Go Bottom Go Bottom

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-08          136741

Looking for a very good brand of pocket knife to buy for grandson (age 3 now) for later in life. One he will be able to tote and use but to be proud of. Looks is easy but the blades vary. Suggestions appreciated. Also where to buy. I have bought most of mine from Smokey Mountain Knife Works. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-08          136743

Buck knives here in Portland seems to have a very good reputation, although I know little about knives. ....

Link:   buck knives

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-11-08          136744

I like Buck knives and toted one for years. Thought I was the reason the blade would not hold an edge. Was told it was the metal in Buck blades. Found others had same problem with same type of Buck knives. The knives I had was a folding pocket model 303. Any idea of they use the same blades in all their knives? Or how to know the difference in the metal? ....

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
wingwiper
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-11-08          136745

Buck, Case, Gerber and Old Timer

Try EBAY and see if you can find some older ones that may be worth something.

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
ejkessler

2006-11-08          136746

Have you considerd a nice quality multi-tool.They are so practical. I always loved knives growing up, but found the swiss army able to many things I realy didn't need. I like the leatherman series (super tool 200), but there are many out there now that are made really well and are specialized very nicely. ....

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-11-08          136747

Kenny: Not usre this answers your implied question of probably making comparisons between knifes, but generally speaking you can determine the type of steel or alloys by simply lightly touching it (or any type of metal) to a grinding wheel sufficent enough to produce a few sparks. I don't know the name of the books or reference materials but machinists, welders, and tool-and-die makers sometimes use them. The reference materials will show several different pictures or photos of the spark patterns. If anything, it's interesting to see what types of sparks can be made by different metals.

Don't want to hi-jack the thread...

Kessler: Are you related to any Kesslerings from Germany or Penn.-Deutch/Amish? If so we might be related. If you like you can reach me privately at earthwerks-jeff "at" hotmail "dot" com ....

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-11-08          136748

Bucks web site says that S30V is the best blade steel available. It is supposed to be a high vanadium stainless steel with even higher edge retention. Some of their knives use that steel and others don't. The ones that do seem to cost quite a bit more.

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-11-08          136751

There are several different blade materials commonly used. All have different edge retention and sharpening properties.

Cheap knives are made from stainless steels that are hard to sharpen and dull very quickly.

Below is a link to a primer on blade steels: ....

Link:   

Click Here

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
Billy

2006-11-08          136752

The thing about knife sharpening and how long it'll hold an edge is the intended use and angle of sharpening. ....

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2006-11-08          136756

I had a buck knife that I FOUND IN BOX OF AUCTION STUFF.
IT WAS THE "DUKE" MODEL, THE BLADE WAS CRACKED AT THE KEEL.
SENT IT BACK TO BUCK AND THEY REPLACED THE BLADE FOR FREE UNDER THIER LIFE TIME WARRANTY. BESIDES THAT IT IS A NICE KNIFE.
THE BEST I THINK I HAVE EVER HAD WAS A SCHARADE "UNCLE HENRY" LOCK BACK. THAT KNIFE DID 4 YRS IN THE ARMY WITH ME AND IT HELP ME CUT MYSELF OUT OF A TREE ON A BAD NIGHT JUMP AND I LOST IT THAT NIGHT !!!!!;( ITS IN SOME FORREST IN GERMANY RUSTING.
ALTHOUGH THESE ARE BIG POCKET KNIVES AND MIGHT BE CONSIDERED A WEAPON BY SIZE IN SOME STATES.
I DO NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT MY LEATHERMAN "MICRO" AND I KEEP HIS BIG BROTHER "SUPERTOOL" IN THE "JUNK" DRAW IN THE HOUSE ....

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
Peters

2006-11-09          136765

For safety I like a locking blade. I trimmed the end of a finger off with a new Victorinox someone gave me in Switzerland one day.
The Russell had the best steel years ago, but I have not tried a new one. Scharade is a good blade and I carried a cheap orange one for general purpose for years. I have had a KISS blade for about 10 years and I like it for its ruggedness and simplicity. ....

Link:   KISS

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-11-09          136767

KT

I use knives at my work. I have an old Buck 110 with the brass inset on the handle very common knife I bought it in 1976 well worn but a good knife. I also have a buck 110 with the grafite handle it is 15 years old. Both will fit just fine beside your wallet in the back pocket even at church. I have a schrade lock back maybe 5 years old it has taken a lot of abuse holds a great edge. My father passed down a Old Timer with the the two blades that he carried with him since 1964 the blades now look like razors. Gerber is a great knife excellent at holding an edge. I have had no luck with K-Bar. Stay away from frost cutlery and that crap they sell on TV.
I bought my son a buck, very nice rubber grip skinning knife. For passing along I would have to choose the BUCK 110 with the brass handle. Looks good and lasts.

good luck ....

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
Billy

2006-11-09          136769

Peters,

I was a meat cutter for 25 years and I guess I've used more R H Forschner (Victorinox) knives than anything else. Easy to sharpen and hold an edge pretty well.

Of course it wasn't a pocket knife. ....

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
Peters

2006-11-09          136770

We bought our first R H Forschner for the kitchen last year. I have not had to sharpen it yet so can not comment on the steel. I worked down the road from the old Russell Harrington factory for years. I am afraid I stocked up on the factory outlet prices. The steel was pretty good and the price was very good. ....

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-11-10          136786

DR, thanks for that web link. I had seen it before but forgotten it. Learned the reason I did not like the 303 Buck. As someone pointed out Buck does not use the same metal in all blades. Did not realize how much that varies with some companys and not just Buck.

WW, it is amazing how many knives are on ebay and selection.

Forgot who suggested the locking blade, but think many of us have been there, cut that. LOL but saying ohwe

Thank each of you.

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
Jackpot

2006-11-13          136867

I like the case knives,,,,,,,,like all good knives they are expensive, but the quality is unsurpassed. That's my two cents worth.........
JP ....

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-11-13          136871

Collecting and having a good knife was something many admired in the past. Like anything these days, they are cheap, not as durable and not made to last. We are a throw away society. Because of the availability of nearly everything, heirlooms are becoming a thing of the past. I've found that you can get what seems to be a good Buck or Case knife for about $20.00 to $40.00. I've made a few contributions to the NRA and renewed memberships for $30.00 and they give you a Buck knife. ....

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
Peters

2006-11-13          136874

I was suprised to see the Victorinox Swiss army knives are cheaper here than in Switzerland. A lot of the European companies also use them as give aways. I probably have a dozen over the years with different names and of different sizes. No one ever gave me a Buck. I guess the plastic is easier to pad print on the name.
I am a practical type of person so if you give me something it better be useful. If grandpa was giving me a knife I would want it in my pocket not a keep sake in the drawer. ....

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-11-14          136879

It is becoming more popular to have knives made with wooden sides from Brazilian walnut or some type of Chinese tree. The quality of workmanship and type of wood is not up to yesteryears standards. Typically, the giveaway product has the name acid etched in the blade instead of engraved in the handles for low cost. ....

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-11-14          136882

Peters, I like your sentiment. ....

Pocket Knife

View my Photos
Peters

2006-11-14          136897

Thanks Ken; To that end, I said I have been given about a dozen swiss army knives, most the larger ones, and I have given them all away except a small Xerox one I kept in my travelling shaving kit, at least until 2001. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login