Go Bottom Go Bottom

History Channel s Logging Show

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-15          152985

Is it me or is safety thrown to the wind on the History's Channel's show on Oregon loggers?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kleinchris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-04-15          152986

I have seen the show a few time but nothing has jumped out at me. Any specific examples? ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-04-15          152987

I've never been involoved with loggers, but I'm sure it is a dangerous occupation. I've watched it a couple times just to see the big machines, not really for the caracters involved. People seem to have always been attracted to anything that usually involves someone getting hurt all the way back to the Romans throwing prisoners to the Lions. Most people who watch NASCAR only watch to see the wrecks. Not necessarly fact, just my opinion. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-15          152988

That show is filmed in our area and there are loggers in the Stihl store all the time. They are some pretty rough and rowdy characters but have been helpful the few times I've asked them questions. A complete lack of safety on their part wouldn't surprise me a bit but I have yet to watch the show. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-04-15          152990

I think Franks right (as usual).....

I have a friend who is a real hockey nut, has seasons tickets to 3 different teams!!

His favourite line when someone asks about a game has always been, "I went to the fights and a hockey game broke out!! Who knew they could skate?".

I'm not sure it's a disregard for safety, it's just what they do is very dangerous and people get hurt.

Ever watch "Deadliest Catch" with Mike Rowe?

'Nuff said......

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-04-15          152997

How safe you can be using the cable system they do to pull the logs up the hills? I do understand the need for speed.

Seems they use air horns to signal when the logs are ready to pull, just how well can operator hear with the diesel running that pulls the logs or those running chain saws. I know at times they are out of sight. Not sure if they use a certain number of blast to signal different things.

Logs are being pulled up hill and it would be duck quick if it came loose (yes have seen the main cable snap) woe to those down hill from it. Seems it is one of the owners which has a long list of such injuries with his artificial hand.

Those above are major and not easy to change am sure. But no one wears eye protection or face protection. They do wear metal hard hats. Sort of understand no ear protection as they have to hear cables snapping, coming loose, moving through the brush and across trees. Also signal blast and such.

We just had a few acres cut and the difference between those guys and the local guys operations is amazing. Being very fair, we don't have hills and surely don't have mountains. But we have swamps. Amazing what those skidders can pull through. They also were not so close to each other that one's action could have a major impact on another.

How quick those guys are having to jump clear when the cable is tighting up is unreal and when a log is beginning to be pulled sometimes it will surprise you how it moves and what all it moves.

BTW, it has been discussed here before on how to sharpen a chain on a saw, this past Sunday night he used a hand file on probably a 36 or longer bar. Probably was more of a touch up than a full sharpening.

Murf, ever since seeing "Deadlist Catch", the price of crab has no complaints by me.

I do notice on both of these they are really running at speeds that is hard to maintain safely for any period of time. Wonder how much camera affects that if any. kt ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-05-06          153490

Hey guys, the show that was on this Sunday night, did you see it? Good lesson in protecting the old head. Limb feel over a hundred feet and went through what was suppose to be bullet proof plexiglass or such. It did it's job and stopped the limb, protected the operator. If not, well he probably would not have gone home. kt ....

View my Photos
Chief

2008-05-06          153495

From my experience in logging from what I have seen, it is not so much throwing safety and caution to the wind but more about "gettin' R done". The overhead costs for loggers are tremendous. Add to this that this line of work is extremely dangerous and injury prone and you will better understand why and how these guy operate.

The days of logging crews like you see on this TV show are numbered. When you figure in the cost of workers compensation insurance as compared to a feller buncher and a skidder/forwarder crew; logging is becoming more and more mechanized and computerized. A feller buncher, skidder or forwarder does not have drinking or domestic problems at home and if maintained properly is always ready to go to work on time and easily do the work of 20 or more experienced men.

Another aspect of logging whose days are also numbered is the practice of leaving a substantial amount of the tree left laying on the ground. Every penny counts and wood on the ground is money on the ground. You will start seeing the slash get chipped up for biomass energy production especially celulosic ethanol production.

With diesel well over $4 a gallon, wood is looking better everyday for renewable energy. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login