Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-05-14          186962

Something we have never did is go on a cruise to anywhere.
The Mrs. isn't very excited about going, and I know nothing about them, the biggest boat I've been on is our 14 ft. flatbottom. Some of the bad experiences that have been happening what with no fresh water, no toilets, no air conditioning, etc. for days and days does dampen my enthusiasim too.
So some of you guys likely have taken them, what's your thoughts?

Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-05-14          186964

I have never done a cruise. Just taking a New York Circle Liner around Manhattan or a Hudson River Dinner Cruise has been more then enough for me to know I am not a Cruise Boat person.

I have seen people off on Cruises where you get to tour the boat before it departs. Once again for me already too much Cruise just in the dock.

I have flown to a small Caribbean island for vacation (St Martin) and I found it too confining, I always likened that trip to the only thing that could be worse ( being locked up on a cruise boat!). I could not wait to get to the US so I stop being ripped off by Island prices, like breakfast for one for $40. Ugh!

I know Cruises usually are all inclusive for meals, but that is another thing I have been eating healthy to keep my weight down, so no sale again !

Well so much for why I don't go. My wife's school has been doing a Music Department Cruise every other year, and they have a great time because the kids perform on stage.

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-05-14          186965

Think I know why I don't do cruises...no tractors.

My wife has been on three with a sister in law and enjoys them. I rather float down local river myself. ....

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
kwschumm

2013-05-14          186966

I've been on two cruises to Alaska with Holland America and really enjoyed them. Beautiful scenery, some wonderful nightly entertainment, great food, fresh air, calving glaciers, breaching whales, and incredible sunsets. One tip would be to take Dramamine each day regardless of any advice to the contrary, it's just not worth wasting a day if the seas are rolling a bit. Each cruise line has their own target demographic and you may not enjoy it much if you were on an under-25 party ship or a "family" oriented cruise with lots of kids ala Disney. ....

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
taogden

2013-05-15          186967

I have been on a couple of cruises, the Holland america, and any Norwegian ship would be my suggestion. I did my reservations through AAA.
If you are prone to be sea sick, get amidships, as low to the water as possible. Wife gets sea sick but was able to recoup in our room and then venture out again.
I really liked the Norwegian lines, clean, well kept and the captains for the ones I were on were Norwegian Military captains, they run a tight ship. I would steer clear of anything captained by an Italian, they seem to be having a difficult time of late ;) ....

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
taogden

2013-05-15          186968

Another thing to consider, the European river cruises, have a friend who keeps trying to talk us into coming over and doing one with him and his wife. I hear the one that goes through Russia is one to see, he has sent pictures and it does look spectacular. No sea sick on a river cruise. ....

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-05-15          186970

I've saw those river cruises advertised on TV. The Mrs. says she don't want to be on a boat that she cannot see land from.
I am a full blood Luxemburger so one of the river cruises thru Germany or Luxembourg would intrest me.
My brother in law has been on several cruises with his wife that go to the Carribean islands, he says never again. He says there are too many cruise ships for the same size ports where they dump you off to the tourist trap trinket shops. Him not liking crowds probably has something to do with it also.
I think my chances are pretty slim of doing a cruise.

Frank. ....

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
taogden

2013-05-15          186971

Sounds like the river cruise might be for you then. In sight of land the whole time. Smaller groups, both on the ship and off. I never had the urge for the typical cruise to the Bahamas and stuff either, 9 years navy I know what to expect, but a long cruise, open ocean, in the pacific might tax my wifes desire for the trip, but, I would like to see Australia, New Zealand and those areas. Or just fly down and spend a few weeks. ....

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-05-15          186973

I think the river cruises of Europe would be interesting even for me :) That way you could visit Europe's cities without the hassle of a car. Also Ken's cruises sound interesting as well.

My previous comments were jaded by being on the east coast where most cruises go to Bermuda from NY or the Carribean from Florida. ....

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-05-19          186994

Thank you all for the information and opinions on Cruise ships but it just isn't going to happen.
Mrs. says too many of them are ending up as a disaster cruise, with overflowing toilets and all that.
One that would have been interesting to me anyhow is one that goes thru the Panama Canal. The Mrs. sister and her husband did that, he said that was the best one he was ever on.

Frank. ....

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
Murf

2013-05-21          187002

I've been on many cruises, my Ex was a fan of them.

To me they are nothing more than a mobile hotel, you can 'check in' in one city, see 3 or 4 more, then get dropped back to where you started.

In my mind, if I want to visit another country, I want to be there for more than a few hours.

Best of luck.

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
Art White

2013-05-21          187006

Cruise ships are quite popular and I do agree with Murf that I like to spend more then a few hours at some of the destinations.
We have cruised much of the gulf with the eastern cruises as well as the western. We have not explored beyond that and most of the cruises were from the companies we deal with.
The best one was for our 25th when we did the Panama canal although some of the stops we had been to before for vacations the canal was the highlight! We have talked about going again next year with the 100th coming up and the big channel for the 200 foot wide monster boats opening. ....

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
auerbach

2013-05-26          187073

I enjoy cruises, and am annoyed mainly at the oriental-bazaar-like aspect to knowing what a good price is. As for the odd rare failure, I figure this will make all of them take extreme care.

But ships and lines differ in whom they attract, what they offer, where they go, pricing policies (drinks, tips, excursions, ...) dress norms, size, etc. so I'd make the first stop a bookstore to get pointed to the shelf of books on cruising. ....

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-05-26          187074

I doubt that we ever go since we are moving to an assisted living home. I'm sure they have handicap rooms and other facilitys that would cater to the slower than slow crowd like we fit into now, but beinng the Mrs. isn't interested it just isn't gong to happen.
Thanks anyway for all the information, perhaps someone else wiill benefit from it.

Frank. ....

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-05-28          187095

Just saw on the news where a cruise ship caught fire, it sure seems like a lot of things have been going wrong lately. I don't remember hearing much in the past about them having all sorts of troubles.

Frank. ....

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
Murf

2013-05-29          187103

I suspect it's just we're hearing more about it lately Frank.

I've been renting condo's the last few years quite a bit. I use a website dedicated to owners listing their own properties for rent. It's loaded with pics and area info and you can read comments from previous owners too.

My wife has some serious food issues and I've just lost my taste for restaurant / take-out food so having our own full kitchen, etc., and not being in a big (loud) resort / hotel complex is really nice.

Best of luck. ....

Cruise Ships

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-05-29          187104

Murf;
Sorry to hear about you taking the tumble. It seems we are always about a second and a half from being banged up somehow or other.
Your comment about eating the take out hit's home here too, some of the stale looking potato salad and other prepared things at the supermarket deli keep us eating our own food. We've never gotten sick from any deli food, but sometimes it made you wonder as you bit into it.

Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login