Go Bottom Go Bottom

Those MICE

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-09-07          173826

They got into my excavator and chewed up a bunch of the foam insulation in the engine compartment. About jumped out of my skin when I tilted the seat up and found a nest with little pink rodents and the parents. KILL was the word of the day, beyond that CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! Fortunately all is OK now. But it's war with them from now on!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Those MICE

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-09-08          173850

It might be I don't appreciate the cats that roam my area enough. Guess brushing off the seat before crawling on the tractor or excavator is small price to pay for good guard service. :)

Did have a corn/bean planter one year lacked to fail to find what the problem was with seed spilling out. Finally realize rat (mice?) next in the drop tube backing it all up. ....

Those MICE

View my Photos
DRankin

2010-09-08          173851

I walked into the garage last year and turned on the 16 gallon/6HP shopvac. All I heard was a high pitched wheeeeeeeee....
Before I could switch it off to find the blockage, it went Phuuuut! and spit a whole nest of pinkies out the exhaust port and across the garage.

That said, nothing I tried ever kept up with the birth rate of those little suckers, until the neighbor got a couple of outside/barn cats.

They are amazingly effective. Now instead of trapping mice on a daily basis, I might catch 6 a year. I would estimate they have reduced the rodent population by 95-99 percent.

Might be worth a trip to the pound and a $10.00 investment in cat food.............

Those MICE

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-09-08          173863

I had field mice in my garage. Bought a few buck's worth of pelletized mice bait and no more mice. That was 6 months ago.

About the same time I had a very sickening odor in my skid steer cab which is enclosed. (No, Kenny it wasn't me)

Turned out a mouse had made it's home in the cab air filter in the headliner and was peein' downward in the filter toward me. Niiiiice. ....

Those MICE

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-09-08          173869

I'm battling bats in the attic for the second year in a row. Federally protected species my a$$. We paid a bundle last year to evict and seal the damn things and they're back again. Thankfully there's a one year warranty. Of course they avoid the bat house I erected 3-4 years ago. Why shouldn't they, the attic is so much roomier? If they come back next year I suspect there will be a coincidental insect infestation in the attic that requires a bug bomb or six.

Those MICE

View my Photos
cutter

2010-09-08          173870

Wow, after reading this I don't feel so alone in my endeavor to make rodents extinct. I have fed ferrel cats to keep them around and also have two red fox that hunt around the barn.

For the second time this year I dressed in anti-wasp garb and attacked a huge nest in the crawl space over my garage yesterday. It's been ongoing with those things all summer. I ran over a ground nest with the old Chalmers while bush hogging, that was a shocker too. ....

Those MICE

View my Photos
harvey

2010-09-09          173909

When ever I see something about mice or rats it reminds me of story Comedian Jerry Clower tells about ridding the old fallen down chicken coop of rats. Jerry tell it it funny but here go: He tell about pouring lots of gas and oil down a very large rat hole and throwing in a match. Out ran a hundred burning rats and they were headed for the filled hay barn.

You have to have Jerry tell it for full effect. ....

Those MICE

View my Photos
cutter

2010-09-09          173910

A guy at the state fair was selling the "Rodenator". First pumps hole full of propane, then ignites it. Blasts them dead in the hole. ....

Those MICE

View my Photos
DRankin

2010-09-09          173913

That propane deal wouldn't work well here as I rarely see a burrow.

Did I ever tell you abut the time I was on vacation and the truck seemed to be losing power? Finally opened the air cleaner housing and found it totally packed with nest material and food?

Or the time I switched on the heater on a very cold day and the fan wouldn't turn? Yup. Mouse nest and sliced/diced mice found therein. $175 repair bill.......... ....

Those MICE

View my Photos
cutter

2010-09-09          173915

Yuk! ....

Those MICE

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-09-09          173916

Similar story with my truck. Turned on the fan, a little bit of thumping, then it ran normally. A day later the entire cab was stinking. Fortunately the fan was easy to remove. Three screws and it dropped out, along with a bunch of mouse parts. Had to clean it off good with lysol and spray a bunch into the duct work. The mouse had crawled in the cowl vent and built a nest on top of the vent fan filter. One day it decided to chew a hole through the filter and take up residence in the scroll fan. I learned to put the ventilation system on recirculate before shutting the truck off so the vent door closes and helps keep them out. ....

Those MICE

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-09-11          173956

Not sure of this 100% but think it will work.
Find a way to profit from raising mice and per the laws of farming they will suddenly become hard to raise and require much care to live.
We really seldom have mice rate problems normally happens when the crops are combined and cold hits which hope is still a couple of months off. But here the real danger is not the mice themself it is the snakes that feed on them. They can make you hurt yourself! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login