzies attacked and mutilated a large male human being...The guy survived but half his face is missing, along with a foot, and groin, and dragged him around like a toy...I applogize for bringing this up, but I see chimpanzies in a new light altogether. They could wipe out
just about anything, including a small town...:( ~~

Ducati ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
Dylan1

2014-04-22          190152

Poolman67
If you are the guy advertising for caretaker help
contact Dan
208/866/7864 ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
greg_g

2014-04-23          190158

I hope you realize Dan that you're addressing a nine year old thread.

//greg// ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-04-23          190160

I think he is only interested in contacting Poolman64 on an unrelated matter...

Interesting reread of the is thread though on the varmints!!! ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
Chief

2014-04-23          190162

To make a long overdue follow up. A trapper was brought in and given access to a moderate sized area on one of our forestry units. He was there for about 3 weeks and trapped 63 coyotes. I am trying to get him to come back and work all of our forest and farm properties. 63 is a very large number but the coyotes are STILL massively over populated throughout the area. The problem is that they are SMART, CUNNING, have LOTS of cover, and are WELL educated as to what humans will do to them. ....

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-04-25          190176

When this was written was not aware we had any coyotes in our area and but since have seen only one in day light and it was sure different the way he looked at me compared to a dog. For about three winters had a neighbor who trapped our few acres and he did catch a few along with some fox and bobcats. If not mistaken he sold the furs from all of those and did fine with the hobby.

Was talking with a new neighbor yesterday afternoon on this topic and as well as deer and wild hogs. We have all but not to the point of being over run with anyone. What brought it up was his asking me why no rabbits.

My question is any idea how wild hogs and coyotes interact with each other? I would think the coyotes will kill the pigs and the hogs will kill the coyotes as either is able to catch the other. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login