Go Bottom Go Bottom

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
"D"
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-14          66234

Hello all - I'm a very new guy when it comes to buying
mid size tractors. I have been beating the Ol Horse to death. I do not want to make any mistakes but this procrastination is driving me crazy. I located a good used JD 4110 with a front loader at below $13,000. I want to cut grass on 15 + - acres. I also want to add attachments for a 2 acre garden and maintain a small pasture. I do not want to end up with a tractor that is a small garden type that will be over worked. Also would like any information on transporting it. I thank all of you that can give me some
advice. "D"

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-15          66288

Dennis fixed the title to your post so now we can respond.

A couple of questions:

Is the 4110 a Gear or HST model?

And define mowing?

Fifteen acres is a LOT of mowing. Are you talking mowing grass as you might with a mid mount mower? Or are we on the brush hog sheet of music?

I think a 4110 can cut a 5 foot swath as a grass mower but can only run a 4 foot heavy brush cutter. Either way you wouldn't want to do 15 acres every week or even every month.

If you are knocking down weeds and grass twice a year, a 60 inch mower might work out.

As an aside, the 4110 is a very, very well made tractor. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
Ducati996
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-15          66291

D,

I lost the links that gave you I guess a book value on
JD machines. The price you mentioned sounds ok but that depends on the hours and if its a HST machine. And if tax is involved (private or dealer sale).
Maybe someone has a good reference link for book values?
15 acres mowing is alot, I wouldnt want to tackle that much on any machine !! Hst is the desirable option, I have a 4100 gear ,4110 is the replacement with same spec's. I also bought used, with really low hours. I'm fine with a gear but i see the advantages with HST. Very capable machine, however I would say Mark has more experience and attachments with the 4110-4115 series than most, so I would pay close attention to what he advises on capabilities...

Ducati996 ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-15          66316

D, I do sell for the other guys but you are going to be taxing that tractor a lot. I'd be looking for a bigger one. Probably the 30 horsepower range would be the best. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-15          66324

Thanks Mark - It is the HST - and I have an orchard and
5 or so acres around it. It does get quite long at
times. I heard from a couple of others and I'm thinking
it will be a little small for my ranch with some hills
and such. I will look around for a good clean one a little larger. Don't want to bog down and wear it out. Saw
another one larger and also a New Holland any comments?
Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you all. "D" ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-15          66326

The JD 4110 is a good tractor and will last a long time. But now how you plan on using it. I would go with a much large tractor, somewhere in the 4510-5220 range. 15 acres is a lot of grass. I would go with a pull behind wide area finishing batwing mower. There is a guy who lives around the corner from me. His front yard is 12 acres. He is cutting it with a 5410 w/loader and cab, that is towing a 15 ft finishing mower. Looks just like a golf course when is his done, because he cuts it every 3 days. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-15          66327

D, you also had questions about transporting.... do you plan on trailering the beast? If so, that may well be a limiting factor. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-15          66335

I'm inclined to agree with the above mentioned. 15 acres is ALOT of green to cut. I cut about 8 acres about every 10 days on average during the growing season and I am glad to have the 4410. I use a 72' MMM but I am obsesive about checking for rocks and debry. It is no brush hog. In heavy grass the engine still can get loaded down. Marks comment about towing it yourself is very valid. Mine is not so bad to tow in a tandem axle trailer with the loader and MMM removed, but all the trailer can handle with them on. What really piled the weight on was loading the rear tires. You can get all you want to cut done with the 4110 but not real fast. If you are wanting the small frame 4000 Ten Series tractor at least consider the 4115 with the substantial increase in hp and torque as well as a bit larger frame. Personally I would think the 4310 or 4410 or larger would be more in line from what you describe. They will give you the performance as well as leave you capacity for jobs you have not though of yet; which always seems to be the case. Rent one and see how it works out for you if you have any doubts. Definitely demo ALL the models you think you might have any interest in and go with what suits you best. Good luck! ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66429

Mark - Ducati996 - Art - itsgottobegreen - Chief -

Hope I got to all of you that replied to my question on the JD 4110. I have moved on with the comments as it would be over-worked and just under-powered. I drove to a

Dealer and he really has me mixed up suggested a 790 and one that was mentioned by one of you the 4610. Seems like there should be a big difference between them. The 790 was around $15,000 with loader. Which do you think is the better of the two? He also said if there are any hills to get the standard transmission. I think a used butnice 4610 is $16,000. Thanks guys - hope to hear from you
soon.

"D" ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-17          66433

The 790 and the 4610 are both great tractors but the sales guy is mixing apples and oranges. If you want a solid well built but basic conventional tractor the 790 is the tractor you may want but in this case, I would suggest the 990 in 4WD as it has the hp, torque, and weight to handle more of what your wanting to do with it. The 790 will do but take longer. If you prefer ehydro (and I certainly do) the 4610 in 4WD is the best bet for the money spent in the large frame 4000 Ten Series tractors. I don't know what the salesman is referring to about not being good on hills. Once I figured that 4WD is essential on ANY type of slope of hill, my 4410 is great on hills. The ehydro works to control the speed for me and definitely saves me time and repetition when turning around and in tight spots. The ehydro is also very handy well hooking up to an impliment, trailer, etc to move. The 4610 will give you more abilities down the road and that is not a bad price. How many hours on it? There is not so much a better of the two in this case but more of which will meet your needs and expectations best. I would suggest the 4610. Just remember that this is a good bit larger tractor than the 790 or 4110. Will that be an issue? If not, I say go for the 4610. I don't think you will be dissappoint reguardless of which tractor you go with. Again, just to put it in a nut shell...... if you want basic features go with the 990, bells and whistles with ehydro, get the 4610. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66436

Thanks Chief - I do really want the one with the largest frame. That would be the 4610 - right? I will get more information on the 4610 and pass it on to you. The discussion on the hills had me also wondering. He said he sells almost 6 to 1 with standard shift. I think the real reason is the $3000 figure for the upgrade. With the
nice options to add later I want to be able to handle it.
The question I had on transporting was only to get the
tractor to Texas. Thanks again "D" ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-17          66438

The Kubota option for the hydro I believe comes in around 1500 to 1800 which is a great buy for the option. The next best is Kubota's Glideshift which has been very popular for people needing a gear drive transmission but yet don't like to ever hear a gear clashing. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66439

Chief -

I quoted you the 4610 it is actually a 4310 E-HYDRO 4X4 -430 LOADER. Does this still sound like a good deal at $16.000? Also do you still think it will handle my jobs? how much smaller is it than yours?

thanks
"D" ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-17          66440

DTNPROP, yes the 4610 is the larger of the two. Many farmers and folks involved in ag activities perfer a shift trans and savings go to other things like impliments and such. Some prefer the ehydro that have a variety of uses. All depends on what works best for the buyer. Certainly nothing wrong with a standard shift. That is what I had on all my previous tractors and my buddy who sells John Deeres made me demo an ehydro (as I did not want it orginially, I thought the standard shift was stronger and more reliable)(that may stil be debatable ;-)). After I tried it out and watched how well these tractors could push and pull huge amounts of weight around with ease on the flight line; I was a believer. I strongly suggest you demo the 4610, 790, and 990. For that matter any other color tractors you may have thoughts of too. Then buy the one that suits you and your uses best. The 990 all round is probably the best buy out there for the dollar spent. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66441

Chief -

Do you think the difference of the three hp is enough to consider? (4310-4410) I need a good tractor but I can keep going up and up never satisfied. Not sure
what the 4310 cost new but would guess at $20,000 with loader. Just want to make sure it can over handle my acres with a few hills. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-17          66442

I was thinking that was a pretty good price on a 4610. ;-) The 4310 to be honest would probably fit you better. The 4610 is a good bit bigger. The 4310 is the value buy of the medium frame 4000 Ten Series. Ken can tell you from actual experience as much or better than I can. My 4410 is the same size but with a few more ponies and torque.

That is still a very good price. How many hours are on this machine and what tires? Dual or extra SCV? Mid pto? I doubt it for that price but just had to ask. I think you would be very happy with this machine. I am sure Ken will post his thoughts. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-17          66445

You're right about the continually spending more and more. I bought the 4410 because my Army buddy took care of me on a sale. I got is cheaper than a 4310 and will probably never come across a deal like that again in my life time. Had this not been the case I would have most certainly bought the 4310. The 4410 has more of an increase in torque than hp due to the larger displacement engine. Here is a comparison of machines: ....

Link:   click here

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66446

Chief -

Thanks for the reply and I hope Ken reads this aswell. Let me give you the list on the 4310. But first how much larger frame is the 4410 over the 4310? Ok here is what I know -E-HYDRO (?) 4X4 - 430 loader - folding ROPS - Hydrostatic - Mid PT0 - R 4 tires Dual Mid and single rear SCV hydraulics under 100 hours. What do you think?

What is with all those toys you have? I just looked at your pictures. You have to be SINGLE.

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-17          66448

I've had a 4310 eHydro for about four months now, which I use to maintain 15 acres of hilly property (about 13 acres of douglas firs and two acres of pasture). I've used it to bush hog the pasture, which was heavily overgrown with 10-12 foot vine maples and thick blackberry, and it just mowed over 'em without any hesitation. I've used it to skid trees, to roll up slash, to level the driveway, to smooth out heavy equipment ruts from years of logging, etc. The 4410 was an extra $1500 for a few more hp (dealer wouldn't go any lower) and I have yet to need more power. This thing runs out of traction long before it runs out of power. I could NOT be more pleased.

The eHydro has been wonderful - when doing loader work or climbing hills the loadmatch feature is a winner. I mostly got the eHydro for my wife, but after having it I'm really sold.

I have no complaints whatsoever. Well, the price could have been lower but it was comparable to Kubota's with similar specifications. If I was on a tight budget I probably would have gone for the 790 (and made my wife shift gears) but with 0% financing and low depreciation I think I made the right choice.

Chief is right, though, the 990 is a HECK of a tractor for the money. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-17          66449

The 4310 and 4410 all have the same size frame. They are pretty much identical with the only difference being the engine - the rest of the specs are the same. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-17          66451

4410 is the exact same size as the 4310. For that price, provided she has been well cared for; you better grab that deal and run!

Nope, happily married with 3 daughters. Surrounded with beautiful women. ;-) The toys are well........ I guess I am a pretty "thrifty" guy. ;-) I think there are quite a few others here that have the toys market cornered compared to me. LOL!

I would ask if the 20 hr. service was done just to make sure it was not forgotten. Very important service. The mid pto and extra SCV will allow you a MMM if you choose in the future. I think you will be very happy with the tractor. Go for it! ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66452

Thanks -

Are you Ken???

What do you think of the price and list of options that it has? Do you think I could get a new one if I shopped around? ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-17          66456

I doubt you will get a new one at that price. Not at all likely. My mistake for not using his handle. kwschumm = ken. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-17          66457

Yes, I'm Ken. Sometimes we all get a little familiar after talking with each other for months.

I reread the thread, and if I understand correctly your dealer has a 4310/MFWD/430 loader/Mid PTO with some extra SCVs and 100 hours on it for $16k. Is that right? That sounds like a very good price. Does it have any warranty left? Chief is right, you should ask to be sure all the required servicing has been done and try to negotiate free pickup and delivery if any problem arises. A new one would be probably $3k more and you could buy some good implements with that money. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66458

Chief -

I was also in the service think he can cut this ol boy a deal? You had better really enjoy those toys yourtime is coming soon - when those lil darlings start to turn into teen ager"s you will be going on a lot of dates with them.

I will have to check on the 20 hour service alsoI will have to pay someone to haul it to Texas should it happen. Any ideas? The MMM is for a belly mower correct? I might also add that all those toys and having a tobacco farm
could have a balance. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66459

Ken - This one is from a private person out of state. I would have to have it transported. Any ideas on cost?

I think it has been maintained but will check for receipts.It has about 1 1/2 years left on warranty. Just sounded like a better deal than what the dealer wanted. He was giving a price of $16,000 plus on a 790. I would like to have a large framed tractor.

Boy does that fellow Chief have a lot of toys. Did you see his pictures? I wonder if I would be able to plant tobacco in texas?

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-17          66460

Yep, Chief sure has a lot of toys. I'm often envious until I think of him changing oil and servicing all his toys :)

Sorry, no idea on shipping. I've never had to ship something as large as a tractor. Others here with experience in that area will likely chime in. How far does it have to go? Any possibility of renting a trailer and going to pick it up? I'm sure that would be the cheapest way to go. Check your insurance if you go that route. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-17          66461

If you can get ahold of a trailer and have a truck to tow with , you could try picking it up yourself. Otherwise figure around $1.50 per loaded mile. How far are you talking about? ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66463

The tractor is in Ohio and I need it in San Antonio. Chief I noticed you have a nice new Dodge Diesel. Would you believe I was going to start asking questions on what type of truck ya'll were using. I want to buy a Diesel but thats another story. My wife and I just re-tired and bought a business in Texas. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66465

Chief/Ken - See thats what I was thinking - if the cost is about $1.50 a mile and it is around 1000 miles or so give or take not sure - than is the difference in the price only going to be around $1500. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-17          66467

Forgive me if this was mentioned earlier in the thread - if it was, I missed it. Have you ever driven a 4310/4410 eHydro? You may find it doesn't ergonomically fit you and that would be a good reason to avoid any particular model. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-17          66469

This really depends on your budget and your outlook on life, but if it were me and I was faced with the choice of buying something used out of state sight unseen and shipping it 1000 miles to save $1500 or buying new locally with 0% down and 0% financing I'd go new and local. Don't underestimate the value of a good relationship with a local dealer. It wouldn't hurt to get a couple of local dealers to give you a price on a new machine so you KNOW what they are selling for in your area. Prices vary from region to region. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66470

Ken I used to drive a case backhoe and it had a shuttle feature and I thought it was about the same. No???? ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-17          66472

I didn't mean shuttle vs. hydro, I meant how does the tractor fit and feel to you. Driving position, pedal arrangement, reach to the pedals, reach to the steering wheel, loader control position, etc. As an example of a bad fit the subject of the 790 came up earlier in the thread and the 790 just wouldn't fit me right - it was too tight for my large frame, so even with a great price I wouldn't have been comfortable on that machine. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66473

Yes I went to a couple of dealers. I was at first thinking of a 4010 and when I saw it my first reaction was it was just and oversize lawn mower. The 790 was not bad and there is a lot of action in texas as they rent them out to farmers during harvest and get them back with under 100 hours. The price he was quoting was discounted with full warranty but I thought it was still high. The 790 was almost $16,000 with loader. I was told about this one and thought it was a real deal but if the difference you say is around $3000 without the transportation I will re-group.

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-17          66474

Ken makes some good points. I did not realize this tractor was 1,000 miles away. As I suggested earlier, you should demo these tractors and any others reguardless of color you think you may be interested in.

Some other points you may want to consider is if you file a schedule F on you income tax, you can depreciate the cost of a new tractor.

But again, the 1st step is to lay hands on a these tractors and put them through the paces to see how you like them. I first, I thought the 4410 was way too much tractor but I tried it out and it fit me and for that price; it DEFINITELY fit me! ;-) I have a great repour with my parts counter buddy Ricky who does me right and the dealer is very supportive.

Don't "Green Blood Fever" on us yet. Take your time and thoroughly check out these tractors and then buy. Just because the price is right does not make it a good deal. If you are not happy with it, then the money is not well spent.

Driving a couple of hundred miles to pick up the tractor is one thing,(I drove 500 miles round trip to buy my Dodge) but a thousand miles one way and sight unseen used is another story. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66476

Chief / Ken - If the deal was a real good one the thousand would not bother me but if the difference is not that big I would shop some more dealers in area. I will try to find out what others are paying dealers in their areas. That
should help. It will at least lay the price difference issue to rest.

Still I can't figure out how a married guy can have all those toys. You must have a good line and don't want to share it. I mentioned to my wife just now that everyone is telling me to buy the tractor and also to buy a bass boat - ski boat - pressure washer - generator - attachments - new truck - did I miss anything Chief??

I'll keep ya'll posted. "D" ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-10-17          66480

D,

You have kept me busy today. Ummm thanks for finding the "one letter userid" bug. That ones fixed.

Now here is how you can help me.

1)Please stop your typing style where you are hitting carriage return at the end of the input box. Just keep typing and let it wrap PLEASE! I fixed all your messages today, I don't like having to do that.

2)Please STOP hitting carriage return over and over at the end of your message. I don't like having to remove all the blank space.

Your help is appreciated. Hope you continue to enjoy the board, seems like you have gotten alot of help already.

Dennis
TractorPoint.com ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-17          66484

DTNPROP, looks like you already got Dennis to roll up the newspaper on ya. ;-) Will have to start another thread on toys. Its a long story. I am sure I am at the bottom end of the toy collection though. I am VERY happy with my toys but there are some folks here who have some REALLY nice toys. I say this in a VERY complimentary fashion. It just shows the great taste that Tractorpoint members have! ;-) ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66502

Dennis - It would have been real helpful if you would give the new folks some direction. I was left to wonder with no help and now this!!!!!!!!!! ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-17          66505

DTNPROP, I was kidding you about Dennis. I have done the same thing a couple of times myself with thread titles and username. Dennis is indeed a great forum master and gracious host. I think you took him the wrong way. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-10-17          66507

D, Chief,

Thanks Chief, we just want D to fit in here nice and comfortable with the rest of us. When I said that D kept me busy it was in regards to fixing the bug in my code D found, as well as the cosmetic stuff.

I think we have all given D a terrific TractorPoint welcome!

He has been very helpful in finding a bug, which I am very thankful for. Lord knows you have all found a bug or two, and this helps to continuously improve the board.

I am going to add some text to explain about the text wrapping thing as some others have periodically fallen into that trap as well.

Once again D thanks for joining us

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66508

Dennis - thanks I do appreciate it. I hope to learn most of the rules by the second day at least. I think this is a very good site and helpful. ....

Opinions on JD 4110

View my Photos
DTNPROP

2003-10-17          66509

Chief--I agree that most of the prices others have given are not just like the one I may get but at least I will be prepared for an approximate number. I tried to contact the local farm board and was told that I would have better luck to shop around the larger cities in the area. Do you know how big Texas is? That distance we were discussing is nothing compared to how far apart the larger towns are out here. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login