Go Bottom Go Bottom

Please help 60acres to bushhog

View my Photos
formilesfarm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-08          124229

I have 60 acres of mostly cleared pasture. I need a tractor to bushhog, drag, move hay, etc.. Please help me decide how much tractor I need and what a good deal might be. I'd love something easy to use. I need a loader, mower, box blade, hay fork. A friend tried to sell me a used Kubota L2350 4wd w/ loader and box blade for $9500, which seemed way too high. Any help at all would be appreciated! Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-08          124232

You will get help aplenty on this site. Ok, for starters, how big of hay bales are you needing to move? That will determine your minimum loader capability or your minimum 3 point if you use a 3 pt bale fork.

Then how big of a bushhog do you want to run (based on time spent cutting). That will determine a minimum PTO hp. That would help get you started on models and help us better help you in determining possible tractors. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-08          124248

I think the price on the tractor could be a bargin. But not for you! What are you going to do, make hay? Or are you just going to bush-hog? ....

View my Photos
formilesfarm

2006-02-08          124251

The hay bales are pretty big... maybe 6 feet around. I'm not cutting hay, just moving bales. I'm unsure how big the bushhog needs to be... I need to mow around the 60 acres, then mow about 10 acres total all summer. I'd like to move piles of sand, too. Does this help? Someone said 50 hp at least, but that's about all I've got. Thanks for your help! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-02-08          124252

What is the current condition of the area you intend to bushhog? ....

View my Photos
formilesfarm

2006-02-08          124253

Condition of the land? (Pardon my ignorance...) Umm, overgrown with weeds and briars? It's hilly with few boggy areas. Is this what you mean? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-02-08          124254

No small trees or sapplings? Any other land in addition to the 60 acres? ....

View my Photos
formilesfarm

2006-02-08          124255

No - no small trees, no other land. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-02-08          124256

Will this be a one time thing or will this field be bush hogged on a regular basis? ....

View my Photos
formilesfarm

2006-02-08          124257

Hoping to be a regular basis... ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-02-08          124258

I think in your case, if you are going to be doing just this task and you just want the field cleared; you might want to check around with some nearby farmers or folks with horses and see if they would keep it cleared for you if you let them have the hay off of it.

If that is not a suitable option, then I suggest you start looking for an agricultural tractor (40 to 65 hp) or a large CUT of the same hp and a 6 ft. or larger rotary cutter to keep the 60 acres clear.

Not long ago, I finish cut about 35 acres of hillside pasture and put about 32 hours on my 4410. Expect to put double that amount of time into clearing your 60 acre field the 1st time.

What does your budget support? New or used?

View my Photos
formilesfarm

2006-02-08          124259

Budget could go either way. Dealers in my area are JD, Kubota, and Farmtrac. I don't know enough about tractors to begin. I'm guessing I just go and talk to dealers? Is one brand generally easier to change implements on than another? My friend with a Kubota says it's more difficult to change than her MF or her Ford.

I'm thinking I'll have to do the cutting myself. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-02-08          124260

I see you listed Warrenton as your location. Is that Warrenton VA? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-02-08          124262

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about changing implements. The standard 3 pt. hitch with fix rockshafts are the least easy to change implements, rockshafts with telescoping links are easier, a quick hitch or as John Deere calls them I-Match hitches are the easiest. If you are just going to bush hog, you should leave the rotary cutter hooked up and leave it. No need for the fancier hitches. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-02-08          124263

If you are in Warrenton VA, I believe there is a Kioti dealer in Culpepper. I DK45 or larger would be a great choice. I also think a John Deere 990, 5103, or 5105 would be great choices for Green paint. I am sure Art will suggest some excellent Kubota choices as well. ....

View my Photos
wr5evk8jj

2006-02-09          124264

If you are in the Warrenton, VA area, there was also a NH dealer (or was) on 29 on the east side. Remember seeing it when driving around there. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-02-09          124267

First I'd like to jump in on the connections to the Kubota tractor. I sometimes find that people are comparing the attachment hook ups to older tractors and there is a big difference between tractors available twenty,ten or even five years ago on the attachments, they all are easier today and many of them knowing the proper way to do it makes it a lot easier. For sixty acres I'd like to see at least a seven foot mower. We have several L-3400 hydro's out that are running Bush Hog SQ84T's that are doing great and the owners are enjoying the time with them. One that I know of that didn't have the time to mow his own 15 acres normally with a five foot behind a ford 2000 went and mowed the neighbors pasture in an afternoon as his wife mows his now and they actually both kind of fight over the use other then to clean the driveway from snow in the winter. If you wanted a little more power you could go to the L-4400 or MX 5000 or into the full M-series. Kubota has more models under 100 horsepower then anyone else and have the reputation for longevity with out repairs. With a five foot mower and a ground speed of four miles an hour you should be able to mow just over two acres an hour. A 72 inch mower move you up to about 2.5 acres and the 84 inch mower should put you at 3 acres an hour! That would be about 20 hours a time to mow! I hope these numbers help you. These numbers are figuring an 80% efficiency for overlap and an increase in ground speed could make a difference. ....

View my Photos
formilesfarm

2006-02-09          124269

Wow. Thanks to all for this advice! I live in GA, not VA. I'm just worried about switching the hay fork, mower and pasture drag. My friend's Kubota is 2 years old. Being a lady, I don't have the mechanical mind or strength to switch implements that are difficult. My husband is strong, but isn't home when this would be happening. He's not mechanically inclined anyway! (He's not allowed to touch my tractor - I've seen what he did to my mower...) Everyone loves their tractors here - green, red, orange, blue - I honestly don't care, just want one to be my friend! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-02-09          124270

I like the MX5000 and the L5030 HST of the Kubota line. The Bushog Squealer 84T in cutter is a good choice for FINISHED and VERY CLEAN & CLEAR of debry pastures. My neighbor tried out his brand new and never use Squealer 84 on my hillside pasture last season and it was damaged (bent blade) after encountering a rock. Granted, any piece of equipment can be damaged if abused but we walked the pasture and checked for rocks and obstacles before cutting it. It didn't do a very good job as it required 2 or 3 passes over the same area to cut the grass completely. That 84 inch width is very nice to get cutting done faster but it really eats up pto hp in heavy grass and brush. In fairness I should mention that he was using a New Holland TC40 which I think was marjinal at 35 pto hp but I think another 10 or more pto hp would have been required to overcome this which puts you up into a lot larger tractor. I think the biggest reason the 84T does not do well in heavy stuff is its very low blade tip speed and low reciprocating mass. (blade tip speed 11,500 fpm) The 840 Squealer is a better choice (blade tip speed 14,963 fpm) but both of these units are light duty. Read very easily damaged. When brush cutting, it will amaze you how many rocks and tree stumps jump out in front of you, no matter how careful you are. ;O) They cost a lot more but they last a lot longer and I would suggest a medium or heavy duty, single spindle cutter if your budget allows. In the Bush Hog brand, I would look at the 287. Rhino makes a good cutter that many of the Coops carry in the SE7 medium duty or CY84 for a real heavy duty cutter. You can get by with a light duty cutter but chances are you will be repairing it for cracks or from striking something. Some feature you want to get on any cutter you buy are a drive train slip clutch, front and real chain guards, and get the composition tire that does not go flat.

After you look at these suggested items and pass out from "sticker shock" you may end up going with a light duty cutter such as the King Kutter models sold at TSC which are not bad cutters for the price but they are bare bones basic models and are light duty.

Sorry about the long post. Just wanted to throw out some ideas and considerations to mull over before you buy. I waited and waited looking around at cutters and could not get past the sticker shock myself. I ended up buying a Modern Equipment 4 ft. heavy duty cutter. It was not as wide as I wanted but this unit weighs 662 lbs. and is built like a tank. The deal had it on his lot for at least 2 years or more and finally sold it to me for $500. I just could not refuse. I am a tight wad at heart. ;O) ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-02-09          124271

I'd go with a good used Red or Green tractor in the 50+ HP range. 2WD would be fine but 4WD is always better. Get some sort of quick-hitch system that would be in the category II size. I would go with either an 84" or 96" wide bush hog with gears and safety clutch. Likewise get a quick-tach system for the loader for dropping off the bucket for a bale spear.

The reason I suggest Red or Green is most farmers use this stuff over any other color. Should have better chance of getting nice used stuff. Parts and service is usually available for 50 years. A red dealer is located in Thomson which is less than 20 miles away on the map. Red is usually cheaper. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-02-09          124272

I think that a dealer that would review all the attachments and the precedures used to attach and unattach properly would be of great benifit for you. They also might advise as to some good attachments that you would find easy to deal with. In Georgia I know that the disc cutter bar is also very popular for mowing do to the grass not being as dense as in other areas and a good sharp set of knives would help. They are more expensive then a bush hog style mower but they can cut very fast if conditions are right. You have recieved a lot of ideas on your post and now you need to go check on some of the options and put the local dealers to a test. With the different brands we sell(about 6 depending on the name on the side and the color of paint) we find that there is normally a seat for everyone who walks thru our doors. There is no one solution for everyone! This needs to work for YOU! ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-02-09          124273

I would weight in at a 50 hp PTO tractor. I have a BH 287 and it needs some hp and weight. My MF 65 becomes a little light on the front end at times.
I would think if you are going to purchase a loader you may as well get a tractor that can lift the bales on a front spear. The quick connects on the bucket are easier to hook up than class two hitches.
The Kubota M5000 is good value. As is the DK55 Kioti. The MF series are also nice with the perkins engines. The JD Indian tractor are good value in this range, but I like the 5400 series better which are Korean tractors. I am not sure about the Farmtracs. Some are based on old Ford designs which were good tractors. The last time I check pricing it was high. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2006-02-09          124275

If you're going new tractor, I'd check out the new Kubota M5040 and M6040. I'm thinking very seriously about one of these for myself. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-02-09          124276

If I were to judge the consensus - it looks like you need something in the 50hp range. You will need at least a 7ft bush hog otherwise you will spend a lot of time mowing. For the 6ft round bales if you want to move them around with ease you will need a loader and a bale spear and a beefy tractor to move them. If you go with a new mainstream brand tractor and equipment you will be looking at $30 000 easily. In your initial post you baulked at $9500 so I dont see a solution here. Looks like you will need to adjust your expectations, the budget or both. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-02-09          124277

In the used tractor market, tractors that are 75 hp and below are priced pretty high. In many cases you can go larger and get a larger and higher hp tractor for the same and most times much less than the smaller lower hp machines.

Below is a link to an example that would work good for you and I would love to have but will have to wait until the budget can support it.

All you would need is a hay speer for the FEL and maybe some wheel weights or hang an implement on the back for a temp counter weight. Yeah, it is a lot bigger than you were thinking but it is very close to your price range. You can find other machines such as the International 1086 or 986 out there for around $6,500 if you don't mind driving to get them and have a truck and trailer heavy duty enough to pull and carry it. ....

Link:   1970 INTERNATIONAL 1256

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-02-09          124280

Whew!! Confused yet? A point to consider when you start narrowing down your options is the minimum HP listed to run the bushhog mower is just that, a minimum. Given the size of the property you need to mow, make sure your tractor's PTO rating is higher. That way it has the power to run the mower and keep up speed no matter the terrain or brush thickness. Else you have no choice but to slow down and that just plain takes longer.

There are good tractors out there. I have JD but Kubota and JD are both very good brands as well as others out there. Good luck and best wishes in your search. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-02-09          124283

Chief, any other good used ag-tractor websites you know of?

I'm lookin' too, 30-75 hp. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-02-09          124286

AV8R Machinery link and iron search are the two I have used before. I had not come across the one Chief posted. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-02-09          124289

AV8R, good to talk to you again! I keep an eye on Tractor House and Equipment Trader Online as well as eBay and the local area.

Link:   Equipment Trader Online

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-02-09          124294

AV8R, do you get the Trading Post out of Eau Claire? There are usually 30-40 used tractors of all sizes in it every week. I'll take a look at the farm equipment section for you tonight.
Dave ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-02-09          124301

AV8R (or anyone else interested)

Here are some tractor ads from the trading post. I've listed all except those that I knew were under 30 HP. I don't know JD models very well so I ended up listing most of those. Unless written, the area codes are all 715.
Dave

1. Ford 4000 diesel $7500 654-5163
2. Kubota L3830 Hydro $15500 665-2140
3. JD 2555 65 HP 672-5680
4. JD 4020 diesel 495-2920
5. Farmall 560 diesel 495-2920
6. Farmall 656 $6000 287-4467
7. Intl 884 diesel fwd FEL 229-2977
8. intl 300 $3000 234-1680
9. MM 60 HP 239-3392
10. IH 706 $3800 263-2698
11. MF 2705 122HP $6500 286-4124
12. Farmall 300 $2000 289-53221
13. AC D17 50 HP $4100 320-543-3423
14. Farmall M 42HP $2995 320-543-3423
15. IH656 $4000 877-2861
16. JD 4030 diesel $11900 878-4605
17. JD 4020 diesel 948-2261
18. IHC 460 $4600 949-1919
19. Allis D17 $3400 962-3813
20. Intl 4186 4WD $8500 964-2534
21. JD Gator Diesel 1000hrs $4100 965-1651 (just for fun)
22. JD 4020 diesel air and heat $13000 456-0705
23. JD4525 diesel $8900 456-0705
24. Allis 7045 145HP $5000 308-4922
25 JD 3020 diesel FEL 594-3365
26. JD 3020 FEL $8000 835-8380
27. JD 1450 MFWD 55HP $15800 874-6336
28. Ford 300 diesel $7200

View my Photos
formilesfarm

2006-02-09          124303

Wow - you all have gone above and beyond the call of duty! Thanks so much! ....

View my Photos
formilesfarm

2006-02-09          124306

You all do your homework, that's for sure!

How much influence does the number of hours on a used tractor make? Depends on how and where it's been used? Should I be wary of an old tractor with high hours? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-02-09          124309

If you go to three cylinder life I just laid it on the line as to engine life. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-02-10          124347

Thanks for the info, guys.

(I now have internet at home. Sold my house and living in an apartment CABLE INTERNET!! But, now my website will go away. I'll start a new one soon on the new house project. New tractor pictures too, maybe.) ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-02-10          124348

I didn't realize you were moving AV8R. I take you are moving to a place with a bit more elbow room since you are looking at ag tractors. Still going to stay in Wisconsin? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login