Go Bottom Go Bottom

VW Amarok Diesel Truck

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-12-03          167168

VW announced their new Amarok compact diesel truck (see link). I think it looks nice and hopefully they will release it in the states. A four-door isn't something I'd buy but they claim to have a two-door regular cab which would be great.

I've been wanting a small diesel pickup for a long time and so far Mahindra has been the only manufacturer scheduled to sell these in the states. Mahindra's should be available starting in February 2010, but they have been plagued with delays and their pricing has climbed into questionable territory for a truck with no track record by a manufacturer with no name recognition. I was ready to jump on a Mahindra but with their currently expected pricing I'll wait to see if they depreciate like a Yugo first.

VW announced their new Amarok compact diesel truck (see link). I think it looks nice and hopefully they will release it in the states. A four-door isn't something I'd buy but they claim to have a two-door regular cab which would be great.<br>
<br>
I've been wanting a small diesel pickup for a long time and so far Mahindra has been the only manufacturer scheduled to sell these in the states. Mahindra's should be available starting in February 2010, but they have been plagued with delays and their pricing has climbed into questionable territory for a truck with no track record by a manufacturer with no name recognition. I was ready to jump on a Mahindra but with their currently expected pricing I'll wait to see if they depreciate like a Yugo first.<br>
<br>
[p]http://blogs.cars.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e20120a6f5979a970b-800wi[/p]<br>

Link:   VW Amarok Truck

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

VW Amarok Diesel Truck

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-12-03          167169

KW;
To each his own I guess, but just wondering why you want a small diesel pickup. Do you do a ton of light duty hauling, the novelty of it, the hoped for economy, or some other reason? Perhaps VW has done their homework a bit better, but I remember wanting a Chevy or Olds diesel car when they came out in whatever year, mainly for the novety of it, best thing I never bought. A rural mail carrier in a nearby town bought up a half dozen or so of them when nobody wanted them anymore, he's retired now but he seemed to get along pretty well and just junked them as the gave out and drove another one. Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

VW Amarok Diesel Truck

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-12-03          167170

A small diesel pickup appeals to me for economy, longevity and lower maintenance.

Our fuel costs are around $475/month. I need a truck around the tree farm and like small trucks because they're easier to maneuver in the woods, easier to park and because I have no need to haul 4x8 plywood sheets.

One option would be to buy two vehicles, a truck and a small high-mileage car, but the extra insurance, maintenance and lack of garage space makes that not so desirable. ....

VW Amarok Diesel Truck

View my Photos
Murf

2009-12-03          167171

It looks like VW took some cues from Honda whose Ridgeline pickup is a Pilot with a cab & box instead of a wagon-like body style.

This appears to be a Toureg with the same treatment. Do a little reading on that car, you might have second thoughts about this truck.

Best of luck. ....

VW Amarok Diesel Truck

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-12-03          167172

I think if I weren't going on-road a lot, I'd invest in a nice cab instead. ....

VW Amarok Diesel Truck

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-12-03          167175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 167171
It looks like VW took some cues from Honda whose Ridgeline pickup is a Pilot with a cab & box instead of a wagon-like body style.This appears to be a Toureg with the same treatment. Do a little reading on that car, you might have second thoughts about this truck.Best of luck.

I've read that, the Toureg is nice but has a reputation as bad as later model Mercedes :( What is worse, a name brand with a bad reputation or an unknown brand with no reputation? Although the VW TDI engine has a very good rep.

VW Amarok Diesel Truck

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-12-03          167177

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 167169
To each his own I guess,
Having read that, I think it's pretty safe to assume that you've never owned your own small diesel transportation; personal or work. I've been driving diesel cars and pickups since 1981. In fact my 1985 Mercedes 300CD Turbo coupe is still a 31 mpg daily driver - despite over 260,000 miles on the clock. I also have a 2006 E-class that has already delivered 39.6 mpg at 75 mph with the A/C on. A neighbor has a Dodge dually diesel that gets 19mpg towing a 24' cattle trailer to market.

On the flip side, I've got a HD2500 Chevy 4x4 (gas) that can't get 13mpg downhill with the wind. Whenever I've been in the market for a replacement pickup, there's never any diesels available in my price range. A half ton diesel with the right running gear, should be easily capable of equaling - if not bettering - a 3/4 ton Detroit gasser.

History and testament aside, I'd welcome a 1/2 ton diesel pickup in the American market. I've been disappointed for years that Detroit hasn't seen fit to fill that void. If it has to be a foreign supplier, so be it. Seems that's what it takes to get Detroit off their ass anyway. Volkswagen and Mercedes diesels have been bullet-proof for years. No reason either would want to depart from that legacy now.

//greg// ....

VW Amarok Diesel Truck

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-12-03          167179

Greg g;
You are correct, I've never owned a diesel pickup or car big or small, but have over the years owned many diesel farm tracors and combines. As I said before my only desire for the early Chevy diesel cars was for the novelty of it. As you have said you with all the over the road miles can justify the added cost of the diesel engine. With higher maintenence costs, a friend of mine for example got rid of his GM diesel pickup when he was shocked that an oil change, fuel filters, etc. was over a hundred bucks compared to less than thirty five for a gasoline pickup.
I see lots of old rusty Dodge/Cummins or Ford Power Strokes running around with less that a hundred thousand that farmers bought for a to town and back pickup that are junk except for the engine, the owners get tired of them and trade long before the diesel has paid for its'self. A lot of the grain elevators who jumped at the diesels only had one or two because nobody took care of them and they ruined the high dollar engines. Since I retired from the farm I bought an 07 Chevy half ton new with the small V8, 4X4, automatic that even amazed me with an easy 20+ mpg on a road trip, but with a bit over 20K miles so far a diesel would have been a poor choice for me. Just tellen it from my side of the fence. Frank. ....

VW Amarok Diesel Truck

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-12-03          167180

I've got an '03 Ram quad cab 4x4 Cummins high-output that gets 38MPG at 45 mph. Pulling 15,000 lb. plus the truck at 70 I still get 16-18. And up until a few days ago when I was t-boned it was in great shape with over 110,000 hard miles. In fact the dealer offered me $14,000 for trade-in which is just bit under half of what I paid for it new in '03 (32K). He said the same truck as a gasser would bring $7-8K. The diesel option cost me $3800 but at trade-in brought $5000. ....

VW Amarok Diesel Truck

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-12-04          167199

I have had two diesel vechiles, VW Jetta car which I bought used about about 100,000 miles on it and drove it for about 3 years and sold it for near what it cost me. Glow plugs, timing belt and set of tires were the cost other than oil changes. 45 miles to the gallon as dependable as it could be. Went from 0 to 60 in about 1 1/2 hours but once up to highway speed would cruise right along.

My first was a Datsun 1980 diesel pickup. Really enjoyed it and got great service from it. Engine was much better than body which was about as thick as Pepsi can. It got about 30 to 35 mph unless you were on open road running about 70 or higher when the milege dropped. Remember the late 70's they dropped the interstate speed and it was geared for about 60 as top speed.

I have no problem understanding Hardwood that for many people they don't drive enough to justify the cost of the diesel for the higher mileage. Also that many diesels out last the bodies. But I have had two I really enjoyed. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login