Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor Forestry Related Accident

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-05          154261

Accidents do happen.

Saturday in woods hung a very large Maple in another tree top. Tried to knock it out with other tree would not budge. So went back to work in another area to load out logs and tops. Finally got to clearing a clean path to winch down the hanger. Had a log being winched get caught in a large limb on the ground so keeping a eye on the hanger and a good escape route, went in to cut the offending limb. Just as cut limb a large gust of wind blew the hanger loose and down it came I ran for safety. Got most of upper body out of line of fire as a limb smashed into lower right leg breaking the tibia and fibula clean, half way between ankle and knee. Be laid up for 4-8 weeks. Leg pinned to ground foot on backwards nephew cut that limb off. Rolled over and oldest boy EMT type got a pulse back in foot stabalized till paramedics and rescuse arrived.

2 seconds seems aweful quick for the amount of pain I am in now. But at least I got the upper body out of the line of fire.

Was there another way? hindsight is always 20/20.

I am still glad it was only the tib and fib broke.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-05          154262

Try not to dwell on the "what ifs" it will make you crazy. Just concentrate on rest and healing.

There is a saying in aviation: Any landing you can walk away from is a good one. You got through this one with a broken part, but that is fixable.

I thank God you came through this trap alive and pray that you have a speedy and pain-free recovery.

Mark ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-06-05          154265

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRankin | view 154262
There is a saying in aviation: Any landing you can walk away from is a good one. I thank God you came through this trap alive and pray that you have a speedy and pain-free recovery.

Ditto!!

I'm really glad to hear that when your 'number came up' it was only for a booby prize and not the grand prize!!!

Poop happens....

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-05          154266

No way I can add to what has been said. Yes thank God you were as blessed as you were.

If you have watched the tv show on logging in Oregon, you will see those professionals running right often. It is dangerous. kt ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-06-05          154267

It's the most dangerous civilian job in the country -- being a "feller," as they're called in Canada. Perhaps some karma too -- after what we've done to the trees. Anyway, much better lower limbs than higher up, and better one than two. Get better fast! ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2008-06-05          154273

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you will be OK! Like was said, just go forward since that is the hand your were dealt, and give yourself time to heal. Count your blessings that it wasn't any worse than it was. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-06-05          154274

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey | view 154261
A.....oldest boy EMT type got a pulse back in foot stabalized till paramedics and rescuse arrived.

Harvey,

Glad you are well enough to chat with us.

I used to do a lot of chain saw work alone in the woods. For the last couple of years I have wanted someone else to be around in case anything happens, at least you have a chance then.

Thank God your son was nearby!

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Dennis ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-06-05          154275

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey | view 154261
Be laid up for 4-8 weeks.

Harvey, just had a thought.

How long has it been since you had any time off during construction season?

If nothing else you'll have a (somewhat) relaxing summer... ;)

There's a bright side to everything if you look hard enough. LOL ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-05          154277

Would it help if we sent you a little bell to ring for ice cream during the recovery period? :) kt ....

View my Photos
harvey

2008-06-05          154280

Murf Spend 2-3 hours a day on phone while broken. Might as well go to work leg bothers enough so I sit in office or PU and take care of business with leg propped up. This is the worst time to get injured. Oldest boy , one in woods, dealing with cancer and on his 4th chemo fortunately boy was well enough to be there and save foot and he was not the one hit.

Thanks guys for the get wells. Ive been doing wood while at home since I was a tyke. First serious injury and with this tree and wind I feel very fortunate only leg.

KT naw I have one of those dog training collars on wife. So if she not there quick enough when I grunt or snap fingers we work on training a little. JUST KIDDING SHE THE BEST WOMAN cant find enough to do to help me.

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-06-06          154293

Glad to hear you are doing OK. I had a nasty fall on the ice in Jan. of 07 that still has me using a walker so I know well the "Confined" feeling of sitting in a recliner for a nearly a year and a half. I did get caught up on reading and some old movie CD's I'd been wanting to watch. Thank God for the great folks at the Mayo Clinic who just wouldn't give up till they figured out why I couldn't get back on my feet things are looking much brighter now. I'm still using the walker to get from point A to B, to C, etc. but am outside doing what I like to do again. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-06          154302

I think you let it slipped on the broken leg, dog training collar was a give away.

As a Dad, your biggest concern no doubt is your son. We will also remember him and his battle. kt ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-06-06          154322

Sorry, but in my haste of my first post I forgot to wish your son the best in his recovery. We too have a son fighting cancer,(second tome in three years), so I well know the concern you have for him. You are both in our prayers. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2008-06-06          154336

Wow Harvey! I just saw this today. Sorry to hear about your mishap but glad and thanking the Lord you are still with us. Best wishes and prayers for a full recovery!

Please be more careful and get some help next time. I am in the same boat as you in that respect, sometimes the girls just are not around to help me out and I go into some seriously remote places so I go out on my own but I keep the cell phone, the .45, and my Celox first aid kit REAL close. Life is so precious and can be gone in the blink of an eye. I'm sure you know that especially now.

Take care and get well soon! ....

Link:   Celox™ Trauma Wound Treatment Kit

View my Photos
harvey

2008-08-24          156268

Have all the XRAYS of break posted a ER photo at #11. Have a titanium rod down thru leg for repair.

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments Tractor Forestry Related Accident

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-08-24          156269

Man, that is painful to see. Glad to know they can get you fixed up these days and you are on the mend. Too bad it will never be quite the same though. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2008-08-24          156276

I agree, that is painful to look at. Harvey, you are LUCKY to still have a leg. Glad you are about healed up. Be careful my friend........at our age, you don't heal up like ya used to. ....

View my Photos
randywatson

2008-09-03          156481

Harvey,
sorry to hear about the accident, hopefully at this late date u are on the mend.

be well, RJ ....

View my Photos
harvey

2008-09-04          156494

Thanks guys. Today is about 95 days just got off crutches yesterday ("OFFICIALY") been practicing without for a week or so. I can go up and down stairs like a normal person again. Have a little problem going down with ankle and knee flex. Going up better BUT know I have lost some muscle. Leg still gets tired but much better than a month ago.

The leg is healing good. I was very lucky that was all that got broke.

STAY SAFE ALWAYS HAVE SOMEONE WITH YOU IN THE WOODS. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-03-08          189490

Bump to top just as reminder to be extra careful out there. Even when you know what you are doing stuff can happen. Keep your cell phone handy if alone when working at a minimum if no helper available. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login