Go Bottom Go Bottom

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-06-13          154558

We here in Iowa and much of the midwest are in a major flood crisis. On the Cedar river for example only one of almost every river in the eastern half of the state that is flooded to record levels things are devestated. In Cedar Rapids for example Pop. around 120,000, only one bridge is open, a major railroad bridge has collapsed into the river and over 4000 homes have been evacuated, lots of power and gas has been shut off, and drinking water is very limited. The projected crest thart is to happen sometime today is 32ft. the old record from 1929 is 20ft. Most of the corn crop is in real bad shape, the newer corn hybrids are pretty tough, but no match for the continued waterlogged or flooded out field conditions. Lots of soybean acres remain to be planted with the planting window rapidly coming to a close. I don't know of anyone who has harvested any first crop alfalfa yet. Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
AnnBrush
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-13          154563

The effects are being felt around the world - we are trading corn futures over $7 this morning! ....

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-13          154564

I've been watching it each day with sadness.

How are you doing? Are you at risk? ....

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-06-13          154568

Headline in this morning's New York Times:

Eastern Iowa 'City that would Never Flood' 12 Feet Under Water.

Our hearts are with you. ....

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-06-13          154569

Yes, we are OK both homes are well above the river levels. One son in law and a son are flooded out at their workplaces in Cedar Rapids, but their homes are well above river levels. Yes the grain markets will likely react in frantic trading due to already known and projected crop loss, great for the farmer IF he or she has a crop to sell, but very devestating for the livestock industry who depend on buying grain for feed. Not one pinch of dependability is built into the grain futures trading game, they could be locked limit down befor the day is out. Very few lenders will allow a farmer customer to operate without Multi-peril crop insurance anymore due to ther extreme cost of planting a crop, they want assurance that the production loan can be repaid. Crop insurance is not a one for one return on any loss. It can be designed by the insured,(farmer) to be as much or as little as can be paid by an insurance company, but just as with any insurance, the greater the coverage the greater the preimum. Last I knew, (and I've kinda been out of the loop for a couple years now), a maximum of about 90% of your USDA-FSA established crop yeild for your farm could be insured. On most farms the FSDA established yield and the realistic yields that we have been used to in the past few years are quite a ways apart. A rough example for corn might be FSA yield 150-165, your past few actual yields 200-225, so you can only insure 90% of say the 165 level or 148 bu. per acre. Now it gets lots more complicated after this as you now can get a rervenue asurance package that insures a dollar return per acre, on, and on. Frank. ....

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-13          154587

To me the part on the flooding that hurts the county is both the South and I think Califorina need the rain. Well maybe not all of it but we could easy handle six inches if over even a 24 hour period. The time out of the property (house or business) with the clean up I know is not fun. We face sort of the same with hurricanes about being limited or without water and such and having to evacaute. kt ....

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
treeman

2008-06-15          154623

We are getting record flooding up in wisconsin also. Water in Lake Delton bypassed the dam and washed 4 houses, a road, and a huge amount of earth into the Wiconsin River. The lake is dry now.

A good 80% of our crops got planted this Spring which is much better than Iowa. My thoughts are with you all down there. ....

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-06-15          154628

I live southwest of Detroit about 20 miles. We have had a few tornadoes the past week north and nw of Detroit that knocked out power. These areas are where the rich and famous live (not that where I live is poor per se). The TV stations were interviewing people there whose power had been off for a few days to a week and then were hit again. The first thing I thought of "pitty poor you---stop your belly-aching. Whiners". Like Kenny mentioned about hurricanes, I have seen first hand what Katrina did. In some areas power was not restored for over a year to two years. Now those people have something to bitch about. And here's the kicker: When power was restored to Katrina-land, the power companies DOUBLED their rates! ....

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-06-15          154629

The water is going down on the Cedar thru Cedar Rapids, but in Iowa City it sounds like it could be a crest that lasts for severl days yet. The cleanup and disposal will be of such a magnitued that I've never witnessed, our county landfill would be overwhelmed to the piont of not even coming close to being capable. What do they do with all of it, do they burn it? There aren't enough local contractors to even come close to getting it done in a reasonable amount of time. We are very fortunate to have not been in the flood zone, so we are offering our laundry and showers to the family and friends who won't have service for quite a while. Frank. ....

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-06-15          154631

Frank,

The one thing that impressed me about the Army, is the amount of work that can get done in a very short amount of time, when every person is assigned to a particular task.

In the aftermath of this flood, there will be teams of people assigned to accomplish various tasks, and there will be an orderly procedure to follow. It is important that every citizen of the city follows these orders as carefully and as quickly as possible.

For example......."on Tuesday morning, starting at 5:00 AM, clean-up crews will be removing WOOD furniture ONLY, from the curbs of every street in 300 block of XYZ street. Residents are expected to have their WOOD furniture on the street for pickup no later than 5:00 AM. This will be your LAST CHANCE to have this furniture disposed of by the City."

On following days, work crews will come around to pick up wet carpeting, drywall, plastics, clothing, etc.

For the disabled and elderly, who are unable to haul out their own furniture items, volunteers will assemble to perform this task. It is important that every elderly person makes their name and address known to the City officials, so that volunteers can be sent in to do this work ahead of time.

Volunteer workers are required to have steel-toe boots, leather work gloves, hearing protection, eye protection, and possibly hard hats.

Every able-bodied citizen will be called upon to perform certain tasks. All tasks will be done in an orderly fashion....organized and scheduled by the City governments. Even the number of people assigned to each task will be controlled by the government. It is therefore important to stay on top of all news and information presented by the City. Your local radio stations, television stations, and even the police and fire departments will be called upon to broadcast this information. There may even be a person on each city block who is responsible for getting this information to every household in that area.

Thousands of your area residents have already left the area, to live with relatives or friends in other States. Keeping in contact with these people is going to be a very big headache. If you know where some of these people went, and how to get in touch with them, start making a list. Your city officials will want that information as soon as possible.

The City of Grand Forks, North Dakota, (flooded in 1997) has forwarded a very helpful book of hints and tips to the people and governments of your area.

Wishing you and your neighbors all the best.

Joel ....

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-16          154641

Frank, some of what they do depends on your State and Local Government. Here when we have had massive hurricane damage debris from such as trees is normally burnt. With Hurricane Hugo tree debris could be found piled on the side of streets for weeks after the storm. One fact that can be hard to realize and face when clean up begins is the landscape has changed and may never look as it did or at least for many years. This can catch you off guard as whole neighbors can be gone or have major changes in the make up. A sad fact is the influx of people this brings. Some are valid and honest but not all. Scams can be a major issue. Was surprised to learn the FBI and other law enforcement follows such as the amount of cash changing hands attracts the criminals. No doubt Jeff found this after his work following Katrina. Such a widespread disaster takes a terrible emotion strain on all, even those who may have suffered no direct damage. kt ....

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-06-16          154643

Frank,

Many people will be anxious to get their basements pumped out, so that they can begin replacing furnaces and water heaters. TELL THEM...."DO NOT PUMP"!

The hydraulic pressures, caused by the the soaked soil surrounding the homes, will cause the basements to collapse.....destroying entire homes.

Your local governments will have people working with them who know a great deal about your soil conditions and drainage situations. Listen to their advice on pumping out the basements. Local residents may not be able to pump out more than one foot of water per week, in some cases.

Joel

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-06-16          154644

Kt; Frustrations are already beginning to mount as people want to get in and see what remains to be salvaged aren't being allowed in till safety teams evaluate the dangers involved in all this. I can understand both sides, protecting the people is first and foremost, but as in any thing of this type power can go to people in charge's heads instead of common sense. Frank. ....

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-06-16          154645

Frank,

It's hard for people in this country to understand, but the reality of the situation is that your local residents are now living under martial law.

The National Guard will be armed in an effort to stop looting and riots. The governments are in charge of EVERYTHING from now on.

The people of your local area had better prepare themselves for being a part of a very large army, and also prepare themselves for taking and obeying orders.

Unless and until your local residents accept the fact that they are now living under martial law, progress will be minimal, and the situation will only get worse.

Joel ....

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-16          154646

Had never really thought of it as martial law but guess it really is. In our worst cases we do used armed National Guard as looting is always a possibility.

Frank very much understand but agree with Joel, it will be a slow hard battle or war they are facing. kt ....

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-06-16          154649

Joel, the reason I brought up the power going to their head thing was from a personal experience after the flood of 93 with an elderly relative's home that I was in charge of caring for his business. This was a very small town thing, prbanbly 15 homes afected, none washed away, just needed repaired. I don't remember what government agency they were from, state I think? But even when trying to act in a civil manner with them they were the most arrogant, power hungry SOB's that ever walked, within a half day or so with myself and other home owners they prety much knew it was time to "Get Out Of Dodge" I hope they have sorted them out by now. But as I said this was real small time compared to what has happened now. Frank. ....

Flooding beyond belief

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-17          154660

Frank, there is a severe lack of common sense today. Think we need to change it from "common sense" to uncommon sense. The ability to "think" or to make the effort has been lost. Partly and largely due to our policians who want us to just "trust them." Guess what was "horse sense" did not keep up with the horse power increase. Proves it is only in living breathing creatures and not man made creations. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login