Go Bottom Go Bottom

tractors for dummies

View my Photos
packmuleb
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-09-30          156952

I am looking for a dependable tractor for our property. General use bushhogging about 5 acres, moving horse manure, gravel drive grading etc. Never owned a tractor. I think 28 to 35 hp. $4,000.00 to $7,000.00. 4wd would be great but I'm sure it drives up the price. Any advice would be great. :)

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

tractors for dummies

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-01          156953

Packmuleb,

I looked at a large number of tractors, over a period of many years, hoping to find something that would handle my five acres, for about the same money you're looking to spend. I never had any luck finding what I was looking for in that price range.

You probably won't find what you need for at these prices. More than likely, you'll end up spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000 for a decent used tractor with a loader and mower deck.

Shop the used market. There are many nearly new tractors for sale right now, and at bargain prices. I'd be looking for something like a Kubota B2400, or the B7610. For a little more money, you could get yourself a Kubota B7800.

Here's one that I think would suit you well, and the price isn't too far out of your range. See the link below.

Joel ....

Link:   Kubota B2400, 4x4, Hydrostatic Trans, Loader, and Belly Mower

tractors for dummies

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-01          156954

My advice is to get advice. From a local tractor dealer. Here's why.

1. Subtle differences can be important. For instance, a car tire is just a tire but a tractor tire can be for traction on a construction site or for mowing a fine lawn. Take our advice, but also that of someone who knows your situation.

2. The work is done by the attachments and it's better to get them all as a package and with assurance that they're suitable for the tractor and the work at hand.

3. All machinery needs maintenance and servicing, and you will need instruction and tryouts. Owners rarely drive their tractor to the mechanic; either you fix it yourself, the tractor guy comes to your place, or they trailer it back to the dealer.

4. You'll need supplies: fuel, fluids, filters, parts, etc., and except for coolant and tire air, you'll need a place to get them (or in the case of fuel and fluids, information), and there's nothing like a well-stocked, nearby, cooperative dealer.

5. In a way tractors are easier to service than cars (e.g., components are more accessible) but in another way (for instance, their 50-year design life) they need more maintenance. It's important to get the documentation: at least the owners manual and perhaps a service manual, and a dealer is more likely than other sources to supply these. ....

tractors for dummies

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-10-01          156958

I think the first thing you need to know is how much manure you will be moving and how you expect the tractor to move it. If you have a lot or want to use a Front End Loader (FEL) for that the price and options are different than if you have one horse and will load by hand into a trailer. If you will be expecting to run inside of a horse barn with FEL smaller tractor would be good just for controls and seeing. Before you buy any used tractor or for that matter new with some labels out there, find out about PARTS. A $20 part you can not find stopping a $10,000 machine is not fun but happens.

I totally agree with what has already been posted. kt ....

tractors for dummies

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-10-01          156959

If you need a loader you'll want 4WD. When the bucket is full the tractor tends to pivot forward around the front axle, unloading weight from the rear tires. When that happens the rear tires get far less traction and you may not be able to back away from the pile. In cases like that you need the front wheels driving backwards. ....

tractors for dummies

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-10-01          156965

Let me add this. The upper range of the HP you're thinking of is about twice what you'd need. And you'd like something with a FEL and 4WD for as little as $4k. On a new tractor, just the added cost of those features would be about $4k. ....

tractors for dummies

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-10-01          156976

Lots of good advice here but I'll add my two cents worth along with it. Visit local dealerships that handle the big three in the compact world, Deere, Kubota, or Ford/New Holland. Don't get hung up on a particular brand, all three will have trade ins that will have been thru their shop and the later models may come with some short term warranty. If our economy is really as bad as the gloom and doomers tell us it is a good local dealer is going to be more than glad to have you as a happy customer. Frank. ....

tractors for dummies

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-10-01          156981

If I may add to Hardwood's thoughts, do check more than one dealership of each brand. I bought a used tractor a few years back it was amazing how much the used pricing varied in an hours drive. kt ....

tractors for dummies

View my Photos
packmuleb

2008-10-01          156990

thank you all. I figured I would have some homework to do. I don't have the funds for new tractor so I will just keep looking. Seems to me there are a lot of different options a particular model tractor may have, different transmissions, gearing etc. Any more imput would be appreciated. Especially what attachments I may want to start with for

Bushhogging 5-6 acres.

scooping manure in isleway of barn from 3-4 horses.

grading gravel drive 300 ft.

backhoe attachment???

thanks, ....

tractors for dummies

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-10-01          156993

Mower can be rear-attach or mid-(belly-)mount. Many pros and cons for each. Depends on how rough and level the acreage is.

That many horses can be mucked out with a shovel and wheelbarrow or, if there's access, with a tractor's rear blade (in which case you might want to get wings made and bolted on one or both ends of the blade to keep the manure from spilling out).

Grading can be done with the same blade.

Given your budget and experience I'd forget a hoe. ....

tractors for dummies

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-10-01          156994

Packmuleb,

The average "single tractor" owner always finds himself making compromises. Since we can't have five different tractors suited to perform special tasks around the home, we have to make do with a tractor that will perform "most" of our tasks.

In making these compromises, there are certain things we should NEVER skimp on. One of them is 4-wheel-drive. A small tractor has very little weight. Therefore, it is important to have all four wheels pulling, when traction becomes an issue. Traction is an issue with all small tractors. I use my 4-wheel drive a LOT.

You've already started down the right path by making a list of the chores your tractor will be expected to perform. One way to make your decision is to put all of your heavy chores down one side of a piece of paper, and a list of all light chores down the other side. When looking at tractors, you'll be able to cross off those chores that one tractor won't perform well. In the end, you'll want to pick a tractor that will perform most of your tasks very well, and perform some of them reasonably well.

I will give you one piece of advice.......if you're looking for a tractor primarily as a mowing machine, you'll want to go with a hydrostatic transmission. What a time saver! Mowing is a breeze with the hydro transmission, as is the case when cleaning out pens, stalls, or when working in other small areas. For loader work, nothing beats a hydro transmission.

You'll next want to consider tire selection. It's not an easy decision to make. Again, there are compromises to make here. The R4 (industrial tire) is a compromise between turf tires (little traction), and ag tires (Deep lug R1), where traction is at its best. Consider that ag tires will leave deep impressions in your sod, and may even tear out the sod when mowing during the wet seasons. Turf tires, on the other hand, will go easy on your lawn, but don't offer much, if any traction in the mud.

As a compromise, many people go with industrial tires (R4s). Again, these aren't perfect either. During the winter months, where snow and ice must be driven on, you'll find that turf tires will provide the best traction. If you need more traction in the ice and snow, a quality set of tire chains will do the trick.

When picking out a tractor and loader, please don't forget to take into account the height of the bed of the truck, or the height of the sidewall on your pickup. Some of the smaller tractors have a very difficult time clearing the side of a pickup with the loader.

For this reason, and many others, I'd stay away from the Sub-Compact Utility Tractors (SCUT), such as Kubota's BX series. They're VERY good tractors, but they aren't good for much. They have very small wheels, making for a much rougher ride. They also have very low clearances, making it difficult to travel over rough terrain. Worse yet, they have a very small 3-point hitch, making it much more difficult to find implements that work well with that smaller setup.

You'll find that you won't be making nearly as many compromises when selecting a Compact Utility Tractor (CUT), such as the Kubota B-Series, over the much small sub-compact, BX-Series.

Come back again. Other members here will likely have something to say in response to my comments here (hehehe), but it's good that you have the opportunity to read through all of the pros and cons.

Joel ....

tractors for dummies

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-10-02          156998

Packmuleb,
reread your first post. The term bushhogging is often used to mean ROUGH cut mowing. It happens to be a brand name that makes a lot of cutters both rough cut and finish (lawn quality). Are you wanting a tractor to cut pasture or lawn? If you will not be using on lawn I would prefer ag tires. If you find a true small farm tractor they weigh more than does the compact tractors so many use on their lawns and often with front end loaders. No doubt 4 wheel drive is desired with a FEL, with the weight difference the ag tractor has much more traction in 2 wheel drive than does the compact models even of same hp. The HST (hydrostat) trans I think Joel mentioned above is great for stop and go type use such as FEL work or cutting lawns or even short pulls with a blade if it requires pulling and then backing up. There is another option which I have never used but there are experts here on those and they will chime in probably. The traditional manuel is hard to beat depending on your use.

Notice a blade with wings was a suggestion and they had advantages but you may find a box blade would be all you need but they will not angle, only straight pulls and may not suit you on your drive.

Find friends with tractors that will let you play with them or dealership. On used I would not buy if I could not test it and not for a ride around the block unless you really know you can trust the seller. How you fit on the tractor or any other operator is also important. The way one model is laid out may suit you much more than another.

Do keep asking any questions, everybody here will be glad to help. kt ....

tractors for dummies

View my Photos
packmuleb

2008-10-03          157018

thanks. The hoe obviously would not be for the horses, unless I got lucky and had to bury them. Hope my wife doesn't see this. More for trenching, ditch diggiing, that kinda stuff. ....

tractors for dummies

View my Photos
EGasoos

2015-08-28          193452

Before you buy any used tractor or for that matter new with some labels out there, find out about PARTS. A $20 part you can not find stopping a $10,000 machine is not fun but happens.

Link:   tasche iphone 6s plus

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login