Go Bottom Go Bottom

Coyote control

View my Photos
rstormer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-09-16          135221

Anyone out there with coyote control experience? They are all over Ohio and some are living in a natural wash on the property. They unfortunately are a danger to the domesticated animals. Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Coyote control

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-09-16          135222

I'm a sheep rancher in Western Kentucky, I use llamas. Was losing 2-3 head a day back in 2004. Put the first llama to work the 3rd of July that year, predator attacks stopped within 3 weeks. Have three llamas now, haven't lost another head since.

//greg// ....

Coyote control

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-09-17          135228

Check at your local Rod and Gun club. Typically there are many that do Varmints and would appreciate an inviation to help control that population.

I'm a little far away but that's what I'm doing for the neighbor who had coyotes eating a new born calf while its twin was being born they also killed the calf as it was being born. Problem is animals raised around dogs do not have fear of 4 legged critters.

Much of my winter will be calling them in or out with another group running them with dogs.

Good luck ....

Coyote control

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-09-22          135369

In Iowa and other Midwestern states, there are people who hunt them. You may want to ask around and see if anyone in yoru area does that. They may be interested in taking care of the problem for you especially since you'll give them permission to hunt on the land, you know they are there and both parties will be happy with the coyotes being gone. ....

Coyote control

View my Photos
Chief

2006-09-22          135372

This is a subject near and dear. I have a HUGE coyote problem and will be following this thread looking for some good solutions. They are getting very bold lately, coming near the house, yap yap yapping away trying to lure my dogs into their trap. They are VERY sly and cunning. I hear them regular but have only seen them once or twice. ....

Coyote control

View my Photos
Murf

2006-09-22          135374

I was talking about this with a couple of the fellas at the coffee house this morning.

One fella said they've been having really good success just west of me with a new method. They got a really high quality recording of a small dog barking made by someones kid who is a band and has a bunch of sound equipment. They then made a plywood box, and left it out in a field with food bait near it, road kills mostly. This brought in lots of animals and left plenty of scent tracks around it.

Then the key was to ride up to the box on an ATV, and put a portable CD player in the box. It seems that the coyotes don't seem to mind the ATV approaching or leaving the way they get nervous about a human scent trail. The cd player, set to repeat, will give the 'warning bark' of the small dog every few minutes and that just seems to be irresistable to the coyotes.

With a good varmint rifle they are getting 3 to 4 coyotes per night.

Best of luck. ....

Coyote control

View my Photos
Chief

2006-09-22          135375

Greg, what are Llama's selling for now? I have hear of folks around my area buying a mule or donkey for the same reasons and have claimed that the mule or donkeys would attack coyotes and keep them away. ....

Coyote control

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-09-22          135376

I've only got sheep/goat guard llamas for sale at the moment, but am going to expand into cow/calf guard llamas in the near future. The selling price reflects the time it takes to condition the llama to the species of stock that it's going to protect. Sheep/goat guard llamas take a full year of conditioning, at which time they'll sell for $500-$600 depending upon age. Cow/calf guard llamas take longer, the price will be proportionately higher. They can be conditioned for birds too; chickens/geese/ducks/et cetera - but I'm staying out of that arena.

If you know of any unwanted male llamas - preferably gelded - down your way, let me know. I buy trainable llamas whenever the price is right.

//greg// ....

Coyote control

View my Photos
Chief

2006-09-22          135378

If I see any in my area, I will let you know. It would be VERY interesting to observe how you train an animal such as this for such a specialized task. I guess the other question would be, how does a Llama defend against coyotes. I am told that a mule or donkey will try to stomp and bite the coyote. Is the Llama big enough to do this or does it just chase the coyote away? I have heard and read that Llama's are pretty smart. ....

Coyote control

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-09-22          135379

I've got a 9 year old right now that I'm sure goes over 400 pounds and stands over 7' tall. And unlike owners of "domestic" llamas, I don't cut out their fighting teeth. They've got sawtooth molars that would make a barracuda jealous. Plus their imposing height, big feet, and tendency to spit as a warning, gives coyotes and pack dogs a very good reason to pause.

Llamas are genetically predisposed to be anti-canine; blood enemies, so to speak. But they're territorial enough to run deer/snakes/squirrels/skunk/possum/coon - even turtles - out of "their" pastures soo. They've got balls bigger than brains sometimes, as they've been reported to go after big cats and bear out west. But at the same time, they're completely passive towards us two-legged critters.

I'm only about 60 miles north of you, making it economically feasible to buy down your way. But like I said, if the price is right.

//greg//

Coyote control

View my Photos
Peters

2006-09-22          135381

Ok I'm sold if it will keep the armadillo out of the pasture too.
Most in Northern MS and AL are also using the donkey. The nuts next door decided to get wolves which naturally ran off and joined the pack down in the hollow, so now we have rather large coyote. I think I mentioned our lab/border collie being attacked.

I guess I would like the Llama idea better if I could go down in the pasture and find little pieces of coyote fur all over the place or a coyote carcass or two. I think we talked about this before but a friend had Irish Wolf hounds. They would run past the timber wolves at about twice their speed as they are nearly as fast as greyhounds and pull chunks of fur off the wolves. To me this just seems more sporting and satifies my inner urge to get even. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login