Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 2520 3 point problem

View my Photos
jdjerry
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-04          147715

I have a problem with attachments. It seems that they do not go low enought on the 3 point hitch. Does anybody have a simular problem?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-04          147716

Are you using the correct sized implement? Sometimes you can't use a Category 0 on something that needs a 1 or 2, and vice versa. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-04          147717

JDjerry; The 2520's are a 60 hp. tractor produced both in a rowcrop and a hi-crop version. It likely came with a category two three point hitch which should work properly with category two impliments. Several things can be wrong, As EW said perhaps you are using thje wrong category implinents for your cat. two tractor. Something in an adjustment of the three point arms, or the linkage to the three point hitch hydraulic control may be keeping the hitch from fully lowering. Or there is an outside chance that your 2520 is a hi-crop verion that holds the hitch in a higher positiion than a row crop versioin. Tell us more. Frank. ....

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2007-11-04          147728

Hardwood, John Deere is using the 2520 over again. The current model 2520 is a subcompact with a limited category I hitch. I am not sure which version jdjerry has, But I assume it's the subcompact version. Either way, my guess is a linkage adjustment problem. ....

View my Photos
jdjerry

2007-11-04          147730

Yes, I have the 2520 subcompact model. I know that when I install the rear blade, it won't even touch the ground in the full down position. Could it be that the linkage is wrong. Everything is just the way I received it when I purchased it brand new from the dealer. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-04          147732

Wow! And the problem shows up with the rear blade?

That is the one implement that usually cannot be raised high enough, not the other way around.

I suspect your hitch is not properly assembled. Have a look at the owners manual. See if the pictures match the way the hitch is put together. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-05          147739

Sorry, I took it for granted that the 2520 was the old series. I'm not familliar with the new 2520, but being a subcompact it likely has a category "0" three point hitch. I've never dealt with a category "0". Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-05          147753

I am with Hardwood on Cat "0" experience but seems you either have linkage not adjusted correctly, something preventing your lift lever or arms from fully lowering such as even a stick, or using wrong attachement points on the blade. If the lift works fine with everthing else, is it possible there is something amiss with the blade such as it is bent? kt ....

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2007-11-05          147804

JD.....check right in front of the seat is a knob you can turn to raise and lower the 3pt fast or slow or close. I would say that you just need to turn the knob and it should lower just fine. Now i got the easy to use imatch system on the back and just back up and pickup without getting off the thing. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2007-11-06          147814

The newer 2520 are actually compacts, not sub-compacts.
And its either your adjustment knob is all the way closed - or your 3pt is correctly set up

if you post a picture, we can set you straight ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-11-06          147868

Sounds like maybe the toplink is adjusted too short or it's the wrong one.

Somehow lower the blade to get pressure off it and remove the toplink pin. Then lower the blade until it is the proper work position which is the frame should be level to the ground or so that if the balde were rotated about its pivot the frame would remain level and not move. Brace/jack it to keep it from moving and measure the distance from the toplink pin location on the balde and the location on the CUT.

From there maybe someone can help you determine what that measurement should be to install the toplink. You should have enough threads to make it longer and shorter than the target distance. If you don't, then you have the wrong toplink assuming you have the right lower link arms.
On the CUT side toplink pin location there should be two or three sets of holes. These are important depedning on what you attach--one hole set will make it quicker to raise/lower but able to raise less and the other(s) won't. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-06          147872

Jdkerry,

I'm not sure I fully understand what you meant by, "they do not go low enough on the 3 point hitch".

Provided you've already checked the things already mentioned under this topic, is it possible that your three-point control lever has a lower stop adjustment that isn't allowing you to lower your 3-point hitch all the way?

If you have a knob located directly ahead of your hitch position control lever, loosen it up and slide it all the way forward.

I have two such knobs on my Kubota. One is for limiting the downward travel of the hitch -- the other for limiting the maximum height I can raise an implement. The lower limit is nice when using the middle buster, so that I don't go too deep. I've never used the upper limit knob.

Joel ....

View my Photos
jinpa1

2007-11-14          148265

The 2520 compact uses category 1 implements, first thing I would take a close look at is the lower three point arms to be certain they have been installed in the correct position from the factory if one side is on backward it could cause the hitch to bind and not allow the blade to drop all the way, next thing to do would be to adjust your top link longer to allow the blade to make contact with the ground. The the draft control knob below the seat only opens and closes the valve the controls the rate of drop on the implement not the depth. ....

View my Photos
jdhdmann

2008-03-26          152459

Question for you on your three point hitch- Do you have the turf tires or the industrial tires? I have a 2520 with the industrial tires, and cannot raise the three point hitch all of the way up without having interference between the IMatch hitch and the tread on the tires. My problem comes in when I have the mower deck installed, and cannot lift the deck all the way up off of the ground due to the interference with the tires/3pt hitch. Has anyone seen this before? ....

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2008-03-27          152498

JD...I have a newer 2520 with 72" midmower that lifts just like yours with the rear 3pt hitch. I too have the imatch system(love that thing)but never had trouble with the tires touching the imatch hitch or 3pt arms...they do come close but not that close. I have used normal tires that it came with think r3 bigger tread pattern and now use turf tires. Do the arms on the 3pt you have swing side to side? (too much play maybe) ....

View my Photos
jdhdmann

2008-04-05          152770

There is quite a bit if side to side sway within the three point hitch system. I see that there are adjustment linkages to tighten this up, and perhaps that will bring the arms in far enough so they do not interfere with the tires. Is this what you have done to address this issue? Is there much sway in your three point arms? ....

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2008-04-07          152792

JD...I have hardly any side to side movement on the bars on the 3pt hitch. The bars do have some twistable bolts that attach to the lift arms down to the lift arms for the mowing deck. I think this is what you are missing. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2008-04-07          152805

If your 2520 is like my 4115...and I think it is..... it has some spacers on the mounting bars for the 3 point hitch.

If you move the spacer you can alter the spread of the arms a bit. ....

View my Photos
bz1bz1

2008-07-11          155229

Not a regular, just surfing but noticed this post. I've been through several of 3 point issues with my new 2008 2520 and my 62D MMM so I had to get on here and respond. Here's what I learned:
The 3 point draft arms each have two holes in them that can be used to connect the rock shaft lifting linkages to the draft arms. You have to have the lift linkages connected to the proper hole in each arm. One set of holes closest to the tractor will give you the most travel. Apparently some units get installed wrong. I read a JD DTAC report that explained this problem. The other set of holes will seriously limit both up and down travel. Check this first. According to the DTAC this is the cause of most problems with restricted implement vertical travel.
The other problem a lot of people are having with the 2520 3 point is draft arms hitting the R4 tires in full raised position with certain implements. This is such a prevalent problem that JD is replacing the draft arms with a new design that are bent so that they provide more tire clearance. I got this fix for free on my tractor. There is a DTAC report on this as well that describes the problem. JD does not have a formal recall replacement program yet but if you complain a lot you'll eventually get the new arms. I had this problem with all my JD implements and others say that there IMatch also will not fit unless they turn the pins inward. If you want tons of data on this go to tractorbynet.com and do a search on 2520. Read all posts about 3 point hitch or tire clearance problems. Lots of people are getting this fixed.
For anyone with 62D mower deck. There is a replacement program for the anti-scalp wheels. There has been so many problems with the front castors digging into sod that JD will replace all 4 wheels with a more rounded corner version and also provide instructions on how to install zerk fittings on the front castor wheels so they can be greased and thus spin correctly. The castor axis had no way to lubricate on earlier decks. I got these free parts and it drastically improved the ability of the wheels to do their job without digging in. The newer decks starting some time in 2007 already have these wheels and zerks. Thee is a DTAC for this also.
I spent many months figuring out what caused these problems for me and eventually got them all fixed by digging around on the internet. My dealer was no help in finding the fixes to these problems. I hope you all have better luck. ....

View my Photos
ember1205

2013-08-09          187823

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1bz1 | view 155229
Not a regular, just surfing but noticed this post.I've been through several of 3 point issues with my new 2008 2520 and my 62D MMM so I had to get on here and respond.Here's what I learned:The 3 point draft arms each have two holes in them that can be used to connect the rock shaft lifting linkages to the draft arms.You have to have the lift linkages connected to the proper hole in each arm.One set of holes closest to the tractor will give you the most travel.Apparently some units get installed wrong.I read a JD DTAC report that explained this problem.The other set of holes will seriously limit both up and down travel.Check this first.According to the DTAC this is the cause of most problems with restricted implement vertical travel.The other problem a lot of people are having with the 2520 3 point is draft arms hitting the R4 tires in full raised position with certain implements.This is such a prevalent problem that JD is replacing the draft arms with a new design that are bent so that they provide more tire clearance.I got this fix for free on my tractor.There is a DTAC report on this as well that describes the problem.JD does not have a formal recall replacement program yet but if you complain a lot you'll eventually get the new arms.I had this problem with all my JD implements and others say that there IMatch also will not fit unless they turn the pins inward.If you want tons of data on this go to and do a search on 2520.Read all posts about 3 point hitch or tire clearance problems.Lots of people are getting this fixed.For anyone with 62D mower deck.There is a replacement program for the anti-scalp wheels.There has been so many problems with the front castors digging into sod that JD will replace all 4 wheels with a more rounded corner version and also provide instructions on how to install zerk fittings on the front castor wheels so they can be greased and thus spin correctly.The castor axis had no way to lubricate on earlier decks.I got these free parts and it drastically improved the ability of the wheels to do their job without digging in.The newer decks starting some time in 2007 already have these wheels and zerks.Thee is a DTAC for this also.I spent many months figuring out what caused these problems for me and eventually got them all fixed by digging around on the internet.My dealer was no help in finding the fixes to these problems.I hope you all have better luck.

I was searching the web for possible solutions to an issue with my 3PH when I came across this thread. I realize that it's quite old, but felt the need to correct information that was provided in this post.

The lower arms on the 3PH of the 2520 do, in fact, have two different holes in them. The rear-most holes are the ones that the lift linkage is to be connected to, and that linkage should never be connected to the ones closer to the front of the machine.

The frontward holes in the lift arms are for connecting the adjustable anti-sway components. There is a sleeve that fits over a pin from the center of the machine to the transaxle portion where the wheel is mounted (one per side). This sleeve has a chain link connected to it, and then an adjustable turnbuckle. On the other side is similar hardware that then attaches to the lift arm. Adjusting these properly is what ensures that side-to-side sway of implements / attachments is minimized, and will also help with the lift arms coming into contact with the tires. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login