Go Bottom Go Bottom

Boat Trailer Tires

View my Photos
crunch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-05          143460

So I have this 1999 21' Regal boat which weighs about 3000 lbs and a single axle trailer which weighs about 1000 lbs. The rubber on the tires is cracked and I am thinking about replacing the tires. The existing tires are Titan radial ST205/75R15 tires, which specifically say on the sidewall to mount on 16 inch rims. They are load rated for 2120 lbs each.

I don't understand why a 15 inch tire would state "use with a 16 inch rim". I am totally confused by this. I am tempted to get another brand where a tire and rim are matched to the same size and with a higher load rating. Any thoughts on this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Boat Trailer Tires

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-05          143461

I have two H/D trailers that are registered. On is a tandem car hauler that came with BF Goodrich trailer tires. The other is a triple axle boat trailer that came with cheap rubber.

All I can say is the only reason I have not changed the boat trailer tires is that I trailer only twice a year for one mile. I have seen boats wrecked due to tires blowing out so it never goes over 30 MPH.

Purchase the best tire you can afford to fit the rim you have.

Boat Trailer Tires

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-07-05          143463

Sounds like a manufacturing mistake. Too bad tires minted with mistakes aren't collectible like coins. ....

Boat Trailer Tires

View my Photos
Murf

2007-07-06          143466

It is a manufacturing mistake.

It is a carry over from the 16" mould which (by law) must say "mount only on 16" rim" or words to that effect, this was because at the time, 16.5" tires for pickups were cheap and plentiful, and 16" rims were not, so people would put a 16" trailer tire on a 16.5" rim, and it would work...... for a while. :(

Just replace them with a set of ST205/75R15 tires from a reputable manufacturer and you (and the boat) will be fine. Are you sure though that you don't have the weight numbers on the boat wrong though? A ST205/75R15 tire is only a load range 'C' tire, i.e. 6 ply rating, and is only rated for 1,820 pounds, so 2 of them would only be rated for 3,640 pounds, but you say you are higher than that. If that's the case you should consider getting the next size larger tire which is a ST225/75R15 but is rated for 2,540 pounds each, which gives you an extra 720 pounds each, or 1,440 pounds total weight carrying capacity.

If this is the case then you should also ensure that the axle and suspension on your trailer (look at the weights listed on the manufacturer data plate) is rated for at least 4,000 pounds also.

If you have 3,500 pound capacity running gear (axle & springs) and 3,640 pounds of tire, but a gross weight exceeding that, someone will point an accusing finger if there's ever a problem.

I don't know how far you from Albany, but I doubt you'll find better prices or service than at Redneck Trailer Supplies, I dealt with them for years when I was manufacturing trailers and truck bodies. Good people.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Redneck Trailer Supplies

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login