Go Bottom Go Bottom

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
RollTideRam
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-13          126037

I plan to start buying off road fuel 50 gals at a time. I have a rack to put drums on that is 4' high so I can gravity fill the tractor. Any recommendations on this type of setup? Thanks, JC

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-13          126061

I had a 55 gal drum and a hand pump, I even added a filler pipe to extend out to 2 1/2 " diameter for the fuel truck nozzle. I was STILL told they didn't really want to come all the way out to my place for a mere 55 gals or to top off a 55 gal drum. So I went an bought a 165 gal tank off of a farmer for 100 bucks, came with another hand pump.
You might check with your fuel company to see what they will do.. One complaint that they did tell me was that the guy couldn't see when it was nearing full, I offered to put a Tank indicator on the top and they still inssited it wasn;'t worth their time. ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
RollTideRam

2006-03-13          126063

I did not think about getting it delivered. Figured I'd put it in the truck to get it filled and unload with the FEL. JC ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-13          126069

I can certainly understand your desire to save some money on fuel but I don't think you will find much if any economy in off road diesel at 50 gallons at a time. Off road diesel still has sales tax applied to it. Ag diesel does not. You should still be filtering the off road diesel when pumping it from your storage container. Depending upon how long you store it; you should treat it with fuel stabilizers and anti-microbiocide. The cost of the pump and all of these other things I think add up to counter act much if not all of the economy of just buying what you need at the COOP off road diesel pump unless you already own the tanks, pumps, filters, etc. Most petroleum distributors require a minimum of 250 gallons to deliver in my area. Anyhow, good luck with it. If you can qualify to get Ag diesel and you use enough, might be worth looking into. ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
RollTideRam

2006-03-14          126088

What I'm calling Off road is sold a some local stations for 30 cents a gallon less. I may just get 20 or so gallons and will gravity fill the tractor. Not buying a pump. Good idea to add some treatment to it. JC ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-14          126098

I get Ag (off Road) delivered, UNCUT to my place, I use Power Service and double the amount for the 165 gal tank. I have had NO problems with gelling and would rather keep away from cutting with Kerosene if I can.
The stuff at the Service Stations is cut 50/50 with Kerosene and even though Kerosene is cheaperthey seem to keep the price up there.
I saved over 60 cents per gallon having it delivered in quanity over pump price. ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
RRagent

2006-03-14          126118

Chief, You mentioned fuel filter, What type of filter can I use when filling up tractor out of 5 gallon metal can,This has been on my mind for quite a while now, ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-14          126126

About the only thing you can use when filling from a 5 gallon can is something like a Filter Funnel. Below is a link to a supplier. I think there are others out there that sell under the Filter Funnel brand name. Do a google search and see what comes up. I understand these funnels work very well at removing water. The pump at the station you fill up your 5 gallon can is already filtered. I think there are some threads about these funnels in the TP fuel, oil, and lubricants section as well. ....

Link:   WATER SEPARATING FUEL FUNNEL 8-3/4"

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-03-14          126139

Those water filtering fuel funnels are fun. Pour water in the input end and it won't drain, pour in some fuel and out it comes. You have to be careful to not add water dispersal additives before filtering, otherwise the filter won't trap it. It will still trap other particles though. ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-16          126166

Two points come to mind when I read this thread.

First, Rolltide, bear in mind, a standard steel 55 gallon drum weighs about 35 pounds, the diesel fuel will weigh another 7 pounds per gallon, for 55 gallons, 385 pounds, plus the drum, for a total of about 420 pounds. That's a lot of weight to jockey around and place.

RRagent, and others, don't use a galvanized metal container for storing diesel fuel. The diesel will disolve the zinc plating and it will clog your injectors and pump over time.

Best of luck.

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
RRagent

2006-03-16          126188

Thanks for the information, I'll get rid of can ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
RollTideRam

2006-03-16          126203

After some thought on this, I will probably just buy 25 gallons at first and see how long that will last. I work in a paint manufacturing plant. I move drums around most every day. We use drum dollies and forklifts most of the time. But we always move them around by hand. Of course I don't have a concrete pad at home. Diesel weighs about the same as most ingredients in paint, but our paint weighs between 9 and 13 pounds a gallon. Maybe breaking these drums over for the last 12 years is why my elbows hurt all the time.
I will use the tractor to lift the drum out of the truck, and set onto the drum rack. JC ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-03-18          126299

I can count on one hand how many tanks of fuel I have used over the last year. Unless you have an aweful lot of tractor work planned I dont see the need for large storage.
Then again though, my service station I get it from is only 9 miles away.
Also, where I live you dont have to , qualify, for any ag discount. If your using it in agricultural vehicals you get the tax discount. All they ask is if its AG use or not. Ya dont need to show em a tax number or anything like that. ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-03-18          126302

I keep a 50 gallon tank of off-road diesel in the garage. I used to go through it a lot faster when I had the RTV.

Anyway, it is a pick-up bed type tank bolted to a pallet. I just pick it up with the tractor and put it in the truck when it needs filling. I use a 12 volt, 7 GPM fuel transfer pump From Northern Tool to fill the tractor.

It is still a useful thing to have since I have a 10KW PTO Generator and I live at the last power pole on the line.

Before I got the gen-set we had several extended power outages. Wouldn't ya know? Not one serious outage in the last two years? ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
Chief

2006-03-19          126309

In Tennessee, off road and Ag diesel are treated differently. Off road diesel can be purchased by anyone at the pump and only the state and govt. taxes are exempt. Sales taxes are STILL paid on off road diesel. Ag diesel is exempt from sales taxes in addition to the other taxes. In order to obtain Ag diesel; you must fill out paperwork at the petroleum distributor proving you are qualified to purchase Ag diesel. Usually with Dept. Agriculture farm # or schedule F on your income tax return. The diesel comes out of the same pump or truck, but depending upon if it is being called off road or Ag diesel makes a difference of about 9.75%. ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-03-21          126401

IF you have a vendors license or a tax number do you still have to pay the state and federal road tax on diesel? ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-03-21          126402

If you can qualify to get Ag diesel

Chief
What are the requirements to qualify to get Ag diesel? ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-03-21          126403

though Kerosene is cheaper .

==========
Kerosene is about 50 cents more a gallon than diesel here.

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-03-21          126404

Chief, You mentioned fuel filter, What type of filter can I use when filling up tractor out of 5 gallon metal can,This has been on my mind for quite a while now,
RRagent
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You want a MR Funnel for that.
Don't use an ordinary filter with a screen in it as it will let water go right through it into your tractor tank.
Mr Funnel filters water out of fuels and prevents it from entering your tractors tank. ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-03-21          126405

Before I got the gen-set we had several extended power outages. Wouldn't ya know? Not one serious outage in the last two years?

DRankin
=======
See it worked didn't it. ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-03-21          126407

I keep a 50 gallon tank of off-road diesel in the garage
DRankin
===========
I would never keep gas diesel and the like In a garage basement or building because that's a real fire hazard.
That's why I store mine in an old freezer. ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-03-21          126413

"I would never keep gas diesel and the like In a garage basement or building because that's a real fire hazard."

Better tell that to the thousands of houses who have a 275 gal basement fuel oil tank.

The oil furnace in my place up north went out this winter so I'll be taking oil heat out completely. I still have over 100 gals in the tank and I figured I would use Murf's trick of putting five pounds or so of air pressure in the tank and lifting it out that way. I might just fill my Kubota from the basement. I'd have about a years worth of fuel then.
Dave ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-03-21          126418

Better tell that to the thousands of houses who have a 275 gal basement fuel oil tank.

================
It's still a fire hazard regardless of how many or how few.

Most people have natural gas here.
Those That don't use LP gas.
The few that use fuel oil have the tank installed outside. ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-03-21          126420

================
Where do they put the tanks for houses without basements? ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-03-21          126421

"I would never keep gas diesel and the like In a garage basement or building because that's a real fire hazard."

Gotta keep it somewhere.

When you park your car or your tractor in the garage you are storing fuel too........

And then there is the propane for the camping stove, the six pack of brake cleaner, the cleaning solvents, the lawn mower/chainsaw/pressure washer/concrete mixer/log splitter and such(all with gas), Coleman lantern fuel, a couple gallons of diesel additives, left over stains and paints.... yada, yada.....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-21          126427

I'm a little confused about the fire hazard involved here.

We are, after all, talking about diesel fuel (or furnace oil, almost the same thing) and NOT gasoline.

The flash point, which is the point at which the vapours given off by the fuel will ignite, gasoline for instance has a very low flash point, about -45° F.

Diesel on the other hand has a flash point of 125° F., but even then it is not a very volatile fuel, you have to work to keep it burning.

Now LP gas on the other hand, is a real threat, I would never have a LP cylinder within 10 feet of my house, let alone pipe it in. It is not only extremely volatile, but it has a low boil point, meaning it stays in gas form, and it's heavier than air, which means any leaking gas will settle to the lowest point of the house and fill the house until it either ignites, or is released another way.

A house not to far from here was blown off it's foundation, and had to be torn down after the nimrod owner left his BBQ tank valve on with the BBQ in the garage (so he could grill all winter). The LP leaked and when he hit the garage door opener to go to work in the morning, the garage was blown off the house with such force it moved the house too.

I hope the steaks were at least tasty.

Best of luck. ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-03-21          126429

Some people have little choice but to use LP. I'd recommend to anyone who as LP that they install combustible gas detectors. Ours are so sensitive that spraying a little WD-40 two rooms over sets them off. ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-18          127909

You should still be filtering the off road diesel when pumping it from your storage container. Chief

==========

What do I need for a filter set up on a 15 gallon storage tank?
Where do I get the parts? ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
Chief

2006-04-18          127911

I have a fuel filter pumped onto the pump mounted on the tank on my refueling rig. Take a look at my profile picture #3. ....

Storing off road fuel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-28          128488

Most petroleum distributors require a minimum of 250 gallons to deliver in my area.
Here it's 150 Gal. but there are various ways around that.

First, Rolltide, bear in mind, a standard steel 55 gallon drum weighs about 35 pounds, the diesel fuel will weigh another 7 pounds per gallon, for 55 gallons, 385 pounds, plus the drum, for a total of about 420 pounds. That's a lot of weight to jockey around and place.
Ah ! but you doesn't hasta fill it clear full which reduces the weight. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login