Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Dodge Challenger a GO

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-02          131637

The 70s Dodge Challenger was always one of my favorite pony cars. If they put the variable displacement hemi in it I could be convinced to buy one :)

Link:   New Dodge Challenger

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-02          131642

Oh, yeah baby!

I've been saving for a few months now...

Have you seen the Challenger forum? Lots of good info and pics here.

Bill ....

Link:   Challenger Forum

View my Photos
Peters

2006-07-14          132152

I stopped in the other day and talked with a friend that is now dealing cars. The Charger RT was on the employee discount. It is a very sweet car for 25K considering the cost of vehicles these days and the technology involved. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-07-14          132156

That is a sharp looking car that closely resembles the original Challenger with an updated more modern look.

My question would be which hemi they put in it? Will it be the 6.4 liter hemi with the variable displacement feature? Even better yet, an updated version of the 426 hemi.

AND will they offer a manual shift 6 or 7 speed HEAVY duty transmission. I am fed up with automatic transmissions. Diamler Chrysler screwed the pooch when they debued the Jeep diesels with NO manual transmission option.

If an automatic is the only transmission offered; I won't be buying or much interested. Should be interesting to see what they come up with.

This is the concept that I was hoping GM would come up with for years! An updated version of the 1969 ZL-1 Camaro would definitely grab my eye! ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-07-14          132158

I think the Charger is available with the 5 sp autoshift? The challenger is reported to have the manual and the autoshift. If Chevy follows form with the Camaro it will be heavier and slower than the 69. It might just be my taste but the Camaro concept car looks like it was beat with an ugly stick. Even the interior sucks. I think the Challenger has much better proportions. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-07-14          132177

Just this past weekend I saw the Challenger in person at the all Chrysler Nationals. It Will be available with both Hemi's. As well as a Manual Trans and Possibly but Not for me the V6. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-07-14          132188

The concept car has the Viper 6-speed. So it should handle any Hemi they put in it.

The variable displacement engine seems to be a hit in the Chrysler 300. With gas prices the way they are and will be, the Challenger is still under development...I can't imagine they won't put a variable displacement engine in it.

With the price point Dodge is trying to reach with this car (competing with the Mustang) I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes from the concept car. Hopefully some of the more intersting bits, like the 6-speed, will at least be availabe as options.

Bill ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-07-15          132216

I have read they are going to use the 5 speed. Why? They will have the 500 hp hemi but not likely in the first year. I guess they want to spread out the buzz. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-07-17          132279

I'm glad they are coming out with the Challenger. It's what the Charger should have been - a 2 door. Final specs will depend on cost and fuel mileage - strike a balance. Dodge/Daimler is on a role with good looking vehicles. Too bad the others 2 American manufacturers haven't figured out how to style a car yet (Ford GT and Mustang excluded, they rock!)

As someone mentioned, the Camaro concept car was one ugly car. Course, this from the same company that produced the Pontiac Aztec... ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-07-17          132292

Yes the Challenger looks good from all sides.
It is hard to know what the GM designers are up to. Attached is the website for a Camaro group with the pictures of the concept car. Some amateur morphed the pictures of the concept car slightly and I would say it is a 100% improvement. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally the gen 1 Avalanche styling which they moved across the truck line was as bad as the Aztec. ....

Link:   Camaro

View my Photos
DenisS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-18          132326

I'm sorry folks, but I'm definitely not on the same page with you when it comes to the new Challenger. The concept car weighs around 4200lb. I imagine it will get even more bloated by the time it becomes a production car. It's too fat. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-07-18          132328

where did you get that weight from? ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-07-18          132330

Motor Trend cover story. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-07-18          132332

Oof. At 4200 lbs, the car would be too heavy. They should be targeting 3500-3600 lbs as a reasonable weight. Ideally, 3200 would be better. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-07-18          132334

That's what I'm saying. This thing can sure accellerate, but I don't know how good it'll handle on the turns. I love the looks of it, I just wish it was a 1000lb lighter. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-07-18          132335

The 300C and the Charger with the MDS Hemi both run about 4100 pounds and they get 25 mpg Highway.
The displacement of weight is almost a dead even 50 / 50 and with the cab forward design where the wheels are in the 4 corners, the handling is suberb and the weight keeps you to the ground and gives you those 5 Star ratings everyone wants. The rear wheel drive gives us all back the feeling of being pushed around a corner verus that fish tail feeling. Plus when going up spongy traction roads you don't need to fight the steering as the tires try to grab.
the 5.7L MDS Hemi has 345 hp and with a 4100 pound car delivers 25 mpg, so I'll keep the weight and watch that Challenger DIG IN when the pedal is pressed on that 426 Hemi. "Vanishing Point and Bullett" will soon be in Theaters near you. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-07-18          132336

"superb handling" is a catchfrase for a commercial. Let's talk actual numbers.

The concept weighs in at 4120lb with carbonfiber body - will be more when it's sheet metal and additional "family friendly" features are added on.

The new Challenger gives a 0.8g on the skidpad (as I remember from the Motor trend article). What kinda cornering is that for a performance car?

gas mileage is estimated at 14 city, 20 highway, very good compared with the original Challenger (1970) and roughly the same as today’s smallest, most underpowered Hummer.

All for an expected $35K. Add another $5K and you can have a real sports car, say a Corvette?

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-07-18          132346

I missed the part about the .8g's on the skidpad. In fact, the articles I read admitted the concept car was basically for looks and market response (thus the term "concept car") and that no performance numbers would be possible with it. The show tires rubbed on even moderate steering input and on bumps, I assume. One article said that a 0-60 of 4.25 (or was it 4.5?) seconds was believable with the 6.1 liter Hemi, but no timed runs were made.

The latest article I saw mentioned that the body was all carbon fiber; earlier reports said only the hood was.

Honestly, I don't expect DC to market this car as competition for the Corvette. If they can keep the price down, it should be a good competitor for the 'Stang. And I'm still betting on at least two engine options, at least one of which will have the variable-displacement system.

Maybe a Challenger T/A in 2010?

Bill ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-07-19          132358

Sorry, Dodge already has its competition for the Corvette and side by side the Corvette is a distant second. I am speakin of the Viper......
The Challenger is NOT a Family Car, that is why it may be a two door.
I have NOT heard of the 5.7L MDS Hemi being put in and as far as I know the 6.1L is NOT an MDS as is currently used in the SRTs, except for the SRT-10 which has the Viper V-10. Our reports (which are sometimes not as good as the consumer's) says there will be NO MANUAL Transmission, but then again they were talking about a 08 release and moved it up only after the hits broke all previous records for any concept car inquiry. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-07-19          132364

That's probably a minor point, but Corvette base price is just under $40K, whereas the Viper retails for $85,750. So it's not very fair to put the two in the same category. As far as Viper is concerned I don't know if it has any direct competitors in the similar price range. Wouldn't mind having it in my driveway myself :) ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-07-19          132391

I think you better re look at the Vette. The camparo to the Viper is the ZO6 Hmmm at what price? ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-07-19          132412

One of the internet rumors I saw (supposedly from a dealer "in the know") was that no AUTOMATIC would be available.

I don't have any evidence about the multi-displacement system, only common sense and a look at gasoline prices and trends.

Good info. Can't wait to see how it all shakes out.

I hope the production car doesn't sprout goofy chrome bumpers. I hate when that happens.

Bill ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-07-20          132416

Bill

Your dealer has it bass ackwards.
NO MANUAL, there will be an Automatic and there is a wait see on the Manual. Road & Track showed a Manual in their write up, but Manuals limit the customer base and D/C wants to sell them not show them. All the Internal Info so far is Auto and a wait see on the manuals.
How many of you have driven the Charger with the MDS Hemi? We have several here and I drove a Nice Black R/T and I will say, It was an awesome drive and not even a Flashback except for the name. The old cars were stiff and swayed as compared to the New Tech in their Namesakes. The responsiveness is Great as is the Handling. The Cars may resemble in appearance their ole namesakes but once you drive one of the New ones, it is the wishes of the past come true. Great Car, am looking forward to the Challenger and I have two sold. By the way don't expect any rebates, incentives etc, You will probably be looking at over MSRP at most dealers. There is a HIGH demand currently for the first productions and most dealers have their allocations sold and then some.
Good Luck and it is going to be a sweet car... and Denis, it isn't being built for family, it is being built for the Baby-Bomers who want ONE MORE FLING before they get their WINGS. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-07-20          132419

wingwiper,

I'm all too happy for the balding baby boomers who are gonna get a chance to drive a car they couldn't afford when they were young :)

but you prove my point when you say that the car will only come with an automatic - this is another family-friendly feature.

I think I'm being too negative on the Challenger. It's an awesome car for what it is: a traditional American gas-guzzler with obscene loads of power and sex-appeal and a total lack of handling. ;) ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-07-20          132421

Allot of us "old guys" have had knee injuries over the years. We have problems with dumping clutches. Ouch! We have to live with automatics. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-07-20          132423

I haven't driven a Charger but would like to. If we hadn't bought my wife a car a couple of years ago, we would be test driving a 300 immediately. We both like them a lot.

I'm hoping for a manual transmission in the Challenger, but never held much hope that they would actually put the Viper 6-speed in it. I bet that is one expensive chunk of metal. Does DC even have any other standard transmissions (other than for trucks or fwd's)? Maybe one from a Mercedes counterpart.

The automatic would dim my enthusiasm by about 1/10 of a point. To 99.9

Not too worried about getting one in 2008...I'll likely wait a year or two for two reasons: Maybe snag a nice used one, and to see if any different option groups come out.

Thanks,
Bill ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-20          132424

Only 1/10 of a percent? My enthusiasm went down by about 20%. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-07-20          132425

My last auto was in a 340 Volare, and I didn't mind at all. Usually I'm all for standards, though. Didn't have my fwd Shelby's any other way.

Bill ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-07-27          132737

The last rumor I read was about engine/transmission options and pricing.

The DC rep was quoted as saying that two engines would be available, similar to the 2006 Charger. 5.7 Hemi and 6.1 SRT Hemi. I assume the 5.7 would be the same or similar to the 350 HP engine in the Charger R/T. Transmission choice is going to be either the 5-speed manual or 5-speed automatic. I read that to mean one or the other, not both available.

On price, the rep was quoted as saying right in line with the current Charger. Which means low $30,000 range for the 5.7; low-to-mid $40,000 for the SRT 6.1.

This effectively rules out the bigger engine for me. Although I wouldn't rule out the 5.7 version.

Hopefully DC will firm this up a bit in the weeks to come.

Bill ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-08-08          133083

DC is sticking with their story (at least to consumers) that the Challenger will be available with a manual transmission. Reply from Doctor Z about the production Challenger:

The Dodge Challenger concept was shown in January 2006, with great fan fare and public response. The all-new Dodge Challenger will make its debut as a 2008 model, in calendar-year 2008. True to both its historical and modern concept car roots, the 2008 Dodge Challenger will be offered as a two-door, HEMI V-8 powered, manual-transmission, and
rear-drive coupe.

We can still hope this is true. But so much for a late-2007 release.

Bill ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-08-08          133085

Roll the drums... I'm gonna do a complete 360 here. I've been thinking how damn bad Challenger would look in black and 2008 seems just about the time I'll be needing a new car :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login