Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dirty Tractor

View my Photos
dkheckmanl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-30          130103

Just got through brush hogging my two acres of waiste high weeds and grass with my TC 24. Weeds and grass were lots taller than in the past because of all the spring rains we had this year. Any way my tractor was just loaded with weed seed, cheat grass and other debris. I tried to get off all I could with shop vac but still some left in the hard to get places around the PTO shield, axle housing and and other areas. Blowing it out would be the ideal way of cleaning it out but I have no compressor. I was thinking about power washing it but wonder if I will do more harm than good?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Dirty Tractor

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-31          130105

Pressure wash will work good. Just be careful and do not aim the hi-pressure water at seals and pins that take grease. The hi pressure will push what you r trying to remove into those cavities. ....

Dirty Tractor

View my Photos
chuckles
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-31          130110

A back or hand held leaf blower works as well or better than compressed air, I have tried both, and switch between them.

You could also try a shop vac.

As mentioned pressure washers can get water where you don't want it, and if you are not super careful they can remove paint/finish also. Just be gentle with it :--) ....

Dirty Tractor

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-31          130120

dk,

If you will look at a post from just a week or two back you will find where a person pressure washed their tractor and had problems with relay(s).

There is also the lower pressure garden hose and of course you can back away from it with the presssure washer. ....

Dirty Tractor

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-31          130124

Start with the garden hose.... you may just be happy with the results at that level.

Every time I point the pressure washer at the tractor I end up with globs of grease all over me and everything else. It gets tracked in the house and it is real hard to clean off your glasses and clothing. ....

Dirty Tractor

View my Photos
Chief

2006-05-31          130128

I get fairly decent results with my leaf blower. I use it when I cannot use compressed air. I pressure wash mine occasionally but not real often. I am not real comfortable doing that with so many electrical components on the tractor. ....

Dirty Tractor

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-31          130130

Most auto supply places, or the auto. dept. of bigger stores, maybe Wally World even, have "no scrub" carwash soap.

It's the stuff that looks like coloured shaving cream that they use in those "no touch" car washes. The foam is very thick and has some chemical that traps the dirt in it.

All you do is wet the vehicle down with water, then switch over to spray this foam (it comes with a pistol-type spray dispenser) and let it sit for a few minutes, as the foam slides down the surface it takes all the dirt with it.

We use it all the time to keep our units looking shiny and new. It's great for us because all you need is water, it can even be from a creek or pond.

Best of luck. ....

Dirty Tractor

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-05-31          130139

I wouldn't worry too much about getting water in the grease joints. Just wash the tractor and clean up the extra grease and water around the joints with a rug, then give a few pumps with a grease gun and that should get the water out of the joints.

Now the electric panel is a whole different matter, see the thread that KT is referring to. ....

Dirty Tractor

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-01          130254

I've found a product I buy from Dollar General store or WalMart called Greased Lightning works great---just spray it on, let it sit for a minute and hose it off. You may need to wipe it while it's wet for nasty areas. ....

Dirty Tractor

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-02          130294

You gotta be careful with Greased Lightening. Great stuff to remove grease and such. But if left on paint, it can wreck the paint. We foudn taht out when we were racing. Greased Lightening rep went around and handed out cases of it to all the teams in the series. So we used as it's great for removing the annoying black marks on the nose of the car from the rubber marbles getting flung up. But, if you let it sit on the paint, the paint would bubble up. So we learned to be careful using it. ....

Dirty Tractor

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-02          130317

Iowa: Yup I agree with the paint bubbling---to a point. I spray my entire skid steer and TC down with it with no problems---however, I was prepping to repaint my rear weights made of cast iron. The yellow paint on them disolved in some places and bubbled in others. In some places there was no damage at all. I'm thinking someone at the factory or the dealership either used a defective paint or didn't sahke it enough if they used spray paint for touching up rather than repainting the entire weight. And the type of paint system hs something to do it with it too it seems---air dry enamel versus oven dry or catylized. But your cautionary tale is good to consider.

By the way, what did the rep do when it removed the paint? ....

Dirty Tractor

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-03          130348

The rep didn't do anything. I don't think he cared or was even told. The cars get repainted so often due to the need to repair damage that it really isn't that big of a deal. My tractor would be a different story. We took to spraying it onto a rag and using the rag to wipe the car. That way it didn't just sit there. It came about because someone sprayed it on and let it sit a bit to work the gunk loose. It got the gunk loose along with the paint. ....

Dirty Tractor

View my Photos
wr5evk8jj

2006-07-05          131710

Murf (or any one else for that matter) --

Your post (31MAY06) goes into "no scrub" car wash stuff looking like coloured shaving cream used in those "no touch" car washes.

I have been looking around here in northern Colorado for the stuff; can't find it either. I've looked at some auto parts stores (including Napa), WW, Target, and the local The Mercantile (similar to TSC) with no joy. Is there a brand or something to look for or a place that is known to carry it? ....

Dirty Tractor

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-05          131717

We use commercial "touchless" carwash soap from a local distributor.

A fast Google search shows several distributors around the country, just look for "touchless carwash soap" or something like that. Maybe if there is a touchless carwash in your area stop buy and ask to buy some.

The stuff we buy is a liquid concentrate which is poured into an empty 55 gallon drum, then topped up with water to make 55-60 gallons of ready to use product. The resulting mixture then gets put in the soap dispensor of the wash truck.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login