Go Bottom Go Bottom

Double dumb Colorado door lock stunt

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-21          136160

My brother just bought a new one 2 days ago.
I went to unlock it and discovered there is no way to unlock the passenger side door from the out side. Is this plain stupid or what?
Needless to say my brother is highly P O about this, especially since he's on oxygen and the lack of out side access through this locked door highly over taxes his breathing ability.
If it were me I'd just take the thing back to the dealer and demand my money back.

>>> >>>

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-21          136166

With the electronic key fobs almost being standard, they probably removed the side key point as a cost savings move. Figured who would miss it? I hardly use mine at all. But, if your brother doesn't have the key fob with him all the time, then I can see where it can really be miserable.

So much for the great cost saving idea. I could be wrong, but I figure I'm at least 90% chance of being right. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-10-21          136168

Iowa

You are 100% right. For about two or three years now, the pasenger side locks have been omitted.

More people use their FOBs than do a key. FOBs have Panic buttons on them, and can be used to open power doors or liftgates etc etc, so people have gone to the FOB and seldom use a key. They don't FREEZE UP in the Winter either.

I had this lady about 3 years ago acting frantic trying to get into her Grd Cheorkee. He infant baby was inside and crying and she was pushing buttons on the FOB to no avail. As I approached her, she pleaded with me to help her because she thought the batteries in her FOB were dead and she needed to get into the car, for obvious reasons. I took the keychain from her and commenced to use the key to unlock her door. When I opened her door she stood there and told me how embarassed she was for forgetting about using the key. TRUE

Larry

Tell him to wear one around his neck like he would a monitor. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-21          136170

The Toyota Highlander can get in a mode where a person inside cannot get out. My wife was driving, stopped for a quick stop at a store and by habit took her keys and locked the doors. She was taking a long time so I tried to open the door to go find her. The doors wouldn't open and the electric locks wouldn't unlock. I had to insert my key in the ignition to unlock them. Another award winning design feature. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-10-21          136174

KT

Was there a Security System in this Highlander? sounds it.
Don't order a Factory Installed Security System, take it to the Security System EXPERTS to have one installed. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-10-21          136175

No. the highlander does not have the optional factory security system. The design of the inside door handles is such that they don't work if the doors are locked. Apparently the interior door lock switch is disabled when some event or combination of events happens (the doors are locked with the fob, or after some time period with no activity, or ???). ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-10-21          136176

He didn't get any remotes with it & there is nothing in any of the paper work or owners manual about the truck having keyless entry.

According to two salesmen at another Chevy DealerShip the Colorado is supposed to have a remote keyless entry lock on the passenger side door of the truck if the truck came equipped with the extra cost keyless entry option.
If it did not come with the keyless entry system the passenger side door is supposed to have a keyed lock on that door.
According to this my brother was supposed to get either a keyed lock or a remote lock for that door.
He did not get either one of them.
Since my brother can't unlock the door from outside the truck with a remote or a key I'd say he got ripped off or at least short changed.

>>> >>>
>>>> >>>> ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-10-21          136177

Larry

That seems to be true about the keyless Entry and the lack of a Passenger lock. You can go to the Salesmen/Service and they can do an OPTION REPORT based on the vin. If the Option Report says there is Keyless entry, they OWE you TWO key FOBs. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-10-21          136180

1*More people use their FOBs than do a key. so people have gone to the FOB and seldom use a key
2*I took the key chain from her and commenced to use the key to unlock her door. When I opened her door she stood there and told me how embarrassed she was for forgetting about using the key.
3*Tell him to wear one around his neck like he would a monitor.

wingwiper
======
1*There is no Fob for his Colorado so he can't get the door open with that.
2*My brother has a key but how do you use it in a door handle that has no key slot in it?
3*He can't do that when he don't have one.

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-10-23          136220

Here in his own words is why the passenger door that can't be unlocked from outside the Vehicle is such a BIG ISSUE to My Brother.

I have run into a problem with the Colorado. This is more of a handicap accessibility issue than anything else.

I didn't know that the passenger side door did not have a key lock.

This was my normal routine (my old truck S10)--I would take the tanks out to my truck, unlock the passenger side door, lay the tanks on the floor, close the door, go around to the driver side door, unlock it, get in, and drive away.

Here is the new routine (my new truck Colorado)--Take the tanks out to my truck, lay the tanks in the truck bed, go around to the driver side door, unlock it, get in, slide over toward the passenger side, unlock passenger side door, slide back out of driver side, go around to passenger side, open the door, take tanks out of truck bed and lay them on the floor, close the door, go around to driver side again, get in, and drive away.

Every movement, like bending, lifting, reaching will tax my breathing and I have to stop and rest a couple of minutes, Between each movement to catch my breath. In the scenario above I walk around the truck three times. I also have to slide across the seat enough that I can reach the door to unlock it and slide back out of the truck. And I have to get in the truck twice. With a key lock door I only walk around the truck once and that is to get in the truck once.
I never heard of a door with no way to open it from the outside if it was locked.
As you must surely realize from my brothers comments above the un lockable door causes him undue physical stress and discomfort.

It may not bother the able-bodied but the door lock thing is a big deal for those like my bother and others who are handicapped or disabled.

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-10-23          136222

Larry

If your brother bought a truck with MANUAL LOCKS and no Power locks, it is very possible not to have a cylinder on the pasenger door.
If he has Power locks, then he can push the unlock button on the ddrivers door and it will unlock the passenger as well.
If he does NOT have Power Locks, then he may check with a Local Car Starter Retailer and see if that can be added with a Starter, inexpensively. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-10-23          136227

r bought a truck with MANUAL LOCKS and no Power locks, it is very possible not to have a cylinder on the passenger door.
2*If he has Power locks, then he can push the unlock button on the drivers door and it will unlock the passenger door as well.
3*If he does NOT have Power Locks, then he may check with a Local Car Starter Retailer and see if that can be added with a Starter, inexpensively.
******* wingwiper 2006-10-23 Post: 136222 *********
~~~~~~~~~~
1* It's possible but it's not supposed to happen.
According to 2 salesmen we talked with when my wife and I went shopping for a new Colorado,
All passenger side doors on this truck are un lockable from outside of the truck. It don't matter if it's equipped with power locks, keyless entry or manual locks. There is not supposed to be any such thing as a passenger side door that can't be un locked from outside the Vehicle. Considering this my brother paid for an un lockable P S D but he didn't get what he paid for.
2*Even if he could do this it wouldn't help him much as he would still have to make extra unnecessary trips around the truck.
3*He should not have to pay anybody for what should have been on the truck when he bought it!
According to the 2 Salesmen we talked to he was supposed to get a door on the Passenger Side that can be unlocked from outside. He didn't get it so he got taken on that.

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-10-23          136230

Lary

Who said it was SUPPOSE to come with a Passenger side Lock?
They don't make them that way anymore. If you have Keyless entry, then all he has to do is push the UNLOCK button twice and the passenger door WILL BE unlocked from the outside.
If he has Power Locks, he can unlock ALL doors from the driver's side with a push of a button.
If You do NOT have Keyless Entry, he did NOT pay for a outside access to a door lock, because that is NOT how they are made and it is NOT an option.
You may have an Issue due to Handicap, but he will need to write to the BIG BOYS at GM HQ. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-10-23          136232

Caveat emptor ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-10-24          136257

There is much here that makes me say humm.

If right door lock is so important how come he missed it? Did he test drive the pickup? Did it not come up in the sales process? Have you followed up as the other dealership said and was told here to see if it was suppose to have remote?

My present pickup (Toyota) I made comment on type of door locks it had. A month or more after buying and realizing they did not work like I thought it hit me the salesman told me he did not know to my question. It was my miss, he was honest.

There is a possibility there could be a law somewhere pretaining to the disabled, that requires different notice or features the salesperson or dealership or even GM missed. I know a man who walked away from a lease with no problem due to something very similiar.

Is it not possible to place the tank(s) behind the driver's seat? And as to tanks, does he have to have more than one in the cabin? Why could the additional not be secured in tank rake in the bed? Sure seems in case of accident that might be safer.

I am one of the MEN who do not like the remotes. How much junk can you place in your pockets. Please, no fanny pack. LOL My wife's key ring has two remotes and fat head keys making it so big there is no way it would fit any pocket other than Captain Kangaroo's. My daughter's Honda's remote is the fat head key. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-10-24          136260

1*Who said it was supposed to come with a Passenger side Lock?
2*They don't make them that way anymore.
3*If You do NOT have Keyless Entry, he did NOT pay for an outside access to a door lock, because that is NOT how they are made and it is NOT an option.
>>> >>>wingwiper
2006-10-23
>>>> >>>>
1*See below
2* This applies to Trucks having remote keyless entry only ~~ See below.
3*Not so according the 2 salesman ~ See Below.

My wife and I went shopping for a new Colorado:
We very intensively grilled the 2 Salesmen we talked to about the Passenger Side door lock.

Here is how they explained it to us ---> There are 2 door handles for the passengers side door of the Colorado.
One is blank with no key slot in It for trucks having the keyless remote entry system.
The other door handle has a key lock with a key slot in it for trucks with manual locks.

From this it's obvious they slipped up on the assembly line and installed the wrong door handle in my brothers truck.
They owe him a free exchange of door handles. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-10-24          136261

Lary

If your brother ORDERED this truck, he should have a copy of all of the CODES that were ordered for the truck options. If that Lock Option is not on the Sales Agreement and his signature is, they owe him NOTHING.
Your brother may have a case with GM HQ as I said before and as KT pointed out and ANN very politely tried to imply.
I have a STUPID question for your brother, he said "This was my normal routine (my old truck S10)--I would take the tanks out to my truck, unlock the passenger side door, lay the tanks on the floor, close the door, go around to the driver side door, unlock it, get in, and drive away."
WHY DOESN'T HE LAY THE TANKS ON THE FLOOR IN THE BACK, ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE? That way he can unlock from the driver's side and won't have so far to go to get in and drive away.

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-10-24          136262

1. If right door lock is so important how come he missed it?
2* Did it not come up in the sales process?
3*Have checked to see if it was supposed to have remote locks?
4*Is it not possible to place the tank(s) behind the driver's seat?
5* as to tanks, does he have to have more than one in the cabin?
6*Why could the tanks not be secured in tank rake in the bed?
7* fat head keys.
>>> >>> >>>> >>>>
1*After over 40 years of buying cars that always had unlockable doors why would the thought to question it ever cross his mind?
2*Aparently not.
3*No but your question sparked a thought that never occurred to me before. I've been looking at it as they put the wrong door handle on it on the assembly line. perhaps in reality it has the correct door handle but they put the wrong lock system on it on the assembly line instead.
Any way you look at it according to the dealer I shopped at there was a screw up during the production of his truck.
4* Wouldn't work because he has to have easy quick access to the next tank when he runs out oxygen in the tank he's using. Same problem with having the tanks in the bed.
5* yes due to the need for quick easy access to spare tanks.
6*Also this would expose the tanks to tampering theft or vandalism.
He don't have to go to this expense and inconvenience when he uses his car so why should he have to put up with it with the truck? Especially if there was a production mistake on his truck!
7*Hate fat headed keys too.
The CC garden tractor I just purchased has them also. I may take a jig saw and trim it down and grind or wire brush off the plastic coating or see if I can get extra keys made with sensible heads on them.

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-27          136374

Ibrown - are the handles color coded to the vehicle or just black? If they are just black the dealer should be able to switch out the handle for the one with the lock without too much trouble. I am sure the autoworker just grabbed the handle from the wrong bin. I am sure we can all relate stories that are worse that this with auto parts mix ups on NA auto and some Japanese. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-10-27          136378

Ibrown - are the handles color coded to the vehicle or just black? If they are just black the dealer should be able to switch out the handle for the one with the lock without too much trouble. I am sure the autoworker just grabbed the handle from the wrong bin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> >>> Just black
Switching handles seems like an easy reasonable fix to me.
What I don't understand is his dealer making such a mountain out of a mole hill over doing that..
>>>> >>>> ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-27          136380

Most dealers don't want to get into door panels as there is a lot of fiddly work. A lot of the mechanics end up making a mess and waste a lot of time. Not all dealer have a body shop who are accustomed to working to panels. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login