Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor Implements Category 1 vs Category 0

View my Photos
ajp2927
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-09-04          145368

what is the difference between a category 1 tractor implement compared to category 0

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-05          145369

Ajp2927,

Category 0 - 5/8" hitch pins, with appx. 20" distance between lower lift arms.

Category 1 = 7/8" hitch pins, with appx. 26" distance between lower lift arms.

Basically, the size of the triangle formed between the lift points is quite a bit smaller on the category 0 implement. The attaching pins are also much smaller in diameter.

Joel

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-05          145370

.. and it seems manufacturers take some latitude with the "standard". Several manufacturers also sell limited cat-1 hitches but they can't agree on the limitations. From what I understand limited Cat-1 has most of the dimensions of Cat-1 but a limited lift height. ....

View my Photos
bvance

2007-09-05          145371

And on some pieces of attachments, the manufacturer installs the CAT 0 pins on the inside of the frame of the implement (pointing in or toward each other)and the CAT 1 pins on the outside (pointing out)so it can be used on either a CAT 0 or a CAT 1 tractor.

Brian ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-09-05          145372

And there is the overall width or size of the implement too; generally the larger the piece, the larger the Category. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-09-05          145375

Category 0 implements are targeted for subcompact tractors so that subcompact buyers can have a selection of implements that are smaller and lighter in weight than Category 1 implements. This enables smaller machines to perform the same tasks but at a slower rate than the larger compact tractors.

You should also note that this also means that the selection of implements available for Category 0 is also smaller than Category 1. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-09-14          145756

Dennis the original catagory 0 was used as the next step up from the sleeve hitch style on garden tractors. The Cadet super series was one as well as I believe the 400 series deeres and all the larger frame garden tractors.
Catagory 1 has been around since the old legend 8N style three point hitch. I believe it was the first or at least the best known as there were many other styles that tried to take over like the fast hitch from IH, the eagle claw of Case and there was about one for every tractor manufacturer.

There are many three point hitch attachments that are what we call more universal in design that is to the dealers benifit as well as to the manufacturers! By simply changing the pins from the outside to the inside a attachment might go from a 1 to 2 in hich catagory.
The original design BX as well as the other manufacturers do to the height of the hitch is where the 0-1 catagory comes from or as some call seem to be calling it here limited catagory 1. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-09-15          145764

Art, the 3pt hitch as we know it was actually invented by Ferguson, and then used in conjunction with Henry Ford on his 9N and 2N's. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-09-15          145766

Old Henry and Mr. Ferguson were pretty sharp fellows, no body has really improved too much on their basic mechanical principles. An interesting note on Henry Ford. My wife's Grandfather worked for Henry Ford in I have no idea what year. What ever Grandpad did for Henry he knew the man personally, I've heard Grandpa remark about what a genius Henry was, but also that he was the hardest man to work for that he ever knew. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-09-15          145767

Earthworks,
I was trying to keep it as easy as possible and the most people relate to the early fords more then the Massey but you are correct. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-09-15          145773

o prob'm Art. It's just that I had a 2N, and it seems the 8N is the only one people know about or remember. And not to split hairs, but for "accuracy sake" ;) wasn't it Harry Ferguson who made a tractor nearly identical with Ford's but it was only called "Ferguson" ("50" or some number like that???). Mr. Massey came much later into the picture if memory serves---an' trust me, it don't always serve LOL ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-09-15          145775

Frank you are so very correct. I live in the area Ford had his many soybean farms (I've heard he had as many as 50 farms) (soybeans were used to make paint and plastics). In fact, this past Spring I worked on rebuilding one his barns built in 1893. I have a friend that worked for Henry when he was a kid (he's in his 70's now). He has one of the original, never used, demonstrator tractors. He is in several promotional photos with Ford also. And being "hard to work for" still survives today---one of Ford's many dubious distinctions (another legacy he left wasa city of Inkster, Michigan which was built by Ford to house his balck workers----think: looks like the worst parts Detroit).

It is the Corporate culture of Ford. Many of my customers work for Ford (as does sme of my family). Since I live and work in/near the Motor City where the (former) Big 3 are, I work for all the 3's employees at one time or another. Ford workers are by far the most difficult to work for. Why? They carry the same mentality their founder did, which is basically, "I want it for nothing, and YOU WILL like it. AND while you are it, throw this in for free too". Or the other one is "Oh I don't wanna do it. SO you do it for me and I'll watch"

Sad, but true. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login