Go Bottom Go Bottom

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-05          146555

Ok Murf,

I saw your Picture 16. Now I hope that isn't your driveway ;)

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-05          146558

No, I have more trees around my place. ;)

But it does snow pretty good up here sometimes.

Best of luck. ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-10-05          146565

Dennis, I understand Murf uses blocks of snow to build a roof over his drive way, sort of like an igloo. :) kt You can owe me Murf. ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
Murf

2007-10-05          146568

Kenneth, shhhhhhh, it's actually grits not snow, we're hoarding them up here in an attempt to corner the world market. ;) ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2007-10-05          146571

On a related note: We just put down a ton (73 actually) of small stones on our driveway. Any advice on how to clear the snow with a rear mounted blade without moving stacks of stones onto the grass? ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-10-05          146573

AnnBrush,

I'm not sure where you live or what the winters are like there, but we have it pretty easy during the winter.

After the first snowfall, we simply drive over the snow and pack it down real good. It then remains there until March......sometimes May.

When clearing the driveway, we don't cut down so far as to cut into the first snowfall. I just adjust my blower skids high enough to skip over it.

If you live in a place in which the snow comes and goes throughout the winter, you'll have a much more difficult time with things. You'll have to adjust your blade high enough to miss the rocks, which will leave about two inches of snow on your driveway.

Joel ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-05          146574

Joel's on track, literally. I pack it down by driving on it to get it nice and solid where ever the rocks are. It's best to let it freeze if you can, then let the new snow fall before you plow. The ruts will fill up and you'll have a solid base keeping the rocks in place. For those places that do get rocks over the year, I use a power broom that has a slow-turning, rubber-bladed drum on a weed-trimmer style handle. Shindaiwa, Echo and Stihl make them. ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-10-05          146578

What is this S-N-O-W stuff that you speak of? hehe ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-06          146589

Take h-u-m-i-d-i-t-y, add below f-r-e-e-z-i-n-g air temperatures and there you have it.

brrrrrrrrr

But I gotta tell ya's, this will be the first year in 8 that I won't be plowing... snow, that it is. Sold it when I was in 'sippi. Now I can sleep in instead of waking at 2:30 waiting for snow. And I don't have to worry anymore about phone calls from angry (and stupid) customers who get their Corvettes stuck in 8" snows getting to their store (true story). And besides it has only snowed about 3-5 times each season here for the past 5 years anyway, so there's not much to plow anyway (read: can't pay bills). ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-10-06          146590

Oh yes, SNOW.

8 hours of sunlight. 16 hours of darkness. Wind blowing 40 miles per hour. Heating bills that will rob a man. Snow drifts 16 feet high. Temperatures in the -40 range........

and I'm smiling from ear to ear, because there won't be any mosquitoes or biting flies for the next 7 months. No weeds to pull....no grass to mow......no watering the garden, or washing the dog, or sweeping dirt from the floor.

Come Spring, I'll be smiling again, because there won't be any more scraping the snow and frost off of the windshields every day, or mopping up the melted snow from the floor, or trying to start a vehicle when it's frozen solid, or putting down salt on the steps.......and the dog can finally get another bath.

I lived in Georgia for three years while in the Army. I really did miss the cold weather, the snow, and the wind. More than that, I missed the seven month break from those pesky insects.

Snow is something I look forward to every year......and I might as well enjoy it, because we're going to get it whether we want it or not.

Time to get outdoors and truly enjoy myself. It will take a while to get used to having no mosquitoes in my face. I'll walk around here swatting at imaginary flies and mosquitoes for about a month, just out of habit......until I finally realize that I can actually use both hands when working on the car.

Joel ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-06          146598

Joel, the "no cleaning the floor or the dog for 7 months" thing... I take it you either don't want relatives dropping by, or you're single :) tehehehehe ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
cutter

2007-10-06          146602

Do you have a loader Ann? I curl the bucket back to allow an inch or two of snow to accumulate prior to using the blower or rear blade, much like suggested by others. Works great until the thaw comes.

Speaking of winter, I was ready for some cooler weather. Boat is out now, covered the pool two weeks ago and here it is another week in the 80's with full bug infestations. Felt odd today, my shirt was soaked with sweat from "winterizing" one of my boat engines. The water is so low in Lake Ontario I dared not leave it in any longer.

Bring on the cold!

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
bloggins

2007-10-07          146603

Yeah, I was splitting and stacking firewood today with only a t-shirt on...and sweating! I just feel that we (northerners) will all pay for this good weather with wickedly cold temps. I hope I'm wrong. P.S.: bought a new wood splitter...what a labour saving device...and made in the USA (so the sticker says). ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
cutter

2007-10-07          146604

I'm thinking about the same thing and hopefully I can find a made in the USA model! Once I get to cleaning the back acres I will have plenty of wood to split. ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
auerbach

2007-10-07          146613

If you didn't get SOME stones on the grass, you'd have nothing to do in the spring! But here are tips.

Get the way as level as possible. Set blade angles optimally. I'd go for maximum offset (angle) and exact tilt (one side raised/lowered). High RPMS and low ground speed will give more control raising if it digs in. If the surface is bumpy, push in reverse, which better keeps the blade the same height off the stones. When it's cold enough the stones should solidify and resist being moved with the snow. ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
bloggins

2007-10-07          146619

For Cutter, I bought an MTD 5.5 hp 21 ton unit that works fine even on 24" diam logs. Other models to consider are Swisher (mid-US) and Timberwolf (VT) who have a 3pt hitch PTO driven hyd pump splitter (their website has some good videos of the splitters in use and a dealer in Lima, NY). ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
cutter

2007-10-07          146620

Thanks bloggins, I will check that three point splitter out. I don't really need another motor to maintain. ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-18          147120

I just picked the first tick off the dog since late spring (June 28th). The bugger was actually infected on her belly, never seen a tick bite look like this so I actually washed it off! Never did that before on a dog. Ill take a hundred tick bites over one mskeeter bite, yep, bring on winter.
Aheeem, MR. EARTHWKS, you gettin soft boy??? Gettin used to those warm cushy days down in the stanchville area?
CMon now boy, you better get back north before your skin loses that toughness to it. I hear that if you stay there long enough you actually begin to like it there? Is that true? Or is it those mushrooms your eating?
Time to let the south go and come back to gods country!
(Bring that New holland skid steer too, I have a use for it since I dont own one yet, HEE HEE) ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-19          147126

Broken, I've been back since early March. When I left it was 73 degrees and sunny there. However when I got home two days later it was 10 degrees and we got 4 inches of fresh snow. But that was okay though becuase I sold my sno plow since I was expecting to stay there---until the money ran out down there. People say to me, "But there's all kinds of work down there isn't there". Yes there is, if you either do it for free or don't want top get paid!
BTW, my buddy has a 1998 LX665 skid steer with steel tracks, a grapple bucket and a regular bucket for sale for $10,000. Just need your address! ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-10-19          147136

Murf, man how did it take me so long to notice what had happened to the GRITS! Wondered why all here was the yellow ones. Murf, too many here have very little idea...call me when done. O, ham or sausage please. kt ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-19          147140

Kenny, the grits are yellow for a totally different reason: we nort'ners have a saying that goes, "Don't eat yellow snow" GitwhadImean? ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
crunch

2007-10-19          147145

I will be on the boat this weekend and the pool is still open. ....

Getting ready for Snow

View my Photos
cutter

2007-10-19          147151

Sorry I pulled mine out of the water now. I was concerned with the low water but should have paid the marina to hoist it out next month and the heck with doing it myself. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login