Go Bottom Go Bottom

Good face masks for dust filtering

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-15          90972

Anyone found a good brand of face mask for filtering air when the dust is flying? I bought these el-cheapo paper masks at the hardware store but they just don't fit well and leak. I have a respirator but that's sort of overkill for dust. Gemplers sells a bunch of different kinds but I'm sort of interested in what others are using and what features and brands are liked best.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-15          90978

We use the cheap fabric sand-blasting hoods that go over a standard hard-hat. They work very well and as long as it's not too hot they are very comfortable. As an aside, they're pretty good defence against bees and mossies too.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-15          90986

Not a bad way to go Murf. I really should be wearing a hard hat in the woods anyway. You never know when a limb will break loose and the JD cap probably doesn't offer much protection :) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-15          90989

It's not much of a stretch for us since most sites require either FOPS or hard-hats or both anyways.

They do affect vision a little, but it beats coughing up the ground you just graded.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-07-15          90995

A dual filter respirator is the 100% solution but these work well in leu of a respirator and are not any more bulky or cause an impact more than a mask. They kinda look like a horse's feed bag but they work. ....

Link:   PLEATS PLUS™ Particulate Respirators

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-15          90998

After seeing what those sandblaster hoods look like I'm sure they would cut down on visibility a fair amount. Plus, on sunny days they look like they'd get hot - heck, on those days I sweat like a pig without a hood. Gempler's sells a sampler pack of 12 disposable masks from different manufacturers for $40. I was thinking of ordering a set and see which works best. Chief, they don't sell the AOSafety Pleats Plus masks you pointed out. Do you use those? Do you buy them direct? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-15          91000

Ken, I'm not sure what hoods you were looking at, the ones we use are made of a light (white) fabric like what a cheap T-shirt would be made of.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-15          91002

Murf, I didn't search a long time with google but I looked at three hits and they all looked essentially like this one. Do you have a brand name or supplier you use? ....

Link:   Sandblast hood

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-15          91008

DOOOHHHH, my mistake Ken, they are not sandblasting hoods, they are for when you are spray-painting.

They are meant to keep the overspray off you, the regular ventilator mask goes underneath. According to the boys at the shop they come from our local auto parts supplier.

Close but no cigar.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-15          91011

Murf, that brings up some items that look a little more appropriate! Here's one that is dirt cheap, $7 for a dozen. You mean something like this? ....

Link:   spray paint hoods

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-16          91076

Now where getting somewhere, that is closer, but ours are really baggy, in fact they are designed to go over a standard construction-type hardhat. It has a large plastic window in the front and hangs down onto your shoulders.

Best anyone can remember they come in a box of 144 pcs. for about $50 a box.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-07-16          91079

Ken, that looks like a good option for cooler weather but I could not tolerate wearing something like that in upper 90 degree heat and humidity. ....

View my Photos
echo10mp
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-16          91117

I'll throw my two cents in. I have been using dust masks forever. I tried the cheap paper and then the masks. I bought the battery powered fresh air masks ($300.). They all did OK but I still had crud in my throat and nose. I especially needed something for diesel fumes from my tractor. I talked to a guy who works sanding drywall and he told me to get 3M drywall masks at Lowe's. They are kind of a gray color and a lot thinker than the paper ones. There is also one that is white and is for dust that work. I carry a ziplock bag and when I'm done I put it in there and use it again. Depending on how much sweat is on it is how long it lasts. The most important thing is I can breathe... I hope this helps.

John ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-16          91129

John, thanks for the tip. I'll stop by Lowes and give those drywall masks a try. A good easily obtainable mask is all I really need since I don't worry much about bees and wasps. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login