Go Bottom Go Bottom

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-07          149979

I have been following my own version of the South Beach diet minus the first two week regime since November 2006.

For my approach I:

-eliminated all types of desserts (cakes,pies,cookies...)
-eat only whole grain breads
-have Bobs Red Mill Oatmeal every day
-eliminated milk and cheese
-eat lots of fresh fruit and 16 ounces of plain yogurt a day
-black coffee, diet soda, and water to drink
-no potatoes or carrots but lots of vegetables like Broccoli, String beans , brussel sprouts etc.
-Eat lots of walnuts (add to oatmeal and as a snack with wheat chex)
-Whole grain rice occasionally
-lean meats and poultry
-no gravy
-no white bread
-no Alcohol

For fast food Wendys chili and grilled chicken (toss the bun) is my staple. Eat Paneras whole grain miche for bread.

OK if you do all of that I got a cholestoral score of 159 with NO medication. My cholestoral was always over 220 before. And I lost about 30 pounds and back to a size 34 waist.

I would have been very unhappy if with all those changes I had made no progress :(.

When I travel I have to pack the oatmeal and walnuts so I stay on the regime. It can be challenging when you are with other business people, but it is doable.

Dennis

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-07          149985

Dennis, I'm curious, why not potatoes or carrots?

Potatoes for instance are an excellent source of all kinds of good stuff, you get more potassium from a medium potato than from a banana, and it also has nearly half your daily requirement of Vitamin C, it's also high in fibre (~10% of the dialy suggested amount, more than most 'whole grain' products) as well as thiamin, riboflavin, folate, magnesium, calcium, phosphorous, iron and zinc. All that and no fat, cholesteral or fat!!

Inquiring minds........

Best of luck. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-07          149987

Purportedly carrots are high in sugar, I have some raw carrots in salad, eating tons of carrots for cravings is probably not that good when trying to lose weight. I know that in the past I thought eating carrots was a good diet strategy for between meals and I found it hard to lose weight and I was always hungry. Now I eat a snack mix of walnuts and wheat Chex and spoonsize shreaded wheat for a between meal snack or a slice of Paneras whole grain bread and a piece of fruit like an apple and I am not hungry.

On the potatoes for me I was trying to eliminate some things from my menu that I ate alot of, potatoes was a big one, meat and potatoes was the main deal (baked, mashed, oven roasted and French fried) around here. Vegetables and fruits rotted in the frig. I also consumed a lot of milk and cereal with sugar.

So eliminating some favorites like pasta,milk, potatoes,sugar etc. shifted the whole family to fresh fruits and fresh vegetables and whole grain products (my wife and kids still eat all of those foods but less than they did). It forced us to modify our behavior. For me it was simpler than portion control, the only reason you have a fat dog is if you feed him too much not what you feed him ;)

I think SB frowns on potatoes because they might be high in starch and lower in fiber, or perhaps like I said they are every where in all the fast food places and the fact they are a preferred food which displaces other vegetable choices.

One of my kids favorites now is steamed broccoli al dente with a tomato meat sauce, in preference to pasta :)

As far as the South Beach diet, I scanned the book in a book store and picked up the key idea that you should eat more vegetables, more fiber, and eat less of the stuff the majority of people that are overweight eat. I put the book back on the shelf and said OK I can do that and I have been doing my own simplified version ever since. I think the meal and menu planning given out by SB in their books is just too painful, I am not a calorie counter. ....

Link:   Food Fiber content

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-01-07          149989

It took me 15 months to lose 80 lbs with LA Weight Loss. It's sort of funny, my wife wanted to do it and dragged me along kicking and screaming. It's been 50 weeks since reaching my goal weight and it's still off. Holidays are a bit challenging, and I'll still have a piece of pie or pizza periodically, but it's worked out great for me. I've never had a cholesterol or blood pressure problem but both are lower than they were before.

PS - when I need to eat out I always look for a Wendy's and eat their Chicken BLT salad with one packet of fat-free french dressing. That's a heck of a salad for the price and it seems to stick with me for a few hours. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-07          149991

An average medium potatoe has 9% of your daily suggested intake of Carbohydrates, but of that 9% only 1% is sugar, the other 8% is fibre.

If you compare "suggested serving sizes" of different vegetables to potatoes you might be surprised.

Brussell sprouts have 55% more calories, and 75% more carbs,

Broccolli has slightly more calories and more fat,

Peas have 300% of the calories, and 170% more carbs.

Oh, and to compare, Paneras whole grain miche (NOTE: a serving size of this product is 57 grams, a potatoe is 148 grams, or 2.6 times larger) has 320 mg more Sodium, and slightly more carbs than a potatoe does.

Best of luck. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-07          149992

Ken it's funny but Wendy's seems to be one of the fast food chains where the fast food tastes a little better and non fried selections can be made that are healthier alternatives.

I always use Google maps on my phone to see if one is in the area when I am traveling.

In Canada the McDonalds in the Toronto area allowed you to order a side salad with a combo instead of fries, but that has not happened in this market. Although the whole idea of MD is so anti healthy I rarely go there with the family unless we have no other option. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-07          149993

I don't know about down there, but up here Subway has great salads too. My good lady has some pretty severe food allergies and our dining out options, especially at fast food joints, is severely limited, as are her choices.

The only problem is that they use the same shredded lettuce that they use as a topping on their salads.

Best of luck. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-07          149994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 149991
An average medium potatoe has 9% .......

I could not agree with you more about the praises of Potatoes and how ridiculous it can seem to slander the health benefits of the Potato.

Moderation and diversification are wise practices and if applied will get great results if you can adhere to a program. For me potatoes, white bread, and pasta were wonderful foods, only problem was I had an addiction to them. I find it easier to cut out some favorites and diversify easier than it is to use moderation as the primary control, though moderation is always implicit in any weight loss or maintenance plan. All of us have different approaches to what works.

PS I don't eat peas either because they are too sweet ;) ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-01-08          150033

Congrads to you guys that have lost the weight. I lost 70 lbs. a few years ago, 250 - 180, then lost my will and gained it all back plus a few. Quitting smoking was easy, quitting Copenhagen was a real tough one, but I just can't seem to stick to a diet. The Mrs. says I need to subscribe to one of those mail order deals where they send you a month's worth of meals. Has anyone tried that? I'm fat and happy, but I know I'm not fat and healthy. Frank. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-08          150036

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 150033
.......The Mrs. says I need to subscribe to one of those mail order deals where they send you a month's worth of meals. Has anyone tried that? I'm fat and happy, but I know I'm not fat and healthy.Frank.

Frank,

My wife's two sisters have done the meal delivery thing the first one was very successful on it, and bought the program for her sister. They both lost weight, but ultimately they gained it all back.

Fortunately for my wife she has never had to go on a diet, must be that nervous energy she has :)

You have to find something that works for you. For me some sort of pattern works. Right now I am doing the whole grain, fresh fruits and and vegetables, lean meats lower starch approach.

In the early 90's I used to take a baking potato to work and microwave it at the office for lunch and eat it plain. If I went out for lunch I had a Lettuce Tomato Onions hot peppers and mustard veggie sandwich on a sub roll. Then I would have lots of salad and lean meat for dinner. I combined that with lots of aerobic exercise with a bicycle club. I used to do100 mile bicycle rides in one day on the weekends, I was pretty obsessive. Got my waist to a 33 inch and weight 10 pounds over High School.

But with a family growing I no longer had the time to spend all day out with the club.

I believe you have to make changes to your behavior that you can find a way to sustain over time, and may be a very different approach for each of us. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-01-08          150049

It is very hard to keep the weight off. You just have to get into a routine and stay there. If you fall off the wagon, which is easy to do during the holidays or when on vacation, you have to climb right back on. It would be great if you could take the weight off and never worry about it again but, unfortunately, that's not our lot in this life. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-08          150052

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 149989
It took me 15 months to lose 80 lbs ........

Ken 80 pounds that is quite an accomplishment! ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-01-08          150056

Thanks, Dennis, it was hard but worth it. I went from 295 to 215, and then rose to 220 which was my original goal. I'm now trying to lose another 20, we'll see how that goes. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
drcjv.

2008-01-08          150069

Dennis your efforts are comendable if I might give a few suggestions, I have been working with nutrition in my practice for 20 years. The program you are following is very good. 3 years ago I found out I had a 90, 95, and many 20,30and 40% blockages in my heart the 90 and 95 were at a tee and a stent was not an option as opening one would block the other. Even if a stent could be used I would not have had it done as overall morbidity is not improved. I started a reversal diet total vegatarian no white flower or sugar no oil of any kind. I lost 80lbs and my cholesteral is 122 the goal should be <150. Sum suggestions: If it had a face or a mother don't eat it as the animal protiens play a big part in causing heartattacks, soy milk is a great replacment for cows milk, stay away from fruit juice too much sugar, a few nuts are ok but they are mostly all fat,you can get a sweet treat once in awhile by having a piece of dark chocolate the darker the better. of course the real challenge is eating out. You can almost always find a subway wherever you are they have salads and no fat dressing sweet onoin and honey mutard they also have a veggie sandwhich and alot have veggie patty sand. you can eat chinese, steamed veggie and brown rice, veggie pizza no cheese also around her there are several mexican chains that all have vegatarian food Baja Freash, qdoba, and California tortilla These diets are not easy but the fact is 95% of all degenerative disease could be avoided with diet. Also there is no problem eating carrots or potatoes unless thats all you eat and that would be the same for anything. thanks and keep with it ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-01-08          150070

You can't ignore the genetic factor. I eat 8-12 oz of meat a day and my cholesterol and blood pressure are as good as anyones. On the other hand, a very good friend of mine with no weight problem had severe heart troubles and a quadruple bypass. After that experience he began chelation, a strict vegetarian regime, exercised an hour/day, and a year after the bypass his arteries were clogged again. And he is VERY strict on his diet. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-09          150087

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcjv. | view 150069
....... 3 years ago I found out I had a 90, 95, and many 20,30and 40% blockages in my heart the 90 and 95 were at a tee and a stent was not an option as opening one would block the other.......

Doc, have they been able to measure the blockage levels now that you have been on the new health regime?

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
drcjv.

2008-01-09          150094

kwschumm genetic predisposition is definitly important but good genetics can be overcome with poor diet and life style very easily. Also you say your cholesterol is as good as any, good in this case can be a relative term many physicians think a total cholesterol of 200 is good. It really should be < = to 150 to really lower the risk of cardiovascular disease. weight ,cholesterol levels and amount of excercise are also not always good indicators of health remember Jim Fix. Studies have shown at autopsy that the average american male has the beginings of cardiovascular disease by age 21. The only way you can truly know your situation is by having a heart cath done or some advanced imaging which is not offered everywhere. Bypasses alone are temporary at best because you have not stopped the reason for the blockage in the first place. Also you are trying to make a vien work like an artery and they have very different morphology. Not to mention what happens in your brain when they clamp off your aorta an all the sludge in it is pushed up into your brain. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-01-09          150097

It's been about a year, but IIRC my cholesterol was in the 117 range (whatever it was the doctor was impressed) and BP is generally in the 110/70 range.

I have no proof but for years I've been suspicious of the prevailing wisdom regarding cholesterol (hey, don't take it personal, I'm suspicious of prevailing wisdom on most topics :) ). Maybe high cholesterol levels are a symptom of a deeper problem and not a primary cause for cardiovascular problems.

A couple of years ago I read an article by a researcher whose theory about cholesterol indicated similar thoughts. His theory was that cholesterol was manufactured by the body to repair damage to the walls of veins and arteries. High cholesterol levels indicate that either 1) the body is responding to genuine arterial problems that are not being healed by this mechanism, or 2) that the bodies mechanism that manufactures cholesterol went haywire. To me this theory makes more sense than the idea that cholesterol is strictly a byproduct of what one eats, but either way high cholesterol is certainly an indicator of problems. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
drcjv.

2008-01-09          150107

Dennis I have not had another heart cath done because of the risk involved. This is the test I would need to have a valid comparison. I am going to have a stress test in feb and am considering some imaging eventhough I don't have an original to compare to it would be a good baseline going into the future. I have seen before and after cath studies on other patients on the same program and there is reversal noted. You will not go from 90% to 10% but the important thing is the lesion does not progress. The vast majority of MIs come not from 80 and 90% blocks but from the 30,40 and 50s these are more dangerous since they are less mature and can rupture much more easily. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
drcjv.

2008-01-09          150108

Kwschumm you are correct cholesterol only plays apart in cv disease the # one component is animal protiens and enzymes that cause the plaques to rupture. In areas of the world like rural china and pre wwII japan where the diet is totally plant based there was and is no cv disease. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
drcjv.

2008-03-04          151901

Update on reversal diet. I had a stress test last week. It has now been 3 years on a plant based diet. results are as follows:

1. Uncontrolled BP of 225/156 on many meds now
124/80 on a few meds
2. lost 80lbs
3. cholesterol from 230 to 125, LDL from 143 to 56

4. no digestive problems and work like I did 25
years ago
5. Last but not least noted increase in perfusion
of heart in area effected before by plaques. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-03-04          151902

Nice Job!

LDL of 56 is really low, it is great when all of your work gets results :)

Dennis ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
cutter

2008-03-05          151926

Nice job with the numbers! I could easily become a vegetarian but the wife would have nothing to do with it. So I go the opposite way and have been back on Atkins since the first of the year.

I did Atkins five years ago, lost almost fifty pounds and then maintained my weight for three more years. Once I went off Atkins and started eating starches again, I gained twenty pounds in less than two years.

No matter what the diet, my cholesterol goes up and down with the actual pounds I gain or lose. Same with my BP and blood sugar. After trying so many different diets over the years my belief is that low body fat and regular exercise are the key to good health. How you get there is fairly irrelevant as long as your intake of nutrients is up to par.

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-05          151928

I tried a different plan, I lost 135 pounds in one weekend.

Wife moved out.

BP way down, stress way down, 20 pounds less of me.

I eat lots of veggies, both direct and indirectly (after it's part of a cow) and fresh fruit.

Exercise is mandatory or Deputy Dog goes crazy on me. For every mile I walk he and his sister do probably 5 miles.

As Cutter says, don't matter how you get there, as long as it's a good place.

Best of luck. ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-09-28          180632

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcjv. | view 151901
Update on reversal diet. I had a stress test last week. It has now been 3 years on a plant based diet. ...

Hi Doc,

Can you give me an update on how you are doing on your regimen. I have been doing OK on mine with only small diversions, but my BP has been creeping up too much, like to avoid meds, but it is hard, and have not kept up with the exercise needed to keep it down, only gettting out once or twice a week.

PS my 17 year old nephew just get a 2004 Mustang GT, he would love that ride you have :)

Dennis ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
drcjv.

2011-09-29          180644

Dennis good to hear from you. I am doing well, into this program about 6 1/2 years now. Gained back about 16 of the 80 pounds I lost. I also do not excecise as much as I should. Since we last spoke I bought a 40ft Motorhome and have been traveling alot. Just bought my 13 yr old a Cub Cadet 1872 super garden tractor. We have enjoyed puttering around with it this past month. Still have the Mustang he won't let me sell it and it will still keep up with traffic if need be. Thanks for the up date.

Doc ....

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-09-29          180645

When I started I had a 38 inch waist I got it down to 34 and I have kept it there, on the weight I had lost 30 lbs, I gained 8 to 10 back.

On the diet my wife is still trying to kill me by not cooking and bringing high sodium and high fat food home. Penalties of marrying a younger woman who can stay slim regardless of what she eats.

On the diet I have slipped a bit:
-(no change) eliminated all types of desserts (cakes,pies,cookies...)
-(change) eat only whole grain breads, eat more white than I should
-(no change) have Bobs Red Mill Oatmeal every day
-(change) eliminated milk and cheese have nonfat milk and occasional cheese
-(change) eat lots of fresh fruit and not as much yogurt
-(change) black coffee, NO diet soda only water to drink
-(change) occasional potatoes much lower vegetables like Broccoli, String beans , brussel sprouts etc. much more salad
-Eat lots of walnuts (add to oatmeal and as a snack with wheat chex)
-change very little to never Whole grain rice
-lean meats and poultry
-no gravy
-no Alcohol
-No Wendys McD etc.

Over the winter I was under alot of stress BP was off the charts. Started rigorous exercise program, spin 45 min to hour 5 times a week. It helped but it is short lived unless you keep it up. Changed jobs... new job initially even more stressful... no time for exercise. Two kids in HS, one starts college next year.....

I think I have missed the critical ingredient in your program...."the Mobile Home"... and the time to enjoy life.

Are you still off meat? and are you trying to reduce sodium?

South Beach Diet Results

View my Photos
drcjv.

2011-10-03          180673

Dennis sorry it took so long to get back to you I was traveling. I strongly recomend the motorhome. Yes I am still a vegan and would also strongly recommend you give up the meat and dairy very bad with HBP and cardio disease. switch to soy milk also need to watch total fruit intake due to high amount of sugar. I also watch salgt. My situation is different my wife is the food nazi in my house and won't let me eat bad foods. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login