Go Bottom Go Bottom

Pre-sale TC33D PTO Battery Corrosion questions

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-23          55446

I'm getting conflicting information on the hydro TC33D PTO. The manual says it's live, but the sales guy says it's live-independent. Can anyone here confirm whether it's really live-independent?

Also, I asked him about the battery related corrosion issues with it and he said he had heard about it in hotter climates where the battery might overheat but not in cooler climates like western Oregon where we live. Are there any TC33 owners in cool climates that have seen this problem? This is not a show-stopper problem for me but I'm just curious.

Thanks to all for your invaluable information!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Leonard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-24          55457

I bought a TC33D new last fall (in Michigan)and it had a bad battery - wouldn't hold charge for more than a week or two. The dealer replaced it under warranty but it had bubbled acid out the top and sprayed it all over the front of the radiator. It was a real mess - I cleaned it up with water and baking soda to neutralize the acid. I don't think any serious damage was done other than burning off some paint on the radiator and plate under the battery. I sprayed the radiator with WD40, the battery plate with black oil (used for chains and 5th wheels) and greased the battery posts. With the new battery we seem to be OK now.

Really don't know about the PTOs - I've never used them.
Thanks, Leonard

View my Photos
TomG

2003-05-24          55458

Live means the pto can be clutched independent of the TX and independent means the pto drive is independent of the TX. A gear driven pto with a HST would be live and independent almost by definition. From a user's perspective with gear tractors, 'live' is the important thing and whether 'live' is done independently or not is more of an engineering issue.

I've been running an automotive battery in my Ford for about 3 years and haven't noticed any corrosion. The vents are in the battery caps and they face forward. The corrosion issue on some NH tractors has been discussed here before but the battery location and air circulation may different than my Ford. I don't seem to have the problem.

The climate is cool here but I'm sort of wondering how much the air temp would have to do with the amount of fumes a battery would emit.

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-24          55472

The NH specifications indicate that all hydrostatic boomers through the TC33D are Live, and the TC35 and above are all independent. Obviously I'm still learning. The "Compact Tractor Book" says that nearly all hydrostatic tractors have are live independent, but the NH specs say otherwise, thus my confusion. I guess the important question is can the PTO be engaged and disengaged while the tractor is in motion? In other words, can I screw it up?

I lived in Arizona for 25 years, and batteries there seemed to have an exceedingly short life - usually about 1/2 the warranty period. We bought the best maintenance-free batteries we could find and still had to add water to them, so it seemed that batteries definitely boil off more water in hot climates. So, my experience does not contradict what the NH dealer says about TC battery corrosion probs. In our cooler climate here I have never had to add water.

View my Photos
treeman

2003-05-24          55474

I live in Wisconsin and am having my radiator replaced because of acid damage. The dealer went to a multi-state dealer conference and said all dealers are complaining. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2003-05-24          55475

I just made a 2.5 inch tall riser that enables me to run a Optima sealed battery. It's a 750 CCA battery that should solve the problem. I wish I had a digital camara.... ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-05-24          55476

It looks like treeman's experience refutes the NH dealers "it only happens in hot climates" theory. If it happens in Wisconsin it can happen anywhere. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-05-24          55478

In my experience the acid on the top of the battery problem is not normally just boil off. There is a vent in the case that can be plugged but it should vent at the edge to the bottom.
Acid leaking is often the seal at the posts. Underneath the cap is a plastic seal(normally epoxi) that seals the post to the case. My guess is that NH is supplying cheap batteries and the supplier has a poor sealing system.

I am not sure I like the location as it takes a lot of pounding. The valve regulated lead acid batteries like treeman put in are a good solution. They will retain a charge better and are less suseptable to damage with a deep discharge. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-05-24          55479

Eric, I think you're right.

It does sound like NH is suppling a cheap battery. I can't see that much difference in the rough ride from a NH, JD, Kubota, Yanmar or (insert any other tractor manufacturer here).

Unless you have an overcharging problem this shouldn't happen. I don't see this being the case.

Billy ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-24          55483

I believe I mentioned a sub-standard battery supplier in the last discussion thread about this a few weeks ago. Too many complaints about that one brand tractor to be anything else unless a charging problem shows up someplace. My Kubota has not had that problem, neither did my J/D nor does my forty+ year old Allis. Even batteries in the boats I have owned never showed an acid leak syndrome, and I can tell you on Lake Ontario they can take a pounding. ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-05-25          55542

Lead acid batteries give of fumes when charging that WILL corrode nearby metals. Unless these fumes can be properly vented away they WILL cause problems. I personally feel it is stupid to put them next to an expensive radiatior. Of course the manufacturer does sell more radiators, so it is good for them.

View my Photos
Nh dealer

2003-05-26          55674

Hey fellas the problems is an overcharging problem, you can easily fix by replacing the battery with an automotive battery or by putting a voltage resister in the alternator line to reduce the voltage that cooks the battery. Tell your dealer to fix it if they say they don't know how then they aren't trying this concern is well documented in the New holland assist program and is accessable to all dealers any dealer that can't fix this problem is a poor dealer because there are fixes available. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-05-27          55747

NH the problem will not be corrected by any automotive battery. You need either a gel battery or a motorcycle/ATV battery that vents on the bottom or through a tube. The problem is overcharging so it seems the best fix would be the resister not just using a battery that is vented differently. Correct the problem not just the symptom. NH has not offically recognized this as a problem but, with the proper documentation they will pay for the resistor fix. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-05-27          55749

If the problem is over charging then the problem is the regulator. Obviously the regulator is set at too high a voltage. Adding resistance in the line only masks the problem. I guess you could also buy the biggest battery available that will fit in the area to add resistance.
This does not explain why the new tractors on the lot with few hours have problems. It must be poor charging system and poor battery.
I have seen the same problems with my deeres so I think some is also location. In the old MF the battery rides up near the center of the tractor so it gets a smoother ride.
I am not saying the plates don't drop out of the old MF though. It all depend on how rough the field is.
Peters ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-05-28          55780

The actual fix that the dealer is doing to my tractor is to change the regulator. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login