Go Bottom Go Bottom

Wheel weights

View my Photos
tractorbuyer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-10          113233

The dealer told me to let him fill the rear tires 3/4 full with water/antifreeze to weight them down instead of using wheel weights as ballast. Will I need ballast to use the loader on a TZ25? Thoughts? Options?

Confused city boy...thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Wheel weights

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-10          113236

I'm a big believer in following the ballasting requirements in the owners manual. What does it recommend? Many dealers always want to fill the tires when a loader is used, just to be sure you won't get in trouble. Sometimes the manufacturer agrees, or even requires this - other times they don't. ....

Wheel weights

View my Photos
tractorbuyer

2005-07-10          113241

A more accurate question would be:

Do I "need" ballast for doing light duty work with a 25HP tractor? I'll be using a loader, box scraper and 60" finishing mower. ....

Wheel weights

View my Photos
Kris,From,NC

2005-07-10          113243

With me the answer is YES! I have both rears on my 33D filled and glad I do. ....

Wheel weights

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-07-10          113245

What kind of tires do you plan on getting? You say finishing mower? Are you planning on using this to cut your lawn all the time? If so was thinking (and only in this case) maybe you should explore other options for ballast. Keep that box blade on and add a couple of weights for the loader work, take everything off for your mowing. I would think if she was a bit damp that the added ballast would not be helpful while mowing a YARD and may limit when you could mow. ....

Wheel weights

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-10          113246

With the TZ tractors you want the tires filled with the loader and some sort of 3pt ballast. Weather you are using it as a primary mower or not. With out it you will be limited to about 150lbs in the loader. ....

Wheel weights

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-07-10          113250

Using water and antifreeze doesn't offer the same weight gain as calcium cloride (according the Service Manual calcium cloride is the only tire fill fluid recommended). That said, moisture from water is going to lead to eventual rust problems on the rim itself (which are rarely totally painted anyway) and could lead to rust forming between the bead which will lead to constant air leakage. The TC33D Service Manual says to only fill the tires 75% full which is indicated when the tire stem is in the 12 o'clock position and fluid comes out the stem. If it were me, I wouldn't use the wheel weights or filling the tires and only use the implement such as a box scraper with weights which will give you much more weight in the form of leverage hanging off the back, plus the scraper is handy for spreading the dirt. So you kill two birds at one time. And when you are mowing you aren't carrying all that extra water weight. ....

Wheel weights

View my Photos
tractorbuyer

2005-07-10          113252

Thanks...all good suggestions...I assume Land Pride or others make weights to go with their box scrapers. Still learning...thanks! ....

Wheel weights

View my Photos
jamese

2005-07-10          113254

Calcium is NOT the way to go,,I would say ONLY use methanol/water mix(mixture depends on your climet)and you almost have to have it for the use of a loader,,if you e mail me your tire size,,I have a chart to tell you how mush weight it will add,,(just my opinion) ....

Wheel weights

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-07-11          113260

Calcium NOT the way to go---says who? According to New Holland it is. From a strict liability and warranty standpoint they have a lot to lose by NOT recommending the right stuff.

Why would you use Methanol, which is a flammable liquid, in tires? errrr?

Or maybe when the tires explode the water puts out the flames (te-he-he)

Seriously though, tell more about the methanol trick. ....

Wheel weights

View my Photos
tractorbuyer

2005-07-11          113263

Call me crazy, but placing caustic or toxic liquid IN your tires seems an inelegant solution to a pretty straight-forward engineering issue. This is doubly true given that I have a small area to work...where I have pets, kids, a garden and well water. Adding ballast to the 3PH while using the loader makes a lot more sense. The 3PH weight has a greater moment than the tires, which rely on weight alone given their proximity to the frame. I think I'll wait until my new TZ25DA shows up at my shop and actually read the owner's manual. I'm betting a 400 lb box scraper at 18" from the rear will be more than adequate to support the full capacity of the loader. The last newbie question remains: do box scrapers have custom made weight sets that go with them? ....

Wheel weights

View my Photos
s chrand

2005-07-11          113269

Like 'tractorbuyer', this was a tough decision when I bought my first tractor last fall. I ended up filling the tires with something called 'rim guard' for two reasons. First, the weight is always on, so I don't have to mess with it. Second, the weight is only on the tires, not on the axles and bearings of the tractor, so less wear and tear.
David ....

Wheel weights

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-07-11          113271

I have owned this class of tractor. I would NOT fill the tires on a model this small. You can't really get much weight in a 26x12-12 tire anyway.

Your loader capacity is only 460 to 660 pounds anyway (depending on how it is calculated). Based on experience with my BX, all you will need are some 60 pound wheel weights and a heavy box blade.

If NH does not offer a set of weights, I am almost 100 percent sure that the Kubota weights will fit and they are not terribly expensive.

Wheel weights

View my Photos
Chief

2005-07-11          113274

I like and would prefer to go with wheel weights but the last time I priced a full set of wheel weights; they were nearly $1,000! Just not worth the price, so I had the tires filled with Rim Guard. I still had to add a 3 pt. ballast weight as well. Wheel weights are a LOT more user friendly if you have a flat tire but you will have to weight the cost of wheel weights or a 3 pt. ballast box as opposed to fluid filled tires. If price is no factor; get the weights. ....

Wheel weights

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-07-11          113276

If the application calls for mowing lawn, I'd definitely want weights or ballast of some kind that could be removed. My set-up seems ok and stable with just a rear blade. My Land-Pride blade has a long beam that sticks out more than the Frontier and some others. You can spin the blade 360 degrees.

I also use my pulverizer as ballast while it also can break up stuff or level it while transferring material with the loader. A ballast box filled with rocks or concrete is economical. ....

Wheel weights

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-07-11          113302

My research has shown that when the wheel size gets to about 33-35 inches tall, it is hard to hang more weight on the tire than you can put in it.

My 33 inch rear tires on the 4100 weighed about 190 pounds when filled with calcium and water and about 70 pounds empty for 120 pounds of net ballast. That's why my current tractor has 150 pounds of bar-bell weights on each wheel. I get 30 pounds per wheel more ballast out of the deal.

Randy's tires (2ndhandlion) are way bigger and he probably nets about 300 pounds of ballast with proper fluids in each tire. Thats a lot of steel to attach securely to a moving tire.

I think Yooper is running a much bigger machine too.....

Smaller machines... 16.5 inch rims and smaller... do better with attachable weights. ....

Wheel weights

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-07-11          113306

On my Kubota B7610 I have the 72" Woods grader blade with no liquid in the tires. I have had no problems moving full buckets of dirt with this set up. I have the Kubota Ballast box, but I have never found a condition where I would rather have the Ballast Box instead of the rear blade. I don't have any wheel weights either. The blade I have can rotate 360 degrees like yoopers as well, so it hangs far back, this might be different on a sub compact blade. ....

Wheel weights

View my Photos
denwood

2005-07-12          113348

I keep seeing posts about removing weights to mow the grass. Every mower I have owned would work better with weights on it. My NH GT75 had calcium in the tires not my favorite but it worked, wished I had even more weight. My JD f525 has factory weights on the wheels. Look at steiners. At least half of the ones I have seen have the rear weight bar with weights just for mowing. Their necessity is more from poor engineering. My JD4300 has calcium fill and I finish mow with it all the time. I think it does less damage with filled tires since I use 2WD as often as possible and spin the tires a lot less (as in none) with all that weight. I leave the loader on to mow to put rocks sticks etc in so it does need the weight. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login