Go Bottom Go Bottom

DYNAMO Generator Questions for B7510

View my Photos
roaf3x
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-20          118220

Does anyone have an opinion/suggestion for running a pair of 55W Fog lights for plowing with headlights on. The fog lights draw 9 AMPS. I realize the "Dynamo" is limited. Has anyone drained their BAT due to over/amping the system. Kubota Tech Ops said I should buy the $389.00 Alt upgrade kit so that I can use the 60.00 lights. My dealer says customers do it all the time......

I beleiveI have a 13 amp system ?
Has anyone found a solid way to clamp lights to the ROPS ?
I am having the rear work light installed (dealer owed) can I use that for a power source?

As always thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Cheers,

RD

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
BenEAmonette

2005-10-21          118228

I sent Kubota an email yesterday asking them the same question...how many extra lights in terms of wattage can I add? Have not received a reply yet. My dealer did not know. I did not realize that two 55 watt lights draw 9 amps, so you have been informative. I have added three 55 watt lights, on 2 separte switches so I don't have to run them all at once. I do not want to spend the money on the alternator upgrade for seldom used lights. As far as mounting them, there has been a lot of discussion on this topic accompanied by pictures. Do a search and get some ideas. ....

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-21          118230

I have 2 "tractor Lights" (35 watt incandescent, rubber cased) mounted on the ROPS of my BX2230 that I use for snowblowing (mostly) and have never had a problem with them drawing too much and running the battery flat. I want to put on the larger alternator, but I cannot justify the cost if it's not needed.

BTW: I have found that the two 35 watt lights are plenty bright for the limited speed of the BX. Brighter lights are just not necessary in my opinion. I can light up 200' of driveway while snowblowing. Plenty for me. ....

Link:   Lights

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-21          118232

A neighbour of mine uses a 12v. flourescent trouble light duct-taped to the brush guard of his machine.

That frees up power for a heater blower in his soft cab.

As AV8R states, at the speed you blow snow, anything more than a BIC lighter would work.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-10-21          118238

Has anyone experimented with these new, super-bright LEDs? If they make flashlights, automotive stop turn & tail lights, and police car light bars out of them they should work great for auxillary lighting. They are VERY bright and draw low amps. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-21          118240

I think you will find that although the LED's appear brighter, they actually give off less usueable light for a 'seeing where you're going' aspect.

We found that on our bigger trucks that had been changed to LED lighting it was a LOT darker behind the truck when backing up at night. We ended up putting a couple of 12v. flood lights sold as 'tractor lamps' on them for reverse lights and using the reverse light cutouts for additional stop/turn/tail lights.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-10-21          118241

concerning lights on rops.

Here are some thoughts I've been kicking around concerning lights on rops.
1. Use two lights rather than 4 lights. Mount them on a light bar that will swivel the lights up and down. I install the lights on the bar in a manner that will permit the lights to be rotated 360 degrees. The 360 degrees allows you to have light to the rear and front or both to the front or both to the rear.
Use magnets to mount the brackets for the light bar to the top rear edge of the rops instead of on top of the rops or under the top of the rops. Next bolt the ends of the light bar to the brackets with one bolt through each bracket into the bar.
Tighten the bolts just enough to hold the bar in place but loose enough to move it by hand. The swiveling light bar allows:
(A) Allows adjustment of the distance the lights shine out from the tractor.
(B) Gives more clearance above the lights and more head room under them.
(C) Lessens the chance of catching the lights on something overhead.
(D) Allows the lights to flip down if hit rather than breaking them.
(E) You can just flip the lights down to work under low hanging branches instead of having to remove them from the rops. However you still have the option of removing the bar and lights and unplugging the trailer connector.
*Advantages of the 360 degree rotation *
(A) Permits two lights instead of requiring 4 lights, thus reducing current flow.
(B) Lights can be turned both to front or both to rear. Or they can be turned one to front and one to rear. They can also be used for side lighting. Swiveling lights can provide illumination 360 degrees around the tractor.

Adjustment from one position to another is instant by hand. No wrenches or tools required.
A low profile light preferred over high profile lights.

I've been using this system of combining a rotating light bar with swivel mounted lights to install fog and driving lights on my pickups successfully for years.

More thoughts on lights.
Use a dual direction light with a clear lens on both sides that will cast light to the front and rear at the same time.

Thinking about experimenting with a hanging swing light magnetically attached to the cross member of the FEL to illuminate the bucket shadow when using the head lights.

L.B.

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-10-21          118242

I have a B Kubota not sure of the amp of alternator. I installed two probably 35 watt flood lights on the underside of the canopy and one to the rear and have run them with head lights and no problem. I found on my model you could change the headlight bulbs to a higher wattage and it worked better for my night time mowing than the other lights. I am not in snow country and you may need them but for my use fog lights don't give as much light as do clear flood lights or you may need the trapezoid ones. The box should give you the pattern they will light. You sure don't need spot or driving lights.

BenEAmonette to get the amperage you take the wattage and divid it by the voltage. Thus the two 55 watts = 110 divided by 12 volts thus your rounded 9 amps. ....

View my Photos
metastable

2005-10-21          118243

I have the 7610, and use two 55W rectangular white fog lamps with metal brackets. The alternator and factory wiring can handle these lights fine, but I wouldn't add any more than that.

I put some padding (thin rubber) between the brackets and the roll bar to keep from scratching the paint, and used 2 heavy duty black cable ties to secure each bracket to the roll bar (no welding or drilling). The lights are hung below the top so they don't get knocked off when going through the trees. One light points forward, and the other points back. This almost gives me 360 degree lighting.

I think I spent under $25 for the whole setup. Been trouble-free for over a year. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-21          118253

Most LED's are intense in a narrow wavelength of light. For example the small laser pointers are just pumped LEDs. The light can be strong enough to damage your eye or saturate your photoreceptors in one wavelength but the total lumens produced can be low.

Another aspect is the fact the intensity is temperature dependant. At high temperatures the intensity drops as it will at very low temperatures.

They are getting better, but maybe not there yet. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-10-21          118255

I am having the rear work light installed (dealer owed)
*can I use that for a power source?
roaf3x
==============
*You can but I prefer the cold side of the ignition switch so you can't accidentally leave the lights on and run the battery down.
Put a 10 amp fuse at the key switch.
Put 2 switches on the light bar to control each light separately or one switch to operate both lights together.

View my Photos
BenEAmonette

2005-10-22          118279

kthompson, thanks for the lesson on amps/watts. That is good information.

metastable, as far as lights go, we did about the same thing. Someone gave me a piece of what they called engineering angle. It is light gage, and has lots of holes in it. Attached it to the ROPS with U bolts, and thin rubber sheeting for the same reason you mentioned. I bought a "tractor light" at Advance Auto ($15 and 55 watt), mounted it in the center of the angle and pointed it forward. However, there were too many dark streaks in it, and too much flood. Too much of it shined on the back of my head. So, I decided to point it to the rear and put it on a separate switch. Then went to Walmart and purchased a set of compact lights made by APC, also 55 watt each ($15) and mount them to the angle in the corners of the ROPS. They had 2 types, flood and beam. I got the beam. They are on a separate switch too, and light up the front pretty good, not the back of my head. The factory headlights will seldom be needed now, and all the lights will not typically be on at once, so I am hoping the alternator will handle the load okay. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-10-23          118344

With engine running the alternator usually puts out about 14.5 volts (its always more than 12), therefore your lights would draw approx 7.6 amps, I dont think you will have a problem. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-10-23          118345

You can add at least 4 lights without having to up grade the alternator. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login