Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-23          77736

My dealer want to know where I want (or if I want) a couple hooks welded to the top of the bucket on my 16LA loader for my TC40. Any suggestions on how many hooks to have, and if so where to have them welded on?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-23          77738

I had two welded on, one right in front of each loader arm. If you have a heavy duty bucket you may not need additional support, but ask your dealer what they recommend. The best jobs have extra support around the hooks to prevent the bucket from bending under heavy loads. ....

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2004-02-23          77739

I've had hooks welded on buckets for 4 different CUT's. All have been attached on the bucket upper lip in front of the arm attachment. All buckets were standard, not the HD, from JD. Lifted/pulled/leveraged a lot of loads and never had any affect on the bucket. In fact, some jobs were so overmatched for the tractors that I was concerned the FEL was going to be pulled off the mounting posts, but the hooks and their mounts never suffered any damage.
Also, my suggestion is to use 5/16" clevis hooks. This size will grab 1/4" - 3/8" chain. You don't need larger chain with a CUT. Use a grinder to flatten the back side of the hook and the loop for good weld sites. Mighty handy.
jim

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-02-23          77742

I have 2 larger slip hooks, one in front of each loader arm. And a 3/8 grab hood welded in the center of the bucket.
This setup works real well for me. ....

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-23          77745

I had originally thought to wait and see where I want them and weld them on myself, then I said, " DAH!!" And told the dealer to the center. He suggested 2 infront of the loader arms like all of you have said. I will inform him to put 2 infront of the arms and I am considering anouther in the middle (sounds like a good idea for straight pulls with only one cable.
Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure. ....

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-02-23          77750

I use the center hook quite often moving around implements, or loading them on the trailer.
I just butt the bucket against the the front of the implement, I have a short piece of chain with a grab hook,throw chain around implement top link pin,hook chain in center bucket hook,roll bucket blade against implement frame lift and go.estimated time- 30 seconds.
Bucket hooks, picture # 8 in my photos. ....

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-02-24          77761

Timberridge, I too flattened the back of a pair of grab hooks, welded them to the upper corners of the bucket of my 430 Deere loader. Next day a neighbor stoped by asking why I did'nt buy the hooks that are made to weld on that have the back allready flat. My answer was where were you a week ago ? I did'nt know they were available. Live and learn I guess. Frank. ....

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
BillBass

2004-02-24          77762

I would put 3 on. I have 3 and the center one I probably use more than the side ones. ....

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-02-24          77765

I would go with 3. I only have 2 and I am afraid of spraining the loader arms by using one side picking up something heavy. I'm thinking about having a center one put on for picking up rocks and what not. ....

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-24          77768

A center hook has better balance but make sure the bucket is strengthened enough. There are thousands of buckets out there with the tops bent down that had hooks were welded in the center. Hooks welded over the lift arms should be stronger because of the bucket bracing.

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
Peters

2004-02-24          77772

Hard Wood
Tell him that the flattened hooks for welding are harder to find. There is another post where someone found a site for them but not all local dealers have them.

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-02-24          77775

The center is the best place, providing the bucket is reinforced. Side hooks, if not loaded properly and equally will cause unnecessary wracking or twisting of the loader arms. You can actually overturn a heavily laden loader in the fully raised position whether the the hook is in the middle or not if the loader is canted to one side (it acts like a big pendlum). Even on flat ground---without even moving the machine---with one side hook used you can overturn the loader (don't ask!!!!!!!). ....

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-24          77791

There are slide hooks specifically designed for welding in place on equipment, most often you see them on the back of an excavator bucket.

We have one on ours and it is indispensible.

Anybody who is interested can find the hooks at the link below, and you will see they are available in capacities ranging from 1 to 10 tons working load limit (ultimate load is 5 times). They are made by Crosby Group, a huge company with dealers all over the place. Ask any dealer to order the one you want by the part number, there are also dealers who sell via the net.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Crosby weld-on hooks

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-02-24          77793

Many of the hooks that I have seen on large Caterpillars and so forth have been cut out of flat steel rather than purchased. 1/2" cold rolled steel should be adequate for most CUTs. Most of the ones that I have seen have been slip hooks. If you cut them out of steel plate, you can put whatever contour you need on the back to match your loader bucket and reinforcement. ....

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-02-24          77801

This may be slightly off subject, but, I’ve seen in different, but similar, applications where you have plate steel, the use of a hole and slot type of gizmo. Where you would have an 1.5” diameter hole with a 0.38” adjoining slot in the same direction as the load. You drop several links of chain through the hole, and then pull a link into the slot, where by the next link keeps the chain from pulling through. I would imagine that you would need to reinforce the hole with heavier plate if the bucket is fairly light gauge steel.

Anyone ever try something this?

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
harvey

2004-02-25          77834

I made mine that way out of 3/8 plate. Only I welded them to the top of the bucket. ....

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-02-25          77910

I bought 2 weld-on 3/8" grab hooks from my local Deere/Kubota dealer. Cost $6.70 each, less than a hook with clevis.
Peek at pic #19, if you like.
bliz ....

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
Lou_Braun

2004-03-20          80484

After a bit of head-scratching, I ended up bolting two tow hooks to the top edge of the FEL just in front of the lift arms. These are standard 10K tow hooks and are held on by a couple of 1/2" bolts.

There are bolt-on hooks that use three bolts and thsee would also work well.

A 3/8" chain type hook mounted in the middle of the FEL sounds like a good idea. I'm thinking of reinforcing the bucket with some 3/8" flat bar and then attaching the hook. A bolt-on setup might be the way to go.

Lou Braun

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
mohican

2005-04-21          110199

ShortMagnum is right her. THe center of the bucket is the weakest point. I have seen many bent buckets because the center hook was not welded on without putting a stongback on the bucket top first. Just a chock behind the lip will not be sufficient for heavy loads. The strongback should be longitudinally across the back of the bucket top to transfer the load. I work as a Structural Design Supervisor in Newport News Shipbuiding, and am very familiar with structural supports. If you are only going to have two hooks, (one on each bucket top end)just sling the load w/5/16" proof coil chain between them to equalize the load. I have picked up stumps like this with no problem or loader arm twisting. ....

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-04-21          110202

I was unloading my tiller a few weeks ago using chains and the hooks on the fel. I could not get right on top of the tiller because it was still crated up and the crate was pretty tall. No problem right? LOL. My buddy was watching while I was doing this and could not belive I was so cautious! The tiller is under a thousand pounds but the way I had it rigged I had to raise the fell super high. I could NOT pull the trailer out from under it cause of where I was. I had to slowly back up. Also I was backing "UP" a sloped gravel driveway. As the tiller started swaying, I was getting nervous. Was able to safely lower it when I cleared the trailer but my buddy was still amazed at how nervous I was. I told him you would NOT believe the amount of force that is exerted in a pendulum action of a swinging load! Plus backing UP a bumby drive added to the tension. I could of smashed my trailer and dumped my tractor along with the tiller crashing to the ground all at the same time! Yes! Caution was in deed necessary in doing what I did!LOL ....

Hooks on bucket

View my Photos
dfkrug

2005-04-24          110280

I see how much my loaders have twisted when I lift heavy things (800+ lb) with hooks on the sides. I now only lift with centrally-mounted grabber hooks welded the center of the BACK of the loader or fork. The best setup, IMHO, is the chunk of 1/2" steel with MULTIPLE 3/8" slots cut into it for a choice of positions, again welded to the back center of the loader, not the top. Easier to weld on, too, as AC5Z0 says.

I also have the chain grabber mentioned by ScooterMagee. I use it to hoist engines and such.....very easy to reposition. It could work well on a loader, too. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login