Go Bottom Go Bottom

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-10-05          174343

I know I spelled it wrong, but can someone give me the formula to get cubic inches from leiters.
I've surfed the US Gov weights and measures pages, either I don't know where to look or it isn't there.
I'm and old dude who still can vision how big a 283 or a 454 Chevy is or how much ground section of land is. I go pickup shopping, the sales kid tells me it has a so and so size leiter engine. I ask him how many cubic inches is that, he gives me a dumb shrug. Someone here has to know. pleas help. The guy who came up with all that metric crap should have been shot.
Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-10-05          174344

Frank:

1 liter = 61.023 cubic inches

The Germans and English spell it "litre". The German Oktoberfest just finished with a 200 year celebration. They drank 7 million liters of bier. That's allot of cubic inches and gallons. The fest grounds has allot of toilets for all that! ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-10-05          174345

Canada (where we are so well centred that we spell it litre too) switched to metric 20 years back so we could trade more easily with the US that someone assured us would be switching too. Bigtime PITA!

I don't know what millibars or pascals are and I don't want to! I'm probably shrinking with age but I can't tell because my licences show my height in cm. But to this day, if the police want help in finding somebody they describe them as 5' 8" and 150 lbs. Go figure. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-10-05          174346

Thanks guys;
Yoper, I'm a 100% purebred Kraut, not many of us left over here anymore but 61,023 cubic inches of beir or beer either one is about my fill at one sitting anymore. I bought my annual jug of Cutty Sark the other day it is now measured in millaleiters or something like that, but still enough for my yearly dose.
OK now Auer, so you Canadians are to blame for all this confusion? Confused or not you still have better beir or beer than we southerners have.
Frank. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-10-05          174347

Yooper----speaking of misspelling... man, yer makin' us Michiganders look bad: it's "a lot" not "allot". Where'd you go to sc'oo----Saginaw/Bay City?

I'm jis' razzin' ya. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-10-05          174348

OK, here I go again, I can't even spell bier correctly.
I had my checkup at Mayo a while back they measured me in Kilos and Cnemeters, so I still don't know how tall or how fat I really am. probably don't matter much anyway.
Frank. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2010-10-05          174353

HW,

Your spelling is right if you are in Germany! But I suppose you already know that .... ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-10-05          174355

Wasn't me! But who IS to blame is complicated, if you're interested.

Canadians had an influential federal leader (Prime Minister) named Pierre Trudeau, in turn whose influence was from Quebec, which in turn was influenced by their ancestors in France, which was influenced by Napoleon, who struck a committee to devise a standard new system of metrics. So the blame starts with someone on some committee who we've never heard of, and ends with Trudeau who imposed it on us sheep.

Our newspapers follow the rules. So if a plane's engine goes out at 10,000 feet (the worldwide measurement standard), they report it happened at 9,486 [or whatever] metres. Crazy. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-10-05          174356

Dennis;
So what was it that I spelled correctly?
Beir, Bier, Beer, It does taste better if it's from up north, no matter how you spell it. Our watered down stuff is pretty limp. Maybe just 30.5115 cu. in. would be enough up there for me.
Auer;
Now if you happen to meet Mr. Pierre Trudeau in a bar having a 61.023 cu. in. pitcher of the good stuff or maybe at a Wally World you might pass along my feelings about his wacky yardstick.
I can already hear Murf swooping in on this one telling me how much more efficent, simpler, faster, easier his ruler is to use than mine, etc., etc., etc. Let's hear it.
Frank. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
yooperpete

2010-10-05          174357

I'm also 100% Kraut and did spell "Bier" the correct way while in Germany. If you're interested in reading a little clip of info about the 200th anniversary of the Oktoberfest (October has a "k" in German also) go to the website "spiegel.de" Spiegel (mirror) is a large news outlet in Germany. ".de" is used for German websites instead of .com.

If you click onto that site, they have an "English" version where you can read about the "fest". I'd dare say that is about the biggest party in the world. I attended it in 1969. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
DRankin

2010-10-05          174358

I wouldn't trust anybody named Pee Air. Besides, that's gotta hurt........ ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
Murf

2010-10-05          174359

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRankin | view 174358
I wouldn't trust anybody named Pee Air. Besides, that's gotta hurt........

I'd be willing to bet it doesn't hurt as bad as getting Obama'd! ;)

It's not actually called 'metric' either, it's officially the "International System of Units" and since the overseeing committee is in France, it's called "SI" (Système International).

Like it or not the US has used it for a long time, 25+ years ago the military was already marking distances in "klicks" (kilometers) and it's become very widely used now because of the NATO affiliation.

Once you start using it it's remarkably easy to work in. It's all based on 10's, 100's and 1000's so doing math in your head is dead simple.

As an example, there's 100 millimeters in a centimeter, 100 centimeters in a meter, a 100 meters in a kilometer. To convert from one to another you just shift the decimal left or right. Period. So to calculate a 1% grade on a hill 346.73 meters long, you just move the decimal 3 places to the left, or 3.4673 meters.

Same goes with temperature, 0° is where water freezes, and 100° is where it boils. The human body's normal temperature is 37°.

Best of luck. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-10-05          174360

Yup, I knew Ole Murf would get sturred up about this one.
When I couldn't find anything on the US weights and measures thing I thought about calling Obama for his opinion, but I think he has enough other concerns right now with a bunch his midterm political ships leaking pretty bad.
Tell me how far it is in miles, feet, inches, how heavy it is in pounds, how hot 95 in the shade is and I'll do just fine.
Hoist one of them 61.023 cu. in. pitchers of the good stuff for me, OK.
Frank. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
Murf

2010-10-05          174362

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 174360
Yup, I knew Ole Murf would get sturred up about this one.

Actually it stirred me up more than you can imagine, but likely not for the reasons you thought.

First, you have to remember, that not only am I serviceman, but a flying one, and an engineer (albeit that came later courtesy of Uncle Sam). Further, that it's widely accepted that the most common error is in doing the conversion between Imperial and meter measurements.

Now, as I mentioned, the grunts counted everything off in 'klicks' but pilots use feet, miles or knots (a nautical mile, which is 1.15 regular miles).

So now you have the guys on the ground saying where they are, or where the target is in meters or 'kliks' (1,000 meters) and the aircraft, dispatchers, and weapons are all reading feet & miles or knots.

And they wonder how friendly fire accidents happen?

BTW, aviation in Canada is still split between Imperial and meteric. Our elevations and barometric pressures are in Imperial, or weights are in pounds, the fuel is in liters and the temperature is in metric.

Go figure.

Best of luck.

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-10-05          174365

Murf;
Wowzer, I guess you guys do have a weights and measures mess. Maybe you better call Ole Pieree up and have him get you back to feet and inches, pounds and gallons, get life simple again.
Frank. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
Murf

2010-10-06          174392

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 174365
Murf; Wowzer, I guess you guys do have a weights and measures mess. Maybe you better call Ole Pieree up and have him get you back to feet and inches, pounds and gallons, get life simple again.Frank.

Actually Frank, it's the other way around ole buddy.

There's really only 3 country's in the world still using the Imperial system of measure, Burma (Myanmar), Liberia, and the United States.

Even the United Kingdom who invented the Imperial measurement system has officially adopted the International System of Units albeit not with the intention of replacing customary measures entirely.

We only still use the old system since things like aviation straddle the border so much, it would have everyone all screwed up if we dropped the Imperial measures completely.

I sure wish you could give those fellers in Washington a boot and smarten them up though, the US already works in both systems, otherwise they couldn't sell anything beyond their own borders.

Best of luck. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-10-06          174395

I can remember when the weather people use to give the temps both ways. For me and realize this would not have worked but had just taken the names I knew such as inch and it be 1/10 of a foot and let it be 1/10 of a yard and that be 1/10 of a mile would have work for my learning the terms. Of course that would be mass confusing.

I never have understood why there is different specs for and forgive me if I get off on these but short ton and long ton? Why not heavy ton and light ton but why not have a ton a ton? Guess that is back to politics, they all tell the truth, just how much of the truth is in their truth?

Hey on my Hero Obama (yep my hero) did you see the Seal of the President drop from podium while he was speaking? Even signs are running from him. Now as I said he is my hero: in my life time I can not think of one other president or other American who has done more to get the real people involved in politics and maybe we will vote the bums out in such as wave as never would have been possible with out his inspiration. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
Murf

2010-10-06          174398

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 174395
I never have understood why there is different specs for and forgive me if I get off on these but short ton and long ton? Why not heavy ton and light ton but why not have a ton a ton?

That's another simple one Kenny. It's a shipping term.

A "long ton" (2,240 pounds) was what 35 cubic feet of salt (ocean) water weighs and was used to describe the displacement of a ship. It was a standardized measurement that was used in the Washington Naval Treaty (signed after World War 1) which limited the size of warships. They needed a standard unit of measure and since the treaty was between nations that used both metric and Imperial measure, they picked something that worked for both.

Now not to confuse things too much, but there's a third one also.

A "tonne" is the SI version of a 'ton', it is 1,000 kilograms (see, easy math again) which is 2,200 pounds, almost the same as a 'long ton'.

Useless fact lesson over. ;)

Best of luck. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
DRankin

2010-10-06          174401

Not quite Murf.......

You skipped right over carats,cubits and kilotons......... ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-10-06          174403

OK now cubic and cubit seem to have a similar ring so maybe Noah was way ahead of all of us and we should have stuck with his tape measure. His problem with the long ton displacement measurement of his ark would have been his lack of salt water being it was raining all the time.
Now back to the original reason for my first post about engine displacemnt. I did a bit more tire kikkin at the Chevy dealership today, same greenhorn kid salesman. He was sorta puzzled about the fact that a 5.3 engine has 323 cubic inches and a 6.0 has 366.13 cu. in. of displacement, kinda why does it matter type reaction.
Now while we're on the subject of mostly usless information the major decorative feature of most cars and pickups today is big shiney spoked wheels. The Mrs. gets a bit embarrased when I stop by a car or pickup and count the number of spokes in it's big chrome wheel. Every number from three on up, now a seven spoke wheel seems kind of popular, someome please divide 360 by 7 for me and have it come out even. Two of them spokes have to be a bit closer or farther apart than the other five right? How much engeneering time and how many computer hours were charged to the usless seven spoke wheel that John Q Customere pays for?
Frank. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
DRankin

2010-10-07          174414

I agree Frank.

It is a common sight around here to see a $700 used car puffing down the highway with $2500 worth of wheels low-fat tires on it.

Oh...and don't forget the $800 exhaust system that makes the car sound like a fat man farting through a trombone.

If you follow them long enough they will no doubt lead you to the grocery store where they walk in with a fist full of food stamps.

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
yooperpete

2010-10-07          174415

Frank:
The 7 spoorks are equally spaced at 51.42857143 degrees or 51 degrees 25 minutes 42.86 seconds. Mathematics also uses some other units of angular measurement like Radians.

Hope my mis-spelling humor doesn't offend anyone here! ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
Murf

2010-10-07          174423

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperpete | view 174415
Mathematics also uses some other units of angular measurement like Radians.Hope my mis-spelling humor doesn't offend anyone here!

No Pete, a Radian isn't quite a measure of angle, it's a measurement of angle expressed as the length of the arc divided by the radius of the arc. You can have a pair of 1.0 radian arcs that have different interior arc angles, but as long as the ratio between radius and arc is the same, they are "equal".

Clear as mud now huh? LOL

Best of luck. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-10-07          174427

I think using centmeters violates the Divine Plan. After all, if God wanted us to switch to SI, He would not have made the distance from King Henry's nose to thumb precisely one yard! ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-10-07          174431

DRankin
Don't forget the Boom, BoBoom radio or sound system with the 300 pound speakers in he trunk.
I can hear the Boom BoBoom thru the walls of the house with our windows closed. Better advise our kids to buy hearing aid stock.
Frank. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
DRankin

2010-10-07          174433

Now I'm really confused.... I thought radians were some sort of radioactive particles that live in the basement.

Frank..... do you suppose those heavy speakers are the reason the cars ride so low to the ground? ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-10-07          174434

No!!!!
You're both wrong, Radians are from the planet Radian. They brought us them nasty things in the basemant when they came.
Frank. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-10-08          174447

Don't you guys know anything? The Radians were a cult who opposed air-cooled engines. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
Murf

2010-10-08          174451

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRankin | view 174433
Frank..... do you suppose those heavy speakers are the reason the cars ride so low to the ground?

I thought that was so they could cruise with their buddies and still be able to pick vegetables?

And the little chain steering wheel is so they can drive in handcuffs.

;)

Best of luck. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
Lwayne

2010-10-11          174525

That's why I live in North Dakota. -40 degrees Fahrenheit, -40 degrees Celsius . . . no difference! You don't need someone educated beyond his IQ to tell you when you're cold. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-10-12          174537

Lwayne;
North Dakota is one of my favorite states. I haven't been to every state and likely won't. The far northwest and far southwest states I haven't seen so I can't judge them but have been to most of the rest of our country.

The deep south is too hot and too many bugs and snakes, The east is just too many people packed into too little space, I like wide open spaces and air that ain't been breathed before.

So with all that Kansas on north to the Canadian border, Iowa of course, Wisconsin and Minnesota are my favorite states.

People often ask why we don't go down south for the winter, my reply is, why would I drive that far to sit around and play bingo with a bunch of old people, I can do that right here in Iowa.

Frank. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-11-11          175076

Well Frank you certainly have not been to my part of the South. Doubt you would find many "OLD" folks here sitting around playing bingo.
They play golf, go shopping, go out to eat, take tours, they go. That is those who retired here or who winter here. Now those who lived here and were smart enough to retire here..bless their hearts, they take care of Grandchildren! Well not all for they jump on the tour buses and other things a lot also. There is also fishing both fresh water and deep sea and surf. Almost forgot one the most popular events on their calendar...seems they love doctors. A dirt boy like you could enjoy our winters, one of the best garden times we have. There are few bugs or weeds then. If you want to mow grass that can be done all 12 months with a planting of rye grass.

One thing you are right about, our summers are warm but a couple of years and you realize they are about right and our winters are cool. Snakes not that much of issue here, bugs...we have em! With the large amount of building we have had over about last 10 years deer could be one of our biggest animal issues. Funny as the building has gone on it is being realized our wildlife population is more diverse and heavy than many realized. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-11-12          175089

KT;
Have I been to your state? Yes, but briefly. We had driven to Florida once, didn't care for that too much, too hot, snakes, alagators and all that. And yes I'm aware that Florida has all the high rise hotels with every thing known to man that man don't need anyway where the snakes and alagators cant get in but high rise livin just aint for me. This was when Jimmy Carter was President and brother Billy had the gas station in Plains, Ga. We stopped by Billy's, got a couple six packs of Billy Beer then came over your way on our way home. We didn't go to the coast where the old folks probably cluster tho just thru the more rural country. Too long ago to remember much about it now. Our youngest son and his Mrs. go to Kill Devil hills in one of the Carolinas every year for a two week vacation, they must like it they keep going back.
Frank. ....

Liters to cubic inches

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-11-12          175097

Frank you are very right about the "old" folks liking the coast. Kill Devil Hills is much nearer to Virginia than SC. It is very near Kitty Hawk. That area is loved by hurricanes. Suppose to be great fishing there. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login