Go Bottom Go Bottom

Synthetic Oil Shell Rotella

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-11          42295

I have not been running synthetic oil in my diesels as there was very limited availability in my area. Recently Walmat has begun to stock it as has one of the auto store chains (Autozone).
I have been running Shell oil and recently switched my truck over to the synthetic. I am pleasantly suprised I had run synthetic in the 97 Ford truck I had and in my volvo (Quaker and Castrol repectively). I like the way the oil performed in terms of break down but did not see any milage advantage.
The 5.9 L Cummings has a 10% increase in mileage. The truck has a computer therefore the number are evident immediately although it is over 100 miles so far. If this says then over the life of the oil 7500 miles then the saving would be approximately 75 dollars less the extra for the oil 15 dollars. Better protection and 60 dollars in my pocket how can I beat that?
Maybe I will switch everything now.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-12          42300

I've been thinking about synthetics as well. I've been running NH 0W-30 year round as does my dealer service manager. It does get cold here during the winter and not too many heat waves during the summer. I'm not sure of the cold viscosity of the 0W-30 oil during the summer. It may actually be similar to 10W-30 but I sure wouldn't want to run a hot engine winter or summer with the oil. It sure doesn't slow down the starter during the winter though.

It's a little far for me to go to the dealer just for oil and I think synthetics are available much closer to me. I might have made the switch this year but as I turns out I have to go a meeting next week and I'll be fairly near to the dealer. I'll probably pick up some oil and this and that and then stick with what I'm doing for another year or so. I’m not sure if there is a seal material compatibility issue with synthetic engine oil similar to the Type-F automatic TX fluid issue in cars.

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-12          42308

Peters, you can't beat that. It's the only real free lunch I know of. I have probably said this before, but I have pulled the heads on two cars to replace head gaskets, one after 77,000 and the other at 97,000 miles. Both had run on synthetics through multiple Alaskan winters and some very damn cold starts. Both still had the cross hatching on the cylinder walls. So you save money in the long run and maybe run your engine 300K with little or no mechanical trouble. Win/win. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-09-12          42309

Tom, the seal compatibility stories date way back maybe 40 years ago when someone took the early syn's that were developed for high altitude jet engine operation and poured it in a car engine.
Peters certainly is the one to ask about this, but as the companies began to develop the syn/oils for reciprocating engines they added the same types of seal conditioners and other additive packages that they put into mineral oil applications.
In essence, the seal deal is a non-issue. It was dealt with long ago.

View my Photos
Peters

2002-09-12          42321

Tom;
There is less in the synthetic oil to cause seal degradation as the oil is all aliphatic hydrocarbons.
Eric ....

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-09-12          42325

Been running a synthetic blend (Not The Torque Gaurd sold here at the dealer...shhhhhh) for several years in my farm equipment and pick-up. I use a Schaeffer product myself.

Since I started that program, 10 yrs ago, drain intervals have been extended by about 30% for the fleet. I have had no problems. I also use wear metal analysis.

I am a believer, just the saveings on filters alone is worth it. I think you'll get along fine. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-09-12          42329

Seems like I have tried a lot of things over the years, Quaker synthetic and semi, Castrol Syntech, Royal Purple and Mobil 1. This is the first that I could see measurable difference in performance in term of gas milage. I saw slight improvements before but not the 10%.
There are a number of factors that must account for the improvement and I am sure it must be engine specific, but the truck is still low miles and nothing was changed except the oil.
The Shell Rotella T is 12.40 a gallon at Wally World here, about double the regular Rotella. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-09-12          42333

If that price is right, That is $3.10 per quart. That would be about a buck a quart cheaper than any other full synthetic on the market.
BTW, Eric, I am giong tomorrow to have a close look at a Kioti 1914. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-13          42338

I recall that parts guy at my dealer did say the NH 0W-30 was a semi-synthetic, so maybe I've already made the switch--well sort of. I don't have a clue what the performance trade-offs between full and semi synthetics might be. I do imagine that synthetics from a box store would be cheaper than NH oil but I don't go through enough of it to be very price sensitive.

It'll be interesting to hear about the Kioti.

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-09-13          42345

Way back when Hector was a puppy, the standard wisdom was to run 25,000 miles between oil changes. Mobil even printed that on the can. The semi's can along to provide the benefits of syn's but with normal drain intervals and reduced cost. A full synthetic was terribly expensive in relative terms 30 years ago. It was 3 bucks a quart when 4 bucks an hour was a livable wage. But I am sure I am not breaking any news to you boomers out there. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2002-09-15          42426

I had wondered about that semi-synthetic N/H oil myself. The dealer told me the same thing about the hydraulic oil I changed to and the only thing I could differentiate between the OEM and the new product was the fact that it is multi-vis. It did prevent the cold weather symptoms however. I plan on switching the Kubota over to full synthetic at 100 hours, which will probably be this fall. I believe the break-in should be complete by then. ....

View my Photos
IRTEXN

2002-09-18          42606

Peters,
Have your tried or looked at Valvoline Blue. It has Cummins recommendation for thier engines. I am very pleased with it in my Dodge so far with 40.000 miles. Just a thought ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-09-18          42610

I have not tried Valvolines Synthetic. I have owned Volvos over the years and have had bad performance with Valvoline oil. I find that for some reason the oil burns more readily than other oils in their 4 cylinder. I had a few bottles in the barn and decided to use them up on the last change in my wife Volvo. Same problem as normal, I lost a quart before the last change. I went back to Castrol synthetic. ....

View my Photos
Jim H

2002-10-09          43614

I looked around today for oil that matched the required SG rating specified by JD manual. The only one I could find is Mobil. I have been a Castrol (go John Force)fan for years. Traded vehicles at 160000 or better with no smoke or oil consumption.
Does anyone in cyber-space know if Castrol makes a Syn or Reg oil for JD 4110. What about Transmission. Walmart had there brand in a Pennsylvania store that had the JD approved stamp.
I found a cross ref on Fram oil filter. I used fram for 40 years without incident. I was suprised to here others not having good luck? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-10-09          43627

Jim, Shell Rotella synthetic is rated SL, that exceeds SG by several letters. Wally World had it on sale last week in my area. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-10-09          43629

Jim;
What Mark is refering to is the codes increase with each progressive up grade. SAE standard SG is less tight than the SL code. You do not want to use the older oil codes but the new codes are better and cover the older standards. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-10-09          43631

Thanks Eric. That's what I meant to say. ....

View my Photos
DH83

2002-10-09          43632

Peters,what did you think of the Royal Purple oil? I tested
250 gallons of it in 10 of our Kenworth trucks.Look for
diesel oil to get even better,as of Oct 1 all class 8
truck engines will need to meet stiffer emissions(except
cat,they are just paying the fines for now)that means the
engines produced after 10/01/02 will have EGR valves on them,by puting exhaust back into the engine to be reburned
soots up the the oil that much quicker,so that requires
another oil to be formulated.... ....

View my Photos
JIMH

2002-10-10          43636

THANKS FOLKS FOR THE RESPONSE. WHEN THE MFG. STATED SG OR HIGHER, I THINK NUMERICAL RATING. WAS NOT SURE ON LETTER RATING. I HATED TO ASSUME AND RUIN MY NEW TOY (I MEAN TRACTOR)... ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-10-10          43672

DH83
I used Royal Purple more than 25 years ago. I worked for a floatplane operation and found out about it from the owner operators. I used it for a while but the dealer stopped importing it.
I talked with the R&D department a few years back and they said they were concentrating on high stress uses like turboprop transmission and high dollar ship transmission etc. I have not seen engine oil for a long time.
They have certainly been at it longer than most and their R&D people were very helpful to me. I would certainly try some, if I could find it.
Peters

View my Photos
Captain B

2002-10-11          43706

I suspect that this may be a frequent debate issue in other threads but I seem to have missed it. Is there a rule of thumb (i.e., free from undue contoversy) on when to change conventional and synthetic oil in on-road gasoline engine cars and diesel tractors? I have always figured 3K miles for my car and 100 hours or one year for my tractor, both using conventional oil and under "normal" conditions. The manual for my recently-acquired JD990 indicates 200 hours. What's the story here? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-10-11          43708

Here is a clue. When Deere announced their in-house SEMI-SYNTHETIC diesel engine oil a few months ago, they also announced that their new oil was suitable for use in any application and they suggested extending the change interval by 50 percent. So a semi-synthetic gets you a 300 hour change interval, I think it is safe to say the same for full synthetics, like Rotella.
BTW, is there a higher rated oil on the market than the SL rated Rotella? ....

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-10-11          43709

Another thing one must consider when talking about service intervals, is time measurement.

In an old cable driven tachometer, engine hours were not racked up as fast when the engine did not operate at full rated RPMs.

In an electric model, the hourmeter is counting at full speed, when the engine is running.

Most new equipment has electric hour meters.

I first noticed this when my father and I were cultivating soybeans. He had a new 4455 John Deere w/ electric hourmeter, and I was running my old trusty 4020, with the old cable driven unit. We ran side by side. And started and stopped at the same times each day.

By chance, both tractors were almost due for an oil change before we started, and we decided to go ahead and do the P.M. Saterday afternoon, and we could hit the fields early Monday morning.

After after six long days, my dad made a comment, when we had stopped for a break late Saterday afternoon. "66 hrs. in six days, not a bad week for an old man. Fir some reason, I looked at my tach when I jumped back on the seat and noted mine read only 44 Hrs. for the week. Mon. Morning, I was on the phone with the dealer complaining the new tractor's hourmeter was off. He then explained the descrepancy.

This is one factor that is often overlooked. How our time is measured. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-10-12          43730

That's a pretty good point. It's a measurement issue. Hours on most tachs aren't actually hours nor would you want them to be for many purposes.

In the case of mechanical tachs, I believe the hour-meter is just a gear drive in the tach. One turn of the cable advances the meter a small bit. Higher rpm's advance it faster than low ones. The measure 'hours' actually is mislabeled and would better be called 'revolutions' since that's what actually is measured.

The best interpretations of hours (that aren't actually hours) depend on the reason for wanting to know. The total number of engine revolutions is important for knowing when to expect an engine needs a rebuild. However, ‘revolutions’ is only one factor for knowing when to change oil. A case can be made that the hour meter should advance faster at low rpm's for tractors used mostly for lugging around at idle rpm's. Low rpm's equals lower operating temperatures which puts more soot, acids etc. into the oil, which need to be changed more frequently.

Fortunately, changing oil doesn't need a whole lot of precision and few people would look at an hour meter and say: 'Well it's time so guess I'll rebuild the engine now.' What ever comes out of meter probably is good enough for most purposes what ever it's called.

I'm guessing that an electronic tach could work much like a mechanical one and use gates generated from ignition points, injector line pulses etc. to vary the voltage/amps in a circuit. In such a meter, rpm's would be read from an ammeter and hours could be read from a meter driven by a small motor. Higher voltages would drive the motor faster. It also would be easy to run a motor from a base-line voltage which could be increased by rpm generated voltage to run the hour meter faster. Such a measure would be some undefined blend of revolutions and time. Who knows, such a measure might be better for changing oil and not as good for setting the valves? In either case the readings wouldn't actually be hours though.

View my Photos
Billy

2003-01-16          47640

I just came from Wally World. The Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic went up to $18.88 a gallon. That's quite a hefty price increase.

Billy ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-01-16          47641

If you buy the John Deere OW-40 Plus 50 synthetic by the 55 gallon drum, it comes to about $3.94 per quart. I got the 15W-40 Plus 50 in the 55 gallon drum for about $1.29 per quart. I am still breaking a Cummins and a Deere in. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-17          47664

Do any of you guys have a Costco or a Sam's Club nearby? The Costco here sells Mobil 1 for $23 for a case of six and they stock a couple different grades. That works out to a couple of pennies cheaper than the stuff Chief is getting and you don't have to figure out how to move a four hundred pound drum. I haven't been to a Sam's Club in a long time but they may carry a synthetic at similar pricing. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-01-17          47674

Mark,

Half of the fun is trying to move the 400 lb. drum around! ;) How else are we going to get our physical fitness training?

Randy

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-17          47679

Moving/attaching the 400 pound box scraper? Hauling/stacking firewood?
Picking tons of rocks? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-01-17          47686

I let the wife do that stuff. ;-)

The drum wasn't bad to move around. I strapped it to a hand truck. I have a trailer that is low to the ground so I just rolled it off on wood planks. It is a hand full to handle, but the price per quart sure does drop when you buy 55 gallons. Better if two people split it. They make a 30 gallon drum but the price of shipping is not worth it. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-01-17          47696

The Shell Synthetic is still $12.80/gallon or 3.20/quart here at Walmart. I have not seen it at Sams and everywhere else is about 18$/gallon.
I can not see buying it by the 55 US /45 imp gallon unless you are using a lot. I remember wrestling the aviation oil drums down the dock for the DH Beavers. Nearly got run over one day went the tide was out and the ramp was steep. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-01-18          47699

I checked at two Wal-Marts in two different towns. $18.88 per gallon or $4.96 per quart. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-01-18          47700

Peters,

You better get yourself to your local Wal-Mart and buy some before the price increase hits there too.

Billy ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-01-18          47701

I did'nt know Deere had a synthetic oil. I've been a user of their 15-40 plus 50 for years with good results. Is waste oil disposal a different issue with synthetics than regular oil? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-18          47708

I think 55 gallons of oil would last about 15 years in my garage. That is 44 oil changes at 5 quarts each. I am sure even after ten years that oil will be outdated, if not by time, certainly by technology.
In terms of recycling or disposal of synthetics, I have never heard of any issues and I have been using syn's for 25 years or more. ....

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-01-18          47709

For diesels, most manufacturers suggest a C series rated not S series. Delo 400, Rotela, Mystic jl-6, and of course most all of your lesser known "fleet brands" have a C- rating. You will get dissapointing results and void warranties with other rated oils. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-01-18          47710

Billy;
That was the price here until they dropped it. I have checked at the Walmarts in MS and AL as I live on the boarder and the price is the same.
It has been that price for a while, I checked the other day as Mark had mentioned that it was SL rated too and I wanted to check the price again before I change the car.
This is the first time I have been able to buy synthetic for less than 4$ a quart.

Mark H. did you not find it at the same price. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-01-18          47712

Hardwood;
I had never seen the synthetic at the Deere dealer, I assume this is a new development in marketing.
Peters ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-18          47715

Yes I got it for the $13(+/-) price and just put it in the BX. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-01-18          47726

Billy;
Sounds more like the roll back happy face got stuck in Oklahoma.
Maybe it cost more to ship oil to Oklahoma than NV, AL and MS.
Peters ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-01-18          47728

Heck if I know Peters. All I know is it was $12.80 and the next time I looked it was $18.88. I'm going to TX today, I'll check there. I think it's discrimination against us poor ole Okies :)

Billy ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-01-18          47737

A little different twist on the synthetic subject. We have a four cylinder air compressor in the shop that calls for a special grade of compressor oil that seems rather pricey (I don't remember the exact cost), but we use it anyway. Is it possibly a synthetic, and how is comprersser oil different from motor oil? We get it in five gallon buckets, and it allways seemed like a lot of money for 5 gal. of oil. But the compresser does work great. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-01-18          47752

hardwood,

On my two cylinder air compressor, it calls for SAE-20 (API CG/CD heavy duty motor oil. Under extreme winter conditions, use SAE 10 weight oil.

By the way. the synthetic Rotella is $18.88 in TX and AR also :(

Billy ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-01-18          47757

Hardwood;
I bought a little compressor oil the other day for an industrial sewing machine (2$/pint) I was fixing. It is just a light weight oil without detergent. The detergent will attract water and a compressor does not get warm enough to evaporate the water from the crank case.
Billy I will check again here tomorrow. Do you need a case? I am not sure what the shipping cost would be? ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-01-18          47761

Agway sells a non-detergent oil of various straight weights. I don't believe it is labeled as engine oil, can't remember what is on the jug. It is sold in minimum 2.5 gallon containers and it is inexpensive. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-01-19          47766

I've got a herd or old Farmalls around, some showroom, some we use, some rust heaps, but anyhow I learned the hard way if you're not going to tear the engine down don't go from the old straight weight nondetergent oil to a modern multigrade high detergent. It works fine for a while till the detergent starts breaking loose all the last 50 years of sludge, then it starts mixing with the oil, and plugs everything up. The last couple engines I used a commercial cleaner that you run a quart of with the oil for just a couple hours then drain, do that routine a couple times, I took the pan off to see how it worked and it was really clean. We're going to Wally world today, I'll check the Shell prices here in eastern Iowa. About 20 years ago there was a synthetic oil that some of the neighbors were using in their farm equipment, but I havent heard much about it lately, I ll ask some of them just to see how it worked out. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-01-19          47769

I run detergent oil in my D12 but the engine was taken partially down in the 60's with new valves and a good cleanup. I put detergent oil in a very old riding mower once due to lack of the other and killed all the mosquitoes in the woods around the creek at my previous residence :> Seems to me the Agway non-detergent brand is called utility oil or something like that. ....

View my Photos
JerryGoucher

2003-01-19          47772

I have been using Mobil 1 in my tractor for I guess a couple of years now. But, with all of the talk about synthetic Rotella, I have been checking it out at the Shell site and have been thinking about using it instead of Mobil 1. I checked synthetic Rotella out at Wal-Mart yesterday. It was still selling for $12 something. It is just like everything,(or a lot of thinks at WM, It is priced as competitive to the locals). It it stays at that price here, I may still switch. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-19          47773

Billy and others: Maybe a call to the department manager at your local Wally world is in order. Ask why half of us are paying $12 and the rest are paying $18.
I know from my relatives in retail that prices in big chain stores are set in the corporate headquarters.
Might be worth the phone call. ....

View my Photos
JerryGoucher

2003-01-19          47781

Wal-Mart like your tractor dealer, has suggested pricing. the individual store may lower the prices to match the local competition. If there is no local competition then the price is the price set by Bentonville. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-01-19          47784

Peters,

Thanks for the offer, I do appreciate it. By the time I paid shipping, it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Although I do suggest if you or anyone else that uses it, can still get if at the old price, should stock up. I just called my local Wal-Mart and talked to the store manager. She said it went from $12.83 to $18.88 on Jan 2nd. All their price changes come from the main office.

Thanks again Peters.

Billy

View my Photos
Peters

2003-01-19          47785

Hardwood;
The cheap trick is to run a quart of transmisson fluid with reqular cheap oil and then drain. The tranny fuid is high in detergent.
Peters ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-01-19          47792

Peters, thanks for the tip on using tranny fluid. The commercial stuff I used (can't remember the name) I got from a Chevron distributor, they warned me that the product it's self had no lubrication qualitys, so it must be pure detergent of some kind. I checked the Rotella price today at our local Wallyworld, 4.98/ qt. This is a small county seat Wallyworld, just big enough to ruin most of the downtown stores, but not big enough that they had larger containers. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-01-19          47800

The best stuff there is bar none....even the synthetics is "Hommer's Duck Butter". Rotella T synthetic doesn't even come close! This stuff works REALLY great and I was kinda hesitant to let the cat out of the bag. But what the heck! Why not share the secret with my tractor buddies! ;-)

View my Photos
DH83

2003-01-19          47804

Hardwood,what is the secret to releasing a stuck clutch
on a B farmall (parade tractor)its my boss's tractor,
he has sprayed about everything on the clutch for a year
while that clutch pedal has been tied down.He does not want
to take it a part to avoid chipping the nice paint....
I live in the Cedar Rapids area.Where did you buy your
4310? I love mine....thanks Dan ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-01-19          47809

Dan, I don't think there are any secrets to fixing old Farmalls, it's just whatever finally works. It depends on what is stuck to what in the clutch assembly. I fought a simalar problem in an "H" a few years ago and finally got it whiped. I bought my 4310 at Rowley Equip. Rowley, Ia. If you'd like to e-mail me back we can discuss the clutch problem further, I do have a few ideas that may help, but maybe to lengthy to get into here. thanks. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-19          47812

I think my duck is not the only thing being buttered here. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-22          47956

I checked Walmart today. The price is $18.88, so I guess I will go back to Mobil 1.
Peters have you looked at Wally's house brand synthetic? It is only rated for gas engines, and the price is good. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-01-27          48262

Mark and Bill;
Well you are right the gallon price has gone up to $18.88, but they had the gallon cases (6) marked at $37.88. Needless to say I picked up one. I thought they might have gotten suspicious if I loaded up the whole cart, but I did check with the sales person in the area. Oh, yes the Rottella T is marked at $37.88.
Now don't you wish that you had of taken me up on the offer Bill. That discount might have paid for the shipping.
Peters ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-01-27          48290

Yes Peters, at that price, I'd say it would have been worth paying shipping. Oh well, at least someone got a good deal. ....

View my Photos
BruceZ

2003-01-28          48350

I see several people reference Mobil 1 synthetic oil that you use. I used to know a chemist at Mobil who recommnended I use another synthetic product of theirs for any high output gas or diesel engines, it is called Delvac 1300. This was originally made for diesel engines and sold to truckers. According to the Mobil web site
"Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 meets the following industry requirements:
API Service CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF, SL, SJ
ACEA E5-02
JASO DH-1
Global DHD-1

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 is approved against the following equipment builders' specifications:
Cummins CES 20078, CES 20076, CES 20071
Detroit Diesel Closed Crankcase Application (TSB 01 TS-07)
Mack EO-N Premium Plus, Mack EO-N, EO-M Plus
Mercedes Benz Sheet 228.3
Volvo VDS-3

In addition, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 meets the requirements of Caterpillar and Detroit Diesel 7SE 270 (4-stroke cycle), and is also suitable for use in applications requiring an Allison C-4, Mack EO-M or Volvo VDS-2 or VDS fluid."

I have used this oil for years in everything from cars to motorcycles with always improved mileage. It is a higher detergent oil than gasoline engine oils and is available in 10W30 and 15W40. I buy it at diesel truck stops in 5 gallon pails. Can't remember what I paid last but it was cheaper than Mobil 1.

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-29          48366

This showed up on my e-mail as it was posted to the thread, but somehow didn't make it to the web site.

I thought it was interesting and germaine to the discussion so I copied it and re-posted it. Don't know who wrote it.

After reading it, I had two thoughts:

1) I don't run my tractor at full power all the time.

2) I wonder if we can rely on the fact that synthetic oils always seem to exceed the latest specs to provide to extreme lubrication this post alludes to?

Peters, if we can get past the carbon fairy issue, I am especially interested in your take on this:

Subject: Synthetic Oil (Shell Rotella)
Shell Rotella is not the right oil to use in Agriculture Tractors or Construction Equipment. This oil is for Trucks! Trucks only use about 60% of the availer horsepower and Tractors and Construction Equip use around 90% of the availer horsepower. OEM oils are the best for your equipment. Shell Rotella doesn't care about the Agriculture or Construction market. Just think how hard you run your equipment and decide from there what oil is better. Shell just brain washes people that its a great oil for all diesel engines. They are wrong. They do make a good oil for trucks but how hard does a truck work? Tractors and Construction Equipment work a lot harder. The additive pack in OEM oils are much better built!
If you remember one thing......... Trucks use 60% of the available horsepower and Tractors and Construction use 90%. Why would Shell want to build a heavier oil..... It cost more..... Ask a Shell rep about their heavy duty oil. They make one and it sells for $$$$$$$$.......
OEM oil is the best for all your machines. They built the machine so they know what will work....... Did Shell ever build a tractor? NO!

View my Photos
Billy

2003-01-29          48369

LOL..sounds like a dealer yappin to me. I don't know about other brands of tractors but JD says the use of other oils is fine. As long as it meets or exceeds API Service Classification SG or higher.

The defense rest, your Honor

Billy ....

View my Photos
BruceZ

2003-01-29          48374

Oops, I goofed in my last post. I looked at the can of oil I buy and it is called Delvac 1, not Delvac 1300. Delvac 1 is a synthetic, Delvac 1300 is a blend. So I'm afraid I quoted the wrong stuff off the web site as well. I'm having trouble finding the spec sheet on the Delvac 1. If anyone is interested you'll have to surf around on the www.mobil.com web site and find it. I just know that Delvac is available in heavier grades than Mobil 1 and thus works for heavier load/temperature use and is specifically for diesel. ....

View my Photos
BruceZ

2003-01-29          48375

Here is the right specs on Delvac 1 from Mobil. Had to surf all over to find this and finally got it under the Mobil headings of "Automotive Products/High Performance Synthetic, Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil"

Mobil Delvac 1 meets the requirements of:

API Service CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF, SL, SJ
ACEA E5, E4, E3
Mack EO-N Premium Plus, Mack EO-M Plus, Mack EO-M
Cummins CES 20078, 20077, 20076, 20075, 20072, 20071
Detroit Diesel 7SE270 (4-stroke cycle)
Mercedes Benz Sheet 228.5 (in progress)
Volvo VDS-3
Caterpillar deposit performance
JASO DH-1
Global DHD-1

View my Photos
Peters

2003-01-29          48388

In regards to Marks post;
Does not sound like he knows what he is talking about.
1) No OEM makes his own oil, he purchases it from another blender or manufacture. In general they rely on someone like Shell to provide them with the oil. An OEM is relying on the oil refiner to improve the additive package and blend not the other way around. The engine is designed to run with the oil that is available, they are not testing oils.
2) The OEM buy oil to make money therefore they are likely to purchase oil at the lowest cost not necessarily the best. The auto manufactures have been caught more than once when the truck load for the new engines was not to spec.
3) What does heavier is oil mean? You buy oil to a specification 10W-30 etc. The lighter the oil the more refined and the more expensive in general. The other important criteria are the flash point etc.
4) Shell makes the same oil for all diesels and provides it in bulk lots for large applications such as ship diesels. If the trouble in one of those engines is tracked to the oil then Shell is libel. It is not cheap or pretty.
We bought truck loads of lub. base stock off Shell, I don't remember one being turned back due to off spec. We had a number of other manufactures try and take the business and they had trouble meeting the spec. numbers. ....

View my Photos
larry

2003-01-30          48398

The Ford assembly plant in Oakville Ont has all its oils in 200 gallon containers & they all say Shell or Exxon on the labels-5W20.Same with all their tranny fluid no sign of "Ford" anywhere. ....

View my Photos
suckowe

2003-02-03          48591

I started running Rotella in my Cub 7205 at the first oil change, 50hrs. Only has 70 hrs on it now but I can tell that the diesel engine seems to start up better in cold temps.

--------------------------------------------------------- Peters, there's probably not too many people on here that have heard of the DH Beaver, much less seen or flown in one. A friend of mine has had a beaver for a few years and recently purchased an Otter, what an aircraft! He runs a sport camp here in Maine. Must have been neat to see them back in their early days (aren't they over 50 yrs old?). It is unbelievable to seen it come down on floats.....Ed

View my Photos
Peters

2003-02-03          48613

Ed
There were some 1500-2000 Beavers built, I believe the construction run started in some thing like 1947. Nearly 1000 of the 1700 built were actually US army transport and scout planes which were used in Vietnam and Korean Wars. We had 2 in service that had served in Vietnam.
We had one otter also but had to dispose of it as the tip speeds on the props where too high and we had a lot of complains from people living around the inlet where the base was. The old otter was a bit of a water lover as it was a little under powered compare to the beaver or 180 on floats.
There has been a good series on Discovery Wings on the flying boats. They had one show about Kenmore Air in Seattle. Kenmore had started rebuilding a few years back and runs otters and beavers exclusively. They have converted their Otters to turbines. I am sure that they had the same problem on Lake Washington. I doubt that I would know any ot the pilots their after 25 years.
That series also had info on the Martin Mars which are on Sprout lake. If you ever get a chance they are impressive. The last time I was there I got a center line shot of the Mars on the ramp with their Grummland Goose in the fore ground. The Goose looks like a toy in front of the Mars.
Peters ....

View my Photos
JohnnyD

2003-09-05          63257

Delvac 1 from Mobil. Thats all I use ....

View my Photos
johnnyD

2003-09-05          63258

I use Delvac 1 from mobil. Much better then 1300 ....

View my Photos
ackley280

2004-03-13          79744

Just baught 2 gallons of Synthetic Rotella 5w-40 at W-World fot 12 something a gallon. Western Missouri. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2004-03-13          79767

I gave the same as Ackley at thr same place.NOT REALLY THAT BAD ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-03-27          81303

Rotella T synthetic here in Wisconsin Wally world for 12.97 a gallon. Just bought 2 myself also. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-03-28          81389

Oh! By the way, All of you talkin about this Rotella made me go out and buy some along with having my son change the oil on both my truck and my wifes van. Luck would have it that when he finished the van (First time he ever done an oil change)he said, "WoW that is easy, you mean we just saved 20 bucks by doing that our selves?" "Yep" I told him that is why we do our own. After starting up the van, her serpentene belt came off. So he learned how to do that too! Now we go to do my tryck and what do I do, I look at my belt, LOL. It needs to be changes too, you know where I am heading right now. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Well, I guess its better this happened here and on a weekend than any other place on a week day. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-03-30          81655

I just saw on the Discovery Channel Wings that the crankshafts used in 9 cylinder radial engine used in the 50 year old DeHaviland Beavers are getting HARD to find so some company in Vancover BC specializes in turbo prop Beaver conversions that boost the airspeed and overall economy. Wally world in Eastern Michigan still has Shell Rotella Syn at 12.83. Looks like I will have to stock up. I guess I don't care if Shell rotella Syn 5-40 is not for diesel tractors since I change mine every year on less than 60 hours of very light use. ....

View my Photos
mscott6799

2004-04-01          81808

Who says Rotella Synthetic 5-40 is not for diesel tractors? ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-04-02          81839

MSSCOTT,

Read the Thread....somebody said Rotella is for diesel trucks that output 70% of horsepower unlike the CUT at 90% ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login