Go Bottom Go Bottom

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-21          119659

Has anyone heard of the American log splitter, 3pt hitch model? I have have seen an ad where someone wants $450 for one. I see a similar ad for an American log splitter where they are asking $1000 for an almost new one, vertical setup, with PTO pump. I can't find the website for American log splitters - everytime I try I get the dr log splitter web site. I also keep getting "All American" log splitters that are smaller and manually or air driven.

Are PTO log splitters preferable over log splitters that use the tractor hydraulic fluid? I would think so. Any opinions? Is there something I should be aware of? Any one know the web site where I can see these log splitters?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-21          119668

The separate PTO pump adds to the cost compared to one that hooks to the power beyond port.... assuming you have a power beyond port in the first place.

It is possible that the American name is a re-badge from another manufacturer. ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
Peters

2005-11-21          119669

I just sold mine the other day. A lot of older tractors don't have the rate of hydraulic fluid tranfer rate required for the large piston on the log splitter. You need a PTO pump to keep the dirt out and pump fast enough. The pumps are nearly the price of the whole unit. ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-11-22          119676

Would a 16 ton log splitter be enough to split 1-1/2 to 2 foot diameter logs that have already been cut to fireplace length? I am considering the Northerntools horizontal splitter for $480. I don't do this every day - just to keep my fireplace going. I might split a cord or two a year. The Tractor Supply splitter (20 ton horizontal/ vertical for $665) is more than I want to spend. Maybe the American w/PTO pump is more iron than I need.

Yes I have a power beyond port for my backhoe. Is this all I need for the splitter? How much do the extra hydraulic hoses that no manufacturer includes cost? (Ballpark). ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
glocknut30

2005-11-22          119677

I considered a 3PT splitter but then remembered that I need the tractor to pull the trailer that held the split wood! Decision made.

I picked up a Tractor Supply 27-ton unit last year but wanted the 32-ton unit on sale (it was still just too much $$$). When compared to my B-I-L's 16- ton umit, he can split everything my 27-ton will split. If you slab off the outsides of say a "Y" in the trunk and live with what's left, either work equally well.

The 16-ton unit will split firewood just fine. Anything it doesn't split is yard art anyway :-)

Have Fun! ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-11-22          119678

With my "puny" hydraulic flow on my Green 4115, I can split a cord of wood in about 75 minutes using my power beyond port and working alone. And yes, it is the only port you need. I would be surprised if you could spend more than $30 getting hoses made.

Remember, it is the pressure that splits the wood and the flow that determines the cycle times or ram speed.

As far as the trailer vs. splitter thing, I solved that by putting the splitter on a heavy wood table. It takes about 30 seconds to hook the tractor up to the splitter.

The three point arms and trailer hitch fit under the table when parked and it provides and added bonus of raising the work surface above waist level so as not to strain the old back too much. ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
Murf

2005-11-22          119679

You can split most wood with nearly anything, I recall calculating an axe's impact in school, a few years ago, and it was surprisingly low.

It used to be common to see splitters cobbled together from scrounged bits of this and that, I've seen lots of them made from a 3.5hp lawn mower motor belt driving a power steering pump off an old 5 ton truck. As long as the cylinder and reservoir are big enough, it will do the job.

The only thing that changes is really the speed and maximum power. If you only need 5 tons to split wood, what difference does it make if you are capable of producing 2 times that, or 20 times that much force?

I run a 3pth vertical splitter mounted on my FEL and fed via a pair of fairly small diameter extension lines run from one of my remotes. I rarely have to have the engine running much above a very fast idle, about 1500 rpm.

Best of luck. ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-11-22          119680

Thanks for the quick and informative responses everyone! I need to keep the cost down on this one cause the real boss thinks I already have enough attachments :) ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
Peters

2005-11-22          119697

I sold my splitter as it never gets used. I will generally cut and split a trailer load of hard wood with an axe or ads in an hour. I never pick up the wood until it is split and placed in the trailer. I like to leave the mess in the woods as much as possible. ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
Murf

2005-11-22          119699

Peters, that is precisely why I put my splitter on the FEL.

I can put a box trailer behind the CUT, drive to where the tree lays, and park the trailer. Then cut the logs into blocks and throw the split stuff straight into the trailer.

With the splitter on the 3pth putting a trailer behind the CUT was a PITA.

Besides, the splitter offers way better access out on the FEL, and an almost infinite range of height and angle options.

Best of luck. ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-11-22          119700

I think the need for a 3pt. PTO splitter justifies the purchase of another tractor to pull the trailer. Can you get that past the boss? ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
Peters

2005-11-22          119701

I am trying to get back to one and use the antique as an antique. ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
Murf

2005-11-22          119702

Yooper, have you seen my picture # 6 ?????

ROFLMAO

Best of luck. ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-11-22          119703

Yes Murf, that is the way it should be! That way you have control of the project. ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
Murf

2005-11-22          119704

One for the splitter.

One for the saw.

One for the gas.

One for the oil.

One for the trailer.

One for backup ......... did I miss anything?

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-11-22          119707

One for the other boss! ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-12-11          137835

I did finally purchase an old American log splitter this weekend (although not the one I considered at the beginning of this post). Here are the things I am thinking about. I have an open center system on my JD, correct? Therefore the valve on this splitter should be open center. I assume it is but am not sure how to confirm this. The lever does return to center whether you retract or expand the piston. I think the hoses need a larger 1/2 connector for my "power beyond". The owner could not connect the hoses to his backhoe ports on his NH for a demo. (It was previously hooked up to a Kubota.) He had to tap into his loader ports. Finally the hose closest to the lever on the valve should be the input, correct? Anything I have wrong? Any other things I should look for? ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-12-12          137917

Ha! After inspection in the dark last night, one side of the valve says "in" and the other says "out". That solves that problem. Looks like I have to purchase adapters to go from 3/8" ID hose to 1/2" couplers. DRankin, do I have to purchase the couplers from JD that exactly match those used on the backhoe? One male and one female. Or did you purchase them from another source?

Also - can I tap into the loader circuit? Would the power be the same but just a slower piston movement? ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-12-12          137928

I got my couplers from a hydraulics store in town. Deere uses a major companies fittings..... the name escapes me at the moment and it is dark and wet outside.....

Anyway, any well stocked hydraulics outfit will have them.

If you have the PB set up for a hoe, it will certainly be the best place to tap into the pressure and the flow you will need to run the splitter as efficiently as possible. ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-12-12          137929

The hydraulic fittings on my 46BH are Parker fittings. Not all QD fittings are the same. I didn't have time to go to the dealer, so I bought by last set at Mcmaster.com - part #'s:

95825K87 $6.94 (male)
95825K82 $15.28 (female)

- Jason ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-12-13          137930

Thanks Dr and JasonR. Great information! ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-12-13          137932

Jason is right, those are Parker fittings. When I hooked up the dump trailer to my 4310 I found the fittings and couplers at the local True Value hardware store. That place has saved me more times than I can count. ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-12-15          138015

Turns out the 47 backhoe has Parker return to sump on one side, Pioneer on the power side. The JD part number is different for the power side than the 46 hoe. The 48 hoe has even different numbers.

I disconnected the hoe and tried to attach the hoe side fittings to each other. They didn't mate up. I removed the fittings, called a hydraulic place that says they can fix me up, and I am on my way there in a few minutes. ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-12-15          138018

I am a big believer in keeping unused hydraulic lines hooked together whenever possible. Matching fittings will be a good thing. ....

American Log Splitter

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-12-16          138081

I got the log splitter hooked up this afternoon and tried her out. Works like a dream even though it has seen many years of use. Thanks for all your help guys!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login