Go Bottom Go Bottom

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-03          131661

Any sugestions on what type (name) spike tooth drag to get?
Been putting this off for awhile and now I have a need for it beyond (just to make my life easier LOL) the old excuse.
I see there is one that is made in my state (Wisconsin), maybe I will check em out and make sure it is really MADE here and not just packaged (with made in hina in 1/16" stamped letters under a weld)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
reason201
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-05          131733

I got my drag harrow at TSC, it is not too big and is set up in two sections. Mine is 4 foot by 8 foot but can be used as a 4 X 4 if needed. It workes equally as well behind the CUT as it does behind the 4 wheeler. You can use it with spikes down and facing forward for deeper digging or spike facing rearward for less digging, or just flip it over and leave the spiles up for draging a seedbed after planting.

Good luck ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
reason201
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-05          131735

Here is a link to it... hope this helps

Link:   Drag Harrow

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
Peters

2006-07-05          131742

I have one like that sitting here in AL. I have not used it in a few years since I seeded the lawn. The thing you need to watch is that it is hardened steel. Maybe I should sell you mine? ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-07-05          131747

A big thing to watch for before buying, is diameter. If it's less than 5/8" hardened chisel-point steel, keep looking.

//greg// ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-06          131752

brokenarrow,

What are your plans on this? Will you be using it often and for what? Will you be using it with your 3 pth?

If you really want the old style spike tooth drag you may can find one or two from an older farmer. In my part of the world they are not used on the farm any longer and often are in the way. ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-06          131758

Depending on what you want it for, you might have more use out of a pulverizer than a drag harrow.

They are really simple to make yourself and can be used for a bunch of stuff other than finishing off a seedbed.

Have a look at YooperPete's picture # 8 for the one he made. Basically all you need is a few feet of heavy I-beam, and some 5/8" square stock or 1/2" flat bar.

Best of luck. ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-07-15          132232

I would be using it for my food plots for deer/turkey. I do not have a planter for larger seeds. Smaller seeds I have no problem with broadcasting and cultipacking to get the seed to soil contact I need. Infact I have excellent success 100 % of the time that way. Its the bean seeds or corn that I have problems trying to regulate the depth after broad casting. The disk is real hard to judge how deep you burring them and also it moves with the tractor (IE up down etc). A spike tooth drag is the ultimate for this seeing that you can adjust the aggressiveness hence the depth you need while at the same time leveling the plot off real nice.
It may also come in handy at the new homesight when I get to the point of finish clearing the soil of debris and then in the seeding process of course.
At one time I used a boxspring mattress that I burned the mattress out of leaving just the box springs. That works great but as you build up the debris it tends to get alot of soil build up. Also it does not do the job like a spike tooth would.
Yes I would be using this thing every year bought 2-3 times a year on about 2.5 acres. I planted 3 fields this spring in soybeans. Only ONE of them really came up nice. The other two I had problems trying to get the seed to the right depth. I tried to use my landscape rake, Big mistake LOL. They are round up ready soys, so, I just sprayed the plots last week also killing off the clover field I have had. The wind was perfect so I did not get any on my 28 pumkin plants which are doing well!
I will be planting winter wheat in any of the plots that did not meet my expectations.
Phew! Thats the story on why I need one and how often I will use it.

Peters

I will pay shipping, If you want to sell her (I wouldnt though, you have it and may someday need it again) but if you still want to sell her let me know what you want? ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
Peters

2006-07-15          132234

Mine is 5/8 inch and quite heavy. You would be killed in shipping. For some reason I was thinking you were earthwks as he is in MS. I am heading down there this week so could have dropped it off. If I build a pond I will need it again. ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-17          132281

brokearrow,

If that is what you want check around with older farmers.

Over the years I have done some broadcasting and disking in seeds. No corn but have grain and soybeans with good success. If you are having a problem with the disk cutting too deep, try decreasing the angle of the blades. That should move less dirt giving you less coverage.

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-07-17          132284

If you are handy, you can make your own. Walk up and down your local railroad track and pick up loose spikes- you'll need about 4 dozen. Get pipe about 2 1/2" diameter O.D. and cut to length desired to make the harrows width. Cut the number of pipes to determine how many rows you want. With drill press drill a series of equally spaced holes like a foot apart that are a slight press fit with the rr spikes. Stagger them so rows 1, 2, 3 etc. all cut a different path. The rows should be about 1 to 11/2 ft. apart. Weld side straps to hold it together in a box. Tilt the holes (teeth) about 15 degrees from vertical so the tip of the spikes point rearward. Weld a length of chain to the front pipe section. If its weight isn't enough to get all the penetration you want, put a board on top and lay sinder blocks on it for weight.

Pull it with a clevis thru the chain attached to your drawbar. Raising the 3point hitch to the desired height will adjust how hard the first row of spikes hits. If you put a cross bolt through the chain just behind the clevis to pinch it together it will stay centered. ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
jerryc101

2006-10-05          135706

i made one out of 1/4 X 4 in angle iron. each rail is 6 foot long, you need 4 of these and 2 rails for the sides, not to expensive, and i walked along the railroad, picking up the old spikes that they lost or discarded about 60 of them, welded the head to the inside of the L and at the top. used a large 2" chain to pull attached to each side with a clevis in the center. IT WORKS GREAT AND WAS CHEAP. i can make it 3 point very easy. ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
ksmmoto

2006-10-05          135736

I bought a Howse from Northern Tool several years ago. It works well, I did add farmers weight (several large rocks) and use it to work up the driveway.

ksmmoto ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
kwolfe

2006-10-16          135981

Are the TSC bought heavy enough to disturb hard clay. If not, can you throw something (rocks, blocks) ont top to add additional wieght? ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
jerryc101

2006-10-20          136119

My land is hard clay, and a TSC would not stand up to the stress placed on it. It would work for a while but the sections would either bend or break the bolts. If you go to a metal pipe or place where you can buy 1/4 in angle you can usually pick up what they call cut-offs at a big discount and make a very strong one as mentioned in the above discussions. mine cost me less than 40.00 and is heavy enough to do any type of dragging, i even use it to drag my gravel road to loosen it up before gradeing it.
hope it works out for you. ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
RiverRidge

2010-06-05          171355

Here we are... six years later, brokenarrow.... What did you do?

We cleared 4 acres, pulled the stumps, and are using the scarifier teeth on a box blade to removed the big roots.

Now we have bits and pcs of roots, branches, etc. that we need to clear before planting with cover crops.

It looks like a frame or spike harrow would be the ticket, but after purchasing a tiller and the box blade, we haven't much extra cash.

What do you suggest?

Many thanx............. jt ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-06-05          171357

I'm selling my chain harrow if you're interested; 8'x 8' framed and with boom for three point hitch use. Use it with or without the boom. It will collect all that debris you describe, drag it to where ever you want to pile it, then drop off when you lift it with the three point hitch.

//greg// ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
RiverRidge

2010-06-06          171366

Hi, Greg.......

Can we go off-line? Please send me what you want for it? I would have to figure out shipping. my email is

jim at squirrelridgefarm point com

Thanx......... jt ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-06-06          171383

Email w/photo sent. Shipping would be a bugger, there's no way to fold this thing up. You'll see what I mean when the photo arrives. I'd think it'd likely be cheaper to come get it yourself.

//greg// ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-06-07          171394

You should be sure what you need to remove to begin with. If you are planting a cover crop with a whirly bird and covering with a disk you may be fine as is. A landscape rake with all teeth on it will catch a lot of trash that will present little issue to such planting. Disking often helps a lot. If you are using planters you may be fine just running real slow. I would not want to plant soybeans on top of a lot of trash due to combine picking it up. ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-06-07          171403

Do you have hydraulic top link? I do and find it along with my boxblade indispensible for cleaning up debris which I do commercially--it works both forward and backward. I have two spring rakes one of which is hydraulically rotatable---both have not been used since 2003. ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-08          171412

KT; I bought a landscape rake to clean up rocks, pieces of roots, etc. when we built the house and it did work pretty well, I use it now to level crushed rock and sometimes move snow, so they do have several uses.
Every community has someone who buys scrap metal, old farm equipment, etc. Ask them if they have an old harrow out of someones grove or fencerow, sometimes they are junk, sometimes not, and the price would likely be right. ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
RiverRidge

2010-06-09          171445

I think shipping to the hinterlands would be the killer. I really like the photo, however, and am searching the used farm implement dealers in the my area.

Thanks! ....

Spike tooth drag harrow

View my Photos
Murf

2010-06-09          171453

We do most of our trash cleanup prior to replanting with nothing more than a section of chain-link fencing.

A pipe across the lead edge with a chain bolted to each end of it form a V-shaped hitch another pipe across the back edge. You can add more pipes side-to-side across it in the mid-section if you want more weight.

A 3pth frame to pick it up or just a cheap 'gin pole' from TSC works fine.

We rarely spend more than about $100 at the local fence supply place to make them up, leftover or used 8' high heavy commercial fence works terrific.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login