Go Bottom Go Bottom

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-07          172886

Does anyone have an Android phone?

Which Model?

How do you like it?

Compared to Smartphone, Iphone etc.

I have Samsung Blackjack II which I like, but the screen is real small compared to the Iphone, I also have a Blackberry which I don't like as i can't see the keys well without glasses.

Making the leap from a qwerty keyboard to a touchscreen has me dubious as to whether I would like it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-07          172887

Do you mean Droid? Not sure my phone qualifies as an android--it's a T-Mobile G-1 using android operating system. Has a slide up screen w/ qwerty board. If I slide the screen back down a touchscreen board pops up. I actually got rid of my home PC internet service and use my phone for internet now. I pay bills on it, use the map GPS feature for finding customers' homes, search the web, listen to prerecorded music and talk shows, and even use it as a... well, a phone. In fact I'm typing this on it. It is also a camera and video recorder. With all the different free apps available this thing is heaven-sent. One app I have is a speedometer. My dump truck speedo doesn't work so all I do is set the phone on the dashpad and away I go, Mr. Occifer, sir. ....

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-08-07          172891

EW;
So who do you listen to, Opra or Dr. Phil? ....

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-08-07          172892

Dr. Phil 'cause he prolly looks like a much younger version of you---without the moustache!

So how's THAT workin' fer ya? in the words of the Doc. ....

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-08-07          172894

At work there are a mix of Android and iPhones. The owners of both are loyal to their brand. From an observers opinion iPhones are less desirable in our business environment because AT&Ts network generally sucks and because they seem much more difficult to get working with the corporate network.

IMO, I despise smartphones and won't use one. Their battery life generally sucks and the manufacturers seem to place the ability to actually send and receive calls way down the priority list. People are always futzing to resolve problems with them such as eating batteries in an hour, not recharging, rebooting sporadically, failing to ring when calls are made, delivering voice mail a week after the call was placed, etc, etc. So I always buy a phone that makes and receives calls and does nothing else.

It also bugs the heck out of me that people become literally addicted to them. They can't hold conversations, watch movies, or have a quiet meal without having to check the damn phones for something or other.

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-08-07          172895

KW tell us how you really feel there buddy!
Me hopes you get new shocks pronto on the Toyotty! ....

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-08-07          172896

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 172895
KW tell us how you really feel there buddy!Me hopes you get new shocks pronto on the Toyotty!

The Toyotty now has it's third set of KYBs in three years. They said if (i.e. when) they go out again they will replace them with Bilsteins for the cost diff. I'm gonna miss that shock-free wallowing that brings back memories 60s Caddies. ....

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-08-08          172899

EW;
Now most anyone is better lookin than Doc. including me.
Besides he is the second most annoying guy on TV after Billy the Exterminator. ....

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-08-08          172900

KW;
Possibly you and I should start a crusade, I like keeping things simple too.
The cell phone I have now will perform two functions, it will call someone when I punch in the numbers, it will ring when someone calls me. When I bought it I told the teeny bopper who sold it to me that I wanted all the other stuff turned off, messages, texting, and what ever else it could do. Ok, she said, but you'll pay for it anyhow, fine, I just don't want all that annoying crap. My pickup truck, an 07, still has crank windows and the simpilest radio you could get, I don't think you can buy one like that anymore, but if you could I would.
OH, now EW, we do have indoor plumbing, life is a bit too simple without it, my childhood memories tell me that.
Frank. ....

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-08-08          172906

Frank there's a big difference between KEEPING it simple and BEING simple. Tehehehe

Which one are you? Gimme some luv. ....

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-08-08          172911

EW;
I've always PRETENDED be a bit on the simple side. That way I never got put in charge of anything I could mess up. Let the Johnny Do-Gooders take charge, there always seem to be plenty of them to go around, some are even called politicians, if I spelled that right. ....

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
Murf

2010-08-09          172926

I had a Blackberry for a few years, also the Palm Treo.

I've tried the Android, but still prefer the iPhone. It does absolutely everything I need it to do, plus a whole bunch of really handy extras that the others won't (or can't) do for me. It even keeps track of my flying time and where I've been and feeds my position out into a secure server where anyone I choose can follow my progress, or hopefully it's never needed, my last known position. It even connects directly into the intercom system and streams music, weather warnings, position, and the telephone itself into my headset.

Until you've used an iPhone some it's hard to believe all it can do.

Best of luck. ....

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-08-09          172928

I went with iPhone a few months back. When it works it is great. But my IP recently went to using Google Mail..boy am I having emails problems now. Was getting them fine on both iPhone and office computer, they can not get to work without using the word "recent" in there causing ALL emails even sent ones to show up in the inbox of bot phones. If anyone has suggestion on that it would be appreciated. My IP are clueless.

The other two negatives I have with the iPhone at least through AT&T is I don't have service where my old flip phone did and Apple will not allow insurance on them. With the price they are that prevents me from toting my phone when running a piece of machinery.

For most part get along with the key board well but have Otter case on it making the outside keys touchy but really like the voice recognition on it. It does not have to be trained or anything. It does a great job. Don't have to unlock phone to use it either, just press and hold and in few seconds it pops up in voice mode for calling. You can give it name of person in your data base or call out the number. My most like feature on the phone.

GPS is hit and miss for me. But considering there is no extra cost for it like it. Have learned if does not give you route in one mode such as driving then ask for the directions walking. No idea why but have had to do that for certain routes.

Went with smart phone mostly to have calendar and clients info on phone and computer in office. Does that well that there are now sync programs out there. ....

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-08-09          172929

This past Saturday on the Kim Komando radio program she did say there is real issues with the receiving on the iPhone 4 for she has used one. You may do well to visit her site, been a while since I was there. ....

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-08-09          172932

KT;
Since I cannot offer any meaningfull advice my suggestion would be to drop it in the nearest toilet, or perhaps a 16 oz. claw hammer. ....

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
yooperpete

2010-08-09          172933

About 3 or 4 months ago, I changed from a basic Nextel to a Sprint Droid. My service provider sells, Nextel, Sprint, Verizon and a couple others. Was allowed to have it 3 weeks and if not satisified, could cancel the switch.

After 2 1/2 weeks, I ended up switching back to Nextel and went with the BlackBerry. It is real, real slow on the internet and anything that requires data transmission like the GPS due to its 2G vs: 3G network but otherwise OK.

I was having trouble with reception inside of any buildings, and was impossible to get anything at all in the metal building at the shop even in front of a big window. Bought an antenna booster and all that stuff without any luck.

I'm not good with the touch screen and just by changing the grip on the phone, I'd drop calls and switch applications. Just moving the phone next to my face would sometimes also change the application. They came out with a new HTC phone a couple of weeks after switching that has improved reception, etc. Just like anyther Obama offers, it just missed me. I carry mine in an open face Otto as well in my shirt pocket. Clip on the belt annoys me and keeps falling out while looking kinda nerdy!

Nextel, Sprint and Verizon give good business rate discounts vs AT&T. It's about 1/2 the cost of AT &T.

I'm more like Hardwood. I use it for phone calls and cleaning out the spam in my mailbox when away from my desk. My mailbox gets full in a very short time, since spam still gets through all the filters at about 1 spam every 3-5 minutes from 6 am to about 10pm - 6 days a week but slows down somewhat on Sundays giving me relief.

Guess I'm too old and just don't like everybody being in my face all day long trying to scam me out of everything I've ever worked for. Everybody has an emergency that happened about 6 months ago and finally wants to get hold of me today, such that I can fix it in the next day or so, otherwise I'm not a reliable vendor. Meanwhile they don't have a clue what it takes to get the job done and I should do it for nothing since their company has no money but will remember me in the future when some new monies are available. ....

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
Murf

2010-08-09          172940

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 172928
I went with iPhone a few months back. When it works it is great. But my IP recently went to using Google Mail..boy am I having emails problems now. Was getting them fine on both iPhone and office computer, they can not get to work without using the word "recent" in there causing ALL emails even sent ones to show up in the inbox of bot phones. If anyone has suggestion on that it would be appreciated. My IP are clueless.

It sounds like the problem is in the settings they used to forward the mail to Gmail.

Send me an email describing the problem better, I'll see if I can make any sense of it.

If you can send email that is. LOL

Best of luck. ....

Android Phone Review

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-08-09          172953

Ok guys, just a point to ponder.
The number of movies I've been to in a theater during my adult life you could count on two hands and have a couple fingers left over. I always thought they were a waste of time.
Anyhow one of the movies I did see was something about a guy who built a robot that got too smart, got out of control and made slaves out of all the humans.
Ever think those blinky beepy dodaads you guys seem to worship might be the beginning of somethinmg like the robot in the movie? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login