Go Bottom Go Bottom

Winter storage of small engines

View my Photos
J MALLOY
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-12          63722

This has probably been discussed in the past before I became a member. I have heard that both ways are the best but would be interested in hearing what you guys have to say. Storage of small engines, walk behind mowers, tillers, etc; for the winter months. Fill with gas and use stabilizer or run the tank dry ??

Thanks,

J. Malloy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-12          63725

I don't know if there is a BEST way. I've done it both ways and haven't noticed problems either way. What I usually do now is run it dry if it's almost empty, otherwise I fill it up with fresh stabilized fuel before putting it away for the season. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-12          63727

We use many small engines in my business, and the maintenace guy stores them all the same way. Not to say that it's any better than any other way.

Drain fuel tank completely, next, drain all lines, filters, etc., and run carb dry. Remove spark plug and spray storage oil into cylinders, and replace plug finger tight, leaving wire off. Put a canvas cover (any breathable fabric will do) over engine. Store in a cool dry location till needed.

Now the logic behind it all.

By completely draining the fuel system there is a perfect opportunity in the spring when everything is well dried out to remove the foreign matter and debris that inevitably ends up in the tank and lines. It is also the perfect time to replace the fuel filter without getting covered in gas to the elbow. A new (or at least cleaned up) plug. Inspect the wiring, etc., some fresh gas and you're off & running.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-12          63732

I have done it both ways and learned my lesson. I put fresh gas which has been maximum treated with Stabil in the tank and run it long enough to ensure the treated fuel is in the carb. A good shot of engine fogging oil in the spark plug hole & pull it over by hand a few times. Then change the oil and filter if applicable. If you run the tank & carb dry, there is always a small amount of fuel that does not get pulled out of the carb. This fuel will dry and leave gum deposits which wreak havoc with the carb. and play hell with you in the Spring when you need it. I have engines I have been doing this with for over 10 years and they run like a champ and start right up every year. The only exception to this is my emergency generator which I ran dry of fuel and then removed the air filter and ran it for a few minutes off of WD-40 to lubricate/preserve the carb. and I also gave a few shots of oil in the spark plug hole and pulled it over by hand to spread it out. Always change the oil and filter when you put it into storage to minimize deposits and potential damage from moisture/acids in the oil. Finally a thin spray coating of "Hommer's Duck Butter" to preserve the outside of the engine and finish. ;-) ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-13          63749

You guys are GOOD!!! from my side of it the info here thats been given is tough to beat. I will add this, the low grade fuel only has about a 90 day shelf life. The cooler temps of the winter lenghtens the seperation and break down on it compared to summer. Any way you look at it to drain or stabalize is a neccesity. In some of the older more complex carbs I was informed that the drying out might hinder the gasket life on them but I have never seen any type of it myself. ....

View my Photos
J MALLOY

2003-09-15          63881

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. Really enjoy this board, always lots of good info on it.

Thanks again to all.

J. Malloy

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2012-11-21          185523

Is everyone of the same mindset in 2012? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-11-22          185526

Dennis;

It seems that my "mind" just "sets" around doing nothing anymore.

Happpy Thanksgiving!!

Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-11-23          185531

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 185526
Dennis;It seems that my "mind" just "sets" around doing nothing anymore.Happpy Thanksgiving!!Frank.

Sometimes that is the best thing to do..never pulled a tractor out of a bogg I just thought about...lol ....

View my Photos
taogden

2012-11-24          185536

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCTB | view 185523
Is everyone of the same mindset in 2012?

Pretty much, I even store my big engines this way, use Seafoam in the tank, on updraft carbs, shut off the fuel and run them dry, I don't do anything special for the cylinders, but Colorado has such a dry climate it is not much of an issue. Diesels I fill the tanks and treat, gas, fill the tank and treat. The only thing I do different is checking for mice damage in the spring. Weed whackers, chainsaws, hand push lawn mowers all get drained ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login