Go Bottom Go Bottom

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-31          139385

Ok you guys are absolutely killing me with all this talk of mouth watering food. I went on my own version of the South Beach Diet on November 1. So far I have lost about 25 pounds and 4 inches on the waist size.

Now all this talk of sausage is killing me.

Last night my wife who has been trying to kill me for years with a high fat high carbo diet of junk food LOL goes to the local Butcher Shop called Rambo's and buys some of their homemade pork sausage. This is the gold standard of sausage, she cooks it on the grill ummmmm am I ever tempted.

She puts that big plate of incredibly tasty sausage right in front of me, but I hold my guns and have a whole grain sandwich instead.

Its tough trying to lose weight ;)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-31          139387

What was the insides of the whole grain sam-ich?

PS I would not have thought any type of diet with "Beach" in it would be considered something you could legealy cook... ....

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-01-31          139388

I buy the whole grain bread from "Paneras", inside the sandwich I had Cooked Ham and Lettuce with French's Horseradish mustard. I had that for dinner because I had to take my son to wrestling practice so there was no time for my normal dinner.

Normal dinner is lean meat or poultry with whole grain brown rice and a hefty helping of steamed vegetables with no butter.

I try to minimze bread and carbs. For the first two months I had 2 scrambled eggs and two pieces of Canadain bacon for breakfast, my version of homemade soup for lunch (Chicken broth and steamed sweet onions and celery and shredded leftover boneless grilled chicken). I cut the eggs out after new years and switched to slow cooked oatmeal with walnuts for breakfast.

No Milk, no Cheese, no cake pie sugar of any form. No Alcohol.

Nightly treat is sliced fresh fruit topped with walnuts and Plain lowfat yogurt. I have unsalted dry roasted peanuts for snacks.

I have done zero excerise, not good I know.

I am kinda stable at this weight now so weight loss if any is real slow, which I guess is a good thing.

But three months with no beer or wine, used to miss it but don't now.

Dennis ....

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
Murf

2007-01-31          139389

Dennis, you're a heck of a nice guy, but.......

ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!! LMAO!!! :)

Long term, if you want to keep the weight off, AND keep it off, only one thing will do it.

Eat 1/3rd less of all the foods you would normally eat, but make sensible food choices, not whacky diets, and exercise more, a LOT more. I don't mean 'boot camp drills' in the park either, walk the dog, park atthe very back of the mall parking lot and WALK to the door, etc., etc., it all adds up.

The beauty of this plan is you don't have to "hold my guns" when your good wife comes home with a treat.

Best of luck. ....

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-01-31          139392

Actually Murf the reason I went with the DennisCTB version of the South Beach Diet, I don't like fad diets either. I just liked the principle of cutting out all the junk food I had been eating like Potato Chips, Pretzels, Wendy's and other fast food choices as well as other unhealthy foods, and switching to what I consider to be healthy choices.

I know what you are saying about fad diets. My brother was doing the low carb thing a year ago, don't think that is a good idea.

I am really not following the South Beach Diet in a literal sense. For example they tell you to cut out carbohyrdrates for two weeks. I think that is stupid so I did it my way, just "moderate" carbs, whereas in the past I would stuff myself with carbs, no moderation.

I liked this approach as I could easily follow the pattern without having to measure or count calories. I am absolutely amazed at how easy it is to esentially eat healthy once you have the principles down. I am embarassed to admit that it has been over 10 years since I have had a size 34 inch waist, so I am a believer right now LOL, probably a bit over zealous.

When I said zero exercise I meant no trips to "Golds Gym", I always maximize how far from the store I park and walk the most I can, take hikes with the kids and dogs, haul firewood in for the stove, etc., just no gym style fitness regimen.

I guess we all have to do what works for each of us.

I was really "just kidding" about the temptation ;) Hmmmmm Beer I might have to revisit that at some point!

Dennis ....

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-01-31          139393

Just to be clear my wife is one of those petite ladies that likes to eat everything that will really fatten you up quick. Somehow she either has a metabolic rate that burns it off or she moderates the intake so she is always nice and trim.

Basically if I eat what she does I am a blimp. She doesn't bring home the occasioally treat its 24 by 7. So if I want to change I am on my own in this ;)

Dennis ....

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
Murf

2007-01-31          139399

It was mostly tongue-in-cheek, I'm glad it was taken that way. :)

It's actually not such a bad diet, but after my little run-in with my health a few years back, one of the things that had to change was my "lifestyle" not just my diet.

One of the things they drummed into me was that losing weight was a good thing, but anything more than a pound a month was a bad thing. They also emphasised that nothing more than that would work long-term, not without staying on the "diet" at least. But that subtle changes, reducing amounts, and watching the choices would mean it would come off and stay off, PERIOD.

I was never huge, but had certainly gained a few pounds and lost some muscle, etc., since rejoining private life.

Although I still have a little to go, I am now back to the same clothes size and nearly the same weight I was at 18.

But I get to eat brats, and although I don't more than once or twice a year, can even wash them down with beer!!!

[Where's the tongue sticking out smiley??!!]

Best of luck. ....

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-01-31          139404

Know what's really going to be a real kick in the teeth, when the newest most widespread, test shows, us fat people live longer! And enjoyed it much more!

But, sure is a pain putting shoes on.

If you want an exercise plan that is fun, get a grandchild. If that does not do it was told to get more.

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
Iowafun

2007-01-31          139408

Yeah, moderation is a good thing. I had been doing that with my wife and kid up until we moved. I haven't had my pots and pans so cooking was a real pain. But we ate a lot of veggies before the move with maybe a cooked chicken breast done up in various ways.

One of my favorites is to slice it up and marinate it using a teriyaki sauce. Makes for a nice tasting meal that is pretty healthy too.

Those healthier turkey hotdogs ain't too bad either. The kid loves them so we do indulge her a bit but in a healthier way. ....

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
cutter

2007-01-31          139420

I did the low-carb diet for three years. Lost the weight and kept it off. My cholesterol was a little high so my doctor put me on lipitor (poison).

After the side effects started doing me in I stopped taking the pills, changed back to a "normal" diet but increased exercise and did not tell my doctor. The numbers came in about the same as when on the so called medication. Now if I could fully recover from the damage the lipitor did, things would be good.

I agree totally with the concept of a lifestyle change to keep weight off. There is no trick to it. You simply need to take in no more calories than you burn each day. One thing I miss about Atkins is that you always felt full. No hunger pangs and no shakes from rapid blood sugar fluctuations.

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-01-31          139423

I started on LA Weight loss in Sept of 05. No exercise but followed the plan. In Nov. of 06 I reached my goal weight of 220, down from 294. This is what I weighed as a senior in high school. I'm now at 218 and eating an entirely different way. Once or twice a month I can go off the wagon and eat pizza or pasta or whatever but the rest of the time it's definitely a lifestyle change that keeps me on the straight and narrow. ....

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
tetloader
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-02-01          139429

DennisCTB - Good going. Actually, I "skimmed" the book and started my own version of the SB Diet as well, about 18 months ago. Not because I needed to loose weight - I didn't. Also, my BP and Chloresterol were great too. I was having some kind of weird glucose problem where I'd get foggy, almost have the whirlies, grumpy, weak, etc. The book happened to be nearby and I thought the part about typical american diets, and how the body handles sugars was interesting. Anyway, since changing my diet, my symptoms have all but gone away, I am stronger and leaner, have more energy, and have lost about 15 lbs ( "accidentally"). I'm down to where I was over 30 years ago!

And, I have one beer every night, with a quarter of lime squeezed in. I heard that the lime helps to neutralize the carbs. Basically, I don drink wine, hardly eat any bread, no pasta, hardly any rice, no potatoes. Lots of vegetables and lean meat and fish, fruit. I eat nuts, cheese and peanut butter too. Actually, it's a pretty great way to eat. I bascially eat all I want, snack all the time, and never feel to full (like when I'd eat a plate of pasta).

The book is interesting for anyone toying with a diet, or experiencing my symptoms.

When I do eat bread, here's my favorite 10 am snack:

Peanut Butter and Pickle sandwich: Two slices of whole wheat bread (crust removed), one slice spread with Best Foods mayo, the other with organic chunky p-butter, and Clausen's sliced dill pickles in between. Sounds awful -- but it's great.

Yeah - ...health forum. Maybe there should be a sandwich forum.. ....

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-02-01          139433

Cutter,
You would do well to tell your doctor what you are doing. If you are controlling it with diet and exercise and not needing the medicine the need for that medication should be removed from your medical history. If you were to apply for such as health or life insurance they would pick up you are suppose to take this medication and either rate your risk as if you do or worse rate it as someone who needs treatment and ignores it.

Often what the doctor ordered is not the best option. ....

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-02-01          139436

Tetloader,

I first met someone at work who had lost weight on the diet, the inspiration, plus my brother had been on me for years -- "when are you going to do something about the extra weight". Then I surfed the web on it and skimmed the book at the bookstore and the view on the typical American diet hit me as spot on.

Yup no potatoes, white bread etc.. While I am into the veggie sandwich, and went through a phase where I was always spicing things up with hot sandwich peppers etc., I am not taking to your pickle mayo combo yet, maybe we'll see that on Trump's apprentice show ;-) ....

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
tetloader
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-02-02          139469

Dennis - you just have to try the sandwich. That's how it happened with me -- my wife stuck this sandwich in my face and said TRY IT. I was totally skeptical, but won over immediately. I think of it as an energy sandwich. I am not a vegetarian at all. I just watch what kinds/cuts of meat, fish and poultry I eat. Almost no red meat tho, except a good fillet and buffalo, no and then. Yeah, I think the key is getting rid of baked goods (mostly) and starchy stuff. I don't miss them much. Good luck. ....

South Beach Diet

View my Photos
cutter

2007-02-02          139477

KT,

Thanks for the concern. I had a doctor visit scheduled for six weeks after I quit the stuff last winter. He disagreed that the Lipitor was causing my problems but I had done enough research to confirm it. I believe that no doctor is going to admit that something with such widespread use is bad, think of the law suits. But about one in ten is subject to some nasty side effects according to the manufacturer's own research! Too bad for you if you are in that minority.

My numbers are now where they should be simply by watching what I eat and supplementing with fish oil.

My former manager was crippled up so badly with the statin he switched to natural remedies (red rice yeast?) and now has excellent numbers.

Bottom line is that I learned not to rely on pills to fix everything. I did more damage to myself by not researching in advance and by not doing everything I could to bring my numbers down naturally. You know, that comfortable feeling you get when sitting with your doctor and his intern and they tell you that "you really need to take this pill, it is good for you".

So for Dennis and the others here that have lost weight and are trying to improve their health through diet, way to go! In my view, carbohydrate reduction and elimination of sugars is the key. Without exception, every time I have lost weight in the past and returned to a high-carb diet I pile the fat back on.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login