Go Bottom Go Bottom

ATV safety

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-11          70833

I live in WV which I think has the highest rate of fatalities on ATV's and they have allowed the ATV's to be driven on roads as long as they meet certain criteria. I live off of a road where the speed limit is 50 MPH and I see these kids go by the house passing cars on these things. No wonder we have so many fatalities.
I let my 7 year old daughter ride a little Honda 200 and she has a great time on it. But there are rules to her riding it. First she has to wear her helmet and 2nd I have to be around. She is only to ride it on the trails in the back yard and no higher than 2nd gear. I teach her to respect the machine and we haven't had any problems.
I just can't believe parents turn their kids loose with such a weapon. I mean running over 50 MPH with no helmet and no lights at night on a dark road full of deer. Why don't they just give them a loaded pistol? Any others incur these problems

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

ATV safety

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-11          70837

After being president of the local snowmobile club and listening to the land owners I consider the ATV's much like many of the snowmobilers. They are pacifiers for the childeren to get them out from being under foot. Until someone learns to respect themselves as well as other people they shouldn't be there. ....

ATV safety

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-11          70849

We had some people build on 26 acres across the road. The first thing they did was mow down all the trees and put in a motorcycle track, then they sent their two boys (ages 8 and 10 or so) out to use it. They got bored with it quickly and started tearing up and down the road on their bikes and, now, their ATVs. I don't expect them to live long. The road is narrow with many blind corners and steep hills and at times is heavily populated with log trucks (who also tear down the road at 50 mph). As long as the kids aren't home the parents seem happy. ....

ATV safety

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-11          70853

Unfortunately, that seems to be the American way lately. Parents buy their kids not only these ATV's, but PWT's, and cars that I would NEVER consider allowing any of my children to have (assuming they were old enough). A 16 or 17 year old kid has no business with a Mustang Cobra or other similar hot rod. Turning them loose with PWT's unsupervised, they are the scourge of the water ways. They are constantly trying to jump my wake too close to the boat. What is particularly aggrevating is the Army mentality of addressing the problems that result. Really stupid and restrictive laws get passed the punish everyone and the abuser's still continue as they wish anyway or until they become one of "Darwin's Children". Sure would be a breath of fresh air and logic to see some of the parents of these children get issued a $500+ citation. Bet that would get their attention and sense of concern going real fast. Or better yet confiscate the machines if they let their kids go crazy and unsupervised. But then.....I could hear the whining and complaining already. I even feel better after my little rant! ;-) ....

ATV safety

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-11          70863

There was a problem developing here in Albuquerque when teenage kids were having parties involving booze, drugs, fighting and other illegal activity. In some cases, the parents were participating enablers of these events; even buying kegs of beer and so forth.

Now the law holds the parents responsible for all such activities and violations are punishable by fines and you could even have your house declared a public nuisance and lose it altogether. The fines that have been levied so far have been >$1000, so it has become cheaper and there is more general incentive for the parents to "parent" their kids. In some problem situations, houses have literally been destroyed by bulldozers after due process. (These are not the casual parties, but the places where continued illegal activity happens.)

This kind of thing works. It is harsh, but it works. ....

ATV safety

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-11          70877

I guess that's the problem with kids today. The parents don't want to be parents but rather buy the kids toys to occupy them instead of playing with them. As I am surfing this website now, my little girl is here in my home office at her little desk writing and we're chatting back and forth. I couldn't imagine just turning her loose on a 4 wheeler or out in the yard with no supervision.
Have you seen the video games and how graphic they are killing people and driving cars and shooting guns? I guess you live what you learn. Growing up, the old man kept us busy splitting wood with maul and sledge hammer, mowing grass, digging footer for shed by hand, etc. There wasn't really any time to get into too much trouble!!!! ....

ATV safety

View my Photos
gauthier

2003-12-11          70887

I live in w.va. too and agree about the 4 wheeler problem.When I was a teen,two wheeled dirt bikes were the thing,but you had to have safty sticker,license on bike,drivers license,plus helmet,why is a 4 wheeler any different?All you have to have to ride one of those,[I believe]is insurence and helmet,and to top it off those things are not made to be ridden on hardtop.As far as people having no consideration for their neighbors,that problem is getting worse because we now all have more neighbors,what, isn't their like twice as many people in the u.s. as there was about 40 years or so ago? And we keep letting them in at the borders,I believe we have enough u.s. citizens now to probagate the country for ever,we can now stop getting new ones in from other countrys,they might be able to come and visit a while,but then go home. Richard ....

ATV safety

View my Photos
osheen

2003-12-14          71125

The thing that gripes me is the "no one under 16" stickers plastered all over ATVs. Is there something magical about turning 16 that all of a sudden you have common sense and the skills to operate it?

Someone such as Kubotaguy's daughter who has been properly trained and guided from a young age will be so much better off. That's how it should be done.

The placards should read "not for sale to irresponsible parents".

ATV safety

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-15          71212

A few years back Canada got a new law called the Young Offenders Act, it was widely condenmed as too lenient, but it had a few clever twists, the main one being it gave the provinces the right to hold parents accountable for their children's actions no matter how minor.

Ontario has taken full advantage of this, the revised laws which cover all motorized vehicles, allows fines to be levied against the parents of offenders under 18. In the case of repeated or serious offences they can confiscate the vehicle with which the offence took place.

Parents learn REAL fast when they lose a $12,000 toy..

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login