Go Bottom Go Bottom

Thermostat in 4310 did nt help

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-08-08          133101

The heat guage on my 4310 has only been going up about a quarter inch into the green this summer so I just this morning replaced the thermostat. No change, I mowed for an hour or so and same thing about a quarter inch up in the green. Next move? When a heat guage goes bad do they completely quit or give a false reading? Any help welcome. Thanks. Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-08          133104

That's about where mine runs. But I haven't run the tractor since May due to the drought. Or was it early June? I can't remember. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-08-08          133105

Thanks Iowa. The first couple summers it seemed to run like near a half inch up in the green. I might also be dreaming all this too, so guess I'll just go back to mowing. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-08          133107

I don't know about next move, but my first move would have been to check and clean the connection to the temp. sensor and ground.

We have had several machines do this, sometimes going up dramatically in temp. readings.

It turned out each time to be a change in resistance in the circuit. The temp. sensor changes resistance as it warms and cools, this means that when the circuit gets some corrosion or dirt in there the temp. reading changes too.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
reason201

2006-08-08          133110

Sounds like the reading your getting on the temp guage is about right. When I was really working my 4710 it would go to about an inch into the green. Unless you are mowing something really heavy or if it is really hot out, I would not think your unit would heat up much. Take your removable screen out from behind the radiator and block some of the air flow with paper. See if the guage starts to register a bit hotter. You don't have to heat it all the way to a boil but it should let you know if your guage is working or not. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-08          133112

Since you changed the thermostat it would seem safe you changed the coolant so it should be clean and full. But you could still have gunk on the sending unit.

Could you be changed the rpm's you run or the ground speed you mow at or could you be cutting your grass more often thus not putting as much load on the total outfit, therefore it is running cooler? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-08          133113

That sounds about where my 4310 runs when bushhogging lite brush on a 85 degree day. Never seen it get really hot even when working hard but we don't have that many hot days. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-08-09          133137

I had checked the terminals on the temp. sending unit, they were clean and solid. Today I had the thought of replacing the temp guage but a mechanic friend of mine (not a Deere mech.)told me to replace both the sender and a MATCHED guage because tiny differences in the voltage sent or recieved won't match and I'll be worse off than just leaving things alone. I mowed for a couple more hours yesterday after I posted and the guage went to it's usual quarter inch position and stayed there, so guess I'll just leave things be. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-09          133139

It seems odd to me that any company would spend the extra time to match individual gauges to individual sending units. The parts probably aren't made by the same company so they'd have to ship them to a third location and set up a calibration shop to do that job. If the sender has a +/- tolerance they call it good and ship them. Same with the gauge. I imagine the resistance of the sending units varies with temperature so it would be easy for a manufacturer to bench check them with a meter (not that they all do). The parts should work fine together if all the wiring and connections are in good shape. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login