Go Bottom Go Bottom

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
pkcowboy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-13          120987

I have owned a yanmar 1500D 4x4 tractor for about 5yrs and have had no problems with it until about 7 months ago and then the temp light came on after running for approx 45 min. I have done the following list things to correct the problem, but tractor is still running between 220 and 230 degrees.
1.) Flushed radiator and engine block at home.
2.) Installed temp meter to verify temp.
3.) Removed radiator and had flushed, rodded and check by radiator shop. (they found no signs of any blockage)
4.) Check fan belt tention
5.) Check and cleaned front radiator screen.
6.) Check radiator water for any signs of bubbles. (none)
7.) Check oil for water, (no signs of water)
8.) cooling system is 75% distilled water, 25% antifreeze.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated
Thank you all in advance for any help
Pat

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-13          120997

Ok, I am in for the 20 questions, logic double check.
#1 Did you pull the thermostat and check that it was opening at the proper temperature? Usually #2 or 3 on the hit parade. ....

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
pkcowboy

2005-12-13          121001

lol on the 20 questions, but no problem if it gets me to t he problem.. Im not even sure the yanmar 1500D has a thermostat and if it does i didnt see it in the manual parts layout or even where it would be located.. I would assume it would be around the top hose entry point to the engine. Just to be sure I will look thru the manual again and take a closer look at the hose entrys on the engine..
Thanks for the feedback,, I actually had not thought of that. ....

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-13          121008

Pat;
I have the JD version so? The parts schematics for the 1500 show a temperature sender and something else. I could not find the names for the numbers on the web. Looking at the schematics for the 1600 it looks to be a thermostat, but not the type is common in NA.
Did you have any success? ....

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
pkcowboy

2005-12-13          121014

Well Peters; Got home from work and first thing i did was go look at the tractor, radiator hose connects to a pipe screwed into the top of the engine, bottom hose connects to a pipe sticking out the front lower section of the engine, saw no likley spot for a thermostat. if there is one it might be under what appears to be a plate covering the top front of the engine under the top radiator hose ????
look thru the 2 manuals I have, but at the time i bought the tractor the only manuals you could get were for the 135D and the 155d, and I was told that these manuals were used for the 1500D also.. (not real sure I believe that, but it was better than no reference at all), anyway,, found no reference to a thermostat in them either.. another thing that now puzzles me is when I was reading thru the manual it indicated that the temp light would come on when the water temp reached 248F and go off at 233.6F +or- 5.4F. So now Im not even sure what the normal operating temp for the yanmar 1500D is.. ????? (Starting to think I should just stick with riding horses, lol)
anyway,, thanks again for your help and suggestions because im out of ideas.. ....

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-13          121019

This is what I found. What is #8 and what is #12? One is the temperature probe or thermostat. ....

Link:   1500D

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-13          121021

Well they sell a thermostat, but for what model? ....

Link:   Thermostat

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
pkcowboy

2005-12-14          121033

Peters, #8 is a stud with a nut on it, #12 is the tempature sensor witch connects to the yellow temp light on the dash, about a month ago I replace it with a manual guage so that I could tell what the temp realy was. I never have trusted those lights to much. I did read an article that something to do with injector timing could cause overheating also, but have know idea exactally what they were talking about or how to even check the injector timing.
Thanks again. I will continue checking out anything you come up with.. ....

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
Murf

2005-12-14          121035

I hate to be the spoiler of all this good diagnostic logic, but...

These machines are built to South Asian specifications. They don't have a thermostat in most of their equipment. It would only serve to hinder the performance of cooling system under their conditions. As PK noted, they are designed to run hotter than our motors typically do in NA.

I suspect the culprit is nothing more than a defective temperature sending unit causing the light to go on at 'normal' operating temeratures. The $24.47 test would be to buy a new temp. sender and see if the light goes out, or even just ask the dealer to verify what the 'normal' operating temperature is.

Best of luck.

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-14          121040

I did a little more hunting on the web last night. There is a post on another site that the 1500D tractors don't have a thermostat.
I checked the 650 JD parts schematic and the area connecting to the top hose is different with a regular thermostat.
I can not find any thing that confirms the operating temperature. The marine units are low at 140 F, but have a thermostat.
Like Murf said you can double check it with the additional sender, check your thermocouple (temperature gauge) or maybe check with someone that works on them. The temperature gauge could be out a little. ....

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
pkcowboy

2005-12-14          121043

ye Peter, seeing as this tractor doesnt have a water pump I suspect that Murf is 100% correct in the fact that a thermostat would only hinder it's cooling operation. I did replace the electronic temp sending sensor with a manual sensor and guage which is indicating that I am running at about 223F to 230F under medium load conditions. I have been trying to find out what the "normal" operating temp should be, but as of date the few emails I have sent to those I could find that work in this type of tractor have not answered me. As Murf indicated the Asian Spec run hotter that the NA specs, so 230f-240F may not be considered hot for this tractor????? Maybe Im just a little paranoid.. lol. Best I can hope for is that a dealer or a Yanmar mech. sees one of my posts and can verify this info..
Wish to thank you and Murf for you help and input, and if ya do happen to see some info somewhere let me know.
Happy Holidays to you both

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
overheating

2005-12-15          121113

sounds like a water pump ....

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
pumpk1n

2007-01-27          139209

You could try a new rad cap. Those gaskets can deteriorate. You need about 10 lbs pressure. ....

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
cpdtwo

2007-01-29          139315

had same trouble on mine went and put new cap on and no more trouble. book say 14lbs I belive but only found a 12lbs on at the auto parts store. and it has worked well. and I live in AZ and it was hot at the time. ....

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2007-01-30          139370

The YM1500 does not have a thermostat.Most Japanese models do not have thermostats. From what you found about the temperature ranges of the sending unit, I'd say you don't have an overheating problem, but you have a bad sending unit. The cooling systems are pressurized to raise the boiling point. The engine produces more power when it runs at a higher temperature. ....

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
pkcowboy

2007-01-30          139373

Thank you all for your inputs and updates, to bring you all up todate. After finding out what the temp range was of the electronic sensor, i decided that did run hotter than what I was expecting to see, and that 230 F was possibly normal for this tractor. now the the temp sets on 230 F when im working (medium load to heavy at time) and stays there. I never hear the water boiling or any indication that it is overheating. I was never able to find anyone that really knew what the normal operating temp should be :-( so I guess that until someone finds out for sure, I will have to consider 230F as normal.
Again, I thank you all for all your help and suggestions

Link:   

Click Here

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
deano854

2007-04-14          141313

yanmar 1700 and down dont have thermostats they work like a perculator they make a waterpump conversion kit to fix the problem cost about 350.00 plus hoses if you are interested i'll give you the phone number to the place i buy parts ....

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
funkster

2007-04-16          141335

What kind of temperature guage did you install? I installed a temerature guage (mechanical type) from my local auto parts store. I rembered your post from back in January stating that the temperature should run around 230F but my guage only reads around 150F when I am working it hard. I figured that the guage wasn't reading correctly, but then I decided to feel the water and it is only luke warm so maybe it is reading ok. The only other thing I can think of is that the adaptors it take to convert to the metric threads don't allow the bulb to get far enough into the water jacket to read correctly. I guess I can't complain about it running cool but I find it hard to trust the guage. ....

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-04-16          141339

Operating at 150F is a little cool, but in my experience many diesels operate most efficiently around 80C (about 165F). I know the small Yanmars did't have water pumps, but I would think they've got thermostats at least. If so, perhaps yours is just stuck open.

//greg// ....

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
funkster

2007-04-16          141342

Your correct that it doesn't have a water pump. No Thermostat either. I'm real curious to see what it does this summer when it hits 100F outside. ....

yanmar 1500D overheating

View my Photos
auerbach

2007-09-25          146048

Yannies are made to pull all day in the tropics. It's the rad-cap gaskets that keep the pressure up, and they wear out over time. I bet $5 for a new cap will solve it. Bring the old one so you get the right kind, and if you can't find the pressure rating in the service manual or from someone who knows, I'd guess 10-12 lbs. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login