Go Bottom Go Bottom

tires

View my Photos
8x56mn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-03-26          169527

I’m thinking of ordering a new tractor and am wondering what type of tire to order on it. I like Turf, but are pretty useless if you pulling something as in plowing or disking, but they are wider aller and frankly are pleasing to the eye. The industrial I have no clue, but they come standard on this tractor. Actually the tractor will cost a little more to get the aggs because the tractor with aggs is shipped from another location. What are your opinions? Will the industrials function for plowing etc.?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

tires

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-26          169530

My experience with industrials was a dismal failure. They plug easily with moist soil and don't self-clean like ags. They slide in dry powdery soil. They are hard as rocks and won't flex over uneven terrain which also reduces their traction. I was lucky that after a month my dealer was willing to swap them out with ags, which I like a whole heck of a lot better. IMO industrials are only useful if you spend the entire day working on hard, dry, well compacted surfaces. ....

tires

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-26          169538

There are no standard tires for Kubota's unless you go buy the top of the price list and then normally it is ag tires!

In soft soils the wider tires are normally better to keep you up, if to soft, like mud turfs and industrials do not clean! Industrials are like fifty fifty tire and are one of the most asked for tires on compact tractors. They have good width so you can stay on top of loose soil and they don't tend to rut! If you have clay soils like what Ken has you could be in trouble when it is wet as they won't dig in! Only ag tires will dig in and clean well, or at least they do it the best.

Running tillage depends on the equipment used, a tiller requires little pulling power and it should be dry when being used so that can be done with turfs or industrials.

Plows and disc's can get a little touchy with turfs and not quite so with industrials.

tires

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-03-26          169547

All my equipment uses R4's, and I'm in all kinds of conditions. Weight is also a function of traction as well as weight distribution, and the biggie having 4 wheel drive. ....

tires

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-03-26          169554

R-4's work for me but I have other tractors with ag's for the field and don't mow the lawn with the compact so turfs aren't needed. Tires have to be a compromise of what works the best in all the situations you may encounter. I like the stiff firm feeling of the R-4's, I've been stuck with them but was where I shouldn't have gone in the first place.
A fellow in our neighborhood has a good sized sod farm. He has a Deere 43 or 4410 with the widest truf tires I ever saw, but he has a specific reason for having them. Frank. ....

tires

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-03-26          169555

Frank are those wide "truf" tires like regular turf tires. And are the trufs only available in I--o--wa? ....

tires

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-03-27          169564

EW;
I never been close enough to read the size on the side of the tires. The tread looks to be identical to regular turfs, my guess is the rears are an easy 30 inches wide.
I'm sure there not an Iowa only tire, he may have gotten from some exotic place like Michigan. ....

tires

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-03-27          169576

Since we are into opinions as we are talking about tires:
Only ever had turf or truf on mowers. Notice some of the commerical mowers are now offering more aggressive thread than the standard turf tires and those may be the truf thread ole Jeffery old boy.

I have a CUT with the industrial tires and have used in to cut grass with it leaving very little sign on the lawn to pulling 500 gallon sprayer across field with those tires doing a ok job for each. Then I have used in in garden pulling a single row cultivator with poor success all the while the one issue is terrible ride. Sidewalls so stiff they can be almost flat and not notice it.

I have a much larger tractor with ag tires which has also run rfm mower on my lawn with little sign left and also ran another tractor which has Ag radials which were the best all around tire I have ever had. Period. Not sure the brand but they were either Firestone or Goodyear. They were ag tires with lugs that ran about half the distance from sideway to the center line and then a break and another lug. To me made me think of a mix of turf and ag tire. When time to replace either of my tractors I will hunt those. ....

tires

View my Photos
yooperpete

2010-03-29          169623

John Deere offers an extra wide turf tire on some model tractors made specifically for lawn applications (golf courses). Depending upon the tractor and tire size you may be able to have a turf tire that fits in the plowed furrow. I have a single bottom plow and my turf tire fits in the groove.

In my case, driving over the lawn is common as is snow removal. In those instances the turf tire seems to be best. Once a year, I plow the garden which is only a half acre or so.

My tractor has an extra wide turf front tire which also works well for loader work. Most turf fronts don't handle FEL work all that good. The tire brand on mine is Galaxie. They are the ones that also offer the balloon tires for JD.

If you do lots of field work and are not concerned with tracking up the lawn, an Ag tire is best, being self cleaning to a point. The industrial R4 is a compromise and is particularly good in rockie soils, busted up concrete or heavy brush and thorns and won't puncture.

If it is all that muddy, you shouldn't be in the field. ....

tires

View my Photos
magicheater

2010-03-29          169627

I run R4's on my L4350. Had special rims made for the front so I could get a 12" wide tire. Fronts and rears are 10 ply.
I work in the woods and in the field. I wanted the toughness and puncture resistance. Had R4's on both front and rear of my B7800 but went with an R1 on the front as it was the only way I could get a wider tire and match the static loaded radius. Had to use 12" rims. A bonus is that they are 6 ply to the stock R4's being 4 ply. Happy with both set ups. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login