Go Bottom Go Bottom

I m Still Alive Busy Year

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-07-20          164200

Dear Friends,

I recently received a message from one of our valued members, wondering how things are going for me. I thank you for contacting me.

Our summers are very short up here in North Dakota. I just don't have time to spend on the computer during the summer months.....all both of them.

With heavy flooding in ND this Spring, my son and daughter were called up for National Guard duty to assist with dike construction. We recently had a tornado hit the town of Dickinson, so my son was again called up for that. On top of all this, my wife is deploying to Kosovo for a year. She leaves next week. I won't see her again until September of 2010. Much of my summer has revolved around all of the activities related to my wife's deployment. I'm way behind on my summer chores.

My outdoor activities will come to a halt sometime in mid-october. In the meantime, I just purchased a wood-burning pellet stove for the house. I still have to install the chimney and fresh air intake for that.

I have a few welding projects to finish up this summer. I've already built a weight bracket for the front of the Kubota. My next project is to make that weight bracket adaptable to the rear grader blade. It slides into a receiver hitch tube, making it easy to transfer from one implement to another. I have a receiver tube mounted on the front of the tractor. It works great. I will soon be able to remove the weight bracket from the tractor and install it on my various implements.

The new roof is about to go on the old barn. It's going to be a project.

I'll be back here again when the snow starts falling. I miss my friends here. I look forward to sharing a few stories with you folks when I return later this Fall.

Joel

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-07-20          164201

Glad to know you're doing OK, your absence is missed.

I know what you mean about busy summers, there is no way I'll get all my summer chores done so it's down to picking and choosing. Was hoping to paint the south side of the house but that will have to wait another year. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-07-20          164203

Joel, at least with being that far north you have longer days in which to get your work done.

If the sun was coming up at 8am and going down at 5pm you'd be in real trouble trying to get stuff done.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-07-20          164208

Murf, The only problem with the long summer days is there is daylight left over after my energy is all gone. :-(

Ken, with you...put about all on hold to get dirt moved.

Joel, hope and pray all goes well with your wife and her deployment. You really have a military family there!

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-07-20          164220

Joel I was wondering where you've been too. Speaking of that anyone heard from Oneace?

Murf, about sunlight, when I was on the Gulf Coast I noticed that no matter the time of year, they had one hour less sunlight than they/we had in Michgan. Haven't really tried to figger it out, so I will will defer to the Old Wisea%$ed One: YOU! And there's probably a simple albeit unbeknownst-to-ol'-Jeffy reason. (gee, looky--I think there's a forest here somewhere but there's a tree standing before me?) ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-07-21          164231

EW, realize you said one hour less of daylight but am guessing you mean their daylight ends one hour earlier. If that is it think you will find it is due to where in the time zone each area is. Michigan is on the western side of their time zone while Louisiana is more towards the eastern side. Now if you were getting up with the sun as most rural hard working people do you might notice they have daylight earlier than you do. Of course with the tilt of the earth you do get more daylight than the south per day but in the winter we get more. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-07-21          164236

We all thank your family for their public service, and wish them safety and success. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-07-23          164286

Jeff, it's a dead simple, complicated reason. LOL

During the summer the sun is higher relative to our position on the earths surface, this is because during the summer the earth is spinning on a different angle relative to the sun. This puts us closer to the sun, and gives us more heat, more sunshine and our summer.

Because the sun is at a higher angle relative to us, it appears over the horizon earlier in the morning, and disappears over the horizon later in the day. This causes to a much longer overall day in the north.

It is the opposite of this that allows our area to cool down so much in the winter also, we are further from the sun, and get less hours of sun to heat our part of the earth.

The further south you go, the closer you get to the equator, and the less affect this change has on the earth there. In fact if you look up the sunrise/sunset times (Google them) for cities working from say Key West Fl. up the east coast to Maine you'll see the pattern quite clearly.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login