Go Bottom Go Bottom

Canvases

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-01          117224

Has anyone ever made up canvases for oil paintings. I need to wip together some for my daughters art classes. The frame part is easy, but what base paint do you need to add. I have doped canoe canvas but it is not really the same as it does not need to be archival quality.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Canvases

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-02          117231

I am TOTALLY without experiende in this area but I have 3 daughters; the oldes being 13 and the youngest being 7. I have "one of those feelings" that I may come upon this situation. I would think that just a plain piece of canvas stapled to a frame would fill the bill, but I sure would appreciate hearing what you finally end up working with. ....

Canvases

View my Photos
Justus
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-02          117236

Peters, this may be what you're looking for. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Canvases

View my Photos
Justus

2005-10-02          117237

This is a bit more "in depth". I think they give you some kind of Degree after reading it but in yours and Lion's case it may pay off. Good luck! Steve ....

Link:   

Click Here

Canvases

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-02          117241

I have no personal experience in this, but my sister in law is an artist and she buys the pre-made canvas' at a craft store (actually on-line for the best prices). She used to make them but she didn't think she saved enough money to make it worthwhile. ....

Canvases

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-02          117245

Thanks Justus. I think I will use the acrylic varnish I have in house. I am still not sure what the gesso is or where I can find it here.
Ken The premade ones here are near $20 dollars each at Wallmart only. I can make 4 for $5 of better quality. As she has only completed one painting todate, I think it is better that she just paints rather than worrying about the costs. ....

Canvases

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-03          117290

Peters, while I'm far from being any sort of artist, wait, does a welder count? LOL, I have had this problem myself.

My niece was wanting to try her hand at painting some of the nature & wildlife photgraphs I have taken over the years.

My solution was simple, I cut pieces of Masonite into the desired sizes, then put a coat of primer on the BACK of the sheet. The square pattern rolled into the reverse side of the sheet after a good coat of primer has been applied is almost undistinguishable from canvas, and at a very small fraction of the cost.

If the painting ends up looking like something you want to frame, merely glue a frame of 1" x 2" pine around the edge and frame as usual.

Best of luck. ....

Canvases

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-10-03          117295

I dated an artist for several years while at college. Gesso is what artists all use to prepare a canvas. It is a water base product that seals the canvas and has a somewhat rough/porous texture that all types of paints adhere to without bleeding. You should be able to find it at any store selling artist supplies or any university bookstore.

I would suggest preparing the canvas in the proper way to help the new artist in whatever way you can to encourage them. The tubes of paint are also somewhat expensive and they will need about a half dozen or more primary colors for mixing with a pallet wheel.

Maybe your artist will be famous some day. ....

Canvases

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-17          118024

Well I finished the first frame. I used scrap 2" x 2" fir I had around the place. Naturally the frame is a little thicker than normal, but I figured if she is learning I can learn also. It might take a few attemps to get it perfect. The first attempt is better than the Wally World variety anyway. Maybe I should post a picture of her first canvas? ....

Canvases

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-25          118447

I posted my daughter first picture in my pictures, number 18. Talent? She was 13. ....

Canvases

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-25          118451

I don't see a pic 17, but pic 1 looks like it was compressed with a very lossy compression algorithm :( ....

Canvases

View my Photos
Justus

2005-10-25          118455

Very well done! You can be proud of her no matter what type of canvas it is. ....

Canvases

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-25          118456

Sorry, I didn't look past pics 1 and 17. Pic 18 looks very nice! She freehanded that? That's pretty impressive. I'm artistically impaired and envy anyone that has talent. ....

Canvases

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-25          118457

She was using a photo as a model and free handed it.
It has been a while since I have updated my pictures. I tried to highly compress them to get it down to 30 kb. oops!
I too fundimentals of design in 4th year of college. After no art through high school it was a struggle but need the fine arts credit and art appreciation was full. I would work diligently on the assigments for a C or C+ and was ready to pay for the art freshmans work.
My latest project is to build her an easel out of the lower half of a pine door I cut for a eave closet access door. I think it takes some talent to complete without plans considering the odd angles on the legs etc. I am sure it would be shunned by the artsies as they would rather spend a couple of hundred dollars, but it works and looks ok. ....

Canvases

View my Photos
dfkrug

2005-12-12          120922

Hey, Peters, that looks like an ARXX/Blue Maxx ICF house.
Nice.

I built my house myself using the Polysteel ICF product.
50% energy savings and dead quiet. ....

Canvases

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-12          120928

dfkrug; Yes BlueMaxx I made 2 structures. I am debating whether I will sell the scaffolds now. ....

Canvases

View my Photos
dfkrug

2005-12-13          120976

Peters, if you are talking about the adjustable scaffold braces sold for Insulated Concrete Form construction, you should not have trouble selling them and recouping your $100 or so per-unit cost. If you don't find a local ICF distributor willing to buy them, check out the forums on the icfweb.com.

I was involved in a couple dozen ICF projects, including 4 of my own. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login