Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
Loren
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-23          121629

I am looking to buy a 3720 hydro R4 tires mid pto and 3 valve package. Also looking for a cx300 loader. Dealer quoting 15% off list. Can I do better than this? Also looking for a good grass seeding drill as I want to start a lawn seeding business. Anyone used a Frontier,Landpride,Gill-Woods,Brillion or any other brands? What are strong and weak points of the brands listed? Has anyone used an Absolute Innovations prep rake? How did it perform?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-23          121636

15% off list for a new model is very good. 20% off list is exeptional and rare. You might check the JD website and build & price your own machine as a sanity check. The JD build utility will give you list prices. Sorry, can't answer your other questions. ....

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-23          121643

As Ken said, 15% is not a bad deal at all. 20% is indeed very rare. All of the brands you mentioned are good quality top line stuff with the exception of the Brillion. Brillion is not as well built or holds up as well in my opinion but then again, they are usually a good bit cheaper so depends upon the use you have in mind. ....

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
Loren

2005-12-24          121650

Thank you for your advice. I thought 15% was a pretty good discount as I have talked to dealers who discounted only 3%. Merry Christmas to all !!!!!

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
midgalandscaper

2006-01-04          122263

Loren, what kind of price are you getting on the 3720 with the options you want? ....

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
Loren

2006-01-04          122265

The price I've gotten so far is around $23500 - the 15% discountto $20000. Recently heard if you belong to the AQHA John Deere would give an extra discount. 10% down no interest no payment program from Deere is good through Feb 27. Still looking for input and prices on grass drills.
TIA ....

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-12-03          175499

Economic conditions having changed so radically, I thought I'd revive this old thread. Just ordered a 2011 3720 cab w/300X loader and 4-in-1 bucket. Dealer discounted 20% from list.

2011 production line doesn't start rolling till after New Years, so I can still make changes to the order. After the upgrade from standard bucket to the AY11 4-in-1, I'm now wondering now if I should have gone up to the 300CX loader as well.

Comments? Suggestions?

//greg// ....

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-12-05          175538

Greg, I'd sure like to have the machine you're buying and at 20% off list you've done well.

A couple of thoughts which may or may not be useful.

Has anyone ever regretted getting a heavier duty loader?

If you work in the brush and they offer a skid plate kit for the underside I'd highly recommend it. Sometimes this is sold as a rental unit upgrade, probably dealer installed or you could DIY.

Rear work lights? Rear outlets? Top and Tilt?

What sort of tires? What sort of terrain do you operate in?

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-12-05          175540

Mirrors and lighting are built into the cab. There are mirror and light upgrades, but I feel the standard equipment satisfies my own needs.

I work 30 acres of diagonal, half pasture and half woodlot. I also mow and move hay rolls between two other locations for an elderly neighbor. Three reasons I went for R1 (ag) tires:
1. Even though there will be some road time between farms, all actual work will be performed on pasture and woodlots - and the gravel roads connecting them.
2. overall width with R1 tires is greater than R3 or R4 options. Given the higher center of gravity of the cab tractor, I wanted that extra sidehill stability.
3. R1s are standard, R3/R4 just add to the price.

Loader regrets? Can't address that. Only loader I've ever owned is the Koyker 160 on my TS354C. It's a 60" standard duty materials bucket with a heavy duty toothbar. Note however, that the 3720 I'm ordering is a 4-in-1 (clamshell). I'm not sure if that is considered SD or HD.

I examined the JD options/customization list pretty closely, and don't recall seeing skid plates. That said, pretty sure I read the ground clearance on R1s is 12". That should be adequate for the terrain I'll be working it on. Besides, when I'm working in brush or high grass - I position the FEL about 10" off the ground. My own personal early warning technique.

But I'm still wondering if anyone has thoughts on me jumping from the HD materials bucket to the 4-in-1. Like whether or not it may be money well spent. My idea is that it will save me a lot of arthritis pain getting on/off/in/out of the tractor to pick up storm debris and move it to a burn pile - or take riprap off a rock pile. Anybody who's tried can tell you busting into a rock pile with a 35hp tractor doesn't usually result in very many rocks in the bucket. I have resorted to driving up to the pile, then throwing the (bowling ball size) rock into the bucket by hand.

//greg//

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
Murf

2010-12-05          175541

Greg, I have a 4 in 1 bucket on several of my machines, probably the one I have the most experience with is the one on my full size TLB.

It's a huge compromise IMHO. It's a lot smaller in capacity than a standard bucket and nearly useless for picking up anything unless you have a second person to spot / guide you. The bucket completely blocks your vision of what it is you're trying to pick up.

Not that it's a concern in my case, but it's also a bunch heavier than a normal HD bucket.

Between the above, and the fact I already have a machine with that setup I opted for forks on my own machine. I use them for everything.

Best of luck. ....

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
Chief

2010-12-05          175542

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 175538
If you work in the brush and they offer a skid plate kit for the underside I'd highly recommend it. Sometimes this is sold as a rental unit upgrade, probably dealer installed or you could DIY.Rear work lights? Rear outlets? Top and Tilt?What sort of tires? What sort of terrain do you operate in?

The rental upgrade kit/skid plate package if definitely nice if you are in a lot of heavy brush and vegetation that can tear wiring or connector plugs loose. The big drawback to the rental upgrade kit is that it is not compatible with a MMM or snow throwing and possibly some other attachements/impliments that require access to the underside of the tractor. It DOES offer a LOT of protection and added ridgity to the tractor and frame.

The last time I checked, these rental upgrade kits are obsoleted parts and no longer available unless you can find a dealer that has then on the self as NOS.

Congrats on the new machine. Sounds like you did well on the price and are very happy with it. ....

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-12-05          175547

Greg, to me the idea of the 4-in-1 bucket required too many compromises. I opted for a HD material bucket and a Borgford Bodozer grapple. The grapple is a real nice piece of equipment but it is not cheap. Changing between loader and grapple only takes a few minutes. ....

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-12-05          175550

My 4310 with a 430 laoder has the 4 in 1, a regular bucket and the fork attachment. It takes only minutes to switch, you need a third outlet and the plumbing on the loader farme tho for the 4 in 1.
Like Murf said your vision is blocked to make the 4 in 1 work real good without a spotter to help. It is a lot heavier bucket than the materials bucket so I use it for rocks and other nasty stuff that could bend or spring a regular bucket.
I've got the brush guard/extra frame support kit underneath too. There was a sort of panic attack here on TP several years ago about the 4000 series could be broken in half without the frame support/brush guard kit while using a backhoe. The dealer said he'd never heard of it happening but I ordered one anyway. It could be taken off to use a MMM but that would be a chore you don't need. At that time 10 - 12 yrs ago when I bought the tractor/loader/48 backoe package they offeresd a brush guard kit that shielded the rear work light and the warning blinkers on the side of the ROPS. I ordered them for it seems like not very much and they have saved the lights a time or two when I got too close to a bush or something.
Frank. ....

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-12-06          175578

Thanks for the input guys. Keep'em coming - I have a couple more weeks of breathing time before the tractor assembly goes past the point of no return.

I knew the 4-in-1 required extra hydraulics, but I didn't realize it was that much heavier. Makes a good case for upgrading from the 300X to the 300CX loader. In addition to the 300CX having standard front hydraulic remotes, it's got a few hundred more pounds lifting capacity (than the 300X).

But given the kinda stuff I'll use it for around here, I don't see forward visibility as that much of a problem. I mean, I'm not going to be picking up dimes, just moving storm damage; full limbs, fallen pines, brush piles, et cetera. Probably use it to pick rip-rap from the top of a pile, rather than try to bust into it from the side like would be required with a materials bucket. It will be an expensive mistake if I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing forward visibility as a deal killer here.

//greg// ....

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-12-07          175582

Gregg;

I would assume that Deere's 4 on 1 bucket is still identical to mine, I think 61 inches wide. I'm sure they purposely kept them narrow to prevent twisting stress on the loader frame of someone grabbing clamping onto and lifting something extra heavy at just one end of the bucket. They are a specialty tool meant for a special purpose, the rough nasty stuff and grabing up things that are hard to keep in or on a regular bucket. I've used mine a lot in those circumstances and so far the only damage I have saw to the bucket is the paint being scratched up. One example was tearing out old fence, again with a spotter along to guide you onto the post it was snap to pull the old posts then grab the old fence wire that was grown into the sod to pull it out. My regular materials bucket is the next size wider 73 in., I think. The material bucket is deeper too so the cu. ft. volume is a lot more than the 4 in 1. That gets lots more done in snow plus breaks a wider path for the tractor to fit thru ona first pass down the driveway.
To your question about going to the heavier loader, yes, if it don't break the bank and especially if the plumbing to the front of the frame is incluced. Upgrading now would likely be lots cheaper than repairing later. When I bought the 4310 the 430 loader was the heaviest offered and so far so good, nothing has broken or appeared to be sprung. I like anyone else have made ir do a thing or two that I shoudn't have and gotten away with it, the lighter frame may not have been so forgiving.
Frank. ....

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-12-07          175583

This AY11 model Frontier 4-in-1 actually comes in either 5' or 6' widths. But the cabbed 3720 weighs something like 3680#, and the rear ballast box I'm buying only holds another 900# (without extensions). Additionally, the outside front width with R1 tires is something like 52". So to me, the smaller of the two 4-in-1 offerings made more sense (cheaper too).

Glad you mentioned fencelines. One of my spring projects is to tear down the post and wire enclosure on the north side of my barn. There's a couple dozen old cedar posts and several hundred feet of woven and welded wire to remove. Sounds like the 4-in-1 will be handy there too.

//greg// ....

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-12-07          175587

Gregg;

I don't want to get too pushy about how you spend your money, but being you mentioned buying a ballast box, I'll make a comment or two.
Unless you're concerned about it being too wide or clumbsy a ballast box is something I'd skip and put the money toward a good quality box blade. It serves the same ballast purpose plus a lots more usefull. Mine is a Land Pride I've had since the tractor was new. I leave it on anytime I'm not using the three point for something else. The loader has never been off the tractor, if I use a rear mower or tiller I just drop the bucket off.
I've never saw a box blade manufacturer recommend doing what I use mine for so I guess if I break it I'm on my own. When we get a nasty coat of ice on the gravel drive I use the box blade just like I would for dirt in the summer. The teeth rip the ice loose and the box brings it along to where I want it. I don't use tire chains so traction is my safety device to protect the teeth and blade, if the tooth catches something too hard the tractor just stops and spins, just lift the blade and away you go.
Frank. ....

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
Murf

2010-12-07          175588

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_g | view 175578
If you work in the brush and they offer a skid plate kit for the underside I'd highly recommend it. Sometimes this is sold as a rental unit upgrade, probably dealer installed or you could DIY.Rear work lights? Rear outlets? Top and Tilt?What sort of tires? What sort of terrain do you operate in?
[QUOTE=greg_g;175578]But given the kinda stuff I'll use it for around here, I don't see forward visibility as that much of a problem. I mean, I'm not going to be picking up dimes, just moving storm damage; full limbs, fallen pines, brush piles, et cetera.

Probably use it to pick rip-rap from the top of a pile, rather than try to bust into it from the side like would be required with a materials bucket.[/QUOTE]

Greg, I would seriously suggest you try out a machine with that 4-in-1 bucket before you pull the trigger.

It isn't as simple as salesmen and such make it out to be. If the height or angle of the bucket isn't just exactly right, it will not pick up stuff like limbs, etc., the jaws will either close empty above them, or you will get a bucket full of dirt with a limb in it.

I find rip-rap is a real PITA, it does what it's supposed to and locks together, you end up with several wedged together and holding the jaws partly open, or they just don't close at all. We find a jiggling motion side-to-side on the curl circuit with a regular bucket far more productive.

The one item I must agree with though is post, stump, and fence removal. It's great for that.

Best of luck. ....

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-12-07          175589

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 175587
Unless you're concerned about it being too wide or clumbsy a ballast box is something I'd skip and put the money toward a good quality box blade.
Got a six foot box, and the rears on the 3720 will be set at the 5 foot width. Plus, the BB probably weighs less than a ballast box full of sand. The JD ballast box was actually one of the most reasonable options I specified for this tractor. $210 bucks. You can get an extended version that holds more, but I can probably fabricate the very same extensions should I discover that nearly half a ton of ballast behind me still ain't enough. Plus - it's a TPH model. When I don't plan on using the bucket for a while, I can drop both the bucket AND the ballast.

And MURF - it's clear you're not a big fan of the 4-in-1. And I don't want to sound like I'm trying to rationalize anything here. And I appreciate you relating personal experiences. But I'm not sure if they extend to a machine as small as the 3720. Plus, I mentioned earlier that I'm also putting a toothbar on this 4-in-1. It's my thinking that the slope nose of the 3000 series tractor helps the visibility problem, as does the (comparatively) short wheelbase. And the toothbar should help in several ways; namely letting me know when the open clamshell hits ground level, and giving the clamshell just a little extra "grip" on elusive materials. Should help loosening up the rip-rap pile too.

//greg// ....

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2010-12-07          175595

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 175587
..... Unless you're concerned about it being too wide or clumbsy a ballast box is something I'd skip and put the money toward a good quality box blade.

My neighbor and I bought Kubotas at the same time 6 years ago, we both have loaders and ballast boxes, and I have a rear grader blade and he does not.

We both use the tractors for snow removal in the winter with front snowblowers. He has never removed the ballast box, mine has only been used once and now is the place where we store basketballs and other junk, it does come in handy that way, I keep the rear blade on all winter and it is quite useful. The ballast box does the job well too and is nice and compact, but most of the time for me being compact is not needed.

If anyone is local to NJ and needs a ballast box in mint condition let me know :(

John Deere 3720 price

View my Photos
RobertGreen

2014-01-30          188806

According to my survey, I found that there is not many tractor dealers who are giving upto 15% discount. I think that is a pretty good deal. ....

Link:   Eton

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login