Go Bottom Go Bottom

How did you wind up where you are living Survey

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-02-28          189300

When I travel I sometimes wonder what brought the people to the areas that I am visiting.

In my case my maternal grandparents came to the US by boat arriving in New York City, raised their family and passed away all within a couple of miles from the boat they got off.

So far I have only gotten 60 miles from the boat :) Must be that security collar on my ankle..just kidding..Or simply that thing called family!

Living in the NY metro area has its benefits and its costs. Used to be there was always significant opportunity for work.. not sure about that now. Certainly is the most ridiculously expensive place to live last months electric bill at 35 cents a kilowatt hr for example because of propane spot prices, expect to pay high property taxes 2% of house value annually.

Right now I would love to move someplace warmer and less costly... but have to wait and see where my kids wind up after college.

Anyway that is why I am stuck here in NJ for better or worse :(

I have moved as far as one can get from NY City with still being able to get back and forth if needed, but a dreadful long commute I did for many years 5 hours round trip each day.

The population here is about 250 per square mile. Rural for the countries most densely populated state.

Please share your story of why and how you came to be where you are. I would love to hear about it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-02-28          189303

Dennis,

My great grandparents arrived here by wagon train, back in the late 1800s and early 1900 to 1906.......just after North Dakota gained statehood.

They came from Germany looking for an opportunity to start up their own farms. They arrived in Wisconsin, via the Great Lakes, where they hooked up with fellow countrymen from Germany, then began their trip out to the Dakota Territory.

They eventually settled in Mohall, North Dakota, which is 10 miles from the Canadian line, in central North Dakota. My grandmother was born in Mohall, as was my father. I was the first of the family to be born in a hospital, also in Mohall.

I've lived in North Dakota my entire life, with the exception of a few years that I spent in the Army, traveling about the country. When my time in the Army was up, I came back to North Dakota. I love the peace and quiet....the freedom....and the low cost of living here. Nothing like spending a day on the lake and rarely seeing another person.

I have 5 acres just outside of Cando, which is 120 miles east of where I was born. My property taxes are 260 dollars per year. Electricity is 10 cents per kWh. Gasoline is $3.22 per gallon, currently.

Propane prices....coupled with our very long winters, can make heating expenses very high, so I took it upon myself to install a wood-burning furnace in the basement. I heat my house and water with free firewood. We have a propane furnace which we use for those days when the wood-burner can't keep up with -30 temps and the wind blowing at 40mph.

We raise 100 chickens each summer, providing most of our meat for the winter. We purchase a whole hog from a local farmer each year, providing us with our pork. Beef is something we have to buy at the local butcher shop.

We also have a 1/3 acre garden, which provides all of our vegetables. We do a lot of canning and freezing. My wife is diligent about making sure we have enough on hand to last through the winter.

I look forward to seeing the stories written by our other members. It's a great way to get to know our members better, and what a great topic for discussion!

Joel

View my Photos
Chief

2014-02-28          189304

That is an interesting question Dennis. I was looking on line at various properties for sale and came across a farm that had been foreclosed upon. The wife and I decided to drive out and take a look.

The place was MUCH more rural and isolated than we expected. The more the better in my opinion. Long story short we bought the farm and a number of other places nearby and moved to the area. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2014-02-28          189306

My ancestors settled here from Germany in 1857. Sold the farmland around it but still own 1 3/4 acres of the original homestead. It gets passed down from generation to generation. My daughter is currently living in the home that was built in 1970 but is relocating for a job about 90 miles away. Don't know long term if we will keep it. Also own another parcel of farmland a mile down the road that has been in the family for 100 years. I live 10 miles away in town but may move back in the next couple of weeks. About a mile away, one road carries the family name. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2014-02-28          189317

Grew up a few miles south of where I am. Moved up where my mother was living in 67. Spent 20+ years traveling around country and world courtsey of Uncle Sam. Getting ready to retire and moved in near the inlaws. the Finger Lakes is a beautiful area.

Now we are kinda of stuck here with 4 granddaughters and their families all with in a 4 mile radius.

Would love to leave this commie state, taxes suck, politics suck, the gun laws suck.

For the most part I can survive it.

But here I am and probably here I'll die. ....

View my Photos
Woodie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-02-28          189320

Wow- so many fellow folks from the old country. I'm a mere babe in comparison- came by plane(5 stops looks likea DC-3 from pics dad took) and train to Michigan in 1952. Dad looked at climate etc what was close to Germany and where sponsors locations were. It was either Michigan or someplace in Australia. Dad built a house, worked factory, mom was homemaker and me and brother(born here) grew up and still reside. My brother moved across the street of the folks place and I am about 20 miles away ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2014-02-28          189321

My Great Grandfather on my Dad's side and two of his brothers came to the US from Luxembourg in the 1840's. The story goes there was no new land left to farm over there and no industry so the hope of a better life over here drew them. To continue the story one brother stayed in Pensylvania,the remaining two continued on to East
Dubuque where there was not yet a bridge, only a ferry. They crossed the Mississippi and walked to Independence, Iowa about 75 miles west, My GGP heard of work in Benton county about 40 miles south of Independence, the third brother said he was going to the Dakota territory, they say none ever heard from the other again. About 99% of the people who settled in Eastern Benton county were Germans, there he found and married my GGM a purebred German girl born in Germany. On it goes, my Grandfather and Grandmother on my Mothers side were born in Germany, so my Mother and Dad being purebred Germans from that community produced me another purebred German, not many of us purebreds left. None of my GGF's offspring hardly left the borders of Benton County, My Grandfather and his brothers and sisters didn't go much farther. By the third generation, my Dad and his eleven brothers and sisters began to fan out a bit for lack of farmland in the immediate areia. Growing up here I liked it, so I found some farmland and stayed. The winters are sometimes bad, the summers are sometimes hot, but usually there was a reward in the fall. After 50+ years of married life we have gone south in the winter a couple times, hated every minute of it and came back home to the snow and cold.

Enuf of that.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
crunch

2014-02-28          189326

My Grandpa came from Italy to New York City when he was 17 and then sent back to Italy telling the family to come on over. I have his passport where he was described as having a BIG nose. He bought an apple farm without knowing anything about farming in the Hudson Valley. He died early - my Dad took over and married a WASP wife with roots back to the Mayflower.

As a result I am a mutt, as are my sisters. And now our kids are all super mutts. I had a chance to go to other places when I was younger but like the Mid Hudson Valley. However, taxes will get the best of me before long. If it was me alone I would go to Tennessee. Unfortunately, my wife has other plans for me. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2014-03-02          189366

The more I think about this topic, more resurfaces in my crappy memory. In fact what got me to looking for a place was a post on this forum WAAAAAAAAAAAAY back MANY years ago that posted a link to the website landandfarm.com.

I got to looking around on this website and found some BEAUTIFUL places for sale. We drove out to take a look and fell in love with it. After over 6 months of haggling with the idiots at Regions back who had foreclosed on it as well as some other deed complications, we were able to close on the place. We found another place very close by that was in legal complications that took another 6 months to straighten out but it had a pretty nice house on it that would do until we could build or find a nicer home in the area. We still are living in it but once we get the kids through college, we will probably build a home.

I wish I could find this thread posted many years ago and link to it. I have been looking and see a lot of familiar names that have moved on.

If I find the thread, I will post the link to it. Dennis, would you take a look and see if you remember what thread this was? ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-03-02          189368

Chief you have a great memory !!!

Here is the link to the post from 2005... ....

Link:   Ever thought of Moving Thread

View my Photos
greg_g

2014-03-03          189379

No kin in Kentucky, but that was part of the decision to move here. Wife and I served a combined 41 years in the Navy, both retiring in Scotland (last place of duty). When the Navy asked us where we wanted our possessions sent, we pretty much threw a dart at the map. She had family in the FL panhandle, I had family in southern MN. So we had a general idea to settle somewhere in between. We also wanted to be near a military facility with a future (the Clintons were just gearing up the base closure machine) so we had somewhere to enjoy our military retirement benefits; medical/dental, commissary, exchange, etc. Ft Campbell KY seemed to fill the bill. Close enough to family that we could drive to either in half a day, but far enough to discourage (some) relatives from dropping in unannounced.

Gained 4 years experience raising sheep during that 4 year stay in Scotland, so I wanted to pick it back up in KY. Eventually found 30 acres with a solid house and a good set of outbuildings. Went into a second career raising lamb chops. Did that for years before retiring at Social Security age.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-03-03          189395

Boy I wish knew as much about my families as some of you do. Have no idea how long any of my family has been in the US and not 100% sure where from. Based upon what I know all from Great Britain.

I live about 30 miles from where my Daddy grew up and also his Mama and Dad and up to 50 miles from where my Mama grew up as she moved some due to her family being sharecroppers a few years.

There was 5 of us children, all three girls ended up miles away with one due to disability and the other to thanks to marring Military. Us two boys knew enough to live one each side of our Mama and did so for many years. Now I have moved about 5 miles from there and my brother about 1 mile.

I am blessed my two girls and their families live within 10 miles of us and eat Sunday dinner every other week with us.

My wife, well we now live on land that was her great granddaddy and less than 1/2 mile from where she grew up.

I have enjoyed all areas of this great county have been able to visit (the country part not the big cities) and believe each would be great in it's own way to live there. But it is true, home is where the heart is.

I know many who have moved here from up north and find some of their thoughts interesting and find some gave great thought to it and others did so on a whim. Find many find family and friends near by to be cherished as health passes from us.

I am thankful for those who did pick up and move to this land called America.

View my Photos
46bugs

2016-06-10          195328

I was born in Detroit ,Michigan,where my mother and father met,He was a rubber worker working for uniroyal and mom worked at General Motors.

Dad was a smoker and back in the 40.s and 50;s there was no safety inside a plant. Dad was making construction tires and he was allow to smoke in side the plant. and they balance the tires by grinding the rubber off on the high side to balance the tire.

Anyways the smokong and breathing the tire dust was killing dad, so in 1956 the Dr. told Dad if he didn't smoking and get out of that plant he was going to die a quick death. So Mom and Dad moved from Michigan to Tennessee my mother home town. Dad was from North Carolina and he hated that place, Marshall,N.C.

So we came to Tennessee bought a small farm and dad quit smoking and started breathing clean air,and he got better. and so we stayed. he was killed at age 86 in a car wreck.

After High School,I had met my wife (50) years now. and we raised our children here not far from where dad bought the first farm.

WE my wife and I own 3 farms 2 here and one near Nashville, I worked at the Post office 33 years and my wife worked at an O-Ring Plant 29 years we also farmed until 3 years ago,Raising Cows,Corn, hay. Hogs,Tobacco,we still own the farms now rented out.and i buy and sell small tractors that was one owner and low hours ,Tractors that are less then 60 H.P.

My daughter and her husband live outside of Nashville and my son Lives here.Both got a College Education. and with 2 Grandchildren,The Girl is making a Veterinarian and the Boy is making a Brain Surgeon.

I Live in the Upper East corner of Middle Tn. near Kentucky in the Central time zone and about 40 miles from the eastern Time zone.

We love it here. <}):^)

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-06-15          195337

I live a few miles west of Myrtle Beach SC. Some of you have visited there and hope you enjoyed it. It still amazes me how many people move here away from family, friends and homes they had for years. Have met some who never had visited but sold, packed and came. Guess that spirit still lives. My youngest sister who married an Air Force guy who was son of I believe Navy guy and to him the where is not important it is the military benefits being near and the tax and such. They finally have left his last base in Illinois to Texas. My sister says if he dies before her it is for sale and she is coming home to family and childhood friends. The only two issues with that is where will their one child be and what family and childhood friends will still be here. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login