Go Bottom Go Bottom

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-21          136183

A week or so ago my wife tells me there was someone banging on my door with a vengeance. That's why I have a security system - my wife and I don't answer the door for anyone who approaches us like this. So I figure it was election BS or whatever. A week later I am playing around on my tractor and this car pulls in my driveway and a big guy walks out and approaches me on my tractor with a clipboard. I shut the tractor off - don't get down and he tells me that he has legal papers for me. I could tell this was the same guy my wife talked about.

Seems someone got in a car accident and owed someone $1500. It turns out there are two people on the street with my last name. The other guy with my name told this guy it wasn't his accident (but neglected to tell the guy he had a son with the same name). After the guy was convinced I knew nothing of the accident he left and I haven't seen him again. By the way - he did inform me he was a retiree of the sheriff's dept and was working for some extra $$.

But this kinda torqued me off. My house is my castle and I don't want any a**hole pulling into my driveway and presenting me with legal papers. I don't want election people coming onto my driveway either. (the last of which was blatantly gay.) I don't want anyone but friends, family, and tractor point members stopping by. How do you approach uninvited trespassers to your house?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-21          136185

Live in the boonies! In six years we haven't had a problem yet. But a process server will probably find you wherever you are. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-10-21          136187

Ha! That is clearly one way to avoid this sort of stuff. Now that I can work from home maybe I WILL move 100 miles from work. But does anyone still meet people at the door with a 12 gauge shotgun? Come on, make me feel at home :) ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-10-21          136189

We've got a shotgun by the front door. If anyone came banging on the door at night you can bet I'd open the door carrying the shotgun. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-22          136195

We live on a well traveled county pavement,last summer the count was 2500 per day,we used to have two or three a month with no spare flats, etc. but since everyone from ten years old up has a cell phone we havent had a stranger on our step for a couple years. I did used to keep the 20 guage behind the curtain, but never had anyone give me the urge to reach for it so it's back in the closet. I'm not a political radical of any kind but once in a while one stops by, sometimes I'll take the opposite of their view just for the sake of a good friendly argumwent. Frank. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-10-23          136238

two hungry dobermans do as good a job as a 12-gauge. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
Murf

2006-10-24          136269

I have client who has a gate with a push-button intercom at the road, beneath the push button is a small sign, it reads as follows;

"The driveway is long, I can empty the gun and reload before you get to the front door, I also have dogs. Still wish to push the button?"

A number of years ago I had a.... ummm, err, well .... couple of very determined, well-dressed young men who were representing a certain ... "off-beat" religion come up my driveway to convince me that God would like me better if I joined their church. I was holding Deputy Dog in my arms, but had whispered a command to him as they pulled up. It quickly became apparent that he *really* wanted to get to them. One of the young men claimed he liked dogs and I should let Jackson down to meet him. I calmly stated that my lawyer had said I wasn't allowed to do that anymore, especially after what happened "last time".

They left........ quickly.

Best of luck. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-10-25          136294

Murf, nothing like dogs to keep strangers at bay. My two are wooses but they sure sound mean when someone knocks at the doorbell. When my folks watch my dogs, they don't even bother to lock their door. They have two goldens. So add on my two and you have 4 very mean sounding dogs. You'd have to be completely stupid to try anything.

I also live in the country but on a heavily traveled road. If someone comes knocking when it's late, I answer with a .40 cal Berretta with a spare clip. People sure do get cautious if they see it or wonder at why I'm keeping my right hand back and away from their view. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-10-25          136299

SIGN

NO TRESPASSING

USE OF DEADLY FORCE IS AUTHORIZED

How serious are you, your safety and your familys should be number one it is for me. If I dont know you and you do not have the deicency to call for a appoinment then I answer the door with a gun. Now that stops all questions and BS.
How do you stop them from entering the property. A gate works, a pain in the but to keep opening and closing without spending a good deal of money for an automatic gate. Dogs are a Libility. They have to be fed 365 days a year, the bigger the more expensive, cleaned up after and real guard dogs are not good pets and never safe with children. If you do not belive this read the papers. You can hire a company to wire your house and pay a monthy fee. I would like to have a system that when a unknown enity enters the area it sends a video feed to my cell phone.
This is america an we enjoy so much freedom that comming up a drive way is not against the law. I understand your problem but after a few unwanted Indivudules leave the property with a story of guns and attitude they dont come back and spread the word.

just my ideas

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
Ducati996

2006-10-26          136350

This is strange - there are two threads on this subject but the post from myself and others were not on this thread, but on the other ?? ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-10-26          136359

I transferred mine ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
Murf

2006-10-30          136412

SG, with all due respect, I think, IMHO, you under-rate the ability of a dog, regardless of size or breed, to change the situation.

In my own experience, I had a young punk in a canoe paddled up onto the beach at my summer place *very* early (twilight, just before the sun came up) one morning. He was quite surprised to find me standing behind a tree when he walked up the beach. I asked if he was lost, he replied he wasn't, he was just stopping to relieve himself and asked what business it was of mine. I replied that there had been some things go missing, and stated that if he wasn't near my place it would be better for him, because then nobody could accuse him. He laughed and pointed to Deputy Dog who was sitting quietly at my feet and stated that if I wanted to keep people away I should get a guard dog. I said nothing, but pulled a dog biscuit from my pocket and held it straight out in my arm, 5' up, and told Jackson to take it, without even standing he leaped straight up and snatched it. I then puicked up a stout stick and told him to latch onto it, he did, I then proceeded to try (with both hands) to shake him off it, while his feet were 2' in the air, I couldn't. When I told him to release he did, and went back to sitting at my feet.

The kid just chuckled and said something like "yeah, so what?".

I reminded him that *his* ...... private parts .... were a *lot* less than 5' up, and not going to last nearly as long as that branch in a tug of war with my dog.

That canoe was nearly thrwing a wake he paddled away so fast.

It has been proven though that my experience is not unique, burglars, etc., are wanting to get in & out without being detected, even just a toy poodle yapping is more attention than they want. They will just go look for somewhere easier.

Best of luck. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-10-31          136439

I was told years ago for the best protection you need two dogs at least. One inside and one outside. The inside one warns you...not sure who the outside one is warning.

How to protect your property has been a concern even back to Biblical Days.

You know, this is why the issue in Iraq and the illegals is so important...they either want to are invading MY HOME...it is important that we stop them.

If not, those of you in Canada will soon need to speak three languages. Maybe four when you add Southern in there. Wait, you have snow, safe on Southern.

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-11-01          136481

Murf,
I did not under rate dogs for security. They are a very good security deterent. But they are expensive and high maintance. I have had dogs all my life, always the little fluffy type you know part of the family. In my county there is a leash law rural or not. If your dog gets out and trespasses with intent, then he dies of lead poison simple rule. In Georgia we have the right to shoot law. This is very good deterent. Dogs come on my property all the time if they are nice and gentle they visit and leave no harm no foul. Large agressive dogs dont stand a chance, dont get a chance, if you want him keep him on your land its the law.
My point is that there are less expensive methods with low maintance and high success rates. I have a private road no fence no gate and all can guess how it is protected. So would be villians beware it is legal and effective and so far 100%. If you want to visit, friends will be welcome. Beers is cold pond is full of fish.

nothing but love. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
Murf

2006-11-02          136499

SG, I think the point of a dog though, is that it is constantly vigilant, especially when you're not there to 'greet' unannounced (unwanted?) visitors.

Even your little fluffy companion will make a racket if someone unfamiliar comes around.

I agree with you though, to own a large dog purely as a watch-dog can be costly, and more than just in food. We here in Canada also have the right to shoot, but only in rural areas, and only to defend crops, livestock, pets or people. Not just because of trespass, although most people realize it's tough to question a dead animal. ;)

Best of luck. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-11-02          136512

Murf,

constantly vigilant, I think that is the reason for an electronic security system. Face it any system that we may have will deter the average numnuts. A thief worth their weight already has a plan. If you are poor like me they wont even slow down at my place.

Nice to have a discussion with someone and keep it civil. You are always pleasant individual with which to correspond.
you are the smartest man I know.

See ya

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-11-02          136515

SG,
Had to chuckle at the pond. It was easy to read between the lines on it...bet it is full of FISH FOOD too! LOL. Is it safe to eat fish raised in lead infested water?

I could be wrong, you might have your private road running around the pond and let the gators doe the trick. Would work for me.

Noticed your "Ps" Poor, Protected, Pond, Private...need to drop at least one.

I was at a site a week or so ago to look at some equipment for sale. BAD DOG. Barked and growed thought he was going to eat me, my dog and pickup. Good thing he was on a chain and could not reach anything. Drove by him to barn with equipment sitting out for all to see. Now the beagles almost run me off with their yapping as they were right at the equipment. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-11-02          136521

Just a warning...if you do get a dog for security reasons...do not get a Golden Retreiver. They are too glad to see any body. Any body. Had a lady tell her house was broken into and her's show where anything of value was. Had to, only way they could have found what they did. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-11-02          136525

never trust a blond. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-11-02          136526

When I was a youngster delivering newspapers, I clearly remember this Golden Retreiver that viscously chased me for a block or two every time this dog was out.

On the other hand my lab. - if you can get past her viscous bark - and make it clear you want to play with her, the house is yours. (We at least from the dog's standpoint, as the security system will be you biggest issue.)

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-11-02          136528

KT,

Maybe just the wrong order,
My poor protected private pond

If there are no gators in the pond, we can go look for some in the swamp. No telling what you may find there or lose there. You know when some one goes missing the news never states that they were found by law enforcement in the swamp. Everywhere else but never the swamp. Do they even look in the swamp. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
Murf

2006-11-03          136558

SG, thank you for the very kind words.

From as far back as I can remember hearing my Dads wise words, words I also heard later at Quantico.

Fighting is something the Marines are very good at, and it should never happen until after the President signs the Declaration of War. ;)

Civil and intelligent discussions, now that's a whoooole 'nuther matter!!!

Best of luck. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-11-03          136581

I don't keep my dogs as guards. But they make such a racket that anybody would have to be stupid or doped up to try anything. The lab sounds like a man eater despite being afraid if you look at him cross-eyed! But he makes me laugh. My mutt looks mean as she really gets her hackles up like a serious mohawk. Really freaks people out. But they are my buddies, not guard dogs.

Ya gotta love swamps for making people disappear. Italians and such have been using that method for centuries.

I do like dogs since they don't require electricity. We don't always have electricity out in the county but I do have my dogs. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-11-04          136588

SG8NUC, as a kid I always remember that my best friend insisted that there were alligators in the swamp at the bottom of the hill. It took a long time to convince him otherwise :) ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-11-04          136589

Rivers and cinder blocks are also useful tools for making people disappear. I have a 6'8" casket I made I keep in the attic. I built it when my daughter started dating a boy who was 6'7" - and pointed it out to him. I bring it out on halloween - it is always useful for scaring little kids. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-11-04          136596

I opt for the lead throwing defense BUt I often wondered why a Big Bad criminal who may be surrounded by three or four officers will tell em, " Cmon, I will kick all your a$$'s BUT have one mild manored officer get out of his squad with his dog and the guy just about put the cuffs on himself?
Yes, the dog is a second best defense.

(PS0 I saw a show that had a guy break in and feed the dog a steak, the watch dod was this guys best friend. (This was a set up news program type thing, pretty cool though! ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-11-04          136601

My neighbor recently had the Sopranos show leave a note in his mailbox asking for permission to use his house for a show. They were going to make some changes to the place which would be paid for by the show. Unfortunately he was on vacation. The town I grew up in around here was all Italian. Everyone's name ended in a vowel. Cement shoes are second nature. Everyone gets fitted for them. PTO wood chippers were always highly regarded. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-11-06          136642

NCRUNCH32

When I was growing there was always something in the swamp that would get you if you were not careful or when you went there without our parents knowing. Swamps were part of growing up with us. The stories late at night when when we were kids always involved the swaaaamp. Spider webs, moonlight, wind and dirt roads and we could see something in the swamp that looked like a ???????????. Those were good times. Simple and honest. ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
Jackpot

2006-11-13          136865

S&W 357 ....

Your Home is Your Castle

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-11-13          136872

A backhoe and some real, real remote distant property is nice to have just in case. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login