Go Bottom Go Bottom

High pressure washer problem

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-07          59087

I have had problems with my Sears 2400# pressure washer since last fall. I posted a note about the symptoms at that time and most felt the check valves were gummed up. I stored it this winter with RV antifreeze after flushing several times with vinegar. Each time I used it, I would flush it again. The only way I seem to be able to get the engine to kick up to HP is by flipping from low pressure on the wand to HP while holding the trigger open, and then it does not seem to have the poop it did.

I did notice a hesitation/delay in the engine reaction since it was new, but since I never owned one prior to this thought that was normal.

Now to this summer. It still operates the same way, I have to somehow jar the water supply to make it run up. I completely dismantled the pump and check valves and found everything fairly clean and free from corrosion. I just finished reassembling the unit but it is too dark to try it. I doubt anything changed as I found nothing wrong.

The power plant is a 5.5 Honda and I am wondering if the governor could be adjusted a bit heavy. If I hold the trigger open on the wand when it is set at H/P, I can make it run up by either turning the rpm down slightly and back up or bumping the governor linkage. It still does not seem to have quite the pressure it should at that point either but once in a great while you can feel it increase. I believe I have been chasing a ghost with that pump and that the problem might well lie with the governor, but I am not very familiar with these new small engines like this Honda.

Anyone had to adjust one of these, no instructions in the manual except return to dealer (Sears).

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-07          59089

cutter, what model Honda engine is it the GX 160, or GCV 160? ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-07          59091

It is the GCV160 Chief. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-07          59096

test ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-07          59098

OK, let's make this attempt to post #4. I posted this 3 times and the message said successfully posted and nothing posted. Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I will post it just in case.

Link to Honda GVC 160 Owner's Manaul:

http://honda-engines.com/Engines_owners_manuals/ownersmanuals/31ZM0A03.pdf ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-07          59099

I don't know what is the problem here but I attempted to post the Honda owner's manual link 5 times and it would not take it, just disappeared. You can still copy and paste to your web browser. Sorry Cutter! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-08          59124

Hey cutter, was that the info. you were looking for? ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-08          59138

At work Chief, will check when I can get a chance. Thanks a ton for all the effort! ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-08          59140

Chief, this is the manual that I have. It does not detail anything about the governor or throttle controls. It looks as though I will have to feel my way through it. Hopefully I can identify the method necessary to set it properly, if that is indeed the ghost I am hunting on this thing. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-07-08          59141

The fact that you have to jiggle the water supply sounds like something is clogged in the pressure side of the equation. Have you back flushed the wand? and cleaned the nozzles? Is the intake screen clean

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-08          59164

Intake is clean and low pressure is good. I will check the HP hose, but I doubt that is the problem. I bought a new nozzle with the same results. Thanks Dennis. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-08          59173

This thing is really getting to me :<. I am back to the check valve thing, but I do not for the life of me know where the problem is occurring. I tested the relief valve by letting the machine run at full throttle and it started to spew the hot water after about a minute or so. When I tried the wand, it operated perfectly with all the pressure of a new machine. Off/on with the trigger and it did not miss a beat until apparently the pump cooled back down and it was back to malfunction.

The only thing that could be causing this is something sticking that is released by the hot water, but where? I completely removed the three check valves under the allen caps and they appeared to be ok. The other three are pressed into place under seals in the valve body, I assume I would destroy them if I tried to remove from the pump. I could see the end of each one, clean and operational as I pressed each one numerous times to try and make it stick or fail. I even checked for an indication of an internal leak between journals on the machined brass surfaces and could find nothing. I'm ready to stick it out by the blue box%#&$#!. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-08          59178

Try letting the unloader valve get warm and dump and use it a few times like you said in your last post. May just be stuck from setting for so long. Maybe that will free up what ever is stuck. I also spray silcone oil into the water intake of mine to help lube things up inside. Not sure if that does any good or not. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-07-10          59315

cutter -

Be mindful of what you put into your unit for lubrication. Oils, even silicone as Chief mentioned, can potentially be the end of your working capacity.

Pressure washer components such as diaphragms, seals, and o-rings come in a variety of different materials. However, the vast majority of these components are NOT permissive to petroleum based oils or silicone treatments.

These seals and the like will absorb the lubricant, and in very short time, usually within minutes, will turn to a mushy goo. You think you have problems now? Wait until one of your seals "meltsdown" from a shot of oil.

The best lubricant for these units, is a detergent soap additive. Regular old dishwashing detergent will not only be "gentle on your hands", but on the seals too, however, much like in your sink, it will remove contaminants from the surfaces without damage to the surfaces. Besides the cleaning aspect, it will also aid in the rejuvenation of the seal resiliency.

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-07-10          59319

cutter -

I revisited your initial posting. You point out that you had flushed and stored your washer for the winter with RV antifreeze. I used to winterize the water pipes at various camps/cottages with RV antifreeze as well. UNTIL...I realized that the antifreeze will actually freeze, at -25F.

This past winter was a doozey out my way in VT, coming in at nearly -30F for three to four weeks straight. I have to wonder if perhaps some of that antifreeze either did in fact freeze and bent or hairline fractured an integral part of the pump, causing an internal leak under certain conditions, or damage to the seals or ceramics in some way.

I know that the advertisement points out that it is safe for pipes , non-toxic, yada, yada, yada, but it may not be good for pressure washers particularly in adverse temperature environments. I have always drained mine down by opening up the pump drain, then rolling the washer over on its side a few times to ensure absolutely all the water had exited for storage. Without tipping the unit or rolling it over, there is as much as a half cup of water or more nestled in the cavities of these pumps.

Here's a thought - does your unit have a primer button on the pump? If it does , are you certain that it is not drawing air in? This would account for the unit working with maximum output pressure adjusted, highest call for water and heat generation, but when you step it down, the water cools...the call for water pressure is diminished...and the pressure against the pump diminishes...perhaps the pump is then drawing a higher volume of air in and cavitating?
Pulling straws here I know, but maybe it'll help.

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-07-11          59328

Cutter;
My pressure washer appears to work in a similar manner. I also have a Honda Engine. I hold the trigger down for a minute and suddenly it kicks in and supplies pressure. I have only used it lately for washing the truck etc. so have not fussed as it always does kick in. I have not run it with soap for a long time so it may be lack of lubrication? ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-11          59367

Several excellent points made here. The pump has been stored inside an area that is above freezing, so nothing has cracked. The soap idea sounds good, I am going to flush it with that and hope for the best. My pump will not kick to HP unless I do something such as tap the throttle, then it kicks in. Very puzzling but I am reasonably certain the problem lies within a valve somewhere. I just hate to start replacing parts needlessly, so I am making every effort to diagnose. The one thing I have not checked is the relief valve that vents the water when it heats. I am wondering if there is a buffering effect that could reduce the reaction of the valving when opening the trigger on the wand. It seems to function normally but when it was new a good deal more water was vented when sitting idle. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-11          59368

By the way Eric, is that a Sears brand with the four injector tanks mounted above/behind the motor? ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-07-12          59371

You guys should again be able to post to all threads ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-07-12          59373

Dennis - I thought it posted yesterday. I guess I have been sensored.

Cutter - my unit is a Karcher 2400HH see below. As Sears purchases from a number of manufactures it is hard to say if the component are the same. I gather from the earlier post that your engine is horizontal, mine is vertical, but the same basic Honda engine. The pump sound different but?
I will try adjusting power on my unit to see if the pressure will kick on. It may help determine if it is a governor problem. I can not see how though. ....

Link:   Karcher

View my Photos
Peters

2003-07-12          59374

Hard to know if it is censored or sensored with new computer technology ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-07-12          59375

Peters,

The board had a message number problem that began to foul things up at about 5pm Friday, all messages with bad numbers had to be deleted to prevent neverending havoc.

Dennis
Tractorpoint ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-12          59377

Eric, my reply was delete during the web fix. I think the problem lies with the pump. When it heats up the thing is ok. I removed the relief valve this morning, cleaned and installed. Have not had an opportunity to try it yet but I am convince it is a valving problem at this point. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-12          59378

Hey, if any of you guys want to really get censored go over to the "other tractor board". This is the best tractor board on the net, you can't even mention Rush Limbaugh or say POS on the "other tractor board" Not all but alot of liberal pussy ass tea totalers over there. You're doing a great job Dennis! Now I will probably get censored. ;o) ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-12          59379

Rush is right 99% of the time, perhaps I could ask him what is wrong with this thing. I can imagine what this would cost to have one of those kids at Sears repairing it, probably end up cheaper buying another new one. I like the look and price of that Kircher. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-12          59380

cutter, you said you tried vinegar but that is just not strong enough, try the hygenic scented "Summer's Eve" dousche. ;o) Just razzin' ya! If you are thinking about a new pressure washer, here is the link to the one I just bought and it is a hause of a washer for the money and has run great so far. They are out of stock right now but give them a call and find out if and when they will get more. It was $749 delivered, no tax. Have a great weekend! ....

Link:   Link to THE Tractor Point Best Buy Pressure Washer

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-12          59386

I could never justify another new machine, this one is less than two years old and has not had more than a dozen tanks of fuel run through it. I'm simply frustrated with the problem. Perhaps I corrected it today when I cleaned the relief valve, we shall see in the morning.

I bought one of those return lawn mowers from Sears and it needs a bath. Salesman called me today and told me the model I was interested in showed up in the returned bin, marked way down plus an additional 20% off today. A fully equipped 6.5 hp rear bagger, self propelled rear drive. I have an Ariens that is about three years old with the swivel wheels in the front but when one of the rear wheels lifts or loses traction the mower stops (stops fast because I mow fast) and I end up with the handle in the gut. I never checked for that feature when I purchased that one assuming all rear drives were locked, not so. My 1977 Lawn Boy still works but the drive spindles are worn smooth from 25 years of use and the handle is a bit worn. This Sears model is the best one I have seen yet and could not beat the price! ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-07-13          59399

Morning Cutter I tried to post this Fri. Try envirospec.com they have a very good tech library. Also if you need parts or soaps theirs seem the best for the money. I'd looked at a lot of sites for pressure washers/advice/soaps/washing and found this one buried in the search 4-5 years ago.

Most of the parts I've seen on these machines are genaric. We have 2 different ones at work and I have a Hotsey here, I LIKE HOTSEY! They're a little pricey but it has worked with out a hic cup for 5 years. I buy all my small parts at envirospec. I replace nozzles very often have several wands for different jobs all Stainless Steel connectors...

The only problem I have with Sears (I used sears alot because of the world wide support while I was traveling) is a vendor will not talk to you for parts you have to go thru sears. IE: Air compressor built by Devbliss (SP) the compressor part was almost $200 at sears and less than $100 thru devbliss. I still buy lots of tools at sears. Matter of fact after I got PO'd about that I bought another Air compressor from Sears on clearance because of scratch and dent so price was right and the quality is there. You can not beat the warranty on hand tools and electric tools are throw away anyway, now.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR QUEST Harvey ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-13          59405

Thanks for the advise Harvey. I can usually identify the brand sears is selling as theirs but this washer throws me. After reading Peter's posts I went to the Kircher site, last night while at Sears I noticed several new models they are selling look just like them. They are horizontal shaft and much easier to work on. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-07-13          59407

Ok gentlemen I knew what happen I was just joking. I had spent sometime trying to find the picture of my machine and see if I could find a picture of cutters for comparison etc. and then it did not post.

Let me know what happens as mine seems to be at your initial stage of the problem. Mine is some 4 summers old and has run a number of tanks. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-13          59409

As soon as I feel comfortable running engines this morning I will try it. Hate to wake my only neighbor this early (plus the wife may want some ahem...conversation). ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-13          59422

Relief valve is OK. PROBLEM SOLVED!!! It was the diverter valve. It is housed under a treaded plastic plug and initially I was reluctant to remove it due to possible damage. Behind the plug is a heavy spring and a brass valve that operates inside a brass sleeve. It was a bit tarnished, could find nothing else wrong. I polished it and blew the orifice clear in the valve body. The machine actually works better than it did when I brought it home, I am wondering if was partially stuck when new. Eric, I believe I saw your machine at Sears re-badged for them, it appears your valve is easily accessed. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-07-13          59432

Thank Cutter I will give it a try once it stop raining. I will let you know if it works. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-13          59439

I thought I was done with this problem but as soon as I tried the detergent dispenser the problem reoccurred. I was able to operate it by switching from low to HP with the nozzle but the valve stuck when left solely on HP. I pulled it apart again, sanded the seat and valve and blew it out again. Works like new again. I suppose the next step is to find the valve assemble and replace it. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-14          59498

Stopped at the Sears repair center this noon. I picked up two complete unloader valve assemblies for $11 each. I figured if the first one made it a year before the problems really started showing I should have at least one spare.

I am still convinced the machine never operated at full pressure but just short of that and by the way, the name on the parts bag is Generac. Thanks for all the advise. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login