Go Bottom Go Bottom

difference in two mowers

View my Photos
otis311
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-04-09          152859

Im new to the tractor scene, Im looking at 2 different mowers for my tractor. one is a finish mower the other is a rotery cutter. I need to mow several different areas but dont need them to look like a golf course green, will the cutters be sufficiant ?? Or are they just for knocking down fields and over growth ??

Thanks for the replies

Bob

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

difference in two mowers

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-09          152860

A rotary cutter will cut grass fine but it won't be a finish cut. The cut will look a bit uneven and the clippings will be larger (not mulch) so you'll see more brown, dead grass for awhile after mowing. Also, the rotary cutter won't follow the terrain as well so you might end up with more scalping. ....

difference in two mowers

View my Photos
otis311

2008-04-10          152862

Thanks for the answer

Much appreciated ....

difference in two mowers

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-10          152866

Sounds like you should consider a flail mower too Otis. They combine the best features of both the finish mower and rotary cutter.

//greg// ....

difference in two mowers

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-04-10          152868

Otis,
What type of growth will you be cutting? small trees, heavy brush, rough grass, mostly or totally grass without brush or large clumping grass?
Then, what do will you use those areas for? already realize you are not expecting golf course finish.

difference in two mowers

View my Photos
otis311

2008-04-10          152871

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 152868
Otis,What type of growth will you be cutting? small trees, heavy brush, rough grass, mostly or totally grass without brush or large clumping grass? Then, what do will you use those areas for? already realize you are not expecting golf course finish.

Two different situations. One , Ill be mowing two lawns and I will also be knocking overgrowth down and mowing it afterwards trying to get it to resemble a lawn. No small trees or anything like that ....

difference in two mowers

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-04-10          152875

It can get complex, so here are some generalities to plug in.

Main decision is mower location -- midmount or rear. The MM reduces the rig's length and increases its stability, but it's more work to service, attach, and detach and store, and costs more. With a rear you could have a flail or brush-hog-type for rough stuff and a finish for good turf.

If there's lots of brush and crud you want a flail or equivalent at first. The more you mow, the better the turf gets.

You tend to want the widest your tractor will handle BUT with a narrower one you can finish as soon by going faster, and if the ground is uneven it will follow it better.

Tractor attachments are supposed to be universal, but with a mower there's both attachment and power connections, so make sure everything fits. And mowers can bite, so get someone to go over the safety precautions. And instructions on servicing (belts, blades, lube, etc.). ....

difference in two mowers

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-04-10          152881

Otis, I have never used a MMM but agree with what "auerbach" had to say about them.

If you are cutting lawns, you need a mower to give a finish cut. Rather I will say you MUST have a finish mower to give a finish cut. Depending on the overgrowth you may be able to cut it with a finishing mower and not harm the mower if more or less just overgrown grass and no trees or shrubs. If so take it slow and with the mower raised and then in a few days cut it again a little lower and so forth until it suits you.

I have used both a RFM and Flail mower and will say quickly the flail mower has advantages but it sure had disadvantages. It's advantage to me was it does not throw something like a rotary mower can or will. However if you run it with the roller in contract with the ground as I was told to you can not turn without either lifting it or damaging the truf. At least with my mower and tractor combo that was the case. The other part was the flail mower's cut look like a lot of little rows when viewed in line with the direction the tractor ran. My mower was a finish cut flail mower per the company that sold it. My wife looked at it and quickly said....NO and I agreed. The cut would make you think the cutters were not straight, but had 45% angles but there did not. This was the only flail mower I have ever used on my lawn so it may have been it or me. Have used one a goob bit on rough cutting and like them there very well.

If you decide on a RFM, they make both a side and a rear discharge. I wish I had bought the rear discharge so I could cut close on either side.

Almost forgot, your lawn grass, are you able to cut it with a rotary mower now or is the grass so fine you need a reel mower? kt

difference in two mowers

View my Photos
Art White

2008-04-11          152900

Most multi blade mowers will cut either lawn or field but between a field mower and a lawn style there will be a loss of cut quality for either in the other use.

I've used finish mowers in fields with grasses and I've seen the Bush Hog squealer twin 84" do a great job on a lawn when set right.

I'd buy the mower for the lawn but look for cast iron spindles that are long, they stay together better. Try to find a multi V-belt instead of a single and cast iron pulley for the belt will also help. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login