Go Bottom Go Bottom

How long should a chainsaw chain last

View my Photos
tnrobnz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-09-29          146246

How long before i need to sharpen my blade? What is the best sharpening method to use power or no power? After reading about the saw sharpening problem I would sharpen them my self. Now all I need is the tools and knowledge.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-29          146248

I don't use a hard and fast rule for sharpening but it's not hard to know when a chain is dull. When a chain is nice and sharp the chips it cuts are thin and large, almost wafer like, and the saw almost pulls itself through the wood. When a chain is dull the chips are more like sawdust and a lot more effort is needed to push the saw through the wood. If you keep an eye on the chip size and the effort needed to cut you will pick up on the differences between sharp and dull chains quickly. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-29          146252

I think a lot comes into how much you will be using a chain saw, how far to a shop that does a GOOD job in sharping the chain and such. If I had a shop near me that did a GOOD job and I did not use my saw every day, I would have them sharpner the chains. Just have a few chains. Not all chain saw dealers do a GOOD job in sharping chains. That is why last winter I bought my own sharpner. No report by me, have not used any chain yet sharpen on it.

You will find some here who use hand files and get great results, I don't. kt

LOOK AT OTHER THREAD ON WOES ON THIS TOPIC. It is current. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-09-29          146273

When cutting wood I found that it was the easiest to keep a sharpe chain sharp then to let it go to far and have to bring it back.
When I did knick the chain from stone or steel than if possible do to the amount of tooth to be removed would I look for a power sharper.
To the heading it really depends on what you are cutting as to the wood and as to how clean the wood is and the times sharpened. I've made it a point to always have a spare chain for every bar size. ....

View my Photos
bloggins

2007-09-29          146275

Like ART said, it depends on the type of wood you are cutting (the harder/more dense the wood the more it takes it out on the chain) and the amount of grit that gets into the chain when/if you cut the wood on soil. With practice you'll be able to judge when to stop cutting the felled tree before hitting soil (and I hope no rocks). As well how your saw is set up for feeding chain oil is important. I err on feeding just too much chain oil, the stuff is cheap so use it liberally. When they are dull, they won't cut well and can even leave scorch marks in the wood, because of all of the wasted friction. As for sharpening...I have 3 chains and get them sharpened for me at the same time (keep them in the old boxes, their is info for shapening on them). Again as ART said, the sharpening quality will vary, so when you find a good Sharpener (Sharpenist? Sharpenette?) stick with him/her. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-09-30          146287

Using a file takes practice and patience. I never used one due to lack of same. But when the price of sharpening went over three bucks a chain, I picked up a file and learned. First sign of a working chain getting dull, I'd take five minutes to file new edges. After a while, the saw will no longer cut a straight line. That's the point at which I'd then take that chain in for a machine sharpening.

When the price of sharpening hit seven bucks a chain, I decided to get that $99 Harbor Freight benchtop chain sharpener. I caught it on sale for $30, so I bought two. The second one is just for spare parts to keep the first one running. So for less than the price of somebody else sharpening five chains, I now do my own (and my neighbors).

//greg//

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2007-09-30          146307

So I take it you "like" the harbor freight one? I will be looking into this pretty soon! After purchasing the outdoor wood furnace, I will be using the saw more than ever so it will pay to buy the sharpener. If you only sharpen a chain every year or so, I would not take up garage space to save a few bucks but like it was mentioned know who you are taking your chain too! A lesson I learned
is; Yes, a chain can be screwed up by someone sharpening it with a machine! SO, Inspect your chain before walking away from the shop! ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-09-30          146313

Yes, I like the HF bench sharpener a helluvalot more than paying somebody else seven bucks a pop to turn my chains blue. Word of caution though, I don't recommend it for light duty chains. The chain guide - the part that squeezes the chain while the grinding wheel drops - doesn't adjust narrow enough to do my neighbor's 12" Echo chain. Probably wouldn't work on electric chain saws or limb trimmers either. I've since modified mine to grip the skinny chains. But right outa the box? Forget it.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-10-01          146340

You can dull a sharp chain in less than a minute by cutting through sand impregnated bark, hitting a hidden nail or driving the chain into the dirt when sectioning downed trees.

Or you can cut all day if you avoid the all the above....... ....

View my Photos
randywatson

2007-10-09          146687

A chain will last according to what you are cutting, as well as how well you protect from damage.

As to power, or hand sharpening, if using power, be careful not to over do the speed overheating and causing loss of temper on chain

Personally I use the simple file method, touching the chain up as soon as is shows sings of being dull. ....

View my Photos
crunch

2007-10-10          146726

I ran through a bunch of chains when I sawed up some railroad ties a while ago. Wish I had this northerntool sharpener back then. Price for sharpening here is $8 per chain and you have to leave them off at the hardware store and pick them up a week later. Sharpen your chain ten times and it pays for itself. Works great. Good reviews on the site. ....

Link:   NorthernTools Chain Sharpener

View my Photos
Art White

2007-10-10          146728

That is a good find! I know at one time when I looked at them they were in the 300 to four hundred dollar mark but that was about 20 years ago and they looked about the same.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-10-10          146729

Does that come with different grinding disks for the different size files one would use for match the chains specs? ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-10-10          146732

The grinder works on a slightly different principal. The stone is beveled, and the arm has an adjustable depth stop. You also adjust a chain stop, so that only the very tip of the leading edge comes into contact with the stone. These features pretty much take the place of the various file sizes.

Only sharpening a dozen or so chains a year, I went for an even cheaper model (see link below). I actually got mine on an even deeper discount: $29.99 (that's why I bought two; one active, the other as a parts machine).

//greg// ....

Link:   Harbor Freight Sharpener

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-10-10          146739

TIPS on keeping your chain sharp........

A sharp chain will produce large wood chips when cutting. It will easily cut through any log. When you begin to see smoke from the chain, or when you notice that the chips are more like sawdust, it's time to sharpen the chain.

Dirt is the most common enemy. Dirt will cause a chain to dull faster than anything but concrete, or steel (nails). Painted boards will also cause a chain to dull quickly.

Use a log lift when cutting trees on the ground. This will help prevent the blade from making contact with the ground. A log lift will help keep the chain sharp longer than any other tool you have.

Remove as much bark as possible before cutting, as it's the bark that holds the dirt.

Bark also causes a huge amount of ash to build up in the fireplace. Remove any remaining bark before hauling the wood into the house.

Tree bark also holds the greatest share of the wood boring insects. Removing the bark will prevent an insect infestation in the home, keep your chain sharp longer, and make very little mess when hauling in the firewood.

The smallest amount of dirt or sand retained in the bark will dull a chain very quickly. This is one of the reasons why sawmills remove the bark before ever attempting to make the first cut.

Joel ....

View my Photos
crunch

2007-10-10          146772

Mine came with 3 grinding disks but then it was $100. I see they only list 1 grinding disk as included now, but it should take all three sizes. Somewhere in the reviews they say this is a copy of the Oregon 511 and that Oregon grinding disks will fit this.

Is nice to be able to get a sharp chain and at the same time take very little metal off when you are doing your own adjustments on the sharpener. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-10-10          146775

Something I've been fortunate to be able to see was an 048 stihl that was heavy compared to todays saws but tuned effectively to handle a 24" bar at full tilt and not die! It was in skidded wood that was dirty, it was against an 090 sthil 090 that was set at 3500 rpm. I could only cut three logs and needed shapening where he could cut multiple whole truck loads!

Go slow in trash in and dirt and it may keep you sharp longer! ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2007-10-10          146779

Art has a great point there! Fact is that (I learned the embarressing way) I here more folks winding their saws wide open to limb a felled tree! I was using my buddie's saw (He is a full time logger/owner) a few years back (15) He comes out yellin an bitchin at me. Say's, "what da Heck you doing? Your not cutting a 2 foot tree, its a friggin 2" limb! The saw will last ya 20 times as long if you run the engine speed proper for what your cutting. I now think he was also refering to chain life between csharpening.
He also would whip out his file about (on average) every hour or so to touch up while working (that was said here earlier too)
Since then, I hear a saw winding up while limbing twigs and I laugh. Since I bought my rancher, I let the saws weight push thru with a nice steady slow chain speed. It may not "sound as cool" BUT, I think it definately will show in future life ....

View my Photos
rossjonnes

2019-05-22          198423

Is there anyone who can recommend the best product among the ones listed here?

View my Photos
candoarms

2019-05-22          198427

RossJonnes,

I run a tree care company. I make a living with my saws.

Don't waste your time with anything else......just buy the Pferd CS-X sharpening system. It's about 35 bucks.

You will absolutely NEED to know your chain pitch and style. There are different sharpening tools for each chain pitch, etc.

For example, you will need to know if your chain is 3/8" (375), .404, or ..325" pitch. You will also need to know if you have the micro style.

Chain gauge is the thickness of the drive link. New chains must fit properly in the rail in your bar. The most common gauge widths are .058, and .063. There are others.

Measure center to center of three rivets on your chain. Pick any three rivets and measure from the center of rivet 1 to the center of rivet 3. That's your pitch. Gauge is measured by putting a caliper on the drive link and measuring the width.

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

Link:   Pferd CS-X

View my Photos
kthompson

2019-07-23          198646

candoarms, I was not aware there was any one who made these till stumbled across them for my Stihl saws. They work very well with no skill or talent. Only issue I have is need way to hold bar steady which a dog is recommended driven in into piece of wood if memory is correct or do like me, file slowly or use a vice. . ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login