Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mattresses

View my Photos
dkheckmanl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-20          148508

We are looking for a new mattress. I am having some lower back problems and the Seely we have now is not cutting it. I am on the heavy side 6' 240 and there is a hole where I lay even though the mattress is only about 4 years old and was not a cheap one. Warranty will not cover the problem since there is no measurable depression when I get off the bed. My wife is 5' 4" and weighs 130 so we are looking for a mattress that suits us both. We are leaning towards a Spring Air coils with a latex cover($1500 to 1900). Also going today to look at the Intelli bed and Select Comfort.

Anyone have comments on either of these mattresses or any other one that has helped lower back problems. Some of these are lots of money but I will pay a lot for a good nights sleep.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Mattresses

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-20          148509

We bought a clone of the Tempurpedic. Supposedly it's the same type of foam but it doesn't seem as dense as the genuine article (we have a Tempurpedic pillow to compare with). However, it was a lot less money and since it had a money back guarantee we gave it a try and kept it. It's a lot better for my back than the high dollar Sealy it replaced but it didn't work miracles. We were visiting some friends and they had a select comfort in their guest bed. I liked it quite a bit but my wife hated it. And so it goes. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-20          148510

This may sound stupid but have you ever flipped the mattress? It's like rotating tires. Turn it around 180 degrees and flip it over 180 degrees. It works wonders. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-11-20          148512

Have you seen the new mattresses that "never need flipping"? I was told they're built exactly the same as the old two-sided matresses, but they just cheaped out and didn't finish one side. And good old marketing charges extra since it's a feature. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-11-20          148513

There's a big difference in "never needs flipping" and "cannot be flipped". I have a $900 "cannot be flipped". It's a "pillow top"--there is no pillow bottom--it's rough fabric.
And if you think about it, flipping over a mattress really does nothing--the springs are still springs, but like was mentioned rotating 180 degrees does work for a time until the springs take a permanent set as they do wear out so to speak.
The air-adjustable beds (Select Comfort??) now that's another story; years ago I was solicited to buy one. They offered a "90-day money back warranty". I asked what the return rate was. They said about 5 percent. Then I asked how many they sell a year. 2,000 was average. So that meant that at least 100 were being sent back per year. So I asked them what happens to the 100 or so. They said the employees buy them. (Yeah, right) They have 250 employees. SO I told them that potentially ONE mattress could be many years old and had many, many owners if it changed owners every 90 days. They didn't know what to say. They told me they remove the top cover and sew on a new one. Sure. I'll bet someone looks at it and says "ship it". It would be like sleeping on a dirty, flea-ridden motel mattress wouldn't it? You have no idea who or how many had it before you. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-11-20          148517

We have a pillow top on both top and bottom. It is so thick that we have to buy very hard to find and expensive sheets. The dual pillow tops also add uneeded height and more weight

That said the Stearns and Foster pillow lets me get up in the AM ache free whereas with no pillow top I was pretty stiff. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2007-11-20          148518

The Seely we have is a nonflipable, pillowtop on one side only. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-11-21          148552

Over the years I've purchased a number of expensive mattresses and most weren't worth a crap. The one with the bowling ball commercial was the worst and about $1,400.00 invested. I ended up with some inexpensive Denver Mattresses and love them. You will want to get a firm mattress with pillow top for support. I'm 6ft and about 256 lbs.

I have several homes plus my daughters place and have about a half dozen of them all the same. I always get queen size with split box. The split box is good for hauliing stuff upstairs.

They need to be rotated 180 degrees every once in a while and then flipped. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-11-21          148554

yooper, I have a king size "Doctor's Choice" (whatever that means...) from Denver Mattress and both my wife and I love it. Seems like it was right at a grand, but it is one of my best purchases.

We had a Sealy Posturepedic before, and the difference is unbelievable.

We opted for the non-pillow top because my wife likes to flip the mattress every couple of months. Flipping and rotating a mattress used to make a difference, and it might not be necessary anymore, but then again it may be one of those "we've always done it that way" things in our lives that we're reluctant to change. That said, I do think it makes a difference. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-11-21          148556

Yooper I walked by a mattress store and the King size mattresses were all split box and mattress. Is that how they are selling them now or was that because they were just too lazy to lug the one piece kings into the show room? ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-11-21          148558

Dennis, my king mattress is one-piece, but the foundation is two-piece. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-11-21          148559

Yes mine is that way also, we made a king bed out of two twins in the guest bedroom, but not sure if two twins equals a king as it seems shorter to me with less foot room. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-21          148560

King size foundation or box springs which ever you have is two pieces as you could not get a fix single piece into most houses, much less the bed room.

Something not mentioned is are you using a "FOUNDATION" or "BOX SPRINGS" with that matteress. Foundation cost some less as all it is a box but the box springs really adds life to the matteress. Many company will not warrant the matteress if not used with the matching box spring or foundation. They also will tell you the difference in life (in years) between the box springs and the foundation. It is much less with foundation as the matteress does all the work and takes all the wear. kt

Mattresses

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-11-21          148562

With a queen size you can get 1 piece foundation/box spring. They charge you a few bucks more for the split box.

I have lower end models (not as fancy with the cover material) that were more like about $400.00 each set. They gave me a deal when purchasing several at a time. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-11-21          148565

Dennis, the king fits me very well, but then again I'm 5'10". My wife said that the regular king bed is just wider than the queen. To get additional length, one would have to buy a "California king". Not sure how much longer they are.

As it is, getting a regular king mattress into the bedroom could be tricky if the house has narrow doors and hallways. Thankfully, our house has all interior doors and hallways wider than normal because the family that built it had a family member in a wheelchair. If I ever move and build a new home, I'll replicate that feature because the extra expense would be well worth it.

Mattresses

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-11-21          148572

If you get a California King you will pay through the nose for sheets and bedding. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
kdsrgone

2007-11-23          148666

Over a year ago my mwife and I switched from a common innerspring mattress to a Select Comfort bed. She always like mattresses on the softer side while I preferred firm. The Select Comfort seemed like a plausible solution. When we went to look, we found there are several (4 or 5) models to choose from, some with pillow tops, some without, different levels and type of foam in the pillow top, etc. When we tried them out we found we only liked the pillow top versions but not the top level (9000 I believe) as the pt was too thick and produced too soft of a feeling for my preference. We settled on the 7000 model and today you'd have a hard time prying it away from my wife and I. She sets her side between 35-45 and mine is between 65-80. We just returned from a two week trip and after sleeping in hotels for 14 nights could'nt wait to get back to the Sleep Number bed. All that being said, mattresses are a very individual item and the best is to try as many brands, styles, types as possible and choose the one that makes you feel and sleep the best. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-11-23          148667

My wife and I were at Disney World in Orlando years ago for a business conference and stayed at the Dolphin hotel. The mattress in that room was far and away the most comfortable mattress either of us had ever slept in. We were amazed and wanted to know who made it but there was no label on the mattress. I called a few people in the hotel and was able to track down the guy who buys them. He said they were mixed brand mattresses bought through a wholesaler and they were sent out periodically to be rebuilt. Go figure. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-11-24          148676

KW, I'd be curious to find out what the "rebuilding" process entails--like "critter" removal/sanitizing (mites, and other bugs).

Years ago there was an expose' on TV (reporter John Stossel) in New York City about discount mattress dealers selling "new" mattresses that were infested with bugs.

Turns out these mattresses were the same ones picked up by stores who offered to "dispose" of your old mattress if you bought a new one. Instead they would take them to a back-alley shop where (maybe) the outer skin was removed and new one installed, then sold as new. That didn't always happen though either as the expose' found---use your imagination as to what they found. Ewwwwww! ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-24          148677

The Mrs. just bought three new mattress/box spring thingys for the getaway house. I heard her and the lady at the furniture store going on about "Pillow Tops" what ever they are while I kind of snoozed in a nearby recliner. I don't know what brand, what size, even what color, but ours sure is comfy. The check I wrote would have bought a pretty nice major power tool tho. Maybe that's why I was cranky. Frank. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
drcjv.

2007-12-05          148988

Guys, I have been treating low back pain for over twenty years and the question I get asked more than any other is "what mattress should I buy". Unfortunatly there is no one good answer. There are some good guidelines but they are not fool proof. First you want a good firm foundation this is so your spine has minimal deformaty while you sleep. It seems the larger the patient the less they like a firm surface due to more weight being supported on the pressure points. So next there should be some type of cushion on the top of the mattress like a pillow top or mattress pad to help reduce pressue points. I have seen about a 50/50 result in people using the select comfort adjustable beds and no brand seems to stand out as the best. I would say I have heard only good things about the tempurpedic beds. Also bed should be rotated to minamize any dip on one side. A majority of the problems people have with sleeping and back pain are not due to their mattress but more from the position they sleep in. You should never sleep on your stomach, back is next worse, side with legs bent and pillow b/w knees is best. I could write a book on this but must get to my 9yr olds Xmas concert. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-12-05          148992

Hey Doc, long time no-see. Welcome back! ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-12-05          149000

Doc, my wife says the same dip has been on the other side of the bed for ten years now. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
drcjv.

2007-12-06          149032

Glad to be back had a rough couple of years with health issues as well as fighting a huge co that bought the building my office was in for 15 years. They tried to evict me but I still had 5 years left on my lease after 3 years and 35k in legal fees they bought me out of my lease . I can't retire, but I basiclly got all 15 years rent, Buildout cost plus some toy buying money. So all in all I can't complain now. Bought my own building and builout nice new office. Mobilus not sure any new mattress would help your situation. Mark thanks for the welcome back (hope I got the name right)hope all is well with you. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-12-06          149037

Rough couple of years here too...... Health problems but muddling through. Maybe we can both get out of the woods this year.

Mark ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-07          149045

Here, here, good to see you back Doc. Glad to hear you got your issues straightened out.

This past couple of years seems to have been tough on several of us. :(

Oh well, as my new lady says, that just means there's no where to go but up!! ;)

Best of luck. ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
bialecki

2007-12-07          149061

We had an old King Coil for 20 years, finally without realizing it you wonder why everyday you wake up sore. Well we went to Macy's and ordered a $1,000 Sterns & Foster, hey the name seemed like a good one and how well can you really tell if you are going to like the mattress in the store. Well we received the mattress and after just two days we knew this POS had to go back, worst than the twenty year old King Coil. With a small amount of arguing with Macy's they agreed as long as we bought another one from them, no problem, so after a lot of shopping at their New York store we settled on a Sealy, however, the one we picked was Firm highest quality, etc. $2,000 later we have a mattress that is GREAT! Three years later it is still GREAT. Now if someone told me that you should spend $2,000 on a mattress when we first started shopping I would have told them they are nuts! However, a lesson was learned and I am glad we went for the best that we were able to afford. My vote is for the Sealy Posturepedic.

Now if Kubota can take a lesson from Sealy and replace my seat on my B-7800 I will be all set! ....

Mattresses

View my Photos
drcjv.

2007-12-08          149086

Murf good to be back I was just showing a buddy of mine the virtues of the "Murf pipe" the other day it's hard to believe that I started posting 5 years ago. For those of you who do not know what a Murf Pipe is check out my pics.
doc ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login