Go Bottom Go Bottom

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-26          131400

Not really a chipper question but ya gotta pick a forum. I bought a used Speeco 25 ton log splitter which is supposed to have an Auto-Return valve. How is that supposed to work? The instructions really don't address it and the valve appears to be two position - extend ram, retract ram - but there doesn't seem to be any auto return function. After extending if I let go of the lever it just sits there.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
JasonR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-26          131402

Most log splitter vales 'auto-return' to the neutral position after fully retracting. i.e. you have to hold it in the extend position to extend the splitter. If you let go, it will stay there. If you move it to the return position, it should stay in that position until it fully returns - then it should pop out into the neutral position.

Knowing nothing about your make and model, I don't know if that's how yours is supposed to work, but you could see if it operates per the above description. ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-26          131405

Thanks, Jason. That's exactly how it works. ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-06-27          131408

The lever is alot like the float position on your loader. ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-27          131409

Ken, the auto-return feature is even handier if you learn how to fool it into doing what you want it to do, and not what it wants to do.

The valve has a small detent that holds it in the return position until there is pressure in that circuit, on a normal retract there is never any real pressure until the cylinder bottoms out at full retract.

However, most splitters have a 24"++ opening, but very few people want 24" long firewood.

If for instance you want to make 12" firewood, that means you have to either wait for the splitter to travel an extra 12" on the return till the auto return kicks off, then an 12" for the splitter face to reach the wood for the next split, or skip using the auto return feature altogether.

If however you modify the splitter to make some form of adjustable restraint for the return stroke, you can 'customize' the point at which the splitter stops retracting.

This can be as simple as a length of chain, or a mechanism of some form, like a lever sticking out the back of the splitter head which contacts an adjustable stoper on the I-beam, or even just a clamp on stopper which the slide mechanism hits on the return stroke.

Just be sure that whatever it is doesn't mar the surface of the I-beam that the slider runs on, it will cause excess wear if there is a rough spot on it.

Best of luck. ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-06-27          131411

Murf you are right that waiting for the splitter to fully return can really slow up your splitting operation.

I have a combo vertical / horizontal splitter. When I am splitting big logs I use it in vertical mode and I always use auto return. I keep my hand on the lever and take it out of auto mode when it has retracted just enough for me to get the next log in.

Some sort of adjustment would be even more useful when I use it in horizontal mode when I am making kindling size pieces. ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-27          131416

Ken,

Possibly the best solution to what Murf is telling you is from the ag world. Get the (oh there went the memory) well they are round spacers that open up and snap shut that go around the rod to stop the retraction as Murf was telling you. They often come in sets of different thickness so you can adjust the exact amount needed. They do come in different ID for the cyl rod diameter. They are often used on hyd cyls that adjust the depth of an implement such as a disc. Should find them at any store that has the cylinders. ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-27          131417

Thanks for the idea Murf. Did some splitting last night and it did seem sort of slow. A 12 second cycle time is a long time when you're just waiting. I've got a few other things to do to fix it up. The engine has a melted air cleaner cover and the muffler is on it's last legs. The tow coupler and tow jack are pretty beat and the suction line is slightly kinked. The wheel bearings should probably be packed and the whole thing could use a pressure wash and a coat of paint. But it starts on the first pull and runs like a top, which is surprising for a Honda engine :) ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-27          131419

Kenneth, those split sleeve thingies sound ideal. I'll look for them next time I'm at the dealer. Thanks for the info. ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-06-27          131420

"The engine has a melted air cleaner cover and the muffler is on it's last legs."

I have a feeling I'm preaching to the choir but make sure you wear ear plugs while using this, even when you get a new muffler.

I think you'll have better luck with this Honda engine. :)
Dave ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-27          131421

I've had good luck with just chain.

I just weld a tab with a hole in it to the back of the I-beam, down near the foot, and another one on the back of the splitter head. Then put the pin of a chain grab hook through the hole in the tab. A short piece of chain between the two forms the adjustment. Merely opening the splitter (retracting cylinder) holds the chain for storage.

No tools involved!!!

Sometimes cheaper cylinder rods will mark with those clamp on collars, and adjustments are a PITA, with chain all you have to do is move it a few links one way or the other, or drop it right off for a big bruiser.

Best of luck. ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-27          131422

I like the chain idea but without a welder it's harder to implement. I'm sure something could be rigged up without welding. ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-27          131425

Yes, without a welder all you need to do is drill a hole and put a cast eye ring (called a "die lifting eye")through the hole, then put the hook on that.

Generally there is a plate welded across the bottom end of the I-beam to spread the load. If so drill through that, close to the web. If the plate looks light consider a backing plate t spread the pull on the eye bolt.

Just be sure to try and get the direction of pull as linear to the shank of the eye bolt as possible to avoid bending it.

On the splitter head, there is usually a few bolts which hold the sandwich together which rides the I-beam, just replace one of the bolts on the head with a longer bolt (using a grade 5 or better bolt) and slip a small piece of bent plate on the bolt, one with a hole at each end, one hole is for the mounting bolt, the other for the hook.

Best of luck. ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-27          131433

I would not think the cylinder stops I am talking about would be hard to use as they are made to install by hand. Now lossing them may be another issue. The chain offers advantages as it would there and probably not be any storage issue.

I could not find them at TSC web site but did at Agri Supply and posted a link for one package size. There are different rod sizes and thickness options.

Ken, it was funny to read your desriptions of the splitter. Ear plugs are always good when around any high noise or else get using to saying, huhh? ....

Link:   

Click Here

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-06-27          131447

You can purchase shaft collars at mcmaster.com Do a search for 'shaft collar' - you'd want a two piece collar, so you don't have to take the end of the rod off. Couple of ideas for adjustment:

buy a cheap allen wrench and attach it to the log splitter.

If you're rather creative, you could also modify/replace one (or both) of the holding screws with some sort of T-handle adjuster, which would eliminate the need for a tool and make the adjustment rather quick and easy. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-27          131449

Thanks for the info guys. The shaft collars may be worth a try. The foot of the splitter is 1 1/4" steel and I'd rather not drill it. There's other things to fix on it first. I'll have to see speed-wise how the splitting goes. I'm learning to pace myself :) Regarding noise, I've already lost 30% of my mid-range hearing and don't want to lose more so I always wear both ear plugs and muffs when around noisy equipment. ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-27          131451

I know about the slip on style you mention Kenneth, the problem with them though is they are just like big washers.

Each one is about 1" thick, so if you want to stop the splitter stroke say 10" from full retract, you would need 10 spacers to do it.

Ken, I agree the idea of drilling through 1.25" thick steel is not appealing. Is there a neighbour or someone nearby with a welder?

Best of luck.

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-27          131454

The only person I know with a welder is 1000 miles away :) The local welding shop would do it but the hitch needs fixing first. It's sort of a pain to load it into the bed of the truck - we did that on the trip down from Seattle since 45 mph on I-5 didn't sound like a fun trip. I've been meaning to take a welding class at the community college for quite awhile. Maybe now I've got a good reason. ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-27          131456

Murf,

I agree with 10 inches would be about 6 to 10 stops not much fun but might be easier in his case.

Ken,

There is always the options Dennis pointed out.

Not seeing your splitter, not sure if the design would allow this but if it does you might be able to use a heavy duty C type clamp as a moveable stop on the beam. I do mean the very strong short clamp you use a wrench on not the sliding handle type.

A quick question, there is a lot of suggestions here to help stop the full travel if you don't need it. First question is do you need the full travel and if not how much do you need? Also would you need the amount of travel to vary greatly from piece to piece?

Another option, an illegal alien to assist you. Get a crew of two and you will be shelling split wood. No shooting please. ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-27          131469

After doing some measuring it looks like shortening the splitter stroke isn't even worth doing. The cylinder has a 24" stroke and the rounds we cut range from 16-21" (we just eyeball them and don't measure). I'll have to use it for awhile to get a feel for what makes sense. ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-06-28          131481

"After doing some measuring it looks like shortening the splitter stroke isn't even worth doing."

I've found that after you get a rhythm going you will have the next piece sitting on the wedge and ready to drop in by the time it moves back far enough. Then just tap the handle to stop the return. There is very little if any wasted time. That of course depends on the cycle rate of the splitter.
Dave ....

Speeco Log Splitter Q

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-06-28          131487

I do it like Dave described. Works very well.

Also learned to hit the lever with my elbow to retract the cylinder while both hands are full. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login