Go Bottom Go Bottom

Making the plunge

View my Photos
dark_star_superman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-03          118832

Okay here's the situation. I take care of my small yard, my father-in-law's slightly larger yard, and shovel my 80 year old neighbor's driveway when it snows. After several years of shoveling snow, my back decided that I should obtain a mechanical implement to make the job easier. I initially decided on a bobcat, but after talking with a "green" tractor owner, I realized that a tractor would be more useful throughout the year - for grass cutting AND snow removal.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Making the plunge

View my Photos
dark_star_superman

2005-11-03          118833

PART II

I didn't want to pay 23k, though, for a green 4WD tractor w/ FEL and Mower, so I started snooping around the web. Eventually, I came across a site that sold crated chinese tractors. After toying with the idea of putting one together, I decided it would be best for me, a desk jockey by profession, to purchase one already assembled. So, I ask you all the following questions:

1) Where in MD/DE/Se PA/N VA can I find a jinma made tractor?
2) Given that I was hesitant to assemble it, should I be worried about the subsequent "wrenching" that will be required?
3) Would the 20 Hp 4WD w/ FEL be sufficient to remove snow from flat paved suburban driveways?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Andrew ....

Making the plunge

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-03          118834

My suggestion would be to purchase either a Deere or Kubota Sub-compact series rather than a put it together unit. This board has also been discussing the Simplicity line which are tractors slightly smaller than Sub-Compacts. From the size of your yard description on your bio these seem to possibly fit your needs. There are allot of these sub-compacts out there and you may also be able to purchase used and get all the parts and service you would expect at about half or less than your initial price statement. ....

Making the plunge

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-03          118835

DSS,

I am not sure of your mechanical skills and the extent of your tool and shop collection. Jinma tractor are a good bang for the buck but they are not for everyone. The best I think I can do is link you to the below website and you take a look at the requirements involved in assembling a crate tractor and decide for yourself if this idea is for you. Many folks do this or buy a pre-assembled tractor and are very satisfied with them. Others not. This can be the case with any color machine. ....

Link:   Jinma 224 from a crate of parts

Making the plunge

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-11-03          118836

If you peruse the past entries on Chinese tractors you will find that just about all the owners agree that they need more "wrenching" than other types.

Most Chinese owners also seem to be experienced mechanics who don't mind futzing with their machines and consider that a good trade-off for the lower initial price.

I do not relate to this mindset. I want an up to date, ultra reliable tractor that will start when I need it. Tinkering with something is the last thing I want to do when there is a foot of snow on the ground and someone needs to get down the driveway to go to work.

Given your description of yourself I also would point you in the direction of a Japanese built tractor. Look at a Kubota BX1500 or a BX 1800 or a Deere 2210 or similar. ....

Making the plunge

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-11-03          118837

With only a 1/4 acre and 1/2 acre lot please don't even think of a Chinese tractor, they are usually much much heavier than the sub compact big three machines. Quite frankly unless you know for sure that because of grade that you need four wheel drive these are too big for your application.

One member here (Ducati) is a big fan of the Cub Cadet Garden Tractor with a dual stage front blower with chains. I would think you could do fine with a Cub, Deere, or Kubota Garden Tractor.

I rented a house on a 1/4 acre lot and the Wheel Horse Garden Tractor looked pretty big on that lot, I was the only guy with a rig that big in a couple hundred house subdivision. I certainly did not need anything bigger. If you go this route check to see if the two wheel drive GT has differential lock, that should help you get unstuck in slippery conditions.

However if you think you have some ongoing loader work you might want to look at a sub compact. But for that you are better off with renting quite honestly.

The chinese tractors are more for the mechancial pioneers for now, I am sure they will become great over time just like Korean products, but in your case I would think your back pain will just be changed from lifting to crawling under. ....

Making the plunge

View my Photos
Peters

2005-11-03          118840

Additionally in a small area you will do a lot of backing up and moving forward small distances. I would recommend a hydrostatic drive, whether it be a large garden tractor or sub compact tractor. I don't know of a chinese tractor with hydro drive.
Massey (AGCO) has a small diesel tractor as does, Kubota, Deere, New Holland, Kioti (a little larger Korean), Honda (used), Club Cadet, Simplicity etc. Most of these rigs are less than 10K with out the loader and about 14K or less with the loader. Some will operate with the blower. From the pricing I have seen with the Chinese crate tractors I doubt you will have much change from 14K and they will be less use for the lawn. ....

Making the plunge

View my Photos
RanchHand

2005-11-03          118874

I am a Jinma dealer in Virginia.

www.ranchhandsupply.com

Ronald ....

Link:   

Click Here

Making the plunge

View my Photos
dark_star_superman

2005-11-14          119329

Thanks all for all the assistance. I have honestly evaluated my needs and mechanical ability, and decided that I'll go with the Kubota BX 1500. With loader and mower, brand new it's $9500 with 0% financing. If I need something larger in the future, I'll just trade up. I'll see you on the Kubota board! ....

Making the plunge

View my Photos
corvetteguy

2005-11-27          119907

I bought my jinma from this guy in
NEPA.
good deal and tractor was set up well.
george ....

Picture Link
Jinma Farmpro Agracat Nortrac Making the plunge