Go Bottom Go Bottom

Super Steer pros and cons

View my Photos
Dinopig
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-04-20          110117

Looking for some opions on the super steer. Is it worth the cost? Is is reliable? What are the down falls? Thinking about the TC40DA? Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-20          110122

It does cut the turning radius of the tractor to make a tight turn, or tighter then much of the competition. It does take extra moving parts to do that so you do have the additional parts that might wear and need replacement. ....

View my Photos
Dinopig

2005-04-20          110133

I guess I am worried about the service life. When does it start to give you problems and what is the cost of maintance/repairs on the system? What is the reliability factor? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-20          110135

If you judge reliability by the absence of complaints here it seems to be very reliable. I can't recall anyone having problems with it. One possible downside is that the outside of the tractor moves slightly the opposite way during a turn. IOW, when turning right the left side of the tractor moves a bit left at the start of the turn as the axle pivots right. This might be a concern if you negotiate close quarters. The other concern is front axle load rating. Make sure that the loader capacity isn't downgraded when using SuperSteer. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2005-04-21          110171

If you are using a loader, turning the steering wheel will move the loader in the opposite direction some because the axle moves side to side. It takes some time to get used to, especially in tight quarters. Once you get used to it you can use it to your benefit. On a TC33D, the SS model has a longer wheel base which I think has helped me doing loader work. My primary use is mowing and am glad I have SS for turning tight. My tires don't dig up the yard even turning tight. My SS system seems to be a simple design and heavy duty. Drive both and buy the one you really want. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-04-21          110181

I have a TC33D w/out SS and I think the turning radius is just fine. I don't do a lot of close quarters mowing though. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-04-22          110224

We have quite a few super steers out with well over 1000 hours on and no problems. Just remember to keep every thing greased. As far as the load rating, there is no difference. ....

View my Photos
poorfarm444

2005-06-09          112112

When I purchased my tractor my dealer discouraged me from purchasing the super steer. The reason he did that is because I planned to do a lot of lawn mowing and he said the regular steering would tear the turf less with a larger turning circle. The regular steer really is quite manuverable and very good for most needs. I would only get supersteer if I need to work within a barn - cleaning manure etc. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2005-06-09          112114

My primary use for my tractor was going to be mowing. So I knew I wanted the belly mower and tighter turning would be a plus. I test drove a SS equipped tractor on a gravel parking area noting how much the front tires would push. I was amazed at how little it disturbed the ground. I bought a TC33D with SS and I do lawn mowing and love it. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-06-09          112134

Poorfarm, your dealer was way off. They will not tear up the turf and to try and do loader work with them in a barn is asking for trouble, because the bucket will go in the opposite direction that you steer. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-06-24          112698

In my humble opinion SS is the best thing since sliced bread. Well worth the cost. Mine has 360 hrs and there is a little slop at the outer tie rod ends at the knuckles--other than that no problems. I have it on a TC33D with no loader. I do a lot of close-quarter residential work (grading, brush hogging, power raking). SS will allow you to get up next to soemthing like a fence and if you get too close you can literally turn the wheel and walk away from it (depending on what's attached on the hitch). SS is also good for getting out of muddy situations as the axle travels in a arc so it has more undesturbed earth to grab on to. Driving in reverse is like driving a hi-lo forklift in forward---the manueverablilty is excellent. When brushhogging I can do a zero-turn radius to the right. (Don't try that with the left brake unless you have a skinny monkey on board). And I found that the grille guard for the 35-series will fit the 29 series--only problem is the tires scrub the suitcase weights bit. ....

View my Photos
sidewinder

2005-08-10          114677

I have a TC40D with supersteer and love it, no problems in two years service. It makes tight mowing or bush hogging much easier. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2006-03-27          126715

All you guys with this tractor, SS and a belly mower. How much of a pain is it to take off the belly mower? Or, is it in the way to do loader work? ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-03-27          126723

Super Steer was all the rage about 4 years ago here on TP. We rarely hear anyone talk about it anymore.

I have never used one but if mowing is one of your chores, I doubt it would be of any use, I often try to make the turns wider to avoid ripping up the turf, so SS would just make things worse. There are probably situations where it is handy, I just have not had any instance where it would have helped me in what I do.

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-27          126740

If you read this thread you will find that people use it for mowing and it allows tigher turning. JD had a similar system on their larger field tractors. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2006-03-27          126743

I was wondering if you can leave the belly mower on and do other things like, loader work, tilling, grading, etc.. It doesn't have so much to do with the SS as it does with the belly mower. I just happen to know of one the has SS, belly mower, and loader. BTW, it's a '99 with 500hrs for $14500, how's that price sound? ....

View my Photos
treeman

2006-03-28          126763

I've never had a problem with my SS tearing up any sod and I mow as much of the yard as I can. It's easy to remove the mower when the loader is on. Unhook the deck and lift the front off the ground with the loader and that gives you all the room you need to slide the deck out. I have a hoist in the shop that I use to lift the front up to swap the deck. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2006-03-28          126764

You can pin the deck in the up position so you can use the 3ph. The only problem is the lack of ground clearance with the deck on. I bought my TC33D with mower and loader new for $20500. It was the best thing I ever did. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2006-03-28          126766

"The only problem is the lack of ground clearance with the deck on."

That's what I was wondering, but it sounds easy enough to take off. How's the quality of the cut? ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-03-28          126771

Did anybody see the new JD lawn tractor ads last week showing the models with 4 wheel steering. Looked at one this morning. It seems to be heavily constructed. I realize it is not a CUT and this thread is about super-steer. I feel this is the correct direction to go since you shouldn't rip up the lawn with 4 wheel steering. I also feel it will do less damage than the zero turns which appear to be the craze these days.

With the 48" deck the X324 lawn tractor will cut up to a 9-inch uncut radius. (so it will cut around an 18" circle).

Getting back to super steer. I'd be afraid of it if I had a loader on it unlesss that feature can be locked out. I'd also be nervous with it on hilly terrain. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2006-03-28          126780

steve...I'm very pleased with the quality of cut with the mower. I have the side discharge deck. I took the chute off so it blows the grass out nicely without leaving windrows. I've never had a problem with clogging up with grass either. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2006-03-28          126783

Treeman,
I forgot to ask you if that price was for SS? What do think of that price I mentioned? It's at a dealer and they say it's very clean. It's a few miles from me so I'd have to go look at it on the weekend. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-03-28          126784

Hey Art!

Can you tell us if Kubota has abandoned Super Steer and why?

I think you explained this a couple of years ago in the archives.

Thanks ....

View my Photos
treeman

2006-03-28          126791

Steve,
Yes, it has SS. I'm amazed every time I have to mow sharp around something. If I do a donut with the mower, it'll leave about a 32" uncut circle. I'm not sure on prices. I don't know what used ones are going for. ....

View my Photos
lewy44

2006-04-26          128351

I bought my TC33 partially based on the fact that I could get super steer. I had driven an older Ford farm tractor with super steer and thought it was great. I have over 700 hours on my TC33 with no problems. Sure the front of the tractor moves the opposite direction slightly when first turning the steering wheel. This problem is easy to get accustomed too.

In addition to the tighter turning radius, another advantage of the super steer tractor is the longer wheel base which results in a smother ride.

I purchased my TC 33 with ag tires. My dealer tried to discourage this saying the ag tires would tear up the grass, but this farm boy just needed to have a 'real' tractor. A little common sense has resulted in no turf problems. When I go play in the mud, I am glad I have ag tires. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login